Aniseed Balls

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by KittyLovesTea

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Liquorice, Aniseed, Star Anise, Hibiscus, Stevia, Chilli.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

This was in my box for this months tea club. I did say I’m not a fan of licorice and this contains it so in honesty I was not thrilled when I saw this tea. Then I decided to pick a tea at random to try and it was this one so I felt I might as well try it.

The loose blend smells very strongly of aniseed and licorice but the ingredients smell fresh which makes all the difference. I can honesty admit that I like the smell of this.

Steeping for 3 minutes in boiling water using Bluebirds perfect tea measuring spoon.

The tea is red in colour and it smells spicy like chili. Much different to it’s raw scent.

The tea itself tastes a little sweet at first with pure licorice and aniseed notes that are medium strength overall and in the after taste the chili flavour becomes stronger and gives a gentle tingle in the lips.

The scent of the tea is far stronger than the flavour and I believe that is why this tea works so well. It would make a nice addition to my winter tea cupboard as it’s very warming.

An impressive start to the tea club when I drink and enjoy ingredients that I don’t like. Well done. That being said this is not an ultimate love for me but I may get used to it over time and rate it higher.

Mike Turner

I thought I’d take a risk on one and see if I could convert you… It’s always more fun that way (although sounds like with the Beet It as well, maybe a box full of conversion opportunities!).

This one is odd. I’m not convinced that I like it yet. :P
Also, I’m not keen on the pre-added stevia. I always prefer to add my own sweetener (or not!)

Gave this a much longer brew time, and was rewarded with a much more cohesive “aniseed balls” flavour. Previously, I’ve felt that the different elements haven’t quite come together — this time, everything just worked! An almost perfect replica of a favourite childhood sweet.

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 4 tsp