Morning Kick

Fruit Herbal Yerba maté Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Good morning everyone. I have managed to get the day off work (WOOHOO!) so I can relax and have another tea crazy day. I'm going to start off with a morning tea. In raw form this tea has a...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1067 tasting notes
  • “This would be a good substitute for a glass of orange juice in the morning. Maybe I oversteeped it a tad, as the lemongrass is potent today! So is the ginger. Very nice citrus overtones. The finish...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 488 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Dexter3657 for sending this one my way. I found the flavours in this tea sedate. There was a strong lemon aroma, but the taste was mellow and not at all tart. I got a bit of heat from...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 200 tasting notes
  • “I had my first cup of tea just before leaving the house at 6.00 this morning. My second cup, unknown to me, wouldn’t pass my lips until gone 11.00. It might just have been sheer thirst, but I swear...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 904 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

A zesty mate, lemon and ginger to put a zing in your day

Yerba Mate, Lemongrass, Lemon verbena, Ginger, Lemon peel, Calendula

Wake up to sunshine on your face all year round with this energy boosting citrus blend. It’s said Mate gives you a boost equal to caffeine but without the crash later on. Light and Refreshing, with a kick of ginger, it’s a supercharged take on the classic lemon ginger.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Good morning everyone. I have managed to get the day off work (WOOHOO!) so I can relax and have another tea crazy day. I’m going to start off with a morning tea.

In raw form this tea has a spicy citrus smell and is rather twiggy and large in appearance.

Once steeped this tea is yellow in colour with a sweet lemon grass and ginger aroma.

In flavour there are strong lemon tones (particularly lemon grass and lemon verbena) with a spicy undertone of ginger which over all creates a stimulating and warm blend. The mate is rich but is covered nicely by the mix of flavours and would be suitable for those that are not keen on it’s robustness.

The flavours mellow rather quickly so you’re left with a refreshing and mellow lemon flavour in between sips. I believe the ginger works very well with the lemon and it would also be a great drink if your coming down with a sore throat or cold.

One cup down and I am buzzing like a very happy bee. (buzz buzz buzz)
It tastes nice and gives you the caffeine kick it promises. Well done. :)

This would be a good substitute for a glass of orange juice in the morning. Maybe I oversteeped it a tad, as the lemongrass is potent today! So is the ginger. Very nice citrus overtones. The finish is sour and bittersweet. The only thing I’m unsure about is the earthy mate undertone. I have off and on days with that flavour.

I still really enjoyed this cup. Thanks, Bluebird Tea Co., for the sample! Love the new little tea bags too.

Thank you Dexter3657 for sending this one my way.

I found the flavours in this tea sedate. There was a strong lemon aroma, but the taste was mellow and not at all tart. I got a bit of heat from the ginger.

This was only ok for me.

I had my first cup of tea just before leaving the house at 6.00 this morning. My second cup, unknown to me, wouldn’t pass my lips until gone 11.00. It might just have been sheer thirst, but I swear this tea seemed like the best thing I’ve ever tasted. I gulped it down as soon as it cooled enough, and I felt better almost instantly. I must have known, subconsciously, to pack such an auspicious tea, because I did need a kick to revive me once I got back to the office from setting off my interview sessions. I thought it would take 30 minutes, but I was actually there for 3 hours. Without my bad, as I hadn’t thought I’d be that long. Silly me. Anyway, making a cup of this was the first thing I did when I staggered back in.

I can’t taste a whole lot of mate, and I can’t see all that much among the leaf, either. I actually think this is mostly lemongrass, but it tastes deliciously fresh and vibrant, very lemony with a more generic citrus aftertaste. There was probably some mate, but it doesn’t contribute much to the flavour of the blend. I certainly felt a little more awake, though, so maybe it helped a bit.

I have another sample of this waiting in my stash, so I’ll have to try it again when I’m not so rushed and chronically thirsty. I’m sure it’s as nice as it seemed, hence the high rating – I’d give it that just for being pleasant and refreshing in my time of need, though, so there you go. A very successful morning tea, for a not-so-successful morning.

Another delicious sample from Bluebird Tea Co~

Mmm. I’ve never had mate before, so I don’t have much of a reference frame. This is pretty good though. It’s very lemon-gingery, and leaves a nice clean feeling. I’m not quite getting the caffeine kick mate is supposed to have, but that’s just because my body is weird. Very refreshing. I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for sending it my way, Bluebird!

I don’t know why I don’t drink more mate, I like the kind of mellow alertness it tends to leave me with, different than the buzz I tend to get from coffee or strong tea. I suppose It has to do with a bad experience I had with a jarring tasting lemon mate I had once, where it tasted harsh and unpleasant. However my other experiences were positive. My first experience with mate was at the debriefing after a contract I had in Ecuador. One of the other people I was with had been in Rosario, Argentina and she shared a pleasant sweet tasting mate with us while sharing stories of riots in the streets after the bank collapse there. In Ecuador I had very little tea but I did have some great coffee, even the chain coffee was great. Anyways that first experience was pleasant and mate is a really nice tea to share among friends.

Anyways, I think this tea has helped to cure me of my mate aversion. It is really quite a pleasant and balanced tea. Once brewed the tea has a scent of green tones from the lemongrass and the mate, and hints of ginger, lemon, and of something floral from the calendula. It brews to a nice light amber yellow.

Flavour wise it has top notes of lemongrass and lemon (creating a toned down baked lemon flavour), and ginger. There is a sweetness provided by the mate and calendula. These notes are all over a sweet and savoury vegetal note. Everything is done to a nice balance, neither the ginger, nor the lemon or the mate over power each other. Ginger provides a light bit of warmth but not too much heat and the lemon and mate help to create a sense of alertness and clarity. I am quite enjoying this cup and it would probably be nice cold as well.

This was a free sample from Bluebird Tea Co. with my order, so thank you very much for the try! The sample came in an adorable fancy teabag, with the bluebird logo printed on.

Looking at the bag, I can’t see a whole lot of maté, it mostly seems to be lemongrass, and smells very lemony, too. Steeping, the lemon smell intensifies and kind of gets sweeter, so that after brewing the tea smells almost like a sherbet lemon sweet to me. It is a very pale infusion, even though I left if for forever.

The overall flavour is of lemongrass, and I can’t really taste the ginger at all, although there’s a nice tingly heat kick at the end which I think is down to the ginger. This was perfect for me, though, as I really do not like ginger at all. I can’t taste any smoke from the Yerba, I don’t think, but I’ve never had it before so I’m not really sure what I’m looking for exactly. I’ve just gotten to the end of the cup, and the last two or three mouthfuls had a weird fishy taste. Ew.

Overall, a nice delicate cup, but not something I would choose to wake me up as it’s just not strong enough.