Honey Bee Beautiful

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I'm not usually a big drinker of Rooibos but have been looking for more bedtime teas as all that has been in my cupboard recently is chamomile based teas (I love chamomile, but a boy needs a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    davidmmcneil 5 tasting notes
  • “This was my last cup of the evening yesterday. It's one of the few unopened Bluebird samples I currently have sitting around, so I thought I'd give it a chance to shine. The dry leaf smells so much...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 915 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Excellent exfoliating skin elixir with delicious notes of honey

Rooibos, Honeybush, Chamomile, Nettle leaves, Cornflowers.

You know those pushy mums who put their 4 year old beauty queens in high heels and lipstick? Well have you ever considered the work it must take to make a queen bee? Their beauty regime is even more extensive and their mums twice as pushy! Someone really should tell them that this amazing honey rooibos not only tastes beautiful but its skin elixir properties could help you be beautiful too.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

I’m not usually a big drinker of Rooibos but have been looking for more bedtime teas as all that has been in my cupboard recently is chamomile based teas (I love chamomile, but a boy needs a bit of variety!)

I was also intrigued to try out some teas from new British company Bluebird Tea Co and, having gotten home late – the Rooibos was the only bedtime offer in my selection – so Honey Bee Beautiful got chosen.

The smell of this tea was very fragrant and the honey smell instantly hits – at first making me worry this tea was going to be too sweet for me. I did not let this stop me from making the first cup!

Brew Method – Breville Tea Kettle
Temp – 100C
Water – 750ml
Tea – 2.5 tsp
Time – 4 mins

The colour of the tea is a beautiful red Rooibos and when bringing the cup to the mouth again it is the honey that comes through. However, when tasting the tea the Rooibos isn’t lost – so it’s a beautifully balanced Rooibos hit before the honey kicks in. I found it to be more of a Manuka honey taste and much less sweet than I expected from the smell. The minor herbal notes of nettle and chamomile come through subtley – but they do come through after the honey has passed. The lingering taste was certainly of a sweet honey.

I enjoyed it immensely – partly as it’s like nothing else in my tea collection, but also because I seemed to hit on the exact steep settings first go!

I might have turned up my nose at Rooibos before, but I will be giving some more a shot after this!

This was my last cup of the evening yesterday. It’s one of the few unopened Bluebird samples I currently have sitting around, so I thought I’d give it a chance to shine. The dry leaf smells so much like a freshly opened pot of runny honey, I actually had a hard time believing it was tea. As scents go, it’s just spot on. I was expecting the rooibos to take over the the flavour, but fortunately it didn’t. The same headily sweet, delicious honey note carries through, with subtle hints of chamomile. Chamomile often tastes a little honey-like to me, so I’m not surprised it seems to enhance the flavour here.

While it’s a genuinely lovely caffiene free cup, it probably lends itself best to drinking in small doses. It’s quite sweet and rich, almost like eating honey straight out of the jar. For that reason, it becomes slightly overpowering and really a bit much by the end of the cup. It’s a very enjoyable treat, though, and one of the best honey teas I’ve had the pleasure of trying.

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp