Apple, Calendula, Ceylon Black Tea, Chocolate Bits, Cocoa, Hibiscus, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Rose Hips
Berries, Chocolate, Cocoa, Orange Zest
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 8 oz / 233 ml

2 Images

• “I tried this the same time as Lupicia's Chcoolate Orange, but I find I prefer this one. The chocolate tastes like dark chocolate which is nice, and it's slightly bitter which is reminiscent of...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1691 tasting notes
  • “*Tea #13 from HHTTB2* Once this is brewed up, it smells just like dark cocoa with a hint of orange! The flavor is dark and cocoa-y, though the base itself isn't terribly strong. The orange flavor...” Read full tasting note
    moraiwe 616 tasting notes
  • “Teabox B! When I saw this list of ingredients I was thinking "WHAT was Terry thinking?!?!" No, not the Terri who sent this for me to try (thank you!) but the Terry the blend is named for. ...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1368 tasting notes
  • “I could eat some chocolate right about now and it's unusual I would crave it to begin with, I'm a savoury person over sweet most of the time. In raw form it has a soured cocoa scent that is...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1082 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Orange chocolate tea blend. It’s not Terry’s…

We named our amazing orange and chocolate tea after our uncle Terry because it’s his favourite. He’s so fond of it he keeps telling people it’s his. So we have to remind people it’s not actually Terry’s, it’s ours! But with real chocolate bits and fruity orange peel we can’t really blame him!

Ingredients: Ceylon Black Tea, Cocoa, Calendula, Hibiscus, Apple, Rosehip, Orange, Chocolate hearts, natural flavour.

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100°C (212° F) water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

I tried this the same time as Lupicia’s Chcoolate Orange, but I find I prefer this one. The chocolate tastes like dark chocolate which is nice, and it’s slightly bitter which is reminiscent of dark chocolate as well! It was overall an enjoyable tea, but not my favourite dessert tea. I’ll play around with it a bit before I rate it, but it’s at least 70.

I’m not a huge fan of hibiscus in my teas, so I think I’ll try steeping this for 3 minutes next time.

I really don’t like lupicia s orange chocolat. Stacy’s the only tea place that has done chocolate and orange together properly for me heh

Cavocorax

It’s a hard one to do right! I’m picky about chocolate in teas, but from what I recall I did like the Butiki version (which isn’t a surprise – I think the pineapple one is the only one I was meh about).

Terri HarpLady

This one sounds interesting!

Tea #13 from HHTTB2

Once this is brewed up, it smells just like dark cocoa with a hint of orange!

The flavor is dark and cocoa-y, though the base itself isn’t terribly strong. The orange flavor comes through as very much candied orange rind flavor. And while the hibiscus doesn’t come through on the sip, the musty tartness is pervasive in the aftertaste. I’d be afraid to brew this longer in fear of popping the hibiscus into the sip.

Good, but not great.

Teabox B! When I saw this list of ingredients I was thinking “WHAT was Terry thinking?!?!” No, not the Terri who sent this for me to try (thank you!) but the Terry the blend is named for. Chocolate, hibiscus, orange, apple, rosehips?!? The chocolate and orange is weird enough of a combo for me. But I trust Bluebird and they have some really nice blends that I have sampled that I can’t wait to order… but I’m trying to hold off! After steeping for four minutes, the flavor really isn’t that bad. Maybe there wasn’t hibiscus in this teaspoon, but I didn’t taste any. There were equal hints of orange, chocolate all on a mild black tea base. I do wish Bluebird used a stronger black base, but that would probably take away from their awesome blend idea (usually better than this one.) There was also a taste that I had in The Tea Merchant’s Yunnan’s Fable pu-erh that had be thinking this was either pu-erh or had coconut but I was wrong. I liked this one more than I thought but I will leave the rest of this one in the teabox for someone else to try.

Mike Turner

Thanks for the comments! It’s named after a product in the UK called Terry’s Chocolate Orange as it’s a bit of a play on that and how they market it here – hence the strange name!

We use hibiscus sometimes just to give a bit of a fruity boost, so it’s often only a small enough amount that the flavour of the hibiscus itself doesn’t come through strongly.

Thanks a lot for mentioning our awesome blend ideas, we love coming up with them and we feel honoured to be in your favourite teas list!

Tea Sipper

Thanks for reading! I didn’t know about Terry’s chocolate oranges but I probably would have blamed Terry anyway! haha. I’m looking forward to a Bluebird order! Especially if you happen to get resealable packaging. Also, I sometimes think Bluebeard when I think of Bluebird!

Mike Turner

We are now using resealable packaging after a few people said the same!

Mike Turner

Terry’s chocolate oranges are amazing, give one a try if you ever get the chance!

Tea Sipper

All packaging is resealable now, including the smaller packaging on the experience packs?

Mike Turner

Yep, the large packets are still in the same packaging with the tin tie at the moment (although we will shortly be offering those in zip lock pouches too) and the experience packs are now in zip lock pouches.

Tea Sipper

Good to know! I’ll have to order sooner now!

I could eat some chocolate right about now and it’s unusual I would crave it to begin with, I’m a savoury person over sweet most of the time.

In raw form it has a soured cocoa scent that is quite heavy on the rosehip. Hopefully it will taste nicer than it smells.

Once steeped it smells more chocolatey than before but it’s still missing the orange. Instead it smells sort of…musty and sour and old. I think it’s just the rosehip and cocoa combination but honestly it isn’t that pleasant.

Flavour is dark and rich with heavy tones from both the ceylon and chocolate but similar to it’s smell it also tastes sour. I’m struggling to find anything nice about a tea that’s dark rich and sour. It’s far from the chocolate orange drink I had imagined.

I’m stopping the review, this one is just not for me. I don’t even think I can finish it. Bleugh. Sorry Bluebird Tea Co, no rating for this.

Thanks again to Cavocorax for another awesome tea sample :D

Although I’m pretty sure I’ve found my perfect orange chocolate tea (a Butiki custom blend, Two Friends), I’m still curious to try others. Hence, this tea! I was a bit weirded out at first that it had hibiscus in it, but since I usually go for a pretty short infusion with blacks anyhow, I figured it wouldn’t cause too many problems. I seem to be right, as I can’t taste it at all. What I can taste is some tasty orange, with a background of dark chocolate. The orange is a little… brighter? Than in the Butiki blend… maybe that’s the hibiscus at work? It’s not a bad thing, just different. The chocolate base also isn’t as obvious, but I am definitely enjoying the lack of astringency here (though 2 minute infusions tame even the worst of teas. Not that I think this one couldn’t have handled 3-4 minutes).

Overall, not a bad cup of tea, but it wouldn’t be my first choice to fill any tea desire niche.

This is one of the samples that came with my first Bluebird order. I’ve tried a good few chocolate teas now, but this is my first chocolate orange experience. It’s a combination I like in reality (Terry’s are a favourite of mine), so I’m interested to see how the tea version works out.

The dry leaves smell just like the chocolate bar. There’s the initial milky smoothness, and then the zesty zing of orange. I’m not 100% sure on the ingredients, but it looks like some kind of petal (maybe marigold?), pieces of orange and orange zest, something that looks like a hazelnut shaving, chocolate pieces, and maybe a small amount of hibiscus and rosehip, as well as black tea. All I know at this point is that if it tastes anything like it smells I’ll be too happy to care!

And it does, so I’m over the moon! The liquor, without milk, is a red-brown colour. With milk, it turns the colour of a latte or a mug of hot chocolate. The first thing I can taste is creamy, milky chocolate, followed swiftly by the slight tang of orange. It is just like drinking a bar of orange flavoured chocolate. Creamy, chocolatey, orangey. It sounds simple, and it is, but it’s so, so yummy and not at all artificial tasting. I’m really glad to have tried this one — thank you Bluebird!

mmm this does sound tasty

yyz

excited to try my sample now!

Tea #7 from the Here’s Hoping TTB

It isn’t often I say this about an orange flavored tea, but this wasn’t bad, and that is saying a lot because I really hate orange. I liked the combination of dark chocolate and orange, which is also a first for me because normally that is a combination that just doesn’t seem to turn out well. I wish there had been more of this, I would like to have been able to play around with this more. My cup turned out really weak, even though I only used 6 oz of water. This could quite possibly be an orange tea I could really enjoy. I consider it an added bonus that I really liked the quality of chocolate used as well, I’m really picky about chocolate teas.

Looks like I’m really making progress on the I hate all things citrus front!

This tea won’t be continuing on, I finished off the last little bit.

Tea Sipper

I’m so sorry so many teas from the teabox have been orange that you don’t like! Yikes!

So, I received this in a sample. (I wish the samples were a big bigger to be able to experiment with how to take it, etc., but that’s another story.) The smell is nice citrus with the mix of chocolate. With one of my favorite chocolate treats being those orange chocolate things (I cannot recall the names of them), I was excited for this. However, after this was steeped, I was a bit depressed to it. I couldn’t really get any taste out of this. And after I added milk to it, but it started to taste a bit off? It was a bit better when it got cold, though, not by much. The directions on the website were a bit vague for how to brew as well. (Or I thought so at least). I might request another sample of this at some point when I have the money so I can try it again and alter a few things when I have money, but I’m sad to say I was disappointed in this.

Thanks for the sample Nattie!

This tea is really growing on me. At first I didn’t think that hibiscus and chocolate would work, but the sip opens up with the tartness of the orange and hibiscus and finishes with the nice, roasted sweetness of the cocoa.

Flavors: Berries, Chocolate, Cocoa, Orange Zest

I’ve been putting off reviewing this tea for a few days, in the hope that it would grow on me. After several cups, I guess it’s time to accept that it hasn’t, and that I’ve found the first tea that I actively dislike (sorry Bluebird Tea!) Out of the five teas I bought from them, this is the only one that isn’t amazing, so I guess they’ve still done pretty well!

I am a huge fan of Terry’s Chocolate Oranges, so obviously I had to try this tea as soon as I saw it. Unfortunately, the dry tea smells nothing like a chocolate orange, but almost exactly like a chocolate orange flavoured alcohol shots drink I bought a year or so back before I stopped drinking. I say unfortunately, because that was possibly the worst drink I’ve had in my life. The smell is very citrusy, with just a hint of sour dark chocolate in the background, but the citrus smell is very artificial and I have a feeling it might be the smell of orange oil. When brewed, the smell becomes more pleasant and smells more of real oranges, although there is an oily sheen on the top of the water which I think comes from the theoretical orange oil.

I forgot to mention, on the plus side, the tea is super pretty. There are chunks of orange rind and little twirly things (I seriously have no idea about the twirly things) that make it really gorgeous to look at, which I’ve found to be a common theme in bluebird teas!

I’ve tried this tea many different ways (plain, with sugar, with honey, with sugar and milk, with honey and milk and as a latte, as well as in a protein shake) and the flavour is kinda similar across the board, which unfortunately means I didn’t like any of them. It tastes like I remembered the alcohol to taste, only hot. Definitely orangey, with a dark chocolate note playing around in the background somewhere, but the orange doesn’t really taste fruity, I’m sorry if that doesn’t really make sense, but I was expecting a sort of warming, tangy marmalade sort of orange, but instead it tastes artificial, which I sad ‘cause there are definitely chunks of real orange in it! Also when brewed, the tea is kind of a browny-pinky colour, which I found odd. Not sure what to say about that, so I’ll just leave it there…

Not for me, I’m sorry Bluebird, but I’m sure there are some people out there who would enjoy this.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 230 ML
Cavocorax

I remember being disappointed with this as well. Chocolate in tea is such a hard thing to do right…

Nattie

Looking at the reviews I think a few people have been, it’s just disappointing because I was so looking forward to this!
It really is, but the frustrating thing is that I have ‘Love Potion’ from bluebird, and they have the chocolate in that spot on. I think the combination of chocolate with orange is incredibly hard to get right, I might have to live with the knowledge that I’m just not going to find a good chocolate orange tea ):