Bonfire Toffee

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Sipdown!! (185) Thank you *Scheherazade* for sharing this tea. I am actually really enjoying this cup. The toffee is prominent with both a hint of smoke and a slight apple sweetness. It is very,...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1849 tasting notes
  • “dear MissB, thank you very much for sharing. i wish i could taste it. my tongue ignored it because it had the word 'toffee'.... but i really did try. =0( i thought i caught a whiff of banana...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 377 tasting notes
  • “unlogged sample sipdown! I've got a couple of these to get through this week so that my cupboard will more accurately reflect the true number. Right now i have to add roughly 20 to the cupboard...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4729 tasting notes
  • “Bonfire Toffee. Interesting. A big miss for me, but interesting. It's too sweet, not smokey enough. I wish it were caramel rather than toffee. I'm getting A LOT of toffee, but it's like burnt...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 700 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Smokey black tea with caramel + apple

Ceylon Black Tea, Apple, Caramel, Cinnamon, Safflower

Travelling tea merchants used to carry tea from east to west, all the way across Russia… well, their horses did anyway! It’s said smoky teas were discovered after the campfire smoke would infuse into the tea leaves at night. Add some caramel, apple and toasted cinnamon and you get a spectacular Bonfire Night treat

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Sipdown!! (185)

Thank you Scheherazade for sharing this tea. I am actually really enjoying this cup. The toffee is prominent with both a hint of smoke and a slight apple sweetness. It is very, very nice and I am sad to see it go.

dear MissB, thank you very much for sharing.

i wish i could taste it.

my tongue ignored it because it had the word ‘toffee’…. but i really did try. =0(

i thought i caught a whiff of banana maybe though?

stupid tongue.

MissB

Dammit. Share all toffee teas with someone else. You have more tea on the way as of this afternoon (two business days!), and there is zero toffee anything in that package. I think.

MissB

I just want you happy, and with tea that you love! :)

JustJames

ARGH!!!!! you’ve given and or led me to loads of teas that i love!!!!! i have a genetic aversion to toffee is all…. i’m a walking glitch, lol.
let’s check the roster: bolero, all sorts of matcha, all sorts of fauchon, all things TGteas, lol!!!!

and tht’s just the tea, and not the friend…. xoxo

Lol walking glitch hahaha

JustJames

oh yes, she who laughs last stands to inherit…. i am done wasting it sil. it’s all coming your way. yup!

That just made me think of reboot…

JustJames

i’d be quite happy rebooting, no telling what would work itself out, toffee and caramel included!!!

unlogged sample sipdown! I’ve got a couple of these to get through this week so that my cupboard will more accurately reflect the true number. Right now i have to add roughly 20 to the cupboard total. BUT thanks to some sipdowns and terri logging a couple of my teas, that number is shrinking fast :) I’d love to be able to just be able to look at the number on steepster and know that’s what was up.

Anyway, on with this tea. I admit i was expecting more caramel and more smoke from this tea. While i’d read the ingredients had apple, in my head bonfire is not equal to apple. That being said, naming aside, this is a lovely apple cinnamon caramel black tea. I like that there’s ALMOST some smoke here, thanks to the black base though i would love to see it be a little stronger. This apple flavouring though is pretty spot on for true apple taste rather than that slightly generic apple taste that a lot of teas have had. Not a bad one bluebird!

Terri HarpLady

This is one of the bluebird teas that sounded interesting to me, although given the name, I’d assumed it would be smokey as well.

there’s a hint of smoke but not really…

Bonfire Toffee. Interesting. A big miss for me, but interesting. It’s too sweet, not smokey enough. I wish it were caramel rather than toffee.
I’m getting A LOT of toffee, but it’s like burnt toffee rather than smokey. I wish it had some lapsang in it. This seems fake somehow, like it’s trying too hard to fulfill it’s name. There is some apple hiding in the background, but it too is sweet, a little tart might actually help this. It’s just sweet on sweet with some burnt notes. Sorry Bluebird, this doesn’t work for me.

MissB

I have a sample of this somewhere. Sweet with burnt notes? Sounds like my marshmallow fiasco the last time I went camping.

Dexter

But charred marshmallows are the only way to eat them.. :))
This is just fake, burnt, sweet. It would be much better if it had been near a campfire…

Aw, phooey.

I tried to take of a sip of this after eating a bag of frozen blueberries and it was just bitter and awful; I thought I had wrecked this tea sample and would have to dump it. Luckily it was just the contrast of the blueberry sweetness, and rinsing my mouth helped. Yay for half blunders and commonsense! Lesson learned: never eat something sweeter than the thing you are drinking.

Ceylon is a very cutting, bright base as is apparent here. Not my favourite, and I was expecting something smokier, but this cooled off cup does yield a pleasant caramel apple flavour that I enjoy. The Ceylon makes the apple a tart green one but the cinnamon and sweetness rounds it out a bit. It’s actually a little bit like the baked, cinnamon, brown sugar apples my mom would make for dessert every once in a while.

So, not much bonfire from this one, except for a little cinnamon spice. The Toffee caramel is there though, and that’s the important part (for me). Thanks for the sample, Bluebird Tea Co.

Another free sample from Bluebird Tea Co.! Thanks!

Hmm. So this one definitely smells like toffee, and kind of tastes like it too (almost a toffee apple sort of flavour??), but I’m not getting any smoke, as I was hoping for. A little lapsang souchong would go a long way here to making this tea a bit more what it’s supposed to be! That said, it’s certainly not bad, and I actually rather like it. It doesn’t taste to me like your typical flavoured black. There is some astringency, which may be why drinking it with milk is suggested.

I do prefer the other two teas I’ve tried from Bluebird Tea Co., but I’m still pretty impressed, as none of the three teas I’ve had so far has tasted generic or overly flavoured, which is certainly good in my books!

ETA: I didn’t realize that there was supposed to be apple in here until just now, after reading the tea description. Go go tastebuds!

CrowKettle

I would’ve liked to have seen a lapsang souchong base too.

This one sounded lovely. I’m not sure where the bonfire of the name comes from, since I don’t taste any sort of smokey flavor. I’d call this caramel apple rather than toffee. It has a sweet apple flavor with caramel. The black tea base from Bluebird is interesting, since it isn’t a tough, strong flavored tea that masks the flavors, but it does taste different than most black teas. I don’t want to call it tangy or astringent, but it isn’t smooth or like a tea that resembles a black cup of coffee, if that makes sense. The second steep had more of that caramel apple flavor rather than the black tea… I’m not sure how that was possible! thanks for the sample, bluebirdteaco.com!

Wow, first reviewer! So much pressure!! This tea smells amazing! Like a combination of caramel apple and apple pie. yum! The taste, however, was a little too subtle for me. Even though they say you can have it with milk, I think milk kinda ruins it. I added milk to the first steep, and the taste was definitely not as strong as the smell. Tasted okay though, but I wanted more oomph! So, for the second steep, I didn’t add milk, and I think that was better. I definitely get a sweet apple flavor. Not sure if this was a winner for me, but that’s coming from someone who’s not all that into apple teas. Oh, for those wondering about the smokiness, I didn’t really get a smoky flavor, or at least it was very subtle.

TastyBrew

Shoot, I was hoping your review would make me take the plunge and order. I guess I’ll wait for now. Do you think it’d be better overleafed?

Tealizzy

Ya, it might be better overleafed. Can’t try it though, because, I only got a 1 cup sample. :(

Dexter3657 sent me a very generous package of this tea…thank you!

This is a light tasting tea. The flavours are there…but not too much. By that I mean I get the toffee flavour, but it is barely there. I get a hint of the apple…but also barely there. Same with the smoke…there, but not too much. It is a tea of subtle flavours.

This will do when I want a lighter tasting tea.

Thank you Dexter3657 for your generosity!

This is my first sample to try from MissB tonight. I did find the base milder than the other Bluebird teas I have had, but perhaps I instinctively under-brewed this one so it would not be so strong.

The first thing I notice is the apple, and then a subtle sweetness, but I cannot tell if that is my cane sugar added or not. To up the caramel/toffee notes, I added the leftover toffee drizzle from the sticky toffee pudding dessert I had the other night (it was to go, and there was more than enough sauce in the cup for the pudding and then some), and that definitely upped the toffee, but then kinda hid the apple.

I have a few servings of this, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy them.