Earl Grey

Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Mike Templeton

From Bigelow

A really fine cup of tea is one of life’s true pleasures. We heartily recommend Earl Grey for the enjoyment it will bring to your tea drinking. This delicately scented, aristocratic blend is an international favorite.

About Bigelow View company

1974 tasting notes

So after a day out with Kristina prior to the concert we met up with two of her friends right before out went out for supper. Both of her friends, Garett (I might be spelling that wrong) and Travis were really nice and very welcoming; although we didn’t have much in common other than Kristina.

We went out to a local cafe on the same block (I’d been before; it’s a nice place – kinda styled to be like an old fashioned Diner). Kristina got stew, Garett got Fish & Chips, Travis went with fries and a coke, and I couldn’t resist breakfast for supper; so toast, eggs, hash browns, and a cup of EG. Obviously this was not the most quality EG blend – but it was good enough for the situation, and I wasn’t expecting top class from the restaurant anyway. I’ve learned not to do that.

Kristina’s friend Garett very kindly paid for all of our food, which just blew me away. It was a really, really nice gesture. And then, after that we headed off to the show. We got there at about 7:30PM, but the band didn’t actually start playing until like 9:30 – so for a while we just kinda hung out and talked, and everyone checked out the band merchandise.

Travis actually ended up paying for my ticket to the show since he hadn’t had to pay for his supper (I felt like everyone was being really nice ‘cause I was so uncomfortable and out of my depth just being there), but then because he’d done that he didn’t have the cash to get the band shirt he wanted – so I paid for that since I hadn’t had to pay for a thing all night at this point. I didn’t mind doing it ‘cause even if I didn’t enjoy the style of music we were seeing so much, everyone else did – and only a cut of ticket sales goes to the band; but merch. goes straight to them so probably the best way to support ’em.

We met up later with Kristina’s cousin; he seemed nice and really intellectual. He’s from Regina, like Kristina and I, but just recently moved to Saskatoon. Once the music really got going they all migrated up to the front of the stage, but I stayed and hung out at the back – and proceeded to drink, a lot. From about 10:00PM to 2:00AM when the concert ended, I had a constant stream of Fuzzy Navels in front of me. Kristina originally offered to hang out with me sitting down, but I know that’s not her thing so I insisted she go head bang right up at the front of the stage like I knew she wanted to do.

That’s just not me; even if this hadn’t of been a Metal Concert I’ve never been that person who wants to get up close and personal with the band; I much prefer to sit back and do my own thing. But as it was, the concert was a Metal one and most of it just sounded very loud and like screaming to me, but with a pretty good beat overall. It got better the more alcohol was in my system, that’s for sure.

For a while there was a moshpit going; basically everyone I was with was in it. It was small, but intense. Kristina ended up bruised pretty well everywhere from the waist down (like deep, intense bruises), Garett had this MASSIVE red bruise right between his eyes, and Travis wound up with this huge gouge under his right eyes and a killer black eye as well (it was already starting to go super purple and look swollen at the end of the night). Plus it was of course very, very loud. There would be moments between songs or when bands were switching over (five people played) where no music was going, and everything had that half/deaf tunnel sound – if I could hear at all. Some moments I was pretty much totally deaf (and I was at the very far back of the club); can’t imagine what it was like up front. And they were all just so happy about it.

I have to say though, out of everything last night there was a pretty awesome moment when the headlining band played something I recognized! Here’s the link to it on Youtube, so you can all enjoy it too:

Again, nothing against Metal music AT ALL but man that’s not my kind of thing. Though if I learned anything, it was that Metal Heads are super, super welcoming to Newbs like me, and really nice people. Lots of people can get snobby or protective about their music, but they were all like “Hey, Welcome! Come on in – here’s what’s going down tonight! Get involved and love it!”.

… And after all that we went home to my place where we promptly fell asleep ’cause Kristina was coming off her Adrenaline rush and I had to be at work in six hours. Blah.

Indigobloom

Sounds like a blast!! well except for the bruising part. You have good friends :)

Roswell Strange

**Under his right eye; he does not have multiple right eyes.

Not in love with this Earl Grey but my dad brought me a couple bags of this when he came over for coffee with my grandmother and I the other day. I like some of the Bigelow teas, but I definitely want to try more brands.

I actually used to hate Earl Grey because I always thought it smelled like anise. A mother whose child I tutored used to bring me Earl Grey every morning regardless of the fact that I never drank it. I finally drank it one morning when I was sick, and I think I’ve sort of associated it with soothing every since then. I forgot about it for a long time after that. It wasn’t until about a month ago that I got tea one night when I wasn’t feeling well and this was my only option. After reading the package and finding that there wasn’t any anise in it, I had to look up what bergamot is to see if that was what the smell comes from. I still don’t smell or taste citrus when I drink this even though that is what bergamot is. Anyway, I have been craving it so much lately and drinking it often.

This is an absolute middle-of-the-road Earl Grey. It’s not bad, but it isn’t particularly fantastic either. The sachet boasts of hand-picked tea leaves and real bergamot imported from Italy, but it actually tastes less authentic than Twinings, which lists “bergamot flavoring” as an ingredient rather than actual bergamot.

The bag smells nice, but I’ve been fooled by some very nice-smelling bags before. The problem here is that the nice aroma from the bag really doesn’t show in the cup. If you steep it for too long, it gets bitter, and if you steep it for a reasonable amount of time, the flavor is weak. At best, this tea will remind you that you enjoy drinking higher quality Earl Greys, but I assume it would suffice in a pinch.

Training full-time for a job that will become part-time after I finish training. Haven’t had much time for fun or for tea in this past few days, nor will I until Friday night, probably. I think I’m going to love the job though. The company is really great, and there is a LOT of opportunity for many different career paths and full-time work within it. This job I’m training for right now is really just a starting point.

Anyway, I managed to drink this in the break room yesterday in between orientation sessions. It’s probably the best Bigelow blend I’ve had. Inoffensive and low-maintenance, anyway. It provided me with the caffeine boost that I needed.

TeaBrat

good luck!

For a relatively cheap tea, this tea is surprisingly good! When I first tried it, I was not happy with it whatsoever. But, once I tried it again, it really is pretty good!

If you’re looking for a cheap, reliable, smooth earl grey that’s found at almost any store in the country, Bigelow Earl Grey is a good choice!

Also, it uses real oil of bergamot, which a lot of cheap teas do not! I am greatly impressed with it!

All in all, if you don’t have a box of it, give it a try.

I expressed interest in this one after trying some other Bigelow teas and mom surprised me with it one day. I don’t exactly need more EGs, but I always appreciate them.

This one is pretty decent. The bergamot in it is actually perfect, just the right amount and intensity of fruit for my taste. The tea itself is bright, just a little astringent, and very nice for bagged. I wish it had a little more kick to it, because the aftertaste is slightly watery, but it’s still surprisingly good. I don’t think I touched this company until this year but I’m impressed by their consistency. Everything I’ve tried so far I would drink again.

I was a little surprised by the shortness of the recommended steep, but I’ve followed it nonetheless. I can taste the bergamot — I’m guessing it’s short so as not to let it be too overpowering? But I feel like I’m missing something — it’s almost more flowery than citrusy or tea-y, and… yeah. it’s not bad, but it’s not doing it for me.

I had a cup of this filter bag Earl Grey today after a lovely lunch at the Center for European Studies, where I was catching up with a former colleague. The tea was fine. I drank it with two of those small plastic containers of half and half, so it was more like an Earl Grey latte than a cup of tea, but it was just fine. No complaints: a simple and quick cup of tea for the road. It might have tasted a bit better because of the antarctic weather…

Recently made the switch from coffee. It’s not that I’ve never had tea….just never drank it on a regular basis until now. We have the Bigelow Earl Grey K-Cups at work and I decided to give it a try. I’ve had many different kinds of tea before but never an Earl Grey. But I figured, if it’s good enough for Picard it’s good enough for me! I was pleasantly surprised to a bold earthy flavor that made the transition from coffee seem effortless. I’ve had this tea in bags as well and it has the same, now familiar, soothing taste. I look forward to delving deeper into the world of tea and I will always credit this Earl Grey for giving me a push in the right direction.

This is my go-to tea when I’m not feeling well. I really like it with sugar or honey to sweeten. It does wonders to soothe a sore throat. :) Enjoy!