Gingerbread Chai

Ginger, Rooibos
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 368 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “Sipdown! This will be very sadly missed, at least by me. The flavour of gingerbread was absolutely spot on here — sweet, crumbly, slightly molasses-tinged gingeriness. I didn’t really...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1291 tasting notes
  • “I actually decided to try this on an evening when I had quite a buggy belly – not sure if it was a bug or something disagreed with me at dinner, but I was feeling Read full tasting note
    whatthefoucault 257 tasting notes
  • “Lovely scent and taste. Not too ginger-y but like a nice gingerbread cookie taste. I was glad the rooibos wasn’t too woodsy and allowed the gingerbread to really shine. This tea tasted good...” Read full tasting note
    carol-who 439 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from the kind Naylynn. Thank you! Helloooooo, ginger! This chai is missing the "bread" part of gingerbread, but it has the ginger part down pat. The heat...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 1041 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Award-winning, spiced gingerbread chai tea.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Sipdown! This will be very sadly missed, at least by me. The flavour of gingerbread was absolutely spot on here — sweet, crumbly, slightly molasses-tinged gingeriness. I didn’t really think “chai” while I was drinking it, but then I didn’t need to. I had a piece of freshly baked gingerbread to drink!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
Dustin

Missed? Is it not being sold anymore or are you just referring to your sipdown?

Scheherazade

Both. It’s gone from my cupboard, and it was a Christmas tea.

I actually decided to try this on an evening when I had quite a buggy belly – not sure if it was a bug or something disagreed with me at dinner, but I was feeling FIERCELY unwell. It was like an alien was trying to claw its way out of my tum tum. Awful.

Thus, functioning on the premise that, of course, ginger calms a tumultuous tum, I decided to brew up a cup of this for my evening drink.

It has the bonus of being caffeine-free, which I’m sure was the right decision, all things considered. I’m always a teensy bit weary of rooibos teas as I have to be in a very specific mood to fancy anything that tastes mostly like rooibos. As this is a spiced tea, though, I expected it would likely sit quietly in the background and let the gingerbread shine. And I was right, hooray! It’s got all the warmth and comfort of a lovely gingerbread, and the rooibos is present but quietly so. This is most certainly the nicest gingerbread-flavoured hot drink I’ve had the pleasure of drinking. Well done, Bluebirds!

Shae

I hope you’re feeling better! That sounds rough . . .

Lovely scent and taste. Not too ginger-y but like a nice gingerbread cookie taste. I was glad the rooibos wasn’t too woodsy and allowed the gingerbread to really shine. This tea tasted good even after I poured the cup and left it in the kitchen for 2 hours. I drank it room temperature and it was fine. Sometimes rooibos teas can get too strong when they sit too long but this was good. I drank the next one hot and it was even more satisfying. The tea wasn’t very chai but that was really no problem for me.

Thanks NayLynn and Brandon for this tea.

Another sample from the kind Naylynn. Thank you!

Helloooooo, ginger! This chai is missing the “bread” part of gingerbread, but it has the ginger part down pat. The heat settles in the back of my throat which is nice. There is also a woody note from the rooibos, and I must admit that I like it with the spice. The combination is earthy and comforting.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Wow, this is not my thing. I like the idea but the red rooibos kills it for me. it has that medicinal cough syrup taste all over the base. Also, while this is super gingery, it is too fruity to be a chai I like. Thanks for letting me try it, NayLynn!

So, the gingerbread + Chai seriously makes for a very gingery tea. I mainly just taste ginger. I accidently oversteeped this one the first time and it tasted like coca cola. xD Wow. You really gotta be careful with these teas-haha! :P
But yeah, too much ginger for me personally.
Thanks for the sample, NayLynn!

Flavors: Ginger

This tea smells delicious. Not exactly like gingerbread cookies, but sweeter. It smells like ginger and vanilla and really sweet. (I dropped the bag and spilled some…) Before I forget, I want to thank Naylynn for this sample.

I ended up letting it steep too long. I guess 7 minutes isn’t too bad for a chai tea, though… It still smells just as sweet. I want to try it first without anything added, but I might add stevia after. I still haven’t figured out the best milk:tea ratio, so I don’t thing I’ll add it this time.

The tea is mild, but in a good way. Rooibos can have an odd aftertaste that I can’t quite describe, but this is very mellow. I prefer a ginger tea to punch me in the face. This is more like a gentle breeze. It tastes good sweetened. It’s pleasant and would be great for dessert cravings and for drinking tea late at night.

I only brewed this tea at 195ºF, but it doesn’t get bitter from oversteeping, I’ll need to consider buying this if I want some sweeter teas.

195 °F / 90 °C 1 tsp

Smells: like gingerbread

Tastes: mostly like rooibos, but little hint of warming ginger and chai spices.

Great warming tea for a cold autumn evening.

Flavors: Ginger, Rooibos