Organic Ancient Phoenix Puerh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

From Butiki Teas

Our Organic Ancient Phoenix Puerh originates from a sustainable farm on Wuliang Mountain in China and is handpicked by the Yi tribe of Yunnan. This Shou (ripe) puerh was harvested in 2011 from organic ancient trees. The tea is pressed into cakes using only skilled hands and a unique fragrant wood. Organic Ancient Phoenix Puerh is smooth and rich with raw cocoa, oak, and sweet tobacco notes. This high quality tea can handle a substantial amount of infusions.

Recommended Brew Time: 1 minute for the first infusion. 10 seconds for each additional infusion. Adjust steep time by color of tea.
Recommended Amount: 1 piece of tea for 4oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

It’s no secret that I’m a Puerh loving woman!
There is something about Puerh that takes me to a place so far beyond myself and expands my vision. Yes it’s tea, but there is a bond with the earth that is mystical.
Ever changing and without end.

This tea was interesting to look at. Pressed into quarter sized coins and simply beautiful. It smelled promising making me remember being a child playing in the mud and making canals for small handmade wooden boats in my backyard. I chewed on sour grass.

After 1 quick wash I did a 1 minute steep in my clay gaiwan. The Puerh Coin had remained pretty solid and the liquor brownish and mild tasting. Not bad tasting, spicy like cinnamon bark and sweet. I was not overly impressed.

The second steep on would be…10 seconds!

What a color change! The liquor would never be brown again! Such a beautiful auburn color that little more red tone and it could be mistaken for a Sangiovese!
The flavor was richer and had more pepper than at first. My lips tingled…my mouth tingled with the spice and then it drifted away before hitting the back of my palate.
Later the flavor changed to a sour, french roast coffee bean taste. The tannin increased. This was not something I cared for.

By the 4th infusion a mellow comforting sensibility began still with sweet flavor and juice but astringent. There was a little earth, a little pepper.

I thought about how Puerh makes me think about the earth in so many ways. By earth I mean the ground itself! How the dirt or mud smells. Shivering on a riverbank wrapped in a towel. The taste of dirt and melting M&M’s in my hands as a kid. Boots and puddles.
The scene in A River Runs Through It…and expansive beauty!

By infusion 5…the Puerh had become really delicious. A fine creation somewhat like building a thatched home and moving in. All is right and comfortable. The flavor was smooth and sweet. The pepper and spice and juice and earth had harmoniously blended into a oneness. It was worth it to come to this place and I can’t imagine stopping short of this part of the journey.

I am sure that I have more steepings to go. The liquor has not weakened.

Mercuryhime

Poetically written. :) I think you picked up a lot more notes than I did, but I am a mere novice in puerhs. I agree that the first few infusions leave something to be desired. Perhaps we should think of it as a rinse. Puerh lasts too many steeps to worry about wasting an inferior cupful or two.

Bonnie

Solidly put. I’ve been drinking at least….40oz or so already. It’s still going strong enough to taste good and not watery. I should have a Pu-erh bar like in the Wild West! All dirt and dust don’t you think? The steeps would last through many hands of poker! LS and Whiskey too!

jason

Deal me in!

ScottTeaMan

I’m sure I’ve posted this before, but if you haven’t heard already Winston Churchill used to put whiskey in his LS.

ScottTeaMan

Which I will try should Bonnie send some samples my way!

Butiki Teas

Bonnie, your description totally brought me back to my childhood. My grandfather’s house had a huge lake in front of it and the lake emptied to a creek. My brother and I would play in the creek and get all muddy. I think I will now forever associate puerh with those childhood experiences. I agree the first infusion is not quite right. I was having difficulty finding a time that would get the first infusion correct. I tried even 2 minutes, but even then it is not enough so I decided on 1 minute. I love this puerh from the third infusion on, I just wish I could figure out how to make the first infusion just as great.

Bonnie

I wouldn’t worry about it. It is what it is. Maybe a second wash is what I’m thinking. You didn’t say to wash it…and I did that but it should have had a second one I think. Then, maybe it would have opened up earlier. What do I know though. I love the unique shapes you find in the tea offered. Like Butiki “Designer” tea!

Bonnie

Scott…I worked on getting your samples ready today and will mail them off tomorrow. I thought people drank Whiskey alongside the LS! And smoked cigars!~ (that’s smoke)

Butiki Teas

Hmmm, a second wash might be helpful. I’m going to give that a shot and see if it helps.

I think this is sipdown #7 today, although I’m not quite sure, LOL.
I’ve had these tuochas for awhile, & that first 1 minute steep is a little on the watery side for me. I gave the 2nd steep 1.5 min, 2 for the third, 3 for the 4th, & 4 for the 5th steep.

Leather, Oak, sweet earth, & semolina are the tastes I received.

Cavocorax

7? Good job!

Terri HarpLady

Thanks Cavo! Of course, my Mandala order came, so I had to add 5, LOL.

This is a really nice puerh, thanks to Mercuryhime for the sample!

