Gingerbread Chai

Chai Tea
Ginger, Rooibos
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 368 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1635 tasting notes
  • “This was a free sample with the Bluebird order, in a pyramid teabag. This was one I didn’t manage to try yet, so here goes. The scent is super spicy! There are notes of frosting in both...” Read full tasting note
    tea-sipper 2068 tasting notes
  • “I actually decided to try this on an evening when I had quite a buggy belly – not sure if it was a bug or something disagreed with me at dinner, but I was feeling Read full tasting note
    whatthefoucault 312 tasting notes
  • “Lovely scent and taste. Not too ginger-y but like a nice gingerbread cookie taste. I was glad the rooibos wasn’t too woodsy and allowed the gingerbread to really shine. This tea tasted good...” Read full tasting note
    carol-who 463 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Award-winning, spiced gingerbread chai tea.
We have our Nordic neighbours to thank for the tradition of Christmas gingerbread. Every year the town of Bergen, Norway still build a lifesize gingerbread city to celebrate Christmas. What a nightmare for poor old Hansel and Gretel! Let’s hope they are keeping a low profile and enjoying a steaming cup of our Gingerbread Chai instead!
Ingredients: rooibos, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, mallow flowers.
Warning: May contain traces of nuts

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Finished off my old tin of this last night, which means…which means…that I only have a free sample sachet of this one left (from my latest order, I hasten to add) before this becomes a sipdown! It seems odd to be pleased about that, because I do love this tea. It’s the best gingerbread tea I’ve tried, with a good kick of spice and delicious “Jamaica ginger cake-esque” cake flavour. A real treat. I think the novelty has worn off for the moment, though, and I could do with a rest from this one. As it’s now nearly summer (sort of, anyway), I guess that makes sense! Hopefully I’ll come back to this one refreshed at the end of the year, but for now it’s almost goodbye.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

2068 tasting notes

This was a free sample with the Bluebird order, in a pyramid teabag. This was one I didn’t manage to try yet, so here goes. The scent is super spicy! There are notes of frosting in both the fragrance and flavor, I swear… a frosting you might see on a gingerbread cookie. I’m beginning to see some sort of sweet note in a tea blend whenever there are mallow blossoms, so that is my theory. The flavor is very spicy, just like a gingerbread cookie (almost too flavorful — I definitely wouldn’t steep more than one teaspoon at a time!) It’s such a satisfying late cold night cup. Spicy with a hint of sweetness. And I’m not a ginger fan AT ALL. The second steep is slightly less spicy than the first cup, though still very spicy, with more of that cookie icing peeking through! I’m surprised by this blend and how much I like it, though I really shouldn’t be. This is a Bluebird blend. And they are awesome. I coulda, shoulda bought some of this one! But that probably applies to all of the Bluebird blends.
Steep #1 // couple minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4-5 minute steep

I actually decided to try this on an evening when I had quite a buggy belly – not sure if it was a bug or something disagreed with me at dinner, but I was feeling FIERCELY unwell. It was like an alien was trying to claw its way out of my tum tum. Awful.

Thus, functioning on the premise that, of course, ginger calms a tumultuous tum, I decided to brew up a cup of this for my evening drink.

It has the bonus of being caffeine-free, which I’m sure was the right decision, all things considered. I’m always a teensy bit weary of rooibos teas as I have to be in a very specific mood to fancy anything that tastes mostly like rooibos. As this is a spiced tea, though, I expected it would likely sit quietly in the background and let the gingerbread shine. And I was right, hooray! It’s got all the warmth and comfort of a lovely gingerbread, and the rooibos is present but quietly so. This is most certainly the nicest gingerbread-flavoured hot drink I’ve had the pleasure of drinking. Well done, Bluebirds!

Shae

I hope you’re feeling better! That sounds rough . . .

Lovely scent and taste. Not too ginger-y but like a nice gingerbread cookie taste. I was glad the rooibos wasn’t too woodsy and allowed the gingerbread to really shine. This tea tasted good even after I poured the cup and left it in the kitchen for 2 hours. I drank it room temperature and it was fine. Sometimes rooibos teas can get too strong when they sit too long but this was good. I drank the next one hot and it was even more satisfying. The tea wasn’t very chai but that was really no problem for me.

Thanks NayLynn and Brandon for this tea.

Another sample from the kind Naylynn. Thank you!

Helloooooo, ginger! This chai is missing the “bread” part of gingerbread, but it has the ginger part down pat. The heat settles in the back of my throat which is nice. There is also a woody note from the rooibos, and I must admit that I like it with the spice. The combination is earthy and comforting.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Wow, this is not my thing. I like the idea but the red rooibos kills it for me. it has that medicinal cough syrup taste all over the base. Also, while this is super gingery, it is too fruity to be a chai I like. Thanks for letting me try it, NayLynn!

So, the gingerbread + Chai seriously makes for a very gingery tea. I mainly just taste ginger. I accidently oversteeped this one the first time and it tasted like coca cola. xD Wow. You really gotta be careful with these teas-haha! :P
But yeah, too much ginger for me personally.
Thanks for the sample, NayLynn!

Flavors: Ginger

This tea smells delicious. Not exactly like gingerbread cookies, but sweeter. It smells like ginger and vanilla and really sweet. (I dropped the bag and spilled some…) Before I forget, I want to thank Naylynn for this sample.

I ended up letting it steep too long. I guess 7 minutes isn’t too bad for a chai tea, though… It still smells just as sweet. I want to try it first without anything added, but I might add stevia after. I still haven’t figured out the best milk:tea ratio, so I don’t thing I’ll add it this time.

The tea is mild, but in a good way. Rooibos can have an odd aftertaste that I can’t quite describe, but this is very mellow. I prefer a ginger tea to punch me in the face. This is more like a gentle breeze. It tastes good sweetened. It’s pleasant and would be great for dessert cravings and for drinking tea late at night.

I only brewed this tea at 195ºF, but it doesn’t get bitter from oversteeping, I’ll need to consider buying this if I want some sweeter teas.

195 °F / 90 °C 1 tsp

Smells: like gingerbread

Tastes: mostly like rooibos, but little hint of warming ginger and chai spices.

Great warming tea for a cold autumn evening.

Flavors: Ginger, Rooibos