Christmas Cake

Almond, Ceylon Black Tea, Cinnamon, Cloves, Orange Peel, Vanilla Pieces
Bitter, Citrus, Pine, Spices, Tea, Vanilla, Creamy, Almond, Cake, Clove, Orange, Sweet
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by TastetheTea

2 Images

From Bluebird Tea Co.

Our fave Christmas brew is back, combining our three favourite things: tea, cake and Christmas!

Holding its own for the title of best Christmas tea of all time, this blend tastes like cake, contains real life actual Christmas tree (spruce needles!) and, as if that wasn’t enough, it has little candy snowflakes. Still not impressed? Well brew it up and watch it glitter like icicles!

Ceylon black tea, vanilla pieces, almond pieces, cinnamon, cloves, orange peel, spruce needles, snowflake sprinkles, flavour.

To brew the perfect cup: 1 heaped teaspoon per cup, 100° water, 4 mins, with or without milk.

About Bluebird Tea Co. View company

100% spice cake, maybe with a hint of dried fruit in there, the kind that goes with those uber-heavy Christmas cakes. It’s a bit surprising how accurate the flavoring is, down to the breadiness of the taste (although missing in the mouthfeel). While spice cake has always been something I’ve kinda avoided, this does remind me of a spiced ginger cake my Mom would whip up at Christmas, saying it was a Dutch delicacy that we had to try. Yep, it’s pretty bang-on for that.

Thank you KittyLovesTea for this perfect 2-cup sample!

JustJames

i am one of those whackos that loves xmas cake….. this is going MY list!!!!

MissB

Oh, I’ll send you the cup or so I have left! It’s already off their website, sadly, until next year (maybe?)

JustJames

how do i consistently set myself up for this? no no, you gave this 100. you finish it. enjoy. you are just as sleep deprived as i am. it’s a lovely thought though.

MissB

I gave it 100? No, I gave it a 79. It’s easy enough to put it in an envelope for next time – and you know as well as I do, I have too much tea! :P

JustJames

oh…. i really need sleep. i saw the 100% fruit cake. geez…..

Anna

…you mean spice cake. JJ, GET SOME SLEEP!

Suziqzer

It’s alright JJ.. I saw fruitcake too (& I’m not a fan). I think maybe because she said spice cake with a hint of fruit… My mind turned that to fruitcake. :)

Well, I’m still alive. I was so sick over Christmas, with proper fully-signed-up flu. I had 10 days off work, which I’d been looking forward to all year, and I spent most of them either in bed or staggering around the house like a zombie looking for tissues and more medicine. I think I only drank one “proper” tea – this, which I took with me in my timolino on the one day I did feel well enough to venture out. It was a very sorry state of affairs. Now I’m back at work (of course I’d be well enough in time, because that’s how it works), not feeling very rested, but at least I can make up for some lost time in tea terms.

I started the morning with another cup of this one. My pouch is actually from the year before last (2014), but it hadn’t been opened before December this year so it was still fine. I’m really enjoying this one as a Christmas Cake tea. It’s got strong dried fruit flavours, a touch of nutmeg spiciness, and a good dose of vanilla to sweeten things up and add a deliciously creamy overtone. I adore the snowflake sprinkles even though they stick fast to the bottom of my infuser, and the glitter adds a little festive sparkle too. The pine needles are an inspired touch – this really is the best of Christmas in a cup. All the better for those of us who feel like they didn’t really have a Christmas this year, I guess! Maybe next year.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
teaqueen

I’m glad you’re feeling better. The flu is the worst and its timing is always impeccable… for messing up fun plans.

Christina / BooksandTea

That sounds awful. I’m glad that you’re on the mend. (Impeccable timing regarding your holiday, huh?)

tigress_al

Glad you are feeling better!

__Morgana__

Glad you’re better!

I just HAD to try this one today anyway, for Christmas! The Bluebird minty tea today made my headache disappear! thanks so much for both of them, KittyLovesTea! :D

The ingredients sounded so lovely, yet so weird…. and there is GLITTER. I’m not sure it is edible, but I’m going to ignore that! haha. But pine needles! Almonds and vanilla too! One and a half teaspoons of this was steeped right after boiling for three minutes. There was some glitter floating around in the mug! I don’t love Bluebird’s Ceylon base but the ingredients here together are so delicious. It does taste like cake a bit. It must be the almonds, vanilla and the sugary sweetness from the snowflake sprinkles (and apparently stevia, though it doesn’t taste like stevia). Unfortunately, there isn’t any flavor from the pine needles, which I was looking forward to even though it wouldn’t seem very cake like. The cinnamon is strong and spicy! Hints of orange. I really love this blend. i’d definitely order it, especially if the black tea base was different.

ETA: (I just realized this might sound like ‘Estimated time of arrival’ but I mean ‘Edited to add’!) I just steeped a second cup of this with standing-there-for-the-water-to-finish-boiling type of steeping. It steeped for four minutes and the taste is VERY cinnamon now! Not as much as Harney’s sunset though. So so good. I kind of wish Bluebird could change this so it wasn’t a seasonal tea and they could sell it all year long.

A creamy smell enhanced by the vanilla, is lightly transferred into the taste, giving the blend a faint sweetness. There’s also faint hints of pepper, citric spices and pine, but the predominant note is a bitter tang of tea. All the points of originality for the spruce needles. Less points for the actual flavour.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Pine, Spices, Tea, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, Steepsterites! I hope your day is full of warm spice, comfort sweets, and citrus zing like this particular tea, regardless of whether you celebrate or not!

tea-sipper

Sipping Bluebird’s Mocha Chai right now. :D

__Morgana__

Same to you, CK!

Sometimes you feel yourself sinking into the earth and no amount of effort can free you.
That is just how it is in life. Nothing can be done to change it. Alas. Sorry for my absence.

I had this within the last 2 months. Apologies if my memory of it is not the sharpest. I know that I really enjoyed it. I know it had a beautiful creamy flavour. It really brought Christmas to my mind and I was sorrowed to only have one cup worth of this delight. Someday I will be able to order this and more from Bluebird, but it will not be anytime soon. If you have access to it though I definitely recommend it for you.

Flavors: Creamy

1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

FUN FACT: My mother, bless her radiant heart, makes the very best Christmas cake in the whole world.

(Yeah, I know, everybody thinks their mum makes the best Christmas cake, but by Gosh, I mean it.)

It’s warm with spice, dotted heavily with dried fruits and citrus peel, and topped not with heavy icing, but thin slices of almond. A festival of textures and flavours sitting together in perfect harmony.

Just like this tea, in that respect. I was expecting something really quite full-on with cloves and evergreen (there’s spruce needles among the leaves, how cool is that!) but it’s really quite balanced: an undercurrent of dried fruit is elevated with warm clove and softly buzzing cinnamon, enveloped in soft, cakelike notes of caramel and almond. What a jolly comforting brew for a drizzly evening. I’m so glad to have the chance to try it. Thanks, Bluebirds!

Wow. This tea is pretty fantastic. It tastes like a holiday spice cake that isn’t overwhelming with the spice. You can definitely taste all the different ingredients and they mingle so very well together. I’m drinking this iced now since I didn’t hear my Brevile beep for me to get my next cuppa. Can’t wait to try this one hot. I’m not a huge fan of spiced teas but this one . I could drink any day.

A special tea for my birthday today!

I was a little nervous to be trying this tea only because it has spruce needles in it and it smells like Christmas potpourri… definitely something you wouldn’t want to drink. I love the little snowflake sprinkles, though. They add such a nice touch! Once the tea has steeped, it smells sweeter, softer and mostly like orange peel.

Sipping… I first taste a very sweet almond flavor that reminds me of.. surprise… cake! The finish is where the orange peel comes out. It’s not an orange flavor, but really the bitter orange peel. I don’t taste much of the spruce needles, but perhaps they are lending something to the cup that I am not aware of.

I’m very glad to have tried this tea and it will be a nice companion this December. It’s certainly a very festive blend! I don’t know if I love it enough to repurchase, but I’ll enjoy it this year.

Nightshifter

Happy Birthday!!!

Anlina

Happy birthday!

QueenOfTarts

Thank you so much, everyone! :) You’re so nice!

Yay, I got my portion of the Bluebird group order! Thanks again to QueenOfTarts for organizing the whole thing. I ended up with ten different teas, which sounds like a lot, but the sizes range from 10 to 35 grams so it’s actually not a ton of tea. I’m feeling very pleased with my purchases for the price I paid! All of my lovely new teas are now safe and secure in various small tins that I had sitting empty.

I couldn’t decide which tea I was most excited for, but I ended up choosing this one (partially because of the cute snowflake sprinkles!). I must say, you can tell that all of these teas are blended in-house, mostly because of the range of ingredients included. For instance, this one has large pieces of dried orange peel and cloves, which are more expected, but then it also has a smattering of pine needles! Dry scent is a sweet combination of almond extract, orange, and clove.

Ooh the steeped tea smells fantastic – very sweet and cakey. And it tastes delicious, too! Definitely very cakey with strong almond flavor, a light kiss of orange, and a nice warming undertone of clove. I didn’t even realize there’s stevia in this tea, as you can’t taste it really. There’s a very slight sweet aftertaste if you sit there and think about it, similar to a very mild licorice root. I love it! Very happy to have picked up 35 grams.

Flavors: Almond, Cake, Clove, Orange, Sweet

TeaNecromancer

Teas with sprinkles just make me so happy

Cameron B.

I know, right? It’s so cheerful. I felt the same way when I opened my pouch of Santa’s Secret, it just put a smile on my face instantly. :D

tea-sipper

So glad you like this one too! I can’t wait to get my Bluebird order… should be here on Wednesday! :D