Toasted Apple

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Not bad not bad! heavy on the rice, which I like. A very mild apple note that blends surprisingly well with the genmaicha. I would buy some if it was local!! Sadly though, I missed out on trying it...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1326 tasting notes
  • “0.9 tablespoon for 248 Candy green apple flavouring. Slightness of blunt astringency or smokiness. Toasty rice flavour. Green tea flavour complements the apple taste very well. Green tea flavour...” Read full tasting note
    Rarity 488 tasting notes
  • “I wasn't sure about this one when I tried my first cup, but I think now that I've more or less recovered from my cold, I can give this one a fairer chance. I gave 1 tsp of leaf 2.5 minutes in water...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1048 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Antioxidant rich roasted green tea, popped rice + toasty apples

Chinese green tea, Apple, Japanese Genmaica (Bancha green tea, Popped rice).

This blend of roasted green tea, popped rice and toasty apples is a bit of a tea Marmite. Some are addicted to its grassy, savoury taste but it’s not for those with a sweet tooth. Don’t worry though, Genmaicha fans will absolutely love Bluebird’s unique twist on the classic Japanese ‘popcorn’ tea.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Not bad not bad! heavy on the rice, which I like. A very mild apple note that blends surprisingly well with the genmaicha. I would buy some if it was local!! Sadly though, I missed out on trying it while hot. I got a phonecall and when I got back it had chilled… a well. The one little sip I did get was kinda floral, in an apple sorta way. Made me curious!

0.9 tablespoon for 248

Candy green apple flavouring. Slightness of blunt astringency or smokiness. Toasty rice flavour. Green tea flavour complements the apple taste very well. Green tea flavour is mild and sencha-like.

I wasn’t sure about this one when I tried my first cup, but I think now that I’ve more or less recovered from my cold, I can give this one a fairer chance. I gave 1 tsp of leaf 2.5 minutes in water cooled to around 180 degrees. The resulting liquor is a quite surprising yellow-orange. Unexpectedly vibrant!

To taste, it’s quite a savoury tea. I can taste an almost starchy baked apple, sharp rather than sweet, and a toasty undertone from the rice. It’s a pretty spot on recreation of baked apple, to be fair. The green tea base is sencha like, smooth and a little grassy. It complements the apple flavour well. There’s a tinge of bitterness right at the end of the sip that puts me off a little, because I usually gravitate towards sweeter teas. It’s nice to try something a little out of my normal range, though; almost a palate refresher! Another pleasing Bluebird tea.

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp