Plantation Mint

Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Amanda

2 Images

From Bigelow

Feeling like the market needed a refreshing mint tea, Eunice Bigelow took to the kitchen to create one of her first blends for the company. She started with a rich, flavorful black tea and then blended just the right amount of mint. One sip and you will see Award Winning Plantation Mint is clean and smooth with the perfect mint finish!

Ingredients: black tea, spearmint

Taste Profile: Strong refreshing spearmint with underlying mild smoky notes
Aroma: Enveloping aroma of soothing spearmint
Liquor: Dark amber
Recommended Temperature: 208º F

STEEPING INSTRUCTIONS
Be sure to start with fresh cold water and bring to a rolling boil. Pour over tea bag, steep for 4 minutes (or whatever time you like), remove bag (but no squeezing please!).

For Iced Tea by the Glass: Steep a little longer. Pour over ice.

About Bigelow View company

Hello Steepster. Sorry I’ve been absent. Its not been my intention. I’m just very busy, and a little ill. My stomach is really choosy right now, making me loose my appetite, and not wanting more than a few bites. I didn’t want to try my usually beloved black tea, this morning, so my boyfriend rummaged and found some mint tea for me.
Good old mint tea. Does wonders for a jumpy stomach, and always makes me calmer. Its powerful stuff.

Probably the best blend I’ve encountered from Bigelow. Their herbals are too hibiscus-heavy, and their chais are weak— the astringent black base overpowers them. This one is perfectly balanced and reliable. I like the subtle earth notes and the cleanness of the mint.

That being said, I probably won’t restock it once it’s gone, which after tomorrow, it will be. It was pleasant enough, but not worthy of a permanent status in my cupboard. Onward!

Flavors: Earth, Spearmint

dragondrool

The first time I ever tried this tea I was not impressed at all. The taste reminded me of the smell “eau de gym sock”. I avoided mint tea for the longest time after that, until I tried Moroccan mint a couple of years ago. Loving that, I bought a fresh boxc of Plantation mint to give it another go, and found it to be quite pleasant the second time around. Not an everyday go-to tea, by any means, but nice. I think that initial tea bag wayyyyy back when must of have just been ancient. I probably won’t restock this one, either, but I am glad I tried it again.

teaqueen

Lol “eau de gym sock.” Yeah, unfortunately I mostly end up settling for bagged teas during the week because they’re just easier to make at work. This one was just “tolerable” but decidedly not “fabulous.” I had to double-bag it to get a drinkable cuppa out of it.

Haley Dee

Your evaluation of Bigelow tea’s is spot on! I think Bigelow is generally the bottom of the barrel, haven’t tried this one but I’m weary of mint in general

teaqueen

Me too. Mint is overused.

My first sip of this tea was a bit disappointing; it tasted like I’d made a spearmint tisane. The underlying black tea was very weak. After “over steeping” it, however, I found that I had a smooth cup of black tea with the refreshing taste of spearmint. :)

The second steeping is much more black tea. There is just enough mint to have a nice refreshing tingle in the aftertaste.

Flavors: Spearmint

Um…this tea is okay, but it always reminds me of being sick. Its a little too much spearmint and not enough other flavors.

This tea weirds me out a little bit for political reasons. I suppose a plantation is just a place with plants, but I cannot help but associate it with America’s unhappy history in the slave trade. But the tea’s fine.

A good mint tea to keep on hand. Nothing too special, but enjoyable. Smells delightful! Just make sure you know it also has black tea.
Make sure to keep to the short steep time, as the flavor can come apart and be quite unpleasant otherwise.

Really great iced..so refreshing!

This is a nice, smooth mint blend with a medium-strength black tea as its base. I like it, but since I like to sweeten my tea and I have often had this in situations where I was actually denied access to sugar (due to obese assholes who were on a diet that they imposed on everyone that failed anyways), it has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth, if only by negative association. I know it’s pretty good, but I think I’ll wait and try it again, when things are better and I’m less likely to have to deal with jerks so frequently.

I like this a lot. Affordable and nice flavor.

Yet another one of my favorite teas, this is one that’s good anytime, even in an instance where you have a sore throat. Even though I do like peppermint, this is my favorite :) This is another one that I usually steep for four minutes and fourty five seconds