Strawberry Lemonade

Fruit Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “One of the teas from my last Bluebird Tea Co monthly club package. I've been wanting to try this one for a while, strawberry lemonade sounds like a delicious tea creation that would be great for...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1082 tasting notes
  • “I loved strawberry lemonade when I was a child (and anything pink, come to that). Now I'm all grown up, I like tea more than carbonated drinks -- and fruit tea is a particularl favourite. When the...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 969 tasting notes
  • “Sample sipdown! Sipping at this tea while I crochet a commission (it's soo cute!) My husband also just came home post dentist with a super temp front tooth. Insurance rolls over next month, so...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1043 tasting notes
  • “First cup of the day and it's a herbal. The liquor is a pinkish red and it smells like citrus laced red berry jam, or strawberry rhubarb pie. Hot, it tastes jam sweet, with a smooth, floral rose...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 496 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Bluebird’s best selling fantastically fruity infusion

Hibiscus, Rosehip, Apple, Lemon, Orange, Strawberry, Elderberry, Sunflower petals

Amazing iced or hot, any time of year, all ages, girl, boy, dog… This versatile little number is a big hit all-round. With real strawberry bits and zesty lemon peel, it’s easy to see why. Get a pitcher on the go will you, love?

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

One of the teas from my last Bluebird Tea Co monthly club package. I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while, strawberry lemonade sounds like a delicious tea creation that would be great for the summer.

I can taste the strawberry which has a jam like quality in terms of flavour, thickness and sweetness but it’s also a little tart and sour with the lemon and hibiscus coming through. It lightens up however in the after taste and it’s sweetness increases.

As it cools the hibiscus becomes stronger and over takes most of the lemon flavour to make it more strawberry hibiscus jam like than strawberry lemonade.

It’s nice but I think it has a little too much hibiscus for my liking. I will try it iced too and see if it’s more to my taste. Will report tomorrow.

I loved strawberry lemonade when I was a child (and anything pink, come to that). Now I’m all grown up, I like tea more than carbonated drinks — and fruit tea is a particularl favourite. When the two can combine, it’s a good day in my book. The dry leaves of this tea are insanely summery. Huge chunks of strawberry, lemon and orange peel, small pieces of apple, hibiscus, and sunflower petals. The scent isn’t exactly strawberry lemonade — it’s somehow more sherbet-like than that. I suppose that could be the “fizz” element. Either way, it definetly smells of strawberries, with maybe the faintest hint of lemon. Fresh, sweet, beautiful!

I tried this cold brewed a couple of weekends back, and was a tiny bit disappointed with how well the strawberry came out. It was a little flat tasting, and the hibiscus seemed to take over, so I’ll be interested to see whether it’s different brewed hot.

Brewed, this is definetly a fight between the strawberry and the hibiscus, but I think the strawberry just about wins. The same sherbetty element I picked out in the smell survives and adds a certain lemonade-esque quality to this tea. The lemon itself comes out really clearly in the aftertaste. On balance, I wish there was a little bit less hibiscus, but this is a pretty good fruit tea. I certainly get strawberry lemonade from it, and accurate taste can sometimes be a rare commodity in fruit teas. I could drink this happily all summer — it’s so juicy, naturally sweet, and nicely balanced in flavour. Great work, Bluebird!

Boiling 8 min or more
TeaBrat

I think Teavana also has a tea like this, have you tried it?

Scheherazade

No, I haven’t yet. Lack of a credit card is the problem at the moment, but it’s certainly one I’d like to try in the future.

Sample sipdown!

Sipping at this tea while I crochet a commission (it’s soo cute!) My husband also just came home post dentist with a super temp front tooth. Insurance rolls over next month, so hopefully the tooth stays in place. No beef jerky for him until then!

Yeah, I really need to get these samples down. This one, hmmmm. A bit of citrus with hibscius and quite tart. I made this iced with a bit of honey. I’m not getting much strawberry, mostly a mid sip murmur. Not bad iced, but this would be much better with fresh lemon slices and some frozen strawberries.

Iced
OMGsrsly

I had my temp teeth for about 6 months… :) If he’s careful about how he eats things it should last pretty well!

Awkward Soul

He had his temptemp tooth for 2 hours and took a bite of beef jerky and half of it fell off. I’m thinking he didn’t learn from the first incident!

First cup of the day and it’s a herbal. The liquor is a pinkish red and it smells like citrus laced red berry jam, or strawberry rhubarb pie. Hot, it tastes jam sweet, with a smooth, floral rose bridge, and a tart hibiscus/citrus finish. I’m liking this a lot more than I though I would, particularly for the citrus, but it’s not going to win over those wary of hibiscus. It’s also not distinctly strawberry at this stage.

I’m going to put the rest in the fridge and revisit this note later. This tastes like it would be just the thing iced or cooled.

Update cold cup- now it’s cold and I’m getting the sour and citric lemonade aspect from it. When it comes to teas I’m not a sweetener person, but this is unsweetened lemonade and would probably taste great with some syrup or agave. The flavours are still more berry citrus hibiscus than strawberry but it’s an enjoyable, refreshing cup. I think I prefer it hot though, for the pie jam.

Received a sample of this with my Bluebird order.

The dry smell is pleasant; very fruity & sweet. It steeps to a red, sangria-colored tisane with a somewhat floral aroma that smells (to me) like a strawberry pie filling. I can see hibiscus listed as the first ingredient (uh-oh), but since it smells so good, I’m hoping it won’t be an issue.

First sip… Yep, there’s the hibiscus. Maybe I’m sensitive to the flavor of hibiscus, but it’s really the only thing I can taste in this. Tart hibiscus with a slightly sweet aftertaste from the fruit. Disappointing, because all the other ingredients seem like something that I might like.

Oh well, I guess it’s just not the tisane for me.

Anyanka

I’m working on a magical spell to eradicate hibiscus from the tea world. (Shh.)

KiwiDelight

I like hibiscus :( Well, when it’s by itself and iced, anyway.

Lindsey

Ha! I’ve found a few teas where I can actually tolerate it – I think it works surprisingly well in DT Pink Flamingo (as long as I’m very careful not to oversteep) – but for most blends, I’m just not a fan.

I received this as a sample with my Bluebird order. I tossed the sachet into a cup of water and cold steeped in the fridge overnight. The flavors, while pleasant, aren’t very strong. This was a pretty generic fruit flavored tisane. It probably did taste of some strawberry, but it was more just “berry” and I didn’t get any “lemonade” at all. I thought it was ok but not really anything special.

1922 tasting notes

Sipdown!!

Thank you Nattie for sending some of this my way! It smells amazing :)

Sipping on it now, I am once again not minding the hibiscus. Could it be that me and the hibby might actually be friends?!? Anyways, this tea is pretty spot on for strawberry lemonade minus the acidity of real lemonade. I can see this being really good iced and sweetened just a bit.

I made this to go with my early evening meal of strawberries (impulse clearance purchase at Tesco, and they are GORGEOUS) and rhubarb yoghurt (which I overbought because it was on multibuy special and I don’t mind at all because it’s my favourite, and turns out it’s Gentleman’s too – good Gosh, we’re nauseatingly cute) and it seemed fitting that my tea should be strawberry lemonade with such a meal.

This is also the last of my new Bluebird teas, so it’ll be a while before I get to try another Bluebird flavour for the first time.

And I have to say that this is probably my least favourite of the teas I’ve had from them. That’s not to say it isn’t good by any means, but just a bit less exciting, I suppose. There’s something in the flavour that almost reminds me of tart apples, and the more I think of it in that way and the less I look for full-on fresh strawberry flavour, the more I like it, actually. I’m bumping the rating up a bit before I post this because of that, come to think of it.

It’s got a bit of a jammyness and a tart finish that befits a tea with lemonade in the name; indeed, it’s tart enough that I feel the need to offset it with a bit of sugar, though that’s not unusual for me and my ravenous sweet tooth anyway. There’s definitely a presence of hibiscus, which is something I dig. I’m like 2/3 of the way through this cup of tea and I’ve decided I like it. Yep.

yyz

Mmmm strawberries…I had the pleasure of living within walking distance of the strawberry fields the summer I lived outside of Dublin. They are still the best commercially produced strawberries I remember having.. It’s neat how teas change as you drink down the cup and cool. Sound like a nice meal.

Sami Kelsh

Oh man. There used to be a pick-your-own strawberry farm between my old house and my grandmother’s. I miss that. Beautiful, isn’t it? :)

yyz

The best :-)

I didn’t post anything at all yesterday I’m so sorry! I try to post at least one note a day, which isn’t much considering I usually drink at least three different teas in a day (four yesterday) and I still didn’t manage to get anything posted. I’d like to say I was super busy, but really I just forgot.

So, backlog from yesterday. I had this again last night, but in a larger mug so I added an extra teaspoon. I also let it steep for almost half an hour as I forgot about it.

I don’t know which element caused it to change so drastically, but this time the smell was less bowl of fruit and more metallic coins. I found this really off putting, but the strawberry smell was still present in the background so I held out hope.

Nope.

Even though it had steeped for so long, I could still taste tap water, with an added taste of sucking on a coin. There’s a vague strawberry taste behind the coppery awfulness, but it does not dominate as it did last time. This really disappointed me, as I seriously loved it then, and I hope future brews work out more like the first one. It’s also extremely tart, and I have a feeling the hibiscus may have gotten the better of this cup. Like I said in my previous review, the dry mix of fruit etc. is so varied and chunky that it’s hard to get the same thing in two spoonfuls, and I definitely had more hibiscus and less strawberry this time around. The longer I drink it, however, the more the strawberry comes out, so it’s not so bad.

If this was my first cup, I would have rated it somewhere around the 38 mark and left it untouched in my cupboard for months. I’m not going to change the rating, though, as I use it to reflect the best a drink can be, and always use how I best enjoyed it to give my rating.

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 15 OZ / 450 ML
Anna

If you don’t feel like writing a whole review, you can always just post an empty tasting note. =)

Nattie

I want to log my teas fully the first time I drink it, or if I have a different experience than previously. I will definitely keep that in mind, though! (:

Anna

Oh, I completely understand that – I just meant for those ‘oh, this tastes the same as ever’ notes.

Nattie

Yeah, definitely a better idea than repeating the same thing over!