Blueberry Purple Tea

Blueberry, Creamy, Hay
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Made with a base of Purple Tea of Kenya, this mellow tea has an earthy blueberry flavor that lingers. Add a little brown crystal sugar for an intense sweet blueberry flavor.

Ingredients: Purple Tea of Kenya, Freeze Dried Blueberries (unsweetened & unsulfured), Organic Cornflowers, Natural Flavoring (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 5 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1/2 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 160 F

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This was my first time trying a purple tea. I look forward to trying more. As recommended by Butiki Teas, I tried it using different times and water temperatures. The info provided below was the first go round. I tried it at 160 degrees first and it tasted much like a lighter oolong, or perhaps a strong white. The blueberry was definitely present and pleasant, but didn’t hit you over the head. At the other extreme, i.e., boiling, this tea came across similar to a weakish black tea in color and taste. Again, the blueberry was nicely balanced. In short, I think this would be a great desert island tea because you could brew for whatever you were in the mood for and only need the one package. With that in mind, the tea stands on its own merits. It’s not a gimmick. Worth trying and enjoying.

THE PURPLE IS A LIE. It’s just normal looking tea. Sadface.

Colouring aside, this tea was good while it was still hot – tasted like blueberry muffins, nice rich flavour – but as it cooled it got decidedly bitter for me. Maybe I’ll need another cup to get a real good test, but I couldn’t even finish my first cup.

Butiki Teas

Purple tea can become very astringent at the boiling temperature. Perhaps give 160F or 180F temperature a shot.

aisling of tea

She didn’t ask me before posting this note, the tea was steeped around 170. My cup (from the same pot) didn’t get bitter at all.

Butiki Teas

aisling of tea-Ok, I see. If it is too bitter for her, then 160F at 3 minutes would probably work too or sugar would also counteract the bitterness.

De

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to try it again!

Butiki Teas

De-You’re welcome. good luck!

This is another of the samples that Stacy so generously included with our order.

The smell is impressively blueberry-y, so I was expecting a stronger flavor. I was definitely not disappointed, though, because the subtler berry flavor is just so lovely and authentic. It’s very delicious, and I wish I had a bit more for another cup.

Might have to order this one next time, to try it out a bit more.

As you can see, I’m on a Butiki kick. This one is interesting (in a good way). Since this was my first purple tea, I found the difference in color between the dry and brewed leaves interesting due to the contrast. The Blueberry flavor is just right.

Sipdown cup #2! I’m aiming for four sipdowns this morning before I go to work instead of my usual huge pot of tea. Next up is a sample of Blueberry Purple tea, my second go round at a purple tea. I can smell the blueberry as the water hits the leaves—it makes me happy. I do love blueberries, so anything with blueberries is something I’m predisposed to love.

My first go round at purple tea I wasn’t such a fan of. This is better. Much better. It has a less astringent flavor, which makes me suspect I oversteeped my pot of the purple tea I made the first time. The blueberry isn’t as prominent in the brew as it was when I poured the water. Definitely an earthiness and a woodiness to the brew that isn’t bad by the cup. I also suspect that I might like the purple tea on a cup-at-a-time basis, rather than four cups at a time, like I made it when I first got it. That probably is a good lesson in general. Perhaps new teas ought to be made just a cup at a time instead of a four pot cup at a time. Hmm, things to ponder.

Interesting. Slightly astringent. Definitely Blueberry, but subtle not in your face fake. Not sure my palate is sophisticated enough to totally understand all that is going on here. Little bit of a strange aftertaste. When it was HOT more astringent, less aftertaste, as it cools less astringent more aftertaste. Wish I had more than just a sample, so that I could try it again and try to wrap my taste buds around it.

Thanks to Shelly_Lorraine for the sample.
This tea smells so yummy that my first couple of sips I was actually a little disappointed. But I kept smelling and drinking and enjoying more and more with each sip. I actually paused the movie I was watching so that I could close my eyes and just inhale and taste without Chris Hemsworth mumbling through some other crappy movie. When I fished my cup, I IMMEDIATELY went to brew a second cup. I don’t normally sweeten my tea, but I thought it might bring out that little sumthin’ sumthin’ in the tea, so I brewed, very lightly sweetened, and…… proceeded to knock the cup over spilling everything but one little teeny tiny drop. But oh that drop was good. So good, in fact, that I contemplated licking the counter as I was sopping up the spilled tea. Instead, I settled for using many words unbecoming of a lady and I think I cried a little.

*i just came back to say that I rebrewed the leaves and YUM. I think this would be KILLER iced.

Yay another Butiki tea! :) This was one of the samples I asked for with my order. I love blueberry teas so I couldn’t resist! I must admit, I got really nervous about this one when I was reading the other tasting notes on it. It seems a lot of people had a really hard time with this tea coming out very bitter. Eep. It looks like a black tea, though the leaves are smaller and some of them are rolled up like oolong. There are a few blue flower petals and my small sample had one giant blueberry in it. The dry leaf smells like yummy blueberries and not much else, so I didn’t really know what to expect. I followed the directions on Butiki’s website for steeping.

So, I didn’t read up on purple tea at all, and for some reason I expected it to be similar to black tea, probably because the leaves are so dark. Let me tell you, I could not have been more wrong! I knew as soon as I saw the liquid that it was nothing like black tea. I took a sniff and it smelled like blueberry and not a lot else, just like the dry leaf. Not helpful, tea! :P I took a sip and it was pretty much the last thing I expected… It tastes like white tea, and a very mild white tea at that. The blueberry is definitely the star, and there’s a light hay-like flavor there too. The aftertaste reminds me of green tea though, sort of leafy or something. I find it kind of amazing that a leaf that dark can brew up so light! I was really worried about it coming out bitter, so I measured out a precise half-teaspoon instead of using the whole sample. I think I could’ve just used the whole thing to make the flavor a bit stronger. Overall, delicious and unexpected! :)

Flavors: Blueberry, Creamy, Hay

160 °F / 71 °C 5 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Method: 3/4 tsp, 160 degrees, 8 oz, 5 minutes, Forlife brew in mug strainer, Dr. Who mug

Dry Aroma: Lovely scent of blueberries

Brewing Aroma: Same as above

Flavor: The blueberry is present, which I enjoy, but the tea has a bitterness that I don’t care for. This is my 2nd try today. The first time it was not brewed correctly, and the bitterness was overwhelming. Even using the correct parameters, the bitterness is still prevalent. A little rock sugar definitely helps.

Hint: DO NOT brew this at 208 degrees. My very sweet boyfriend made tea this AM, but did not read the instructions. This is definitely a low-temp tea. Maybe I will try this as a cold brew. I generally find those to be much less bitter!

Update 6/28: Brewed 1/2 tsp exactly, 8 oz, 160 degrees, for 3 minutes. The tea did not have the bitterness from the first attempts, but it also had less blueberry flavor. I definitely prefer it this way to the prior methods, but it’s not a favorite. I’ll try 4 minutes next time.

Cameron B.

This is actually one that I was very curious about. I’d never heard of purple tea before I saw it. Sucks that you didn’t like it though. :(

Sarsonator

Yeah, I was a little bummed, especially because the reviews are so great. I didn’t check them all, but I only saw one other person mention the bitterness as I was scanning the page. I really wanted to like this. My boyfriend thought it was good. Maybe I will try it with a shorter steep!

Cameron B.

Hah, it’s funny, every time my boyfriend offers to make tea for me I’m like nah… Too many parameters. Lol.

Sarsonator

LOL. Mine is usually very good with the brewing. He makes the AM tea for us every day. He’s gotten pretty accurate. All I can think is that he didn’t read the label and thought it was a black tea, so steeped accordingly. It was definitely better when brewed according to the instructions. No idea where that bitterness is coming from at the low temp though!

Cameron B.

Yeah that is odd, especially with such a small amount of tea. Maybe try a shorter time and see how that comes out? Trial and error! For science!

Well, if it’s for science, I hardly see how I could say no. :p

Butiki Teas

I would recommend trying the tea with 1/2 a teaspoon of tea. Purple tea has a lot of anthocyanin which can be bitter very easily. If it is still too strong, try diluting it with water until the bitterness is gone.

Cameron B.

I just requested this one as a sample, so I’ll have to keep that in mind! :)

Butiki Teas

Cameron B-You might want to double check the sample size when you get it. We have a tendency to go heavy on the samples.

mrmopar

I would gong fu this to see how it progresses. I agree with Stacy purple tea very short steeps and lesser amounts to avoid the bitterness being too strong. Almost like a Lao Man’E puerh long steeps will pucker your face up. :)

Butiki Teas

Although, I do love using boiling water and steeping for 5 minutes. It gives it a very wine-like taste but I don’t think too many people would be able to handle that.

Sarsonator

I tried this with less tea and a shorter steep, and it’s better! I just think it’s hard to get the flavor I want without the bitterness. If purple teas tend to be more bitter, maybe they just aren’t my thing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Aaaaah! I didn’t read before I steeped and used water that was too hot! Luckily this tea seems to be forgiving me. It is quite smooth and there is a light blueberry taste coming through. I like that it is blueberry without the hibiscus that so many other blueberry teas pile in there. This is a nice solid tea! It isn’t as flashy as I prefer my teas, but if I was looking for something on a more mellow day, this would be a good choice.