Skinny Minny

Oolong Pu-erh Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “First tea of the new year! I requested this as a sample with my last Bluebird order, and they were kind enough to oblige. I was a little scared of it -- an oolong/pu'erh blend isn't exactly...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 947 tasting notes
  • “once again i'm the first to review a tea from Bluebird Tea Company! I'm very curious about this one Skinny Minny, funky name for a very cool looking blend. Puerth and oolong combined? Ginseng and...” Read full tasting note
    darky 110 tasting notes
  • “Well. I am definitely not feeling skinny today, as I ate two plates of pancakes yesterday for dinner and another plate of pancakes today for brunch and I'm having lady troubles. So a tea full of...” Read full tasting note
    whatthefoucault 164 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

An energizing, metabolism boosting, stomach calming elixir tea

Chinese Pu’erh tea, Chinese Oolong tea, Ginger, Orange, Ginseng, Fennel

The ‘skinny-fying’ properties of this tea are way too long to list on this tiny label but we will try to give you the thin of it (get it?!)… Pu’erh – the compost tea. Oolong – the metabolism booster. Ginger – the stomach calmer. Fennel – the appetite suppressor and digestion stimulator. Ginseng – the energy booster, to keep you on that treadmill!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

First tea of the new year! I requested this as a sample with my last Bluebird order, and they were kind enough to oblige. I was a little scared of it — an oolong/pu’erh blend isn’t exactly something that makes my heart sing. I’m all for challenging my preconceptions, though, so I gave it a go this morning. After the new year festivities, it’s a pretty ideal choice!

I brewed this fairly conservatively — 2.5 minutes at the recommended temparature (80/175). It’s actually much more palatable than I feared. The first flavour I can taste is ginger, then a hint of orange, with aniseed coming in last. The base teas don’t really distinguish themselves. There’s a hint of earthiness in the aftertaste, but it’s nothing especially bothersome. I actually think this would make a pleasant stomach calming tea after an illness, a heavy meal or a lot of drinking. It’s a cleansing, clean taste, and it feels like you might be doing yourself some good drinking it. To my surprise, this is one I will consider repurchasing with a future order — how’s that for a 2014 start?

once again i’m the first to review a tea from Bluebird Tea Company! I’m very curious about this one Skinny Minny, funky name for a very cool looking blend. Puerth and oolong combined? Ginseng and ginger with fennel seeds and orange peel? Woooh thats loads off different stuff! i like cooked puerth, i’m in love with oolongs, i love ginger in my tea… very curious indeed!

Brewing the whole tea sample for 3min with near boiling water. The brew is a nice dark brown liquor. I’ve got a hard time smelling this because i’m still suffering from a cold. So i’m going to skip the smelling part…

Anyway onto sipping the cup. While its still to hot to get subtle notes i can clearly notice the ginseng because it got a distinct taste (if you ask me, not sure how others think about it). When its cooled more i can find the orange taste, the ginger and whats probably the fennel seeds (never had fennel in my tea i think).

The oolong and puerth base for the tea is exellent in flavor. This skinny minny almost taste like a good chai and thats a good thing! I’m very mutch enjoying the first cup, going to do a second brew in a while!

Well.

I am definitely not feeling skinny today, as I ate two plates of pancakes yesterday for dinner and another plate of pancakes today for brunch and I’m having lady troubles. So a tea full of things that are supposed to be really good for your tummy seems like a damn good idea.

And was I excited for a tea which combines pu’erh (which I love) and oolong (which I love) and ginger (which I love)? Heck yeah! The first thing I smell is ginger. And then some more ginger. And even more ginger. I lost count brewing it, so I’m guessing it was 3 minutes, but I could be estimating wrong because my stove heats really unevenly and I was trying not to burn my pancakes. I’m still getting mostly a big hit of sharp ginger in the cup, so I added a little milk, which tends to bring forward the pu’erh in blends. And it does! Now there’s a lovely earthy note beneath the ginger. I’m noticing sweet fennel notes as the tea cools as well, but it blends well with the other flavours. It tastes like it’s good for you, but in a really delicious way. Mmm, gingery.