I put the entire disc into my Xiying teapot, but instead of following the instructions I did two steeps at around 30 seconds. This is a lot lighter than I thought it would be, but I like it. It’s earthy (of course) but with some gentle cocoa notes and a mild sweetness. Pretty good!

So the second two steeps got quite a bit darker and now I am picking up on the tobacco notes but still getting chocolate-y ones, it’s a very rich and mellow tea, I’m enjoying it a lot… no fishiness or odd off flavors here. Yummy! I would consider buying some of this someday…

I’m having an angsty day as I listen to this song by Thirty Seconds To Mars. I guess I’m not too old to be gothy and angry… :)

Bonnie

I really like these little disc’s. I wash them first though because they take awhile to soften. But, they are good.

I want to thank Butiki Teas for sending me this wonderful tea. I really didn’t expect such a generous amount. Thank you!

The dry tea is so cute. It’s whole dark leaves compressed into a thickish coin shape. I could tell from the smell and appearance that it’s a cooked puerh before even reading about it. The smell was woodsy and puerh-y. haha, I don’t know how to describe that particular odor. :)

The first brew is a bit light, which is to be expected, but I could tell it was going to get better. This tea is warm and smooth. I can detect leather and wood with a cocoa aftertaste. Hmm… I’m on the second steep now and it is so much better. More cocoa. I’m loving this aftertaste! I suppose one might even say this is a bit tobacco-y, which I’d only know because dad refuses to quit smoking. :(

As the cup cools, I’m tasting something bright like lemon. Refreshing!

I sometimes think puerh is the cabernet of tea. I hate cabernet. I really like this puerh. :) I’m rarely if ever in the mood for puerh, which is a shame since this one is so good. I can’t imagine wanting this tea too much as the weather gets warmer either. Then again, my desk at work is right under the air conditioning vent so maybe I’ll have good cause to drink this at work. :)

Listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra radio on Pandora. :)

Boiling
Dylan Oxford

I’m curious what it considers ‘like’ TSO? Symphony X, maybe some Blind Guardian? I eventually gave up on Pandora and moved to Slacker due to Pandora’s definition of “similar” being so dissimilar to my own.

Bonnie

This is going on my wish list for Butiki when I can afford tea again!

Mercuryhime

Dylan, I didn’t pay too much attention but I got some Bond and Apocalyptica. There were some softer pieces that didn’t fit but I liked them anyway so it was not a big deal for me. I also have an old school RnB station that Bow only plays the same ten songs over and over because I do diligently liked and unliked everything it played. I’m pretty happy with Pandora but I’d be interested to try out your Slacker.

Bonnie, do try it! Very nice puerh for sure! And I love the handy shape!

oh man, the typos!

Azzrian

Oh this sounds very nice!

I haven’t been much in the mood for puerh lately (been in a black tea phase) but decided to kick myself back into eclectic variety.

These really are very good Tuo Chas. I don’t care if the puerh nerds say that mini cakes are sub-par (could’ve fooled me). They try to tell me that sheng is better too, but nothing has yet compared to the rich full-bodied flavor of a cup of shu for me :)

On a side note: sorry guys if I don’t log as often as I used to. I still check in with steepster everyday, but I don’t have any new teas atm (just sipping through the oldies but goodies) and school work is consuming my time. I’m also stressed about applying for graduate school this year. If I don’t get into my preferred school, there will be complications. But besides that, applying at all has me a trifle stressed.

greenteafairy

Good luck with the applications!

moraiwe

School definitely comes first :) Good luck with your applications!

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, good luck with school, & with the application too!

Ah, Steepster, I have neglected you of late. Life does not run in smooth paths and the bumps have thrown me off kilter for a while. Still, I am back and I shall try to post once a week, because that is what I think I can manage. So, excuses aside, I wish to thank Bonnie for sending me this tea. I have been carefully hoarding it ever since. Yesterday seemed like the right day for me to appreciate it, so I chucked it into one of my Yixing pots and brewed away. I gave it a full minute for the first steep and ten seconds for the next two, before increasing the steeping time gradually over the day. I think I managed a good eight or so steep from this one before it became just hot brown water and they were all good. The dominant flavour seemed to be cinnamon and cedar with an undertone of cocoa. There was a slightly metallic tang to it that I have noticed with other shu puerhs, but it was not an unpleasant flavour, just slightly earthy. Two thumbs up.

Thanks to Bonnie for this sample.
I loved the coin-shaped individual package.
Bonnie wrote to rinse 20 seconds in boiling H2O, discard water.
Steep 1 min in 4 oz boiling H2O.
Drink!
Additional steepings should be 10-15 seconds each. This is good sweet or as a latte.

I made some boiling water, and enjoyed this throughout the day.
I did get a nice calmness. I did some more productive uncluttering of paperwork and spent time with my son.
I will have to investigate more Puerh’s in the future.
I took Bonnie’s advice and added some milk and a bit of agave.
Not much more I can say.
Sadly, this is the last sample I had from my goodie bag from Bonnie, so I just wanted to say “Thanks!”