Nearly Nirvana

Green White Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Mike Turner

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Luxury white silver needle tea with spiritual spearmint + heavenly jasmine

Chinese white tea, Chinese green tea, Jasmine blossoms, Spearmint, Orange Blossom.

This luxury pure white tea with heavenly jasmine and spiritual spearmint will surely help you reach nirvana. Don’t just take our word for it… Japanese monks say tea embodies the four Buddhist principles and the word on the street is that they also use it to help them stay awake during meditation and to quiet their grumbling tummies during fasts!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Dear Nearly Nirvana,

Thank you for staying true to your keeping grumbling tummies happy description. It is actually working. These jerks working on a condo across the NARROW road from my boyfriend’s garage are parked so much in the way that we cannot get his car out.

They are still here and they want to continuously argue with him. I might not have the lack of anger a monk does but hey, I’m surviving it being 2:15 now and I haven’t had lunch yet.

This was one of my samples from Bluebird, and it sounded like something I’d like so I had it. It was refreshing, the combination of citrus, mint, and jasmine really can do that. It would probably make a good iced tea too but I finished it off before it even got cold.

It was really relaxing too, I know I got more than enough sleep last night because I was bored enough to go to bed before 12:30am, and it still made me kind of sleepy when I had it.

Part of my monthly club package.

This blend is so beautiful in appearance, very natural and pure. It has a strong spearmint aroma which is both fresh and very cooling but also sort of creamy and sweet.

Flavour wise it’s very thickly spearmint with some sweetness and floral tones. The floral tones are rather recognisable as being jasmine particularly in the after taste. It sounds like a bizarre combination (jasmine and spearmint) but they actually work very well together.

As it cools the blend becomes creamier and less sweet and thick. I can actually feel myself relaxing whilst sipping. :)

This was actually ok.
Until I accidentally knocked my cup over, spilling tea all over the place
dammit

TeaKlutz

ARRGH! Spilled tea is the WORST! (And far more worth crying over than spilled milk!)

Another quick note, as I didn’t want to leave my only Bluebird Tea Co tasting note the not-very positive one on Vicky’s Sponge Cake, after I’ve enjoyed some of the other teas I got from them. This is probably my favourite, as I’ve not had the jasmine & spearmint combo before in a green/white, and it’s a real winner. I may have been a bit over-cautious with water temp, as it was definitely below 80, and the smell is stronger than the taste, but it’s such an utterly wonderful smell that I’m not complaining. Nice blend of white (which I’d guess to be a white peony?) and green tea for the base, and overall balanced and delicate blend.

I didn’t want to edit the tea info (which is the same as the website) as I’m not positive about this, but the ingredients on the package say orange flowers, not orange, and I’m definitely not getting any orange taste. There are lots of beautiful flowers in with the tea & spearmint leaves, though I didn’t have time (or probably, knowledge!) to spread them out and decide what type they were.

Mike Turner

Ach thanks for pointing that out it should definitely say ORANGE BLOSSOMS! Whoops will get this updated asap!

cteresa

Orange blossom is totally not orange and taste/smell is nothing related. That is a pet peeve of mine indeed.

Hallieod

Yup, totally different. (And orange blossom aroma is fantastic – we got the real thing in Tucson!) It was only a typo-type (?) mistake that the “blossoms” got left off in the website description, which was copied here. It was right on the tea though!

Hallieod

And no problem, Mike. It’s a lovely tea and orange would be all wrong! :)

cteresa

Orange and lemon blossom is indeed fantastisc – it was in season a couple weeks ago. Orange blossom season in April, coinciding a bit with jasmine season (one jasmine plant can perfume a whole street) and then wisteria. Then the scents end, though jacaranda tree season (unscented but fantastical) is coming any moment now.

But even better than orange blossom, IMO, it´s the loquat trees blossom. They bloom November-ish and scent is a bit weaker, though not really weak. It´s even better than orange blossom, not as sweet but sweet, different and at a time of the year you need all the cheering up possible. Loquat blossom rules.

Hallieod

Oh wow, Teresa, I remember you talking about the the loquat blossoms before, and it sounded amazing then AND now. Fruit doesn’t grow in the UK (as I’ve just discovered) but the trees are grown as ornamentals, so they should flower. I think! I now must smell these flowers!,

cteresa

The trick about loquat blossom is that They bloom even you do not expect anytthing else to be in bloom, it can take some looking around to figure what can possibly be smelling so sweet – here it is on late november. Not sure they do in the British islands at the same time ( but over there you can grow tulips and peonies which I can not ….)

I forgot one tree – soon lime or lindens will be blossom, those are also I incredibly fragrant and so many people go not notice the real origin of that scent.

1 tablespoon for 248 ml

Great flavour combination. The spearmint is the predominant flavour which balances well with the jasmine. The white tea gives the slightest pleasant astringent edge.

The last of the samples from my first Bluebird order. I don’t think I’ve ever tried a white/green blend before, so this is a first for me. I also fear it may be rather an odd experience, because while white tea and spearmint are two of my favourite things, green tea and jasmine are not. Frankly, I think the orange might get a bit lost. Still, assume makes an ass out of you and me, so perhaps I should get on and try this before I expand this note further with my unfounded misgivings.

The dry leaves smell mostly of spearmint, with a slighty grassy, slightly smoky undertone that I’m assuming is the green tea. It’s an interesting mix — there are quite a lot of white tea buds and a few twigs and leaves, slightly less of the green tea, a generous sprinkling of shredded spearmint, and some really quite generous orangey pieces. Some of them are undoubtedly zest, but a few look more like blossoms to me. Jasmine? Orange? I’m not sure, having never encountered either in their raw state before. Could be.

Anyway, this is definetly an interesting tasting tea. Brewed, the scent is mostly of spearmint and jasmine, which is a strange combination. It’s surprisingly delicate to taste, though, and seems to have a base that owes more to the white tea than it does to the green. There’s the initial hit of sweet spearmint, the floral and perfume-like jasmine, a slight grassiness, and then the smooth, honey-like taste and texture of white tea. It’s only the very slightest bit astringent, and that might even be my fault for being a bit impatient with the water.

I like that Bluebird are trying to do something different with their teas, like this white/green blend. It’s a deceptive tea, as the liquor is golden brown, and the scent definetly lead me to expect more of a green tea. That’s not what I got, though, and this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It’s not 100% my kind of thing, but it is pleasant, and the spearmint is simply glorious. Another I’m glad to have had the chance to try!

Oh man. Had this the other night when I was feeling oddly groggy and blergh after a long day and WAY too much pasta for dinner (I really should have known better!) and it elevated wonderfully. Somehow, the spearmint and jasmine combo makes the whole thing into a sort of sweet, juicy floral. I’m wary of florals tasting a bit cloying if they’re strong, bu somehow this manages masses of jasmine while being incredibly light and soft and sweet, while still being packed full of flavour. This, plus a big fluffy blanket, plus watching James May attempt to build things on telly, plus someone to cuddle up to, is basically my ideal quiet night in.

Nattie

I really like it when James May attempts to build things (: have you seen his giant lego house?

keychange

Also tons of pasta for dinner is soooo comforting at the time, no judgment here!

Sami Kelsh

I’m pretty sure that if we could move into a giant lego house, Gentleman would jump at the chance. We have lego versions of ourselves. It took like 15 minutes of serious conversation to come to the conclusion that having someone to take to Legoland isn’t a good reason to have children.

Pasta’s amazing. I’m having it again tonight, in part because the tomato sauce in the fridge will go funny if I leave it until I’m back from the Easter weekend, but also because it’s so good. You just have to time it such that it’s okay to be a zombie after you’ve eaten!

Nattie

At Legoland, no excuses are needed.
It is seriously one of the best places I’ve ever been. Also the lego versions of yourselves sound incredible!