Ultra Violet Matcha

Herbal Matcha Blend
Cardamom, Lavender, Matcha Green Tea, Natural Flavours
Bitter, Cardamon, Floral, Violet, Candy, Lavender, Perfume, Sweet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Iced 5 g 12 oz / 355 ml

• “I was really interested in this one since I have recently discovered violet tea (I’m a fan!) and lavender-flavored matcha is one of my favorite things ever. So I was highly curious about a violet...” Read full tasting note
  • “#adventageddon Day Three – 4/5 Had this one when I got home from work – just hot and straight. I’m glad it was included so early in the advent – it’s arguably the matcha from Bird and Blend that I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 14 This one sounds intriguing – violet and cardamom matcha with lavender? I’m not generally a big fan of lavender, but I do like cardamom and I’d...” Read full tasting note
  • “230/365 I made this one up as a “UV Unicorn” today, using Bird & Blend’s recipe. It’s 1/2 tsp of Ultra Violet matcha, mixed with 150ml of Blue Raspberry and poured over ice. I topped mine off...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Violet and cardamom matcha, inspired by Pantone’s Colour of the Year

One of the first floral matchas ever created. Inspired by Pantone’s Colour of the Year, Ultra Violet is a nod to our often requested Palma Violet + Purple Rain teas. Classic matcha lovers will love this. This classy and elegant matcha isn’t super sweet, you can still taste the matcha with a floral hint.

Japanese matcha green tea, cardamom, lavender, natural flavouring granules.

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I was really interested in this one since I have recently discovered violet tea (I’m a fan!) and lavender-flavored matcha is one of my favorite things ever. So I was highly curious about a violet matcha… shame B&B has already discontinued this one, but they still had old stock on the VIP page so I grabbed a sample to try during their last big sale.

I whisked this using the last of my coconut milk (I like lavender and coconut as a flavor pairing, not sure how violet will pair but since I needed to finish off the carton, I was willing to take that chance!) I like the floral flavor I’m getting, but… it’s a bit bitter. Not that bitter taste matcha itself can have, so I don’t know if its the sort of bitterness I sometimes get from going too heavy or too long with lavender buds, or if it’s just the cardamom… and I’m tempted to say it’s the cardamom. I like cardamom, but I just don’t think I like it here, paired with this flavor, like it isn’t sitting on my tongue right and leaving a spicy bitterness when I am wanting/expecting a sweet, floral cup. I am curious what this would’ve tasted like if it didn’t have the cardamom included in the powder… I think I probably would’ve preferred it that way.

No texture issues this time, but this one had a matcha base (with the B&B non-matcha powders, I seem to be getting some weird texture issues). Put the rest of my latte into a berry smoothie for tomorrow’s breakfast. Gave it a quick taste-test, and the flavor of the matcha is holding quite strong; and I still really like the floral, and really don’t like the added spice with it.

It came close for me, but didn’t quite get there…

Flavors: Bitter, Cardamon, Floral, Violet

Iced 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

#adventageddon Day Three – 4/5

Had this one when I got home from work – just hot and straight. I’m glad it was included so early in the advent – it’s arguably the matcha from Bird and Blend that I was most curious about/likely to have blindly bought a tin of. Violet flavours in tea is something that was new to me this year and I ended up trying maybe a half dozen different version of them and really liking the majority of them. The idea of a violet flavoured matcha deeply intrigues me and I just had to know what it would be like!

I actually only ended up using 1/2 the sample pot as well, so I’ll have another serving for a later time – which is good because I loved this tea. It’s probably tied with Virgin Forest for my favourite of the day, though this was definitely the most unique thing that I tried today.

I wish it was just straight up violet though because the violet note wasn’t overly floral at all and it had what I almost want to call a “juicy” sweetness to it; more like a violet candy!? However, there’s also lavender and cardamom in this blend. I liked the warming and comforting spice note of the cardamom; it definitely wasn’t stronger than the violet but it was pretty distinct all the same. I actually didn’t taste any lavender which I was relieved by because I really don’t like the idea of a lavender matcha. Lavender, to me, is more for relaxation and de-stressing but that’s not what I want out of a matcha; matcha should be energy and focus. The idea of those two concepts mashed together makes my head hurt…

This is something I would 100% purchase for myself in a larger amount – though maybe not until I’ve finished off the cardamom matcha that I already own. It’s unique and very tasty, though!

Bird & Blend Matcha Advent Calendar – Day 14

This one sounds intriguing – violet and cardamom matcha with lavender? I’m not generally a big fan of lavender, but I do like cardamom and I’d imagine the two would pair well together.

I will say, I really wish I’d sifted this one. I haven’t been bothering because as long as I start with a very small amount of warm water and whisk it into a paste, I never have an issue with lumps. But this seems to have actual tiny pieces of lavender in it, and it’s a little weird in the finished texture. But I guess they must not expect you to sift or you wouldn’t get any lavender? Strange.

Anyway, I do like this one. The lavender is a nice contrast with the creamy milk, and it’s strong but not quite too strong. I think it probably would be too strong for me prepared with water, though. I mostly taste the cardamom near the end of the sip, after the lavender has calmed down a little bit. Really, cardamom is rather floral as well, so it’s difficult to differentiate between the two.

There is some here that tastes almost candy-ish, though, which brings the whole blend down a little for me. I suppose it must be the violet flavoring, as I know violet-flavored candies are popular in Britain. But the candy element sort of clashes with the other flavors, which are more botanical.

Anyway, on to the Bonne Maman! Today’s jam is Raspberry-Lychee (Framboise-Litchi) spread. I’m excited for this one!

Hm, I will say to me, this needs more lychee. The raspberry is quite strong and overpowering. I’m not sure I would have even detected the lychee if I hadn’t known it was there. On some bites I taste it more than others, which is interesting.

I do like it, I would just vote for more lychee.

Flavors: Candy, Cardamon, Floral, Lavender, Perfume, Sweet

Iced 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mastress Alita

Hmm, I’ll have to try this one sometime. Lavender milk is one of my favorite things ever!

230/365

I made this one up as a “UV Unicorn” today, using Bird & Blend’s recipe. It’s 1/2 tsp of Ultra Violet matcha, mixed with 150ml of Blue Raspberry and poured over ice. I topped mine off with sparkling water. I wasn’t sure whether I liked it at first. It’s very green, both from the matcha and the Blue Raspberry’s sencha base, and typically cold matcha isn’t my thing anyway. It grew on me after a few sips, though.

The matcha provides the bulk of the flavour, and while it’s floral, it’s that unique kind of fragrant-candy kind of floral that violet has. If you’re familiar with parma violets, you’ll probably know what I mean. It tastes like those, only with an edge of something I recognise from other Bird & Blend matchas. I adds additional sweetness and is kind of mapley, and so I’m pretty sure it’s the carob.

The Blue Raspberry doesn’t have a lot of impact on the flavour. There’s a light raspberry flavour in the background (not so noticeably sour, this time!), and a faint hint of butterfly pea. Mostly, though, it’s violets and grass.

I almost like it. I don’t think I’d rush to make this particular recipe again, although there’s nothing intrinsically bad about it. I actually think it’s a pairing that’s well thought out – both teas have floral elements, the sourness of the raspberry is balanced out by the candy-like sweetness of the violet, and they both have green bases so everything hangs together around that central similarity. It’s maybe a bit over green for my tastes, but I can still appreciate it. I definitely want to try this matcha as a latte, though (maybe even an iced latte…), since the thought of liquid parma violet is really quite appealing…

I like that Bird & Blend are becoming more experimental with their matcha flavours. Ultra Violet is part of this year’s spring/summer Curious Matcha collection, and I’m looking forward to trying the others on the strength of this one.

tea-sipper