Salted Caramel Lebkuchen

Apple Pieces, Cardamom, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Rose Hips
Cookie, Ginger, Cake, Caramel, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Nutmeg, Salty, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Inkling
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 10 oz / 284 ml

• “Thanks so much for allowing me to sample this, AJRimmer!  I had forgotten what lebkuchen was, even though other Steepsterers had been talking about it, but immediately upon sipping the tea, it...” Read full tasting note
  • “glad to get a taste of this one since everything about it is something that would make me buy it myself. this was alright. i think the base tea isn’t something i like because there was an element...” Read full tasting note
  • “This came to me in the TTB 2019/2020 box. I didn’t have a full cup then, but my brother did so I was able to try a sip. I loved it so much that I immediately went online and bought myself a bag. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “This brewed up lighter than I expected. The main flavor comes from the spices. It’s not spicy, but desserty in its spicedness. It doesn’t need milk at all. The flavors come together quite well, and...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Pronounced Leb-kuch-chen, these little bites of heaven are a German Christmas tradition; a bit like gingerbread but softer & often in the cutest of shapes! We’ve taken this favourite treat one taste level further (obviously!) & blended with notes of salted caramel… pure Christmas bliss!

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

Thanks so much for allowing me to sample this, AJRimmer!  I had forgotten what lebkuchen was, even though other Steepsterers had been talking about it, but immediately upon sipping the tea, it clicked: GINGERBREAD.  I was wishing I had kept this to try in the colder months, as it is a thick, spicy, warming blend that is perfect for autumn/winter.  I could hardly ask for the tea to taste more like gingerbread, but somehow it is vastly different from B&B’s ‘Gingerbread Chai’ that is also very much like gingerbread.  I wouldn’t say there is anything salted caramel about this blend, but possibly it tastes like salted caramel when much fresher.  But otherwise, it certainly has a thick, chewy aspect to the tea that could only be gingerbread.  A simple addition of caramel cubes would have made this more caramel – though I’m not sure how vegan those typically are (and B&B is only vegan, I think?) I will be enjoying the last of this in the colder months!
Steep #1  // 1 1/2 teaspoons for full mug // 20 minutes after boiling  // 2 minute steep
Steep #2  // just boiled //  3 1/2 minute steep
2020 sipdowns: 57 (Teavivre – Nonpareil Anxi Qing Xiang TieGuanYin Oolong)

glad to get a taste of this one since everything about it is something that would make me buy it myself. this was alright. i think the base tea isn’t something i like because there was an element underlying the flavours that seemed out of place. It was a nice cup to have – caramel black tea..yes please, but that odd note made it not be exactly what i’d want.

This came to me in the TTB 2019/2020 box. I didn’t have a full cup then, but my brother did so I was able to try a sip. I loved it so much that I immediately went online and bought myself a bag. I was a little worried I would like it as much as I remembered, but I really really do. It’s like the perfect gingersnap. Chewy and sweet with the perfect amount of ginger.

Flavors: Cookie, Ginger

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This brewed up lighter than I expected. The main flavor comes from the spices. It’s not spicy, but desserty in its spicedness. It doesn’t need milk at all. The flavors come together quite well, and the only thing that could make it better is if it had some bready quality to it since that would seem to be what its name suggests. And the salted caramel is also missing. So this is a nice desserty chai, but it doesn’t really match its name.

A great masala chai-style tea! Wish I’d gotten more!

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Shae

Oh I love this one! It’s like a chewy gingerbread cookie.

This was the best-smelling tea in the Christmas gift set…mouthwatering caramel and gingerbread that instantly makes me hungry! In comparison to the heady aroma, the flavor is a bit thin. I do get notes of caramel and gingerbread, but it’s a pale imitation of that delicious aroma. A splash of milk adds a little more depth, but I’m still left wanting more.

Flavors: Cake, Caramel, Cinnamon, Ginger, Vanilla

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
VariaTEA

I felt the same. It just smelled soooo good and then it just wasn’t quite there.

This smelled amazing when I packed a sample up for Sil so I decided to bring it to my sisters to make a latte since I don’t have milk at my apartment. It’s a bit annoying this has rosehip because it makes the latte plan slightly risky while not adding to the tea but this happens a lot with Bird and Blend teas and this time I decided to risk it.

While the latte isn’t bad, the flavour is definitely muted compared to the scent. Also, I don’t get much in the way of salted caramel tea. It’s like a sweet chai. Nothing special…not nearly as good as the smell would imply. I have 1 tsp left so I’ll try it plain because it smells deliciously gingerbready and caramel and I’m just not getting that here.

Doh.

Another tea from Martin :)

Before brewing, it smells just like fruity lebkuchen!

After brewing it smells more like a little caramel drizzled on lebkuchen.

But then the taste suffers horribly. It’s not bad just lacking in comparison to the delicious aroma and the body is very thin. Mostly warming ginger, with a bit of cinnamon and barely detectable clove. So it’s basically Spice tea with a little bit of tartness. I didn’t detect any salt despite the name, but as I type I can feel the salty tingle. I would think pulling off salted caramel flavor in tea to be difficult because when I bite into one, the thing I most enjoy is the distinct juxtaposition of salty and rich sweetness. In a tea, added salt would just flavor the whole cup since salt dissolves. The gingerbread and caramel flavors do make a timid appearance when I exhale through my nose.

All is not lost, but meh.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Martin Bednář

Interesting that it seems I am only one who liked it and moreover so much…
I don’t have it with me right now, I let my friend taste it as well so I gave him pouch of it. So I can’t retry it.

Shae

Oh I loved this one! I’ve never had lebkuchen but I thought it tasted like gingerbread.

Martin Bednář

Shae: I believe that lebkuchen should be actually same as gingerbread. Or maybe there is a difference that lebkuchen is actually softer than classic gingerbread.

Shae

Thanks, Martin! I thought maybe it was a fruit pastry from Derek’s description but I hadn’t looked it up. This one was spot on for me then!

derk

Yeah, the lebkuchen I’ve had is soft, like a dense but moist cookie, dotted with dried fruit.

Unfortunately I’m not getting any salted caramel (or caramel in general) notes in this. It’s a nice spiced tea, but that’s definitely not what I was expecting when I brewed it, so I was very disappointed.

#adventageddon Day Seven – 4/5

I had this tea pretty recently and I wrote a massive tasting note about it when I did – mostly about how it’s deceptively named since this is not a Salted Caramel blend but a pretty nice and solid Gingerbread tea. I’m not going to write the same thing again, mostly because I still agree with that sentiment and my observations about the tea drinking it again today haven’t changed, aside from the fact I’m getting a bit more of the “salt” aspect of the blend.

However, I think it’s REALLY worth pointing out that since I went into this cup knowing it wasn’t going to be the ooey gooey caramel blend that I want it to be I actually did enjoy it a lot more for the flavours that were actually present!