Peppermint Cream

Herbal Oolong Blend
Cocoa, Creamy, Metallic, Musty, Peppermint, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by Scheherazade

2 Images

• “Drank another of these this evening. I'm still not overwhelmed, although the flavour appealed to me a little more than it did last time. Maybe because I have a cold? I've been drinking a lot of...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1088 tasting notes
  • “Wowsers....this is super pepperminty with a gentle touch of vanilla resembling Twinings - Butter Mint. It looks like mostly finely chopped peppermint leaf (with some dust) and some small to medium...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1155 tasting notes
  • “KittyLovesTea sent me a lovely package of teas... mostly Bluebird samples to try because I want that to be the ONE company I order from one time in 2014. (Yeah right.) I'd like to know what I like...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1525 tasting notes
  • “Another one from Bluebird! This was one that I didn't necessarily pick out, but ended up splitting with someone else who wanted it (I got 10g). I have been liking mint teas more and more lately...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Velvety milk Oolong tea, smooth cocoa + sweet peppermint.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

Drank another of these this evening. I’m still not overwhelmed, although the flavour appealed to me a little more than it did last time. Maybe because I have a cold? I’ve been drinking a lot of minty teas recently, in an effort to try and soothe my throat. Don’t ask me why mint — it just seems to work.

Anyway, I noticed today that there’s actually very little oolong in here. There’s the odd bit here and there, but it’s mostly mint leaves. There is a distinctive creaminess in the flavour, though, which combines with the mint to replicate a candy-like flavour fairly well. As it cools, it becomes fairly dead-on peppermint cream, so I’m not sure why I haven’t liked it all that much before. As flavours go, it’s pretty accurate, and I like that in a tea. I’ve increased the rating a little to reflect this. I’d still like to have been able to taste the milk oolong, though. It gets pretty lost here.

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

Wowsers….this is super pepperminty with a gentle touch of vanilla resembling Twinings – Butter Mint. It looks like mostly finely chopped peppermint leaf (with some dust) and some small to medium sized Oolong balls amidst it.

The flavour is very mild considering it’s strong scent. In my first few sips it took a few seconds before any flavour came through and when it did I feel the strongest was the cocoa. It’s sweet but also creamy and very light. I wish the peppermint was stronger.

This blend is too mild, I may try and double the dose or the steep time for my next cup. So far this one is disappointing.

KittyLovesTea sent me a lovely package of teas… mostly Bluebird samples to try because I want that to be the ONE company I order from one time in 2014. (Yeah right.) I’d like to know what I like from Bluebird first! thanks so much!!

I wanted to try Bluebird’s Christmas Cake for Christmas day but a headache means I should have a mint tea. Well, this was a mint tea from Bluebird so I went with it. A second oolong blend in a row! I don’t try many of those. This is supposed to be at 194 degrees so the water was cooled for a minutes. This one is a bit odd tasting at the first sip. It tastes a bit like catnip smells (which is probably since catnip is a mint anyway). And the oolong is very vegetal…I’m surprised it’s a milk oolong. The hints of chocolate aren’t very creamy. Not bad, but it’s odd! The second steep tasted more like I thought it should. Not my favorite from Bluebird, but I’d love to try their amazing blends either way.

JustJames

hope the headache follows the rules and backs off!

Tea Sipper

thanks! I think the headache is leaving, and I swear it is always the peppermint.

Another one from Bluebird! This was one that I didn’t necessarily pick out, but ended up splitting with someone else who wanted it (I got 10g). I have been liking mint teas more and more lately though, so I’m glad I ended up with a sample. This is another blend that has barely any tea in it. There are only a few pellets of oolong mixed with a lot of crushed peppermint and cacao shell. Dry scent is pepperminty with sweet and creamy notes, and I can smell a touch of cocoa. Recommended steep was 3 minutes, but I went for 4 since there’s so little oolong anyway.

Hmm… At the beginning of the sip, the first thing I taste is roasty cacao. It quickly gives way to strong peppermint, and it has an unfortunate mineral/sour/musty note to it that makes me sad. Not sure if that would be improved by a shorter steep or not, but I’ll definitely try the recommended steep next time. I don’t taste the oolong at all, which is what I expect given the scarcity of the pellets. It does, however, take on the thick texture of a green oolong, and there’s a touch of creaminess. I would be very happy with this tea if it weren’t for the weird wet rag peppermint taste. :( Withholding rating until I try it again.

Flavors: Cocoa, Creamy, Metallic, Musty, Peppermint, Thick

It’s Thursday, and in spite of my having errands to run and possibly meeting a former colleague in the city to stuff around and take photos, I’m currently trapped in the house, because the washing machine is taking bloody AGES and I want to get my sheets out of there as soon as it’s done so they don’t go all wrinkly. I normally wouldn’t be bothered, but as much as he insists it doesn’t matter, I was raised to keep a tidy home when company’s coming over, and my gentleman’s up from Oxford this weekend. I miss him when he’s down south. Why is everything so actually quite near to everything else but annoyingly awkward and expensive to get to in this country?

But I digress. While the hideously inefficient washer/dryer chugs along in the kitchen, I’m filling in futile applications for jobs they’ll never give me at the BBC and sampling a cup of peppermint cream. I was intrigued by the fact that this is an oolong blend, though as far as flavour goes, I’m really mostly getting peppermint. Maybe the oolong is there to provide a bit of texture rather than flavour? Or maybe I need to muck about with brewing times to get more of an oolong-ness out of it. Regardless, it’s still a lovely brew, and good at every temperature (as I did rather take bloody ages to drink the whole thing and it was as cold as my unheated winter apartment by the time I was finished) though interestingly, I think I liked it best when it was just warm. Not hot, not tepid, just warm. That’s the best place for it. And with milk. I like a mint that pairs well with milk. It’s super-cozy and comforting, but less dangerous than hoovering an entire thing of After Eights like I was tempted to do when one of my new headshots was emailed to me yesterday and I had a major wibble at the thought that THAT’S what I look like to other people, I’m fatter than I thought I was, and I hate my face.

(I’ve been assured that the photo in question doesn’t do me justice, but it’s still tempting to spend tonight crying into a giant-ass bowl of macaroni and cheese)

keychange

I don’t know what to ell you about your questions or your face, but ode syour gentleman have a British accent? and is he, like, all British and stuff? how cute. My fiancé is British (no accent though) but the mannerisms are very very cute indeed. And I hear you on feeling fat and ugly and jobless and all that sort of thing. It’s rarely as bad as it feels, but I know the feeling and it sucks. Drink lots and lots of tea!

Sami Kelsh

Gentleman is indeed British, born and raised. His accent’s novel to me because I moved Oop North when I came here, and he sounds like a posh Southerner. Aren’t they lovely? (And people here tell me that OUR accent is lovely – which is news to me, as I always thought Canadian sounded quite boring!)

As for the feelings, yeah. But tea is the solution to pretty much all of life’s problems, isn’t it?

__Morgana__

Is this a new gentleman? I remember hearing about a break up before you left for California.

Sami Kelsh

New gentleman. Was dumped the Wednesday night, flew to LA, had a fling from Friday to Sunday (still friends, thank Gosh – oh, what a charming gent he is. Perfect teeth. Like FLAWLESS. I’ve never paid that much attention to teeth before, but his are perfect!) flew home, went to dinner with a friend Tuesday night, and by the end of the night we were an item, and it’s been almost 3 weeks and we’re annoyingly schmaltzy together. GOOD GOSH my personal life can’t just be straightforward like normal people, can it?

Sometimes I wish I could change my facebook status to “in a relationship with tea” and be done with it.

__Morgana__

LOL Well, that sounds like much fun. He’s a lucky gentleman.

Sami Kelsh

Yeah, he’s a keeper, all right. I’ll try not to nauseate everyone here by getting too schmoopy about it, though!

My profile says, ‘No peppermint.’ so obviously it’s time to give peppermint another chance. It’s 2014! The year of tea bravery! Besides, I would really like to learn to enjoy minty teas.

In the bag, this smells very fresh and light; it’s all crisp, cool peppermint. In the cup, the scent seems much thicker, a little dirty – a gritty mint. The earth tone reminds me of gardening; a few years ago they sold me peppermint plants instead of regular mint by mistake and I didn’t notice until they started growing bigger (they were very small from the start) and I had to dig them up and banish them to a less coveted spot. (Don’t look at me like that. Think of the poor orphaned mojitos. Priorities, people!) This is exactly that – garden soil and crushed peppermint leaf.

Steeped, it’s… fair. It’s not the most aggressively evil peppermint I’ve tasted, but it’s not super mild. It doesn’t leave that minty coolness mouthfeel I have such a hard time with, and it’s consistent throughout the sip, taste wise. Unoffensive, fresh, clean and a little earthy.

That much said, I have not been converted – peppermint teas might just not be for me. Overall, I feel mint should be served in very small amounts, preferably inside some form of chocolate casing.

It was good to try, though, and definitely nice to add Bluebird to the list of tea companies I have tried. I’d never heard of them, but will consider placing an order with them after this – their website is great, the packaging pretty, they ship fairly cheaply within Europe, and they blended a peppermint tea I could actually finish a whole cup of. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks, KittyLovesTea for adding this to the box!

[Sample from the second round of the EU Travelling Box, spring 2014.]

cteresa

I have a problem with peppermint and boiling water. When peppermint (or any mint, actually, because a lot of mint on teas is another kind of mint) hits very hot water it goes bitter and weirdly spinachy to me.

My trick is to not brew teas with mint very hot. It works very well for green teas with mint (I am currently addicted to Casablanca), but it can baffling. I have a bit of Mariage Freres Rouge Sahara, which smells heavenly, good rooibos, roses and mint, and I loathed it till I learned the trick – cold brewing overnight. It went from loathe to crazy in love – though for me of course that is a summer tea!

Anna

That’s really interesting! I’ll pick up a sample of Rouge Sahara next time I’m at the MF shop. Definitely worth a try.