Elderflower Champagne

Fruit Herbal Oolong Blend
Lemon Zest
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “Thank you very much Mike from Bluebird Tea Co for this sample. :) Your a star. This is such an interesting blend and it sounds perfect to celebrate the start of my weekend with. What sounds...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1117 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown, 784. Thanks again to *Bluebird Tea Co.* for this free sample :) Although this tea certainly didn't look like it contained any oolong at all, it does almost have an oolongy sort of...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2352 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from Bluebird! I was thinking of placing a small order from them but the shipping is too high for me. This is a unique blend of ingredients. I waited for the water to cool a...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1448 tasting notes
  • “This tea brews to a blush pink / beige colour with a scent of citrus accents over sharp berry floral and something slightly earthy that gives the tea some depth. There is a sweet almost minty...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 380 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Exquisite elderflower citrus oolong blend

Chinese oolong tea, Elderflower, Lemon verbena, Apple pieces, Orange peel, Lemon peel, Hibiscus, Rosehip.

Oolong is considered to be the very best, the champers, of the tea world. Oolong is the prettiest tea to watch unfurl in your cup too! Our combination of fresh zingy citrus + delicate floral elderflower won’t get you tipsy but it is tip top indeed. You can also re-brew this one up to 7 times!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Thank you very much Mike from Bluebird Tea Co for this sample. :) Your a star.

This is such an interesting blend and it sounds perfect to celebrate the start of my weekend with. What sounds better than brewing a pot of Elderflower Champagne tea before lounging on the sofa to recover from a busy week? (I do love my rhetorical questions).

In raw form this blend is a very lively mix of which I can see: small dark green/brown Oolong balls, large apple pieces, tiny yellow elderflower petals, nice green lemon verbena leaves and a few dark red hibiscus petals. The other ingredients are hard to spot but with so much going on it’s nice that I have been able to pick out the lot that I did. :) It has a herbal rather strong elderflower scent: that slightly tangy yet sweet essence.

Once steeped this tea is pale yellow in colour with a sweet, light, floral aroma.

The first few sips reveal a mellow, sweet, floral and fruity blend. Very similar to chamomile but with added undertones of flavour and naturally sweet. At first tasting there is a honeyed floralness that strengthens into a sweet, apple melody before smoothing itself out to leave a refreshing and fragrant after taste. As it strengthens the citrus really shines through over the apple and it becomes increasingly buttery from the Oolong.

Overall it’s a wonderful delicate blend and very fitting to it’s name. I feel very relaxed after my first two cups (like it’s already gone to my head). I would recommend this to anyone that likes elderflower, a creative blend that is certainly a very tasty one. :)

Sipdown, 784. Thanks again to Bluebird Tea Co. for this free sample :)

Although this tea certainly didn’t look like it contained any oolong at all, it does almost have an oolongy sort of flavour to it… Apparently it’s supposed to be a green oolong, which makes more sense (I was thinking dark oolong).

Anyways, the aroma is very herbally. A bit fruity, a bit of lemon verbena. Reminds me of some other tea I’ve had recently-ish (maybe Feng Shui from Tealux?). The flavour is definitely herbally, with touches of lemon and sweetness, and a flavour that I’m not quite enjoying (I’d say mint or chamomile, but I’m not sure if either is in here??) Or perhaps it’s the hibiscus I’m not enjoying? (Although it’s not a tartness issue here, just a flavour thing.)

I think, actually, that it might be that this reminds me to some degree of either Earl of Anxi (Verdant) or Citron Oolong (DavidsTea), both of which I like… but at the same time, had a bit of an aversion to that I couldn’t figure out. Something about flavouring a green oolong??

I’m not sure, this isn’t a bad tea at all, but something about it isn’t quite clicking for me. Perhaps I infused it incorrectly (I just went with my standard oolong parameters)? Oh well, they can’t all be winners! Don’t let my review discourage anyone from trying this tea though! It’s just not for me :)

OMGsrsly

It sounds like the flavours might be good cold. I’ll put it on my list to try. :)

This is a unique blend of ingredients. I waited for the water to cool a while and steeped for three minutes. It’s like a fruity oolong. Apple, orange, lemon. And hibiscus? The hibiscus here is barely noticeable but maybe that was because there was barely any hibiscus in my sample. I’m not in love with this blend though. There is an odd flavor I can’t place… possibly the elderflower. I can’t say I noticed a ton of oolong in the leaves. I’m just glad the hibiscus wasn’t at the forefront. This cup isn’t my thing, but I can’t love everything they have over at Bluebird.

gives the tea some depth. There is a sweet almost minty undertone followed by lemon verbena and a slight tartness. There is also a sweet fruity floral with a bit of slightly deeper tang as a result of the citrus peel, rosehip, and hibiscus. The oolong lends a fruity sweetness to the tea and smooths out the base and gives the tea a slightly thicker creamier body. It has a pleasant tastes almost like a well balanced herbal that leaves you with a feeling of pleasant alertness. The floral taste is almost like the scent of yarrow and leaves a slightly earthy aftertaste, so it reminds me of sunny days and picnics in the countryside. I re-steeped this tea four times. This tea tastes a little bit like sumac lemonade if you’ve ever had that.

1 tbsp for 248 ml

Lemon citrus flavour. Slight tartness from the lemon- very authentic lemon flavour. Slight soft sweetness. Difficult to detect the oolong

I love elderflower. I used to drink the cordial in the summer, although not so much since I found tea. Even so, it’s still a flavour I really enjoy. This is an oolong, which would have filled me with dread at one time, but not so much anymore. Looking at the dry mix, there actually isn’t a lot of oolong to be found here; it’s mostly elderflower, raspberry leaves, apple pieces, and hibiscus.

The lack of oolong is clear in the flavour. It’s there in the background, but the elderflower really takes centre stage here. There’s a hint of apple, too, and an overall “herbal” flavour, but none of the ingerdients overpower the elderflower or try and rob it of its crown. They just act as a sort of framing device.

As for champagne — the lightness and colour of the liquor (pale gold/yellow) go some way towards putting that in mind. I suppose the natural floral, slightly grapey flavour of the elderflower is reminiscent of champagne in some respects.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. Thankfullt, my sample will allow me to enjoy a few more cups of this delightful, mellow, spring-like tea. Love!

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Stephanie

I had an elderflower martini once and it was amazing!

Christina

Is it easy to find elderberry tea or elderflower tea in the UK? My sister-in-law will be going there to visit her husband’s relatives next month, and I’m interested in trying some UK teas.

greenteafairy

Christina, if your sister-in-law’s planning on going to (or near) Fortnum & Mason they do a really nice elderflower green.

Upping my rating of this sample from a swap with Scheherazade (I think I’ve finally got the spelling of that down without having to check, too) for a couple of reasons:

1. The second steep of the first brew went pretty well earlier today, but slightly more importantly-

2. Steeped in a mug at home for dessert tonight and for some reason it felt like the blend tasted a lot better. Do I have to come to terms with the fact that the timolino isn’t the best choice for some infusions? I feel like Elderflower Champagne should be drunk from bone china, that’s how much I enjoyed it tonight! Despite not even drinking it from bone china. Ha! Perhaps my second steep of the second sample brew shall have to be done that way…

keychange

Honestly, as sad as it is, I think it’s just true that some teas do not bode well in a travel mug.

Sami Kelsh

Agreed with keychange. Some things are better in home mugs than travel mugs. When I used to get a ride into work in the mornings at one of my old jobs, I’d bring a ceramic mug full of my morning tea with me. It was the best.