Caramel Houjicha

Green Tea
Coffee, Metallic, Roasted, Toasty
Edit tea info Last updated by Amariel

• “I received this from *Heather* at the swap meet today. It smells like baked rice crispy squares with chocolate caramel drizzling. The flavour leans more heavily towards the strong roasted profile...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 495 tasting notes
  • “Received this one from Heather at the tea meetup over the weekend. Since I have some time to kill before leaving to do more math today, I thought I'd try this one in a mug rather than relegate...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1427 tasting notes
  • “_Steepster tantrum backlog_ *Heather* kindly passed down her last bag of this. Thanks a bunch! I love hojicha so I’m always up for trying more. This is one of the toastiest teas I’ve ever...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Had a cup of this tonight. Decided to add a little genmai hojicha from my amoda box from January. Didn't really make much of a difference, to be honest, in terms of flavour. Still, I like this...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 603 tasting notes

From Bird Pick Tea & Herb

This Houjicha is infused with caramel for a sweet treat. It is baked or oven roasted, which causes its leaves and brew, to have a darker, browner hue. As a result, this tea is also lower in caffeine and tannin content — making it comparable to decaffeinated teas. It is said to have some relaxing effects on the body and is traditionally drunk during meals or before bed.

Origin: Japan
Brew: Amber Orange
Flavor: Light toasty flavors with a subtly sweet caramel finish

About Bird Pick Tea & Herb View company

I received this from Heather at the swap meet today. It smells like baked rice crispy squares with chocolate caramel drizzling. The flavour leans more heavily towards the strong roasted profile of the houjicha, with the sweet syrupy quality of the caramel appearing near the finish. It gives an overall impressing of oozing syrup from dry crisps.

This is the kind of tea I want near the end of a late night dinner and I think it was a good way to end the evening. Casual, firm, and sweet. Time to curl up and read some Terry Pratchett.

Second day Edit: the roasted sweet flavour gives off a coffee-like impression.

TheTeaFairy

Mmm… Good tea? Curling up? Reading a fantastic book ? SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN! Thank you Crowkettle :-)

ashmanra

Which Pratchett? I just started Good Omens!

CrowKettle

Isn’t that the best combination of things after not being home all day, TeaFairy?

Equal Rights! I’ve read a random order of his books but haven’t gotten around to Good Omens yet.

Cavocorax

Good Omens is the only one I’ve read. :p (just don’t know what to read next)

CrowKettle

Wait…! I read Good Omens a couple years ago when I “discovered” Neil Gaiman. I don’t know where my mind is today.

CrowKettle

As for other Terry Pratchett books, they’re all connected with the discworld tie in but there are “character” series, like Vimes (Guards! Guards!), Moist (Going Postal), Rincewind (The Colour of Magic), Death (Mort), and various stand-alone books (Small Gods, Equal Rights, Pyramids, etc.). You can kind of jump around in a quasi-character order and things will make sense usually. Lots of Character and concept crossovers though.

Amariel

The nice thing about this tea is that it is, in fact, perfect for this, because hojicha tea has less caffeine because it is roasted…so it likely won’t keep you up late if you drink it in the evening.

CrowKettle

Agreed! While this isn’t my favourite tea I think I’d want a small amount of this around when I’m in need of an easy evening. :)

Received this one from Heather at the tea meetup over the weekend.

Since I have some time to kill before leaving to do more math today, I thought I’d try this one in a mug rather than relegate it to the travel mug.

The smell of the tea in the bag is intensely caramel. A lot more buttery and salty than the Red Leaf matcha caramel. Steeped, I think I used too hot of water. I smell and taste some caramel, and creaminess definitely comes through as I swallow. But the houjicha tastes more green than I was expecting, and that greenness isn’t really doing it for me with the caramel-creaminess.

As it cools, more of the toasty houjicha flavour is coming through, as is the caramel. However, there is still that greenness lingering in the back. I should try more houjicha teas. :)

I will sit here and slowly sip the rest of this mug, and I’m glad I have another tea bag to test out. Next time I’ll pay more attention to the water temperature.

Amariel

It’s an interesting combination. I found the hojicha base to be a little nutty, which seemed to bridge the idea of green tea and caramel together in a way that I don’t think most green teas could do.

Amariel

I found one reason I like hojicha is the lower caffeine content…it allows me to drink it later in the evening with no affects on my ability to sleep. I suppose the extremely caffeine sensitive my find it stimulating too, but supposedly the roasting affects the caffeine and it ends up have as much (or less) caffeine than decaffeinated teas.

OMGsrsly

As it cooled and the toasty flavours came out, I liked it more. I ended up losing track of time and chugging the rest of my mug before I ran out the door. It was surprisingly tasty. :)

CrowKettle

I also liked more as it cooled- another perfect quality for a “reading” tea because you don’t have to worry about it getting gross.

Steepster tantrum backlog

Heather kindly passed down her last bag of this. Thanks a bunch! I love hojicha so I’m always up for trying more.

This is one of the toastiest teas I’ve ever smelled. So roasted that it’s like how coffee beans go a little bitter when they’re super roasted. Or even some roasted matés.

But that said, caramel is the perfect flavour to pair up with hojicha. It beats downing a sugar-laden caramel latte at a coffee shop.

The caramel comes a little more out of hiding as this cools.

Had a cup of this tonight. Decided to add a little genmai hojicha from my amoda box from January. Didn’t really make much of a difference, to be honest, in terms of flavour.

Still, I like this tea. It was the right tea for tonight. I’m glad I picked up the bag when I was in LA.

I’m remembering this tea having grown on me a bit since I first reviewed it and I was eager to try it again today as a latte, but I can’t taste a thing through this cold! I’m imagining it as creamy, carmaely and delicious. It is like trying to see in the dark. Sometimes I wonder if there was a sense I would prefer to loose over taste and smell, but I honestly can’t come up with an answer. It is one of those things you take for granted until it is gone… like indoor plumbing!

Sipdown (141/148)!

Thanks VariaTEA and by extension Amariel for the small sample. I have to say, I’m really not sure how I feel about this one though. Taste wise I’m getting some really weird stuff from it.

I definitely pick up on a vegetal roastyness characteristic of a Houjicha, but on top of that is a really intense metallic taste and zero caramel notes. I also really vaguely, under all the metallic taste, get a sort of coffee like flavour which I have seen a few people mention in tasting notes so maybe I’m not totally crazy.

But overall I’m not really enjoying this one.

Flavors: Coffee, Metallic, Roasted, Toasty

i still need to try this one… and also, i AM catching up to you..slowly!

VariaTEA

I didn’t get caramel either. I was hoping for much more than what I got with this :(

Roswell Strange

I’m running out of sample sizes to sipdown ;) Soon I’ll just have stuff in quantity.

I don’t know what I am doing wrong because I have had this twice now and both times I couldn’t find the caramel. The houjicha was just too strong for my tastes. Thank you Amariel for the opportunity to try this tea but I just don’ think its for me. I will try the last of this cold brewed and see how that goes.

Smells of roasted coffee and caramel. Not bitter, very easy to drink. Slightly smoky.