Mowgli's Fire Chai

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Rooibos, Dried apple, Hibiscus, Rosehip, Ginger, Cinnamon, Dried Coconut, Pineapple pieces, Coconut flakes, Chili, Natural Flavour.

Mowgli has been foraging in the Indian jungle to find tropical mango, pineapple + coconut to add to our unusual, but oh so good, blend of juicey fruit + kicking spice! A dash of firey chili should be enough to keep Shere Khan the tiger at bay!

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

The last tea from my monthly club package.

This blend smells strongly of coconut and pineapple with a hint of spice. Like a fruity yet sour chai, strange but in a good way.

My first sip had strong coconut and pineapple flavours which matched it’s scent but in the after taste there was a strong burning sensation and dryness. Basically when it says fire it means it. It’s not too strong and thankfully it quickly subsides but it is certainly one of the spiciest Chai’s I have tried.

The more I drink the more I’m getting into it. The pineapple has increased in strength to create a spicy cinnamon and chilli pineapple medley in my mouth. Also the coconut is becoming a little creamier now it’s cooling. Yummy.

Brewed on the stove top. Added 2% milk to the second boiling round. No sugar.

As the leaf simmered, the house was filled with a deliciously fruit-filled rooibos aroma. Considering that almost half of the ingredients are fruits – apple, hibiscus, rosehip, pineapple – it’s not surprising. My mother thought I was burning a scented candle, ha ha.

The spice mix consists of ginger, cinnamon, and chili. That last one. Holy frickin’ cow! It’s incredibly strong. This is one of the most peppery spiced teas I’ve ever had, alongside Old 52Tea’s Spiced Chai. Even my throat felt spicy.

On the plus side, good on this blend for nice aroma and spice strength. However, the chili overpowers everything else. Coconut? Shrug. Not in even in the aroma. Too many fruits. Additionally, there are “natural flavors.” Is there a point? The are enough powerful ingredients as it is.

Give or take. You may want to try it or not.

Herbal TTB

I’ve heard great things about Bluebird Tea, so I was curious to sample this chai from the herbal TTB. I didn’t read the description ahead of time, so this tea caught me completely off-guard! It’s not at all the sort of thing I think of when I hear the word “chai”…you don’t really taste cinnamon, cardamon, or cloves in the blend. Instead, it has a juicy pineapple flavor with a touch of creamy coconut…followed by an unexpected wave of spicy chili in the aftertaste! Personally, I’m not a fan of drinks (or foods!) that leave my tongue tingling, so I probably won’t drink this again. But I’m glad I had the experience of trying it once!

Flavors: Coconut, Pineapple, Spicy

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’m still not completely over my cold, so I’m limiting the “good” tea I drink because I know I just can’t taste it right now. I made an exception for this one, though, because I have a large bag, and because it sounds perfectly suited to a sore throat. Chili!

I used 1.5 tsp of leaf, because it’s quite chunky. The dry mix smells strongly of tropical fruit — all coconut and pineapple. I left it for the recommended 4 minutes in boiling water, and returned to a medium red-brown liquor.

First sip, and it’s the fruit that comes out most clearly. I can taste pineapple first, then a creamy coconut. It’s fairly fleeting, though, and after that initial hit, I can taste mostly tart/sour hibiscus. Fruity, though, in a chutney sort of way. The chili develops primarily in the aftertaste, and it does have a bit of a burn to it. It nice and warming in the mouth and throat, as perfect as I’d hoped for a lingering cold! With every fresh sip, the sweetness of the initial fruit returns, the natural sweetness augmented by the sour hibi/spicy chili elements that have gone before.

This is a pretty perfect tea for this time of year. Warming, yet with a reminder of summer still lingering in the taste of the tropical fruit. I’ve had a few bad experiences with chili chai blends, but this is fortunately one of the ones that’s “just right”. Yum!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Additional notes: Another sipdown. So many sipdowns of good teas lately… including many Bluebird samples. I wish I could buy so so many of their teas, including this one. I love it. It reminds me of a spicy fruity chutney… but I’ve never had chutney. But I love the idea of chutney. The Butiki Pumpkin milkshake sample I finished today was better than I remembered too.

I love it when my tastebuds are having a great day, and everything tastes better than I remember! Happens infrequently, but sooooo lovely when it does :)

I guess I didn’t see it that way. I just thought I steeped the teas better. :D