2007 Boyou Grade 7 Pu-erh Tea Brick 250g

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar

From Boyou Tea Factory (puerh shop)

The insider knows that Boyou Tea Factory makes some pretty good ripe Pu-erh teas, on par with the best of Dayi (Menghai Tea Factory). The truth is that the former fermentation master at Menghai Tea Factory was hired by Boyou who got the know-how and the skills to produce some of the best ripe Pu-erh teas.

The grade 7 tea leaves are not necessarily bad, the matter of the fact is that the grade 7 tea leaves are better suited for a quality ripe tea as they bring a lots of richness and sweetness to the table.

Prepare to be impressed by a quality ripe tea that rivals the most offerings (including Dayi) at the marketplace.

Pu-erh Tea Brick 250g
Vintage: fermented 2007, compressed 2009
Premium class
Loose tea leaves
Caffeine: Moderate

About Boyou Tea Factory (puerh shop) View company

7.8 g / 130 ml / 212 F
20 second wash / 90 second pause

Steep 1 – 15 sec: Translucent red-ish liquid. Aroma of mushrooms growing in damp earth. Light flavor – has not blossomed yet.

Steep 2 – 15 sec: Dark coffee-like liquid. Prominent mushroom aroma. Taste is mineral and dirt (not great). Dirt faded a little as the cup cooled. I’m hoping this gets better.

Steep 3 – 15 sec: Dark coffee-like liquid. Peat aroma. Flavors more integrated and hard for my untrained palete to pick out. Dirt is gone (yay!). Leaves a dry feeling on the tongue, which is interesting.

Steep 4 – 20 sec: Semi-translucent dark red liquid. Faint wet earth aroma. I found myself sipping this without paying much attention to it since nothing really stood out, but it was enjoyable.

Steep 5 – 25 sec: Translucent dark red liquid. Mellow damp earth and mineral aroma. Tastes a bit like a Keemun at this stage.

Steep 6 – 30 sec: Translucent medium-dark red liquid. Aroma of wet moss on rocks. light black tea flavor. This seems to be nearing the end.

Steep 7 – 60 sec: Clear dark red liquid. Very faint aroma; can’t quite place it (mineral?). Flavor is mellow but surprisingly fruity and sweet when hot, fading out as it cooled.

Steep 8 – 180 sec: A hail-mary to see if anything is left. Clear medium red color. Faint aroma I can’t quite place. Faint earthy flavor. It’s pretty weak at this point.

This tea was never cloudy and never astringent. Very low caffeine and only moderate energy, good for an evening Pu-Erh; I’m slightly uplifted but not buzzed. This strikes me as a decent, affordable tea to drink while working late. Enjoyable except for steep 2 … will see if that repeats in the future or if it was a fluke.

This Shu has an almost moist pliability to it. It starts out a little musty, with a peatmoss type personality. After a few steeps, that mellowed out, & it’s an ok tea, but doesn’t really have that much personality, if that makes sense to anyone out there. It also didn’t really hold out for long on resteeps.

Regardless of my lame comments, I’m grateful for the opportunity to give it a try, thanks to Tea Explorer, & I have enough to drink it one more time. Who knows, maybe my tastebuds are just lame today, right?

TeaExplorer

“Who knows, maybe my tastebuds are just lame today, right?” Maybe not. Some people seem to like this tea, but to me it seems rather one-dimensional. I’ve been assuming that’s just an artifact of my palate, but it sounds like you had a similar experience.

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, I feel like the one I drank yesterday (the tibetan flame) carried more interest. But still, always good to try all the teas! :)

gmathis

Good to see tea notes floating from your direction—nasty weather come near you?

Terri HarpLady

oh…you know the weather people just took over the 2nd half of the Big Bang Theory to blather on about potential tornadoes, & then they returned to foam at the mouth over the so called tornado that was floating over us, giving a blow by blow report as if they were announcers at a Cardinals baseball game. There was no actual damage, other than a tree down. I get a little (ok, more than a little) irritated over their drama, & from what I can tell, it’s just another typical spring storm.

Terri HarpLady

Any minute now they will probably interrupt Elementary…

gmathis

‘Fraid the media is not really doing us a favor with early warnings other than to cause us to panic unnecessarily. Down here, we don’t need prompted panic…we do it quite well on our own :)

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, the media is always (in my opinion) on the lookout for an opportunity to create a feeding frenzy of fear, to justify their existence. I avoid news broadcasts because there is very little news offered. The only time I watch TV is when I am at Tony’s house. I don’t actually own a TV, & have no need for one, but I don’t mind snuggling on the couch & watching it with him, because we have fun & humorous discussions while we’re sitting there, & laughter is always a good thing. :)