Flowery Pineapple Oolong

Oolong Tea
Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

From Butiki Teas

This light delicate tea pairs our premium Wen Shan Bao Zhong with a light pineapple flavor. The buttery and orchid notes of the oolong as well as its light body marry well with the pineapple flavor for a well-balanced soft tea. Without sugar this oolong has a wonderful light natural flavor but add a little brown crystal sugar for a stronger yet still natural pineapple flavor.

Ingredients: Wen Shan Bao Zhong Oolong Tea, Organic Freeze-Dried Pineapple, Organic Calendula, Organic Pineapple Natural Flavoring (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

About Butiki Teas View company

Yes…this is in my cupboard. It’s an oolong. and i LOVE IT! Stacy sent me a sample of this a while back and after drinking it, i tried a couple other pineapple oolongs and this one was at the top of my list! So i bought some more…and then forgot about it…until this morning. YUUUUUUUUMMMMYYYYY!

Nxtdoor

It’s the " flowery" part that would scare me. :)

Lala

I don’t think it is that flowery. More so pineapple, with some light floral accents. Its not floral like jasmine, I think of it more like honeysuckle floral.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

This is my favorite Butiki tea!

nxtdoor. i despise floral teas. hate them. gross. ick. this is just a deliciously pineapple tea. it’s really light…i love my blaks teas and puerh but this is delicious when you just want something a little different. resteeps nicely too

Amariel

Nxtdoor…me too. I have to be very careful with floral teas.

Heather….but this one is really really tasty. If you like pineapple

Cavocorax

I’m glad to know it’s not super floral. I wonder if it might sell better if she changed the name so it wasn’t “Flowery”? Seems like a few of us are nervous about floral teas.

cavo – i can share a sample with you…just remind me. i really like it and you know how i hate floral teas…bleh

Butiki Teas

Cavocorax-I’ve thought about changing the name to Hawaiian Pineapple but wasn’t sure about it. The floral aspect only comes from the Wen Shan Bao Zhong. No floral flavorings have been used and the only other floral is a little bit of calendula that is often used in our other blends.

Amariel

Good to know…I do like pineapple.

My Butiki order arrived today! So excited, I ripped open the box immediately and started my kettle. I could smell the pineapple right when I ripped open the box. Oh wow, this is gonna be good!

4 minutes seems like it isn’t a long time, but waiting for this tea to steep, it seemed like an eternity…..the smell is intoxicating.

Sip….WOW!!!! I am transported back to Hawaii, sitting on the beach eating fresh, sweet pineapple and ice cream…the waves rolling in and the sand in between my toes….ah….

This tea is super fresh pineapple, sweet, and so natural. Then the oolong makes an appearance, not vegetal, but silky and smooth. At the end of the sip, I get a flowery note.

Resteep- 85 degrees, 5 minutes: more oolong coming through, and the pineapple isn’t as strong. The floral notes are still there. Still amazing!

Edit: I had put the last few sips of each steep in the fridge to chill. As much as I like this tea hot, I don’t like it as much cold. There is just something about oolong that I don’t like cold.

Butiki Teas

So glad you are enjoying this one! :)

softrevolution

Oh, that sounds fantastic! So tempted to order some..

Hmmmm dare I try another butiki oolong though they haven’t been full of as
Much “win” as their others….

Bonnie

It’s good, trust grandma!

Butiki Teas

Sil-The flavor is substantially stronger than our other oolongs but it is still natural tasting.

Stacy – thanks for letting me know. :) totally worth a try then heh you charmer you, twist my rubber arm why dont ya?

Butiki Teas

Hahaha, I’m terrible aren’t I?

tigress_al

I must say it is pretty delicious!

If this is included in tomorrow’s Butiki sale- there is no way I’m resisting an order. I need to stock up! So goooooood! :-)

Butiki Teas

Yep, all teas will be included in the sale! :)

Stephanie

ALL teas? Oh man…I’m totally going to have to order some stuff…probably including this one.

Butiki Teas

Stephanie-It will be very similar to our Black Friday sale. :)

OMGsrsly

Oh geez. Tomorrow’s Butiki sale? I hope I still have money on my pre-loaded credit card… :)

Fuzzy_Peachkin

I am SOOOOooooooo in trouble! :-)

I need to find a way to get on a computer while I’m on vacation tomorrow.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Oh! And Happy Birthday, Stacy! :-)

Butiki Teas

Thank you, Fuzzy_Peachkin! :)

Nxtdoor

Good lord

Mmm, I can certainly taste the bao zhong here! DELICIOUS! But the pineapple flavour is unfortunately too light for me to enjoy it as such. I’m getting floral, slightly fruity notes at the end of the sip, which must be the pineapple (along with a bit of aroma). We just had a fresh pineapple for dessert this evening; I should have saved a touch of the juice and infused a bit here!

Either way, I think we should all be thankful that Stacy didn’t decide to put hibiscus in here to make the tea tart!! Hahahahaha.

ETA: Second infusion in half the water (same brewing parameters) is a slightly fruity pouchong. Definitely worth it, but the flavouring is pretty much absent.

Hey! There’s nothing wrong with hibiscus in moderation :p

Indigobloom

Hibby is good, if used right!
I trust Stacy, she knows how to figure out the ratios :)

Kittenna

Haha Sil, but for your rhubarb tea, hibiscus would be appropriate (I thought it was great in DT’s Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait)! Here, however, I think hibiscus would have been a terrible idea, but you know that some blenders would put it in anyways!

Indigