Black Oolong Blend
Chinese Keemun Black Tea, Lapsang Souchong, Oolong Tea
Forest Floor, Meat, Pine, Smoked, Smooth, Earth, Smoke, Sweet, Wood
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Last received sample from my order… I am sad that I did not order whole pouch! Hmm, it is really delicious! That says enough, right? Okay, I know it doesn’t. Opening tea bag brought me strong smoke...” Read full tasting note
  • “#adventageddon Day One – 1/5 It’s December 1st!! Advent Season is officially here!! I’m doing five advents this year, hopefully posting them daily on instagram – but also I’m going to try my best...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 11 I don’t seem to like smoked teas as much as I remember, but I’m usually willing to give them a try. Dry, this one definitely smells meaty – like a...” Read full tasting note
  • “No notes for this one? I’m kind of surprised about that, because it’s been out a while – I think since last autumn? Anyway, I should probably preface this by saying that smoky teas are generally...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Lapsang Souchong Russian Caravan tea – an ancient smoky blend!

Here you are Teabirds, finally a Lapsang Souchong tea. This Smoky Russian Caravan tea evokes the aroma of this ancient blends trading route, infused by the smoke of the campfires along its journey from China.

Formosa oolong tea, Lapsang Souchong tea, Mao Feng Keemun tea

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Last received sample from my order…
I am sad that I did not order whole pouch! Hmm, it is really delicious!

That says enough, right?
Okay, I know it doesn’t.

Opening tea bag brought me strong smoke aroma. They say it is pinewood smoked Lapsang Souchong; but although I want a smokehouse, we don’t have it. And I don’t know anyone who have. So I can’t be sure if it is pinewood smoke.

But… Brewed tea!
I expected it bit less smoky but actually almost all smoke flavour is gone. But some remained and that’s just right level of it. It was smooth with flavours, little bit of forest aroma/taste (I know you can’t eat forest, but you know what I mean with forest flavour, right). It!s bit meaty too. But that smooth taste and aftertaste…

Base tea isn’t much pronounced, which is bit sad to be honest. It’s smooth, but some malty or sweet flavours would make it little bit better for sure!

EDIT: Tasting note no. 600 !!!

Flavors: Forest Floor, Meat, Pine, Smoked, Smooth

205 °F / 96 °C 4 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 300 ML
Nattie

Woohoo, congrats on 600 notes!!

mrmopar

Wow Martin!

tea-sipper

Congrats on 600!

#adventageddon Day One – 1/5

It’s December 1st!! Advent Season is officially here!! I’m doing five advents this year, hopefully posting them daily on instagram – but also I’m going to try my best to keep up with reviewing all five daily here on Steepster as well. Halfway through the month I’ll be adding in a sixth “advent” as well (it’s a “12 Days of Tea” advent) so that’ll bump me up to six daily teas…

This is day one of Bird and Blend’s BYO advent – so what that means is that I hand selected all of the teas coming in that advent; so I know what I’m getting but not the days I’m getting it. I picked this one because it’s a Russian Caravan blend, and I love those – I’ve just not yet had the chance to try this company’s take on it. It was the first one I made today because I thought it would be nice to start the day with more of a “straight” tea, and I liked the idea of a brisk, full bodied smoke blend to help perk me up first thing today.

I liked this one a lot – I think it’s pretty safe/standard for Russian Caravan but I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with that! It’s really quite smokey and full bodied, and very forward with it’s deep woody notes. The finish is a bit metallic/mineral to me but I’m not turned off by that, and there’s a little bit of jammy red fruit sweetness poking through the wood and smoke as well which I’m gonna attribute to the keemun in this blend. It’s well rounded, and the smoke pleasantly coats the mouth and throat.

I don’t know what this blend actually costs – but if it’s not terribly high I think this would be a really solid way to incorporate more Lapsang Souchong into my tea line up. It definitely elicited a pretty big smile from me this morning!

Shae

This one sounds amazing! Also, I’m so impressed that you are doing five advents. I need to up my game. :)

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 11

I don’t seem to like smoked teas as much as I remember, but I’m usually willing to give them a try. Dry, this one definitely smells meaty – like a barbecue restaurant.

The steeped tea smells earthier, but still reminds me of smoked meat.

I actually quite like this one, which is surprising to me. I guess it’s because it’s rather light-bodied with the oolong included? There’s a nice balance of pleasant earthiness with wood, malt, and a good dose of pine smoke. I’m not really getting meat as much in the taste as I did in the aroma. It’s very smooth, with no bitterness at all after a 3-minute steep.

I’m really digging this one. It’s warm and comforting, making me think of sitting around a campfire with friends, all bundled up in blankets. Lovely!

Flavors: Earth, Meat, Pine, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Wood

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

No notes for this one? I’m kind of surprised about that, because it’s been out a while – I think since last autumn? Anyway, I should probably preface this by saying that smoky teas are generally not my thing. There was a time when just the thought would make me stomach turn, but thankfully my aversion isn’t that strong anymore. I still don’t drink many smoky teas, though, and I tend not to seek them out. I’ll try the occasional one, though, because when it comes to tea I feel like continuing to challenge my preconceptions is still a valid thing to do. I wouldn’t be drinking pu’erh, oolong or green tea otherwise, and that really would be a loss.

The scent of the dry leaf is strong, reminiscent of beef jerky with hints of barbecue smoke. Based on the name, I was hoping for more of a cigarette smoke/men’s club type of scent, rather than bonfire and meat, but there you go. This blend is a mixture of Lapsang Souchong and Russian Caravan, so it contains some formosa oolong and keemun. I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3 minutes in boiling water. It brewed up to a medium golden-brown, so no additions.

To taste, it’s actually more palatable than I was expecting. The smokiness is strong, and it lingers in the aftertaste, but I don’t have the instant urge to tip the rest of the cup that I would have had at one time. It’s smoother than I expected, with no bitterness or astringency. It’s hard to say whether there are any nuances, though, or how effective the base teas are, because the smoke/meatiness simply overpowers everything else. Not a disaster, though!

Everytime I see/drink a smoky tea, I inevitably recall the way Von Smallhausen of the Gestapo says “I prefer Lapsang Souchong” in ’Allo ’Allo. The subtext of that sentence really has to be “because it reminds me of the concentration camps”, and his tone and delivery totally nail the creepy vibe (as well as being inappropriately amusing).

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp