Totally Nutty

Black Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “My last Bluebird sample is a surprise that is even better than I thought it would be! This one is a black tea mixed with HOUJICHA! I thought it was a black tea mixed with green tea. When the...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1100 tasting notes
  • “Looks like I'm the first to review this tea. So, no pressure? :O I wasn't sure what temperature to steep this one because it has black and green teas, but I think the rule is that you steep at...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1415 tasting notes
  • “Totally nutty sounds nice with its almond and cinnamon flavors, its got a black and green tea base... but i didn't know that until after i brewed my cup and looked it up to put this review in. So i...” Read full tasting note
    darky 109 tasting notes
  • “I wasn't sure what I'd make of this one, so I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised. The black base is a tiny bit thin for my liking, but it tastes okay and that's what matters. It's smooth...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 691 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Decadent almond + cinnamon tea

Ceylon black Tea, Almond, Japanese green tea, Cinnamon.

Are you totally nutty? A bit bonkers? Crazy crackers? Some marzipan short of a Christmas cake? Wait… is that just because you love the creamy almond taste? If it is, or if you are just totally nutty, this tea is right up your street (Strange St., Wackyville, right?).

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

My last Bluebird sample is a surprise that is even better than I thought it would be! This one is a black tea mixed with HOUJICHA! I thought it was a black tea mixed with green tea. When the description said green tea, I wasn’t thinking roasted green tea. I love the idea of a black/ houjicha combination. I think this is my first. There should also be almond & cinnamon but I wasn’t getting too much of an almond flavor. So I don’t think it’s “totally” nutty as the name suggests, or really nutty at all. I wish there were more— it would probably taste like marzipan! But the cinnamon is nice and sweet. Bluebird’s black base pairs really well with the roastiness of the houjicha. Very nice.

I really want to place a bluebird order as they have quite a few blends I’ve been dreaming of/ thinking of that I’ve actually tried but I realllyy shouldn’t right now!

Edited to add: I’m done with my Bluebird samples so I’ll post a list of my favorites (the blends I really want to order):
Hot Mama Jama 96
Rhubarb Custard 95
Bonfire Toffee 93
Coffee Pu-erh 93
Vicky’s Sponge Cake 93

Looks like I’m the first to review this tea. So, no pressure? :O

I wasn’t sure what temperature to steep this one because it has black and green teas, but I think the rule is that you steep at the lower temperature…

It smells mostly like cinnamon, but when you sip it the almond slides right it. And, oddly enough, I think I can actually taste the green tea in the blend too, which is amazing because I have a hard time noticing the bases under a lot of flavour. To me that is a sign that this blend has been balanced quite perfectly.

This doesn’t taste like it’s too strong either so it would be perfect for the afternoon or evening.

I’m not hugely into almond flavours, but this is very nice. I’d buy a sampler size of this!

Totally nutty sounds nice with its almond and cinnamon flavors, its got a black and green tea base… but i didn’t know that until after i brewed my cup and looked it up to put this review in. So i possibly brewed it with to hot water because there was green tea in it…

Ah well the dry leaf smell heavy cinnamon like and the blend looks tasty to! Brew color is a bright brown liquor. Still smelling strongly like cinnamon but i’m noticing a other good smelling thing to (not sure how to call it or what it is exactly), its a fresh blend u can tell that.

When the cup is cooled enough i’m trying some sips from my brew. First thing i notice is the black ceylon base that is soft but very present. I’m not sure i’m tasting the green tea thats in this blend but i don’t really mind. The almond is very present but not overwhelming and the cinnamon supports it a bit. I’m liking this tea and i’m pleased that i had a chance to try a sample off it!

A black/green tea blend with a twist to keep a refreshing eye on tea very well done!

I wasn’t sure what I’d make of this one, so I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised. The black base is a tiny bit thin for my liking, but it tastes okay and that’s what matters. It’s smooth with a slight edge of bitterness. The sweet toastiness of the nut flavouring counteracts that a little, and the overall effect is pleasant. I’m pretty sure I can taste brazil nuts here, and maybe hazelnut or almond. The “nut” flavour is a bit generic, but that’s my only real complaint. It’s tasty and different! An interesting cup.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

another tea from dexter that i had waaaay earlier in the day. It was quite tasty, though i remember wishing the nutty taste was just a little stronger. Overall though, another nice tea from bluebird!

Thank you Dexter3657 for sharing this with me. Sipping on it now, I can’t help but feel like I have had this before. It is actually driving me nuts because this smells/tastes exactly like another tea and I can’t put my finger on which one. With that said, I am not loving this one. It has an almost dry flavor like the skin of the nuts and I guess I was expecting more sweetness than what I am getting. Nonetheless, I am really grateful to have gotten to try it. One more tea to mark off the list.

Dexter3657

David’s Forever Nuts? At least I think the two are similar…

VariaTEA

I don’t think so but I can see why you would make that connection.

Hmmmm interesting. Ceylon , Japanese green blend with almond and cinnamon. This is not what I was expecting.
I’m getting apple – apple crumble maybe – apple nutty cinnamon pastry of some sort – almost a little creamy too. They could call this apple pie and ice cream – and I would buy that. Most times I don’t like the names of tea, and I can’t believe I’m suggesting something like that.
Anyway – I like it, it’s really nice. Not sure why I’m getting SO MUCH APPLE in a tea that’s not suppose to have any in it. Call me crazy – it’s ok. Subtle cinnamon, more just a hint in the back ground. I have had a couple of cup of this tonight, and will be happy to continue to work through my package of it.

Well.

A quiet weekend of not really trying any new teas, as Gentleman was visiting from Oxford, so my priorities were slightly less remembering all the tasting notes of new teas and more going shopping for new memory foam pillows and going to the best chippy in the city centre.

Now I’m having sniffly feelings because he’s going to Japan for a month. I wonder if I can convince him to bring back tea for me? HELLO, THERE’S AN IDEA!

But I digress. Back to the usual hamster wheel of useless cover letters for admin jobs I don’t actually want anyway, so I’m waking up to a nice cuppa. This was another one from my box of Bluebird tea roulette, and OH, IT IS GLORIOUS. I’m greeted by a beautiful rainbow of brown leaves and spice, and a soft fragrance of almond and cinnamon.

And it is so good. The dominant flavour is cozy, marzipanny almond, flanked by the tiniest whisper of cinnamon. Stick with it a moment longer, and the slightly roasty notes from the teas cut through the sweetness of the almond. This is one that plays well with milk, but is just as good naked. It’s making me feel a little better about the world.