Fruit Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Forgotten that I'd rated this already when I grabbed it tonight for a swap with someone else. Decided to have one of the last cups of it, and then to put the rest in the swap box for someone else...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 940 tasting notes
  • “Looks like i'm the first to review tis funny named tea Retro Ted! Seems like this blend is made up out off many fruit ingredients like coconut, orange, pineapple and alot off lemongrass and...” Read full tasting note
    darky 108 tasting notes
  • “This tea is fascinating. I think I'm enjoying it? It has a very distinct flavour. The lemongrass adds such a unique flavour when combined with the coconut and pineapple. I'll have to think more on...” Read full tasting note
    Courtney 578 tasting notes
  • “I have to confess, I’m not liking the smell of this much at all. Where food is concerned, pineapple and coconut are two of my favourite things. Together, however, and particularly in tea, the scent...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 680 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Hawaiian fruit blend – coconut, pineapple, lemongrass + rose

Hibiscus, Rosehip, Apple, Coconut, Pineapple, Rose petals, Orange, Lemongrass

Everyone thinks their grandad is a bit of a retro legend but my grandad Ted is a true classic. He loves cruising around the world visiting tropical climates so this tea is perfect for him. With coconut, pineapple and lots of pretty flower petals, it’s Hawaii in a cup.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Forgotten that I’d rated this already when I grabbed it tonight for a swap with someone else. Decided to have one of the last cups of it, and then to put the rest in the swap box for someone else to try. Have I mentioned how much I love swaps (and how many I have here right now, waiting for me to send them off? A huge bag full, that’s how much).

Anyway. To the tea! Like last time, this smells infinitely better than it tastes. Even just sitting here at my desk I get a wonderfully fragrant, decadent coconut wafting over to my nose, with some subtle fruits in the background. Drinking it however just isn’t the same. I want more flavor dear Retro Ted, and less tartness.

Looks like i’m the first to review tis funny named tea Retro Ted!

Seems like this blend is made up out off many fruit ingredients like coconut, orange, pineapple and alot off lemongrass and hibiscus. The smell of the dry ingredients is very sweet and fruity. So i’m going to brew a cup for 3min with near boiling water.

The color off the brew turns out the be a pink/red like liquor and still smells great! My first few sips are when the tea is a bit to hot, but it tastes very sweet. my taste buds can seperate the hibiscus and lemongrass pretty good but the sweetness really comes from all the other fruits in there.

A very nice cup sweeter then i expected but then again i’m not used off drinking alot off fruit infusions. This is infact why i so appreciate to be able to sample 5 different blends from bluebird company. If the other samples are just as good then this one i’m going to order there for my summer fruit blends!

This tea is fascinating. I think I’m enjoying it? It has a very distinct flavour. The lemongrass adds such a unique flavour when combined with the coconut and pineapple. I’ll have to think more on this one as I finish my cup.

Thanks Scheherazade!

Scheherazade

You’re welcome! I thought it was a bit odd, but I think that’s just my reaction to Pineapple and Coconut together! My dad loves it.

I have to confess, I’m not liking the smell of this much at all. Where food is concerned, pineapple and coconut are two of my favourite things. Together, however, and particularly in tea, the scent is a bit…funky. Much like Adagio’s Pina Colada, this one has hibiscus and rosehip in it. I’m not sure why it’s such a prevalent combination. To my mind, red fruity things and tropical fruity things are much better kept separate. Anyway, it’s wrong to knock something before you’ve tried it, so on to the tasting!

Brewed, this smells…better. The pineapple and coconut seem to have settled down a little bit, which is giving me hope. Maybe they’ll even play nicely! I probably shouldn’t have hoped, because after tasting, I’m still in two minds. There’s a kind of oily film on the surface of this one, and I’m not really sure what it tastes of. Mainly coconut, I think, although the whole thing seems strangely muted. Even the hibiscus isn’t up to its usual tricks. Part of me is glad, because after the initial scent of this one met my nose, I was more than a bit worried about the taste to come. I do wish the taste was a bit more decided, though. At the moment, it’s like the pineapple and coconut, and the hibiscus and rosehip are two sides of an army at stalemate. Neither is winning, and the result is that this tea doesn’t taste particularly of one thing or the other. As it cools, a sweetness develops and I can taste the coconut more easily, but this isn’t quite what I was expecting. I guess that’s maybe what you get when you come to something which quite decided assumptions, but this one has me more or less confounded at the moment. I’m just not sure what to make of it!

I’ve just sent some of this out in a swap, but I should have enough for another cup or two before it’s gone. For now, I’m going to give this 50, because it seems like a halfway tea (or a tea of two halves?) if ever there was one.

Boiling 8 min or more

This is a bit odd, not quite what I was expecting, but still I like it.
I was expecting this to be a fruity tisane, but for me it was more like a wellness blend. Does that make sense – there is some taste (lemongrass maybe) that i find in most wellness blends. Whatever that is, that’s what this tastes like.
Anyway, I like it – not very hibiscus – nice coconut and pineapple. I would order more of this.
_________________________________________________________________________

I don’t normally talk about my cupboard in my tasting notes, but just for the record I’m down to 250 – was at 358 in the middle of January. Would like to gradually reduce it down to about 150, but for now I’m feeling a lot better about it.

VariaTEA

Congrats Dexter!! Over 100 teas is amazing!

TheTeaFairy

You are doing so great, so proud of you :-)

So I can send you more tea? giggling that’s awesome….you can do eeeet!

Terri HarpLady

(whispering across the continent) “Hey Sil, send me Dexter’s address, heheheheheh”

hahahahahaha

Terri HarpLady

Seriously, congrats Dex! I’ve also been trying to whittle my cupboard down, & I haven’t done a count lately, but I’m hoping to end the month around 300, & then keep bringing it down to a reasonable collection of teas. I really want to be able to drink a cup of each one every month, but I don’t want to waterlog myself every day, & I don’t want to drink them just to get them drank. I want to savor them. Good luck to both of us!

TeaBrat

My cupboard says I have 240 but that doesn’t count samples I got. I have no idea how many I really have!

Cavocorax

That’s awesome! Way to go!!!

Dexter3657

Thanks guys – this 100 was pretty easy, I had lots of samples and small amounts – the next 100 is going to take some time. The good news is that I’m not stressing as much about it.
Conservative, periodic orders, combined with a balanced approach to drinking older teas, samples, and favorite is the plan.
Terri I agree I don’t want to feel like I’m FORCING myself to drink tea, I need to find the balance. Thank you, but it’s ok – you don’t need to bribe Sil for an address – really I’m good. Thanks anyway. :))
TeaBrat – denial is a good thing – you won’t stress about it if you don’t know.

balance is key.. otherwise it just feels like work. :) i just think of every cup as being a step towards an eventual sipdown haha

Terri HarpLady

Balance between teas I already know I really love, & teas I’d like to sample…I got plenty of both!

TTB: This one was not all hibiscusy! I enjoyed it