Red Star 7581 Ripe Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Smooth, Sweet, Butter, Fruity, Menthol, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Laura B
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 oz / 125 ml

• “Smell is earthy and sweet with no fermentation aroma. The liquor brews up a deep brownish red, with very little haziness to it. On the initial taste, there is an earthiness to it, but it’s...” Read full tasting note
    HalfASandwich 9 tasting notes
  • “Decided to move onto pu after a failed oolong. Gave this one a wash and started sipping on the following steep. The wash water looked almost like it had a pink tint to it, and the first steep is a...” Read full tasting note
    Inkay 268 tasting notes
  • OMG! I’m caught up!!! This was the 2nd shou of the day. I leafed this a little heavier than the other 8g at 212F. Same shibo setup. 10s rinse. 10s –...” Read full tasting note
    hawkband1 291 tasting notes
  • “Broke off a chunk of this and threw it in the gaiwan. What I noticed in the first steep (after a rinse) is how clean the flavor is initially. Granted the tea hasn’t properly broken up yet but...” Read full tasting note
    mtchyg 195 tasting notes

From Bitterleaf Teas

A classic cake from Zhong Cha, this 7581 cake is prime example of a ripe puer done well. The tea is very clean and direct, with no off flavours or fermentation taste – just a nice, lingering date-like sweetness and the right amount of earthiness.

With inconsistencies and impostors abound, well known labels from this period can often be a bit of a gamble, and the Zhong Cha 7581 has been as big a target as any. We promote this tea based on its most important characteristics – taste, cleanness and quality – rather than name and recipe. This tea was purchased directly from a Zhong Cha employee in 2006 and has been stored by the original owner in Kunming dry storage ever since.

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

On the initial taste, there is an earthiness to it, but it’s like the smell of soil after a fresh rainfall – not basementy, mushroomy or musty at all. Very clean taste with some sweetness and a hint of fruitiness under it all. Lasted quite a few steeps (I lost track) and I couldn’t make it bitter if I tried.

Overall impression: this is a very clean, mellow and smooth shou. Easy to drink, easy to recommend.

Flavors: Earth, Smooth, Sweet

10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Decided to move onto pu after a failed oolong. Gave this one a wash and started sipping on the following steep. The wash water looked almost like it had a pink tint to it, and the first steep is a deep red and starts off delicate and buttery with a hint of earth.

Second steep brings more buttered earth up front with a sweet finish. I enjoyed this all through the afternoon, to the point that I lost track of how long I went with it. This has a nice, consistent flavor and is very easy to drink. I would like to steep with more leaf next time.

Flavors: Butter, Earth, Smooth, Sweet

5 g

OMG! I’m caught up!!!

This was the 2nd shou of the day. I leafed this a little heavier than the other 8g at 212F. Same shibo setup. 10s rinse. 10s – sweet, fruity, earthy
15, 25s, 35s – menthol, sweet, thick
45s, 1min
I ran out of steam for this tea here. I mean I liked it, but I got a call and went out to eat with family, saw my brother off back to Colorado and didn’t pick it up when I got back.

I had a delayed reaction to this tea or the one before it, feeling floaty and disconnected. Also, my stomach is slightly upset and gassy. I may be overcaffinated too. I’m not too sleepy even though it’s way after midnight. Good thing I’m off tomorrow. Still reserving judgement on ripe.

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Menthol, Sweet, Thick

Broke off a chunk of this and threw it in the gaiwan. What I noticed in the first steep (after a rinse) is how clean the flavor is initially. Granted the tea hasn’t properly broken up yet but it is a promising, smooth, clean start.

Second steep (10 sec) gives off more of that classic rain soaked earth scent with a cinnamon red color in the liquor. The flavor is still very clean with absolutely no hint of fermentation. The wife agrees with me. Very nice.

Third steep (15 seconds) and I might be slightly distracted from getting accurate smells and tasting notes as my wife is cooking gingerbread cookies and the smell wafting from the oven is intoxicating. Mmmm… Oh, right, tea. The color is darkening to a chestnut brown. The flavor is a classic ripe but very clean. I have a feeling this is going to be the norm for this tea. Classic and clean.

OMG I just got a sample of the finished gingerbread cookies nom nom nom. They actually pair very well with this tea. Not sure if it is the cozy joy of the season or the slight tea buzz coming on but happiness is abundant here in this moment and time.

Yes, I will end it here but for now, it is a very good, consistent, and fairly priced option. I appreciate the clean flavor it provides.

*Edit: Another hour or two later and this tea is still going strong. It is a bit lighter but I am on close to the 10th steep at about 90 seconds and it is still sweet, smooth, and very drinkable. Uptick in the rating.

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML