Blueberry Purple Tea

Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

From Butiki Teas

Made with a base of Purple Tea of Kenya, this mellow tea has an earthy blueberry flavor that lingers. Add a little brown crystal sugar for an intense sweet blueberry flavor.

Ingredients: Purple Tea of Kenya, Freeze Dried Blueberries (unsweetened & unsulfured), Organic Cornflowers, Natural Flavoring (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 5 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1/2 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 160 F

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This was my first time trying a purple tea. I look forward to trying more. As recommended by Butiki Teas, I tried it using different times and water temperatures. The info provided below was the first go round. I tried it at 160 degrees first and it tasted much like a lighter oolong, or perhaps a strong white. The blueberry was definitely present and pleasant, but didn’t hit you over the head. At the other extreme, i.e., boiling, this tea came across similar to a weakish black tea in color and taste. Again, the blueberry was nicely balanced. In short, I think this would be a great desert island tea because you could brew for whatever you were in the mood for and only need the one package. With that in mind, the tea stands on its own merits. It’s not a gimmick. Worth trying and enjoying.

THE PURPLE IS A LIE. It’s just normal looking tea. Sadface.

Colouring aside, this tea was good while it was still hot – tasted like blueberry muffins, nice rich flavour – but as it cooled it got decidedly bitter for me. Maybe I’ll need another cup to get a real good test, but I couldn’t even finish my first cup.

Butiki Teas

Purple tea can become very astringent at the boiling temperature. Perhaps give 160F or 180F temperature a shot.

aisling of tea

She didn’t ask me before posting this note, the tea was steeped around 170. My cup (from the same pot) didn’t get bitter at all.

Butiki Teas

aisling of tea-Ok, I see. If it is too bitter for her, then 160F at 3 minutes would probably work too or sugar would also counteract the bitterness.

De

Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to try it again!

Butiki Teas

De-You’re welcome. good luck!

This is another of the samples that Stacy so generously included with our order.

The smell is impressively blueberry-y, so I was expecting a stronger flavor. I was definitely not disappointed, though, because the subtler berry flavor is just so lovely and authentic. It’s very delicious, and I wish I had a bit more for another cup.

Might have to order this one next time, to try it out a bit more.

As you can see, I’m on a Butiki kick. This one is interesting (in a good way). Since this was my first purple tea, I found the difference in color between the dry and brewed leaves interesting due to the contrast. The Blueberry flavor is just right.

Sipdown cup #2! I’m aiming for four sipdowns this morning before I go to work instead of my usual huge pot of tea. Next up is a sample of Blueberry Purple tea, my second go round at a purple tea. I can smell the blueberry as the water hits the leaves—it makes me happy. I do love blueberries, so anything with blueberries is something I’m predisposed to love.

My first go round at purple tea I wasn’t such a fan of. This is better. Much better. It has a less astringent flavor, which makes me suspect I oversteeped my pot of the purple tea I made the first time. The blueberry isn’t as prominent in the brew as it was when I poured the water. Definitely an earthiness and a woodiness to the brew that isn’t bad by the cup. I also suspect that I might like the purple tea on a cup-at-a-time basis, rather than four cups at a time, like I made it when I first got it. That probably is a good lesson in general. Perhaps new teas ought to be made just a cup at a time instead of a four pot cup at a time. Hmm, things to ponder.

Interesting. Slightly astringent. Definitely Blueberry, but subtle not in your face fake. Not sure my palate is sophisticated enough to totally understand all that is going on here. Little bit of a strange aftertaste. When it was HOT more astringent, less aftertaste, as it cools less astringent more aftertaste. Wish I had more than just a sample, so that I could try it again and try to wrap my taste buds around it.

Thanks to Shelly_Lorraine for the sample.
This tea smells so yummy that my first couple of sips I was actually a little disappointed. But I kept smelling and drinking and enjoying more and more with each sip. I actually paused the movie I was watching so that I could close my eyes and just inhale and taste without Chris Hemsworth mumbling through some other crappy movie. When I fished my cup, I IMMEDIATELY went to brew a second cup. I don’t normally sweeten my tea, but I thought it might bring out that little sumthin’ sumthin’ in the tea, so I brewed, very lightly sweetened, and…… proceeded to knock the cup over spilling everything but one little teeny tiny drop. But oh that drop was good. So good, in fact, that I contemplated licking the counter as I was sopping up the spilled tea. Instead, I settled for using many words unbecoming of a lady and I think I cried a little.

*i just came back to say that I rebrewed the leaves and YUM. I think this would be KILLER iced.

Thank you Fjellrev for the opportunity to try this tea. Sipping on it now, I am definitely getting blueberry however the flavor is really quite weak. I just find myself wanting MORE!! Perhaps the 1/2 tsp for 8 oz of water had something to do with the subtlety of the tea? Hmmm…

Fjellrev

Yeah I think I used at least 1 tsp per cup. :)

OwenjMayer

I had to double the recommended amount to get more of a tea and less of a flavored warm water taste.

Have had this tea a couple of times. I don’t think I’ll re-buy it again as there are so many other teas out there that I want to try, but I recommend you give this a sip if you’re curious.

I think the recommended amount, 1/2 tsp per 8oz is a bit weak, so I usually double that. Adding a sprinkle of rock sugar and dash of cream enhances the silky feel to me. Light taste of blueberry and to my mouth a slight bit of astringency.

I love this blueberry tea. It reminds me very much of a blueberry muffin. It’s a very light tea with no tartness. It also brewed to a really interesting purple color using the steeping parameters on the package.