Lemon Sherbet

Lemon, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

Available from 1 seller.

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Green tea + lemon is a classic. In true Bluebird style we have done it a bit different! Sweet + tangy like sherbet on your tongue + two types of lemon to make your mouth water with delight. Another fantastic blend to add to our traditional sweet collection.

Ingredients: Chinese green tea, Lemon verbena, Lemon peel, Stevia, Natural Flavour.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

The last tea to try from my monthly club package. I did intend to try using this as a morning tea but unfortunately this morning my stomach was too raw to drink tea. Still I could do with a kick of energy so perhaps it will make an equally good afternoon pick me up tea.

The blend looks green and herbal, lots of light green lemon verbena and only a light sprinkle of dark green tea leaves. All roughly chopped together. It smells strongly like lemon with a creamy yet sour undertone.

Once steeped the tea is gold in colour with a rich lemon verbena scent. Not as sour as expected, more creamy than sour.

Flavour is not as strong as it’s scent and if I’m completely honest I cannot taste anything sweet or sour enough to be considered sherbet like. It’s just missing something, perhaps a touch of sugar and hibiscus?

So sherbet it is not but it is a nice green tea and lemon verbena blend. Gentle, creamy and fresh tasting lemon with a wonderful citrus after taste. I love lermon verbena teas and this is a nice blend, not too strong nor too weak but a nice balance inbetween the two.

I my try this with a little sugar next time to see if any sherbet comes out in the flavour.

Sipdown (128)!

Thank you to Scheherazade for sending me a sample of this tea!

Personally speaking, this is one of those blends that I probably wouldn’t have chosen myself just because I’m not drawn to green blends normally and I think the pairing of citrus/lemon and green tea is a little played out, but the dry leaf smelled really strongly of sweet lemon juice or lemon candy, and I do like the simplicity of the tea so I was actually kind of excited regardless.

Because it is something I’ve kind of tried before, though, I wanted to do something a little different than usual – so I made this into a tea soda; while I wont take the time to explain my process of doing that (unless anyone would like me to) I will point out that the process uses sweetener though – and with a tea like this that’s already pre-sweetened due to the stevia in it a preparation method like this negates that aspect of the blend a little bit because when I tasted this tea I knew it would be sweet and expected that; theoretically with a more traditional tasting/preparation method I could have tasted the stevia and been more critical about it’s presence – I don’t typically like when my tea is sweetened for me; I want to have the choice to do that and pre-sweetened blends eliminate that choice.

I think the simplicity of the blend ultimately works against this tea though; the flavour was very monotone and I think the only reason that didn’t read as ‘flat’ was because of the carbonation which makes it hard to view anything as tasting ‘flat’. The green base was eclipsed and instead this had a really strong, distinct taste of lemon verbena or lemon myrtle; not exactly a ‘realistic’ lemon flavour and while strong and steady only really enjoyable if you’re big into those flavours to begin with. And you better be, because it’s all you’re going to taste.

Decent blend overall; the name’s pretty accurate so kudos for that. I just wish it had a little more to offer; I shouldn’t feel like I have to resort to creative methods like tea soda just to make this feel a little less mundane.

I also recently received a super-generous swap package from Nattie and haven’t gotten around to writing any of her teas up yet! Time to make amends and work through the ones I’ve tried :D

I really liked this one – it was lovely and lemony, with the green tea staying as a nice non-dominant background! I did get a hint of that astringent fizz that you get from a sherbet, and this tea was definitely sweet enough for me. Then again, as someone who hasn’t eaten a lemon sherbet/similar sweet for a good long time, I’m not exactly the best judge XD

Still, I happily drank this down and will look forward to my second (and probably final) cup – thanks Nattie :D

Flavors: Lemon, Sweet

I’ll be honest and say I wasn’t too sure about this one on first sip. I used 1 tsp of leaf, and gave it three minutes in water cooled to approximately 180 degrees. Looking at the dry leaf, there doesn’t appear to be a huge quantity of green tea leaves. It’s mostly lemon verbena, and stevia, as far as I can tell. Perhaps accordingly, the liquor is a pale lemon-yellow. The scent of both the dry leaf and brewed cup is deeply lemony – like lemon zest.

To taste, I was initially disappointed to find the flavour very mild. Lemon sherbets are a strong flavour, with a kick of sharp/sour alongside the boiled sweet sugariness. This tea is much, much more delicate than I was expecting. There is a distinctive lemon flavour; very much like lemon squeezed into water. It’s mildly sour, with a hint of sweetness from the stevia. There’s nothing that’s really making me think “sherbet” though. Not enough of a tang!

I like this one as a gentle, fresh lemon-tasting tea. I feel a little disappointed that it doesn’t live up to its name, but I imagine it would be good iced as well as hot. I’ll happily drink up the rest of my bag, but it’s not one I’d repurchase.

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

There was only ONE tasting note for this blend, other than KittyLovesTea who just happened to send me a sample (thank you so much!), so thought I’d remedy that! This was one of the Bluebird blends that were discontinued. It’s a nice blend, but at Bluebird, this blend has some tough competition. The green tea itself is a little odd – it looks like tree leaves you’d see out in the yard. It does have a nice lemon scent and flavor to it from the verbena. The green tea doesn’t get bitter and pairs well with the lemon. It’s good but I’ll start crying if some of my other Bluebird favorites disappear before I get to order. bluebirdteaco.com
Steep #1 // 30 min after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // 32 min after boiling // 4 min

Mike Turner

Good news… We just recontinued it, along with Gingerbread Chai!