Monkey Chops

banana, Creamy, Banana
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

From Bluebird Tea Co.

This banana tea is smooth, creamy + simply the chops

Ceylon Black Tea, Vanilla, Calendula, Banana

‘Monkey Chops’ is an affectionate title, only to be bestowed upon the cheeky and the zany. Fitting, as this tea is Bananas… B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Some of our crazy blends (banana!) split the panel but this one has been a resounding hit all-round! Smooth, creamy and totally bananary..it’s simply the chops!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

This is a really nice banana flavoured black tea that avoids the traps of
tasting artificial or overly sweet. Throughout the cup it tasted of green fresh bananas, a banana smoothy and a good quality banana muffin. It’s really tasty, but still lets the qualities of it’s base shine through. Thoroughly enjoyable.

A more thorough discussion of this tea is below.

The dry leaf is black and wiry with pieces of fruit and some pieces of calendula petals. It smells lightly fruity, but not of distinct banana, and has an almost chocolate like smell.

I steeped this tea for around 3 minutes.

Brewed tea is a copper colour.

There is a scent of chocolate, a slightly savoury spice like rosemary from the calendula, and dried banana.

At first sip there is a taste close to slightly green fresh bananas, or the flavour of a banana smoothy, or good quality fresh banana chips. It is not artificial tasting and not overly sweet. The tea base is smooth, sweet, with a faintly vegetal undertone melding into a taste of a semi-sweet chocolate. The calendula lends a brightness and a spicy taste to the tea and makes it taste like fresh banana. The tea has just enough tannin to give it some body. It leaves a slightly drying feeling in the mouth but is not overly astringent. The flavour compliments and blends well with the tea but does not overpower it. There is a hint of raisin and biscuit in the base. It tastes a little bit like really nice banana muffins towards the end of the cup.

The re-steep has an indistinct sweet baked good flavour with a hint of floral, and chocolate. Pleasant but not really banana. The base looses its astringency.

Tasty.

2046 tasting notes

Tea #33 from the Here’s Hoping TTB

I’m really enjoying trying the teas from Bluebird in the box, they’re a company I’ve wanted to try out for awhile now, but still haven’t managed to place an order with. I doubt I would have chosen to order this one anyway, banana tea just isn’t really my thing, but this tea is really starting to grow on me. I didn’t start off caring for it, but halfway through the cup I decided it wasn’t bad at all. There is quite a bit of banana flavor in this cup, but it is softened by the vanilla, it also doesn’t hide the flavor from the base, which still manages to peak through.

Not a tea I would order again, but one I certainly did enjoy trying it. I will say that my toddler loved it, he snuck the other half of my cup while I wasn’t looking, so perhaps this will be a reorder at some point after all.

Holy bananas n cream in my cup! This blend is fantastic. I’ve been searching for a great banana tea and I think this maybe it. All the flavors mix well with the black tea.

Yum!!

part of the Cooking TTB

Flavors: banana, Creamy

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
EmilyGee

Ooohh banana cream sounds amazing O_o !

Ost

Mmmm!

Mmm banana tea that actually tastes like banana!! No artificialness and tastes subtly like a banana milkshake if you add milk. Yum!!

Flavors: Banana

Thank you Amariel for sending this my way but unfortunately I am just not enjoying this as much as I hoped I would. I am finding it really quite bland in comparison to other banana teas I have had in the past while simultaneously finding it rather thick as well. I just find myself wanting more rich flavours and less dense base. I have about 1 cup worth of leaf left so perhaps with some tweaking, I will be able to get more from this tea but for now, I am pretty underwhelmed. Oh we’ll, can’t love them all. Nonetheless, I am grateful for the chance to try it out.

I’ve had a busy week and can finally sit down and write a tasting note! I’ve had this one for a while and decided it was time to give it a try. This is a nicely bold cup of tea with a hint of banana. I find that the banana comes out at the end of the sip. It’s not artificial tasting, but reminds me of a pulpy, perhaps overripe banana. This particular cup is more astringent than I think it typically would be. I happened to forget about it and steeped it a minute longer than I should have. I think that this cup would take milk and sugar very well, though. Likely will try it that way next time! There are other teas from Bluebird that I like more, but I am happy to have given this one a try. Thank you KittyLovesTea for a sample!