Coco Chai No.5

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “The ferry ride from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay was brutal this evening! I picked an unfortunate time to travel back as there were 100km/h winds expected tonight. Lots of sailing cancellations and a...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 492 tasting notes
  • “This is just ok for me. It's coconut chai, but it's just ok coconut chai. It seems to me that they just couldn't commit to either. It's not spicy enough to be a chai and there's just really not...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 727 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for this sample *Bluebird Tea Co*. Once steeped this smells like spicy cocoa, very peppery and rather dry. Flavour is similar to the smell, very peppery and dry with hints of cocoa...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1075 tasting notes
  • “This was one of the free samples I recieved in my latest order. Since they were kind enough to ship to Canada FREE with their last promo (I wasn't sure if it was UK only), I feel I should make...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1672 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

All the classic chai spice with a dash of coconut to boot!

Indian Assam tea, Ginger, Cardamom, Cloves, Red peppercorns, Coconut

When asked what she wore to bed, Marilyn Monroe famously replied ‘five drops of Chanel No.5.’ We’re not sure about getting you into bed with blonde bombshells, (although ginger is reportedly an aphrodisiac!) but five drops of Coco Chai No.5 will definitely satisfy your taste buds with its delicious blend of spices and smooth coconut.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

The ferry ride from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay was brutal this evening! I picked an unfortunate time to travel back as there were 100km/h winds expected tonight. Lots of sailing cancellations and a huge foot passenger build up. And to think I used to like wind storms.

So, tea! This is a backlog as I had it eight hours ago. Bluebird Tea Co. provided this as a surprise free sample and it was surprisingly good (I drank it way too quickly). Like Zhena’s smooth and flavorful Coconut Chai I had a few days earlier. Like that bagged tea, I wouldn’t mind drinking this every once in a while either. I wish I had another hot cup available after that ferry trip.

I prepared it one of David’s Perfect Tea Mug- half full of boiling water for a three minute steep, and an additional three minutes after it was topped up with milk.

JustJames

i didn’t know the wind was THAT strong! i can tell you the rain was going sideways and actually went THROUGH our stucco and leaked around the widow sill though, lol.

hopefully the tea gave you a sense of sani-tea. ;-P

Cavocorax

I think we both got the same samples in the latest order! :P
And glad you made it over ok – that sounds like it’d be frustrating.

Bonnie

After what we had here in Colorado, I sympathise with you!

This is just ok for me. It’s coconut chai, but it’s just ok coconut chai.
It seems to me that they just couldn’t commit to either. It’s not spicy enough to be a chai and there’s just really not that much coconut.

Thank you for this sample Bluebird Tea Co.

Once steeped this smells like spicy cocoa, very peppery and rather dry.

Flavour is similar to the smell, very peppery and dry with hints of cocoa and coconut. It is leaving my mouth rather dry though for some reason which is a shame considering the overall taste is nice.

It tastes very similar to something else but I cannot recall what…one of Yogi’s Chai’s I believe.

Overall this Chai is not one for me. While it tastes nice it misses some Chai elements for me such as the clove should be stronger in my opinion, and also it left my mouth bone dry in between sips. I would drink it again but would not buy it.

This was one of the free samples I recieved in my latest order.

Since they were kind enough to ship to Canada FREE with their last promo (I wasn’t sure if it was UK only), I feel I should make sure I review their teas (honestly of course) here and on their site to help spread the word. They made my day. :)

Anyway this was a tea that I frankly wasn’t too excited about. I like some chai’s but don’t go out of my way to get them (aside from Pumpkin in the fall!). This one was really good! I need to get past my biases or whatever it is as I miss out on teas that I end up enjoying!

There is a nice smooth Assam base that I can taste lurking below the blended flavours. It has the nice chai spices that you would expect, but the coconut steals the show with the strong flavouring and the creamy mouthfeel it provides.

Would I make an order for this? Possibly. It was really well done. I’d recommend it to others too.

Mike Turner

Glad we made you day! It was a bit of an accident on my part to be honest but when I realised I thought I’d go with it! – In future I might knock off the cost of domestic shipping to make it super cheap to keep it fair…

Cavocorax

That makes sense! I think if you even offered a discount for international customers when you do free shipping for the UK that people would still jump for that. (Speaking as someone who did just that when Andrews & Dunham had $5 shipping for one day only).

I really love your company and the adorable bluebird branding/packaging. I wish I could do more to support you but it’s harder with an ocean between us. :P I did leave reviews on your site though since I appreciated the free shipping.

Mike Turner

Thanks very much. Canada is a place that we both love, and had every intention to be living in (we came home to start Bluebird as visas don’t let you start a new business out there), so it makes us very happy when we get to send orders out there!

The cloves, cardamon, ginger, pepper and coconut are all apparent in the scent of this tea, with the first three being the most dominant. At first sip, the spicing seems pretty mild. The base tea is smooth, with sharp fruit and malt, and seems to overpower the spice. The spice is there in that I can feel the cooling sensation on my tongue, but outside of a with of cardamon I can’t really taste them. This could be because of several reasons, the first being that this is an old sample sachet, the second is that the spicing is purposefully mild, or it could simply be that the base tea does not work well in this concept. If it is designed this way it fits with the Indian stereotype of British descended tourists in which we are all seen to not be able to take the heat. Thanks for the sample Bluebird Tea, but this one just doesn’t work for me.

I had another cup of this last night, just to try and firm up my opinion of it. On balance, I like it. It’s a mild chai, and it has wonderful creamy notes from the coconut. It’s a really nice treat with a dash of milk, on an evening when something warming is nice, but heavy “winter” spice levels would be too much. Tasty and fairly subtle! I love the pepper notes in this one, and I’m appreciating tasting the individual spice flavours. Usually they get buried under clove, but this one is gentle enough that the “milder” flavours like ginger, cinnamon and cardamom can really shine. A pleasing cup.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp