Hot Mama Jama

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I love spicy things & I seem to be drawn to spicy & fruity teas. this one may possibly be even better than Mango Diablo. the scent of the tea is very familiar, however I still cannot place what...” Read full tasting note
    tattooed_tea 290 tasting notes
  • “Just rediscovered TV Tropes. And the sun. It's a wonderful sunny day in the lower mainland- a perfect day to study for finals inside. I was worried about this one since it mentioned hibiscus....” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 448 tasting notes
  • “thank you so much bluebirdteaco.com for the samples! The samples come in little velum-like pouches, sewn shut, with the bluebird logo. I'm not sure how long the tea would stay fresh, since, you...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1090 tasting notes
  • “Another wonderful sample from the nice folks at Bluebird Tea Co. This is a pretty good one. This has the fruit/spice ratio just about right. The fruit tastes authentic and just an overall cup of...” Read full tasting note
    Ramvling 43 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Hot tropical blend of chilli, passion fruit + lime

Chinese green tea, Lemongrass, Lime, Chilli, Hibiscus, Rosehip, Apple, Orange, Passionfruit, Mango

Turn up the heat and join the tropical carnival with a cup of Hot Mama Jama. But be warned… this blazing remix of refreshing reggae limes and calypso chilli beats will have your taste buds dancing all night long.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

I love spicy things & I seem to be drawn to spicy & fruity teas.
this one may possibly be even better than Mango Diablo.
the scent of the tea is very familiar, however I still cannot place what it is.
you kind of get smacked in the mouth with the spice & followed directly with sweet citrus, fruitiness.
mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm so delish

ETA: had this iced over the weekend, while still really good it looses almost all the spicy kick.

Just rediscovered TV Tropes. And the sun. It’s a wonderful sunny day in the lower mainland- a perfect day to study for finals inside.

I was worried about this one since it mentioned hibiscus. That particular ingredient tends to overwhelm certain teas for me and, while I don’t dislike tart hibby I do get bored of it quickly. It doesn’t take center stage here, thankfully. It shares the spotlight with the pepper zing, lime, and other fruity notes, much like a well prepared spicy sweet and sour soup manages to balance itself out and keep things afloat.

It’s fruity, floral, spicy, and sour… pretty much everything except bitter and salty. The cup is a fresh, clean-tasting tea, without the mouth-drying puckering that’s usually associated with some of the more citric ingredients included here. A big thanks to Bluebird Tea co. for sending this my way!

thank you so much bluebirdteaco.com for the samples! The samples come in little velum-like pouches, sewn shut, with the bluebird logo. I’m not sure how long the tea would stay fresh, since, you know, the thread holes don’t make the package air tight (or smell contamination tight), but the little packages sure are adorable. I guess you’re supposed to drink them fast anyway!

I really wanted to try some of these amazing blends. They all look so good and so inspired — this one especially. I thought it would be like a mojito. Such a delicious sounding mix of ingredients. This is refreshing! My sample had about a teaspoon and a half, so I threw the whole thing in the infuser. I steeped for three minutes and got something super tasty! I first got a fruity flavor (but not hibiscus or rosehips that are mentioned… don’t be scared because I did not find them here at all, at least in this cup.) It’s a mix of fruit… lime, orange, passionfruit, mango and apple, and then the spicy hot chili kicks you in the back of the throat! Yowza. I love it. The fruit taste isn’t specific.. it all kind of blends into its own unique fruit flavor but I am noticing the lime. There is a bit of slight vegetal flavor too… I’m thinking it is from the green tea or the lemongrass, but only a little bit! I love that mix though: fruit, spicy chili, and a bit of a vegetal flavor… with no hibiscus to be tasted! I knew I would love this one and it’s a great start to my Bluebird samples. I can see this company quickly becoming a favorite of Steepsterers!

Another wonderful sample from the nice folks at Bluebird Tea Co.

This is a pretty good one. This has the fruit/spice ratio just about right. The fruit tastes authentic and just an overall cup of deliciousness. I had it hot, I can imagine this being absolutely wonderful iced on a hot day.

Now I downed this cup pretty fast, so I don’t remember all the nuisances in this, just that I immensely enjoyed it and need to order more in the near future.

BACKLOG! So I’m going with my terrible notes on my computer here.

Another sample from Bluebird Tea Co. I really gotta get to drinking my last one!

I did a cold steep on this, because I was running around down in the Tri-State area (Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois; you can cross two state lines in the matter of 20 minutes!) and attending my sister’s graduation in Platteville, so the set and forget method was far more ideal here!

This makes a really nice fruity cold brew. The fruit flavor isn’t specific, but it makes its own unique fruity flavor that is actually pretty tasty! There’s also a really nice hit of lime in here. Unfortunately the cold brew seemed to wash out a lot of the pepper zing and I it wasn’t anything more than a mere suggestion that you noticed only when you were looking for it. Even so, this made a fan-freakin-tastic iced tea and I’m tossing her onto my shopping list for my next purchase from them

Iced 8 min or more

Another of my Bluebird samples. This one is more of an unknown to me. It looks to contain lime and lemongrass predominantly, with a green tea base. Unsurprisingly, that’s what it tastes like. It’s very mildly citrussy, mostly in the middle of the sip. The first flavour that comes out is a vegetal, slightly grassy green tea. It’s not at all bitter or astringent, which is a good point in its favour. The final taste is chilli. It develops quite slowly, leaving a lingering warmth and a good kick of spice at the back of the throat. It’s an interesting combination, and not like anything I’ve tried before. Another good spring tea, if not one I’d want to keep around all of the time.

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Thanks Nattie for the sample!

I liked the spiciness of this, but a few sips had too much chili in it and caused me to cough a little. The zing is nice and warming, but a little too much for me.

Suziqzer

Lol.. sounds yummy, love a spicy kick sometimes :)

I wanted to love this, as it’s the last of my Bluebird tea. Unfortunately, all I got from it was apple, and a tiny bit of spice one sip in a while.

Dustin

Aw, that’s too bad, especially with such a fun name.

I had this tea again today for a wake-up drink before I went to uni (early start), and as I was in a hurry to get ready, I kind of forgot about this while I was doing my makeup and ended up WAY oversteeping it. The fruity flavours kinda got lost in the oversteep, but it was still a nice cup of spicy green tea. I ended up having to leave most of it (sad face) and had it iced (well, cold) when I got back and it was equally delicious! The fruit is a little more noticeable when cold.

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 13 OZ / 380 ML