Earl Grey Creme

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “This is going to be a rubbishy first entry for this tea, I'm sorry!! I chose this as one of my samples from Bluebird Tea Co because I have a big heart on for Earl Greys, and my all time favorite...” Read full tasting note
    whatshesaid 199 tasting notes
  • “I'm so excited to try a new earl grey creme. I still haven't found my ultimate creamy earl grey, but it isn't really a pressing matter... just one of those things that I would like to accomplish...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 464 tasting notes
  • “I'm not going to rate this tea. I got it as a sample with my Bluebird order. I have no idea if this is a good, great or just ok earl grey. My taste of it tonight just confirms that earl grey is...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter3657 585 tasting notes
  • “I was naughty and ordered more tea. Oops. That wasn't supposed to be allowed until I was under 200. Still...hard week at work. I need something to cheer me up. So anyway, in an effort to begin...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 685 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Fresh + fragrant Earl Grey with a hint of vanilla

Ceylon black tea, Vanilla, Cornflowers.

Don’t we wish prime ministers today were as good as the ones in the good old days? Take PM Earl Grey, he was the cream of the crop. Not only did he help abolish slavery and reform the House of Commons, he also invented the legendary Earl Grey tea! So we’ve created this creamy tribute just for you old chap.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

This is going to be a rubbishy first entry for this tea, I’m sorry!!

I chose this as one of my samples from Bluebird Tea Co because I have a big heart on for Earl Greys, and my all time favorite EG is Davidstea’s Cream of Earl Grey, which is very creamy and yummy. I have yet to meet a bergamot tea that I haven’t truly enjoyed. If I go out somewhere and need tea quick, I always go for an EG teabag when possible, as it’s pretty hard to mess up, hard for me to find one I don’t enjoy.

I did enjoy this one as well, though I think I oversteeped it. My boss got to chatting with me and it went on for more than 4 minutes for sure, as a result this ended up very strong and not overly creamy. I did drink it, but I had to go to the kitchen to get some milk to dilute it a bit.

I will try a second steep with my leaves, but it may be too weak after having steeped for so long the first time. I wasn’t getting much cream flavor out of this but I definitely blame that on my oversteep. Well on my supervisor, really. Haha.

Soooo I have nothing more to really say, I feel like it could have been good, but I screwed it up. I had really wanted to try another EG Cream since I like the DT one so much.

I will reserve a rating for now and if the second steep turns out I will update accordingly, but if not I will just chalk this up to a crappy steep, way to go, me!

Thanks again for the sample though, Bluebird Tea Co!

ETA Hullo, I’m baaaack. Just wanted to add that I did make a second cup of this using the same leaves, and it retained an impressive amount of flavor. I think had I not oversteeped it the first time I’d have a better idea of it, but the creaminess came out when it wasn’t accidentally left too long. I will withhold my rating and let you do it properly to judge for yourself :)

I’m so excited to try a new earl grey creme. I still haven’t found my ultimate creamy earl grey, but it isn’t really a pressing matter… just one of those things that I would like to accomplish one day. The scent reminds me a little bit of fruity pebbles, which isn’t a bad thing because it’s been YEARS since I’ve had the stuff and actually wish that I had a bowl right now.

Sipping… this is very smooth and light and so very tasty! I think that this is the closest I’ve come to finding my perfect earl grey creme. The bergamot in this tea is definitely toned down and is actually just a wisp of a thing. This is just fine with me because it’s present, but isn’t that sharp, bitter note that typically screams in earl grey. There is a lovely vanilla flavor that is wrapped so tightly around the tea base itself, I can’t tell where one begins! The finish is slightly astringent and it leaves your throat feeling a little bit dry, but it’s not enough to be a bother.

I’m looking forward to placing an order with Bluebird Tea Co. (probably next on my list as soon as I drink down some of my collection) and this blend will definitely find its way into my basket.

I’m not going to rate this tea. I got it as a sample with my Bluebird order. I have no idea if this is a good, great or just ok earl grey. My taste of it tonight just confirms that earl grey is not for me.

I was naughty and ordered more tea. Oops. That wasn’t supposed to be allowed until I was under 200. Still…hard week at work. I need something to cheer me up.

So anyway, in an effort to begin using up some of the tea I actually have, I pulled this one out to try today. I have a love/hate relationship with Earl Grey. In general, we get along very well, but I’m not a fan of very strong, sharp bergamot, especially when paired with an astringent base. That’s why, although it’s generally something I enjoy, I tend to approach each new EG with a little trepidation. It’s probably also why the idea of Earl Gret Creme appeals to me, although it wasn’t something that was even on my radar until I joined Steepster. How the world of tea has opened up to me. This was actually the first Earl Grey Creme I purchased, so it’s been waiting in my stash for a while. I was in the mood for something like this at breakfast this morning, though, so that’s why it was finally chosen.

It’s love at first sip. In my ideal world, EG would have bergamot, but it would be a mild, tame thing that added a bitter citrus edge but generally minded its own business. IT DOES THAT HERE! I think the cream flavour helps to tone it down, but it’s a slight thing. It’s not sharp, it’s not right in your face like it is in some EGs, it’s not screaming “I’m bergamot, hear me roar.” It’s just there, sitting still and minding its own business, adding a touch of flavour and nothing more. For me, it’s perfect.

Then there’s the cream. Oh goodness, don’t get me started on the cream. Again, it’s perfect. I was half expecting it to be quite an artificial taste, but it’s not at all. It’s deliciously vanilla-flavoured, soft, and adds a cloud-like fluffiness to this cup. It’s got the bergamot on a tight leash, and it’s toned down any astringency the base might have dared to have had. The base itself is pleasant, although I can’t really taste that much of it. It’s pretty hard to identify where the base ends and the flavouring begins, if you see what I mean. It’s just a really great combination.

This is my favourite Bluebird tea to date. We are officially friends, me and EGC.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp