English Teatime - Decaffeinated

Edit tea info Last updated by mindala

• “I grew up in a house where Lipton is consumed more than any other beverage. My family thought I was a bit of a tea snob, what with my hoity-toity fancy pants Bigelow teas and all. Nowadays, with...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1289 tasting notes
  • “So, I went to a birthday party for one of my friends and ended up walking outside a lot in the freezing cold. If you are not aware, it's been snowing and sleeting and raining in New York City, and...” Read full tasting note
    teaplz 186 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the afternoon here. I picked this up at the grocery store yesterday. Most decaf black teas I've tasted have been terrible no matter where they come from, so I figured I would get something...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2339 tasting notes
  • “I was never a big fan of this tea but it seems to have gotten worse. I've recently realized that the tea falls out of the teabag within seconds of steeping it (I've been seeing this for a couple...” Read full tasting note
    angie 11 tasting notes

From Bigelow

Black Tea with English Tradition. “Typically English, rich in flavor, and appropriate for any tea drinking occasion.”

About Bigelow View company

I grew up in a house where Lipton is consumed more than any other beverage. My family thought I was a bit of a tea snob, what with my hoity-toity fancy pants Bigelow teas and all. Nowadays, with the large amount of loose teas in my possession, they just think I am a psycho tea weirdo. They might be correct. The mail lady was getting suspicious at all my packages from faraway lands until my wife explained it to her. Now she agrees with my family. Such is the life of an enthusiast.

One thing I know is I am not a tea snob as I really enjoyed this little gem last night. It is inexpensive bagged tea. Snobs don’t do inexpensive or bagged. It is also decaffeinated. I thought this was very fragrant. It smells like tea. While there is not a lot of depth, it tasted nice and took sweetener well. There are times when that is all I need.

So, I went to a birthday party for one of my friends and ended up walking outside a lot in the freezing cold. If you are not aware, it’s been snowing and sleeting and raining in New York City, and everything is pretty frigid.

So I got in the door, shivering and shaking, and immediately wanted a cup of tea. So I pretty much grabbed the first bag I laid my hands on that was decaf, that just so happened to be Bigelow’s English Teatime.

Honestly, this is one of those cases where you can barely pick out anything about the flavor or texture or experience of the tea. I really just wanted a hot, fast beverage, one that would warm me up on this very cold night, and English Teatime Decaf delivered in that way. It’s not the best blend by far, but it has a tea taste (and a fairly decent one at that, for a bag, and when I mean decent, I mean better than Liptons [which I guess is low-balling it a bit]), and that’s all that I wanted from this tea. So for the moment, it succeeded.

Memorable? No. Functional? Yes.

Tea of the afternoon here. I picked this up at the grocery store yesterday. Most decaf black teas I’ve tasted have been terrible no matter where they come from, so I figured I would get something cheap = low risk factor :)

This is ok, it reminds me of a ceylon a lot in flavor. Nothing remarkable, yet it doesn’t have some of the bitter/funky aftertaste I’ve had with a lot of other decaf teas. It tastes like tea, and this is a good thing. It’s nice with soymilk and sugar added. I can barely tell this is a decaf. This will be good for those times I am craving something basic but without the caffeine. Not bad, Bigelow…

I was never a big fan of this tea but it seems to have gotten worse. I’ve recently realized that the tea falls out of the teabag within seconds of steeping it (I’ve been seeing this for a couple of weeks now). Either the boxes I’ve been drinking were defects or Bigelow has changed something in the bag manufacturing that renders it nearly useless

A decent black tea, as far as bag teas go. Good with soy milk.

Even the smallest quantities of caffeine make me feel like my eyes are popping out of my skull, so I was pleased that this had no such effect. This had a pretty classic black tea taste. Nothing complicated. Just tea.