Vanilla Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by SCLisi

• “Comfort in a cup. After all the teas that I have sampled, this one tea remains my favorite. The vanilla and chai are in perfect harmony. Had this tea two ways tonight: plain and traditional chai...” Read full tasting note
    threewhales 304 tasting notes
  • “I bought this tea because my nephew Brennan said it was good and he thought I would like it. I was eager to cup this despite it being at least partially artificially flavored. In my...” Read full tasting note
    ScottTeaMan 101 tasting notes
  • “The third bagged tea of the day yesterday. My dad and I had teas while my mom was at a finance meeting in the evening (she’s the office manager/accountant at her workplace). He boiled the...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes
  • “Mmmm. This is my ideal dessert tea. Plain, although I keep meaning to try it with milk. Sipping and reading Watchmen. Checked it out of my college’s library. This is one thick graphic novel.” Read full tasting note
    supermoon10 391 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Chai is a delightful blend of tea and exotic spices. It is often brewed with milk, which gives Chai a wonderful, creamy characteristic. In Bigelow Vanilla Chai we have added the flavor of vanilla, offering you a whole new dimension in Chai.

Ingredients: black tea, spices, natural and artificial flavors (soy lecithin)

About Bigelow View company

I decided to dye my hair today, not just my usual black dye but a full out color change. First I had to bleach it, which takes forever! I left the tips black and the rest faded from pale blond to dark brown, then the dye application. I am currently the owner of cobalt to black ombre hair, it looks pretty cool. The annoying part is of course my bathtub is the most porous thing in existence and is also blue, so I need to get some heavy scrubbing on after I go to the store for the proper supplies. Usually I am all for the ‘no chemicals’ approach to house cleaning, but there are sometimes when you just need a bottle of bleach.

If you have ever strolled through a supermarket in the US’s tea and coffee aisle you have probably seen a box of Vanilla Chai by Bigelow Tea. Created from black tea, spices, natural and artificial flavoring. I tend to avoid teas with artificial flavoring because I find that they taste fake so I do not have the highest hopes for this little teabag. The aroma of the teabag is very sweet, strong creamy vanilla notes with underlying spices. It smells quite warm and like vanilla fudge. The aroma is rich and very sweet, good if you have a sweet tooth.

The aroma of the steeped tea is very intensely creamy vanilla, like vanilla ice cream with a dusting of spices and an extremely delicate hint of malt. The aroma reminds me of the vanilla non-dairy creamer for coffee that you find in the same section of the grocery store this tea is in. I don’t hate that aroma, in fact I have been known to just drink creamers on occasion, but it is not an aroma I want to associate with tea.

Adding cream and a touch of sugar since this is a chai makes the tea taste like vanilla cream and a touch of nuttiness and the most delicate hint of spices. Not surprisingly the tea tastes like the non-dairy vanilla creamer that it smelled like, but with a hint of spice and black tea malt. This tea isn’t terrible, if I was at a restaurant and was given a mug of this instead of Lipton (cringe) I would be thrilled, but I do not see myself seeking this out of my own volition.

For photos and blog:

Flavors: Vanilla

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

For a moment there I thought you were going to use this tea as bleach ;D

Also, I have always thought that Bigelow teas have the most hideous packages and packets when it comes to graphic design… or even simple color-coordination ;)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Ha! That would have been amazing…also a little scary :P I agree, I have never been a fan of their packages.

Definitely loved this tea. It’s very vanilla-y and comforting, doesn’t need a speck of sugar. Wish it were stronger.

It was 48 degrees this morning and it got me into the spirit of the coming fall. So, I made myself a cup of Vanilla Chai tea by Bigelow. It was yummy. I Love the smell of it. It’s got plenty of spice to wake up the mouth, but not overpowering. I added a bit of sugar and because it is a little weak on cream I added a bit of cream. It was smooth. I like the vanilla hanging in the background adding just enough flavor to mellow out the spices.

This is a tea bag. Another one that’s just “okay”. Maybe it would be better if I were eating something complementary with it like chocolate or something.

Another of my favorite vanilla blends. Not my favorite chai, but really tasty and not too spicy.

Super yummy with a layer of foamy soymilk _

This is one of my favorite relaxing teas (well, for a black tea). It has a very calming flavor to it. I’ve had better chai teas in terms of the spices, and overall “chai” experience, but this will stay one of my top teas, and one that will always be stocked in my tea hoard.

I usually steep it really hot, for a really long time, one teabag for half a cup’s worth of water. I let mine steep anywhere from fifteen to thirty minutes. Then I add milk/cream, and lots of sugar. It’s ridiculous, and flavorful, and one of the best things for getting through the weird mental lull that happens at around 2/3pm at work.

Boiling 8 min or more

This tea by far is my favorite tea. It is rich, and the kind of tea that you can drink in any mood. I follow the authentic brewing method on the box, but instead I even out the water to milk ratio (50/50 for me). Sweetened with honey, and it is the best.

Though I wouldn’t say it’s heaven in a cup, this has quickly become my go-to tea for homework-filled afternoons. A little bit of honey and a drop of milk make for a good, three-dimensional taste.

I see some not so great reviews on this one so maybe I’m by myself here but I loved this tea. I don’t really like super strong chai teas, they have too much of a spicy flavor so I think that’s why. I’m so upset that I can’t find it anymore! I’ve been using the Bigelow regular Spiced Chai with some vanilla extract. The only thing I do have to say is that I agree with some people saying that milk cancels out the flavors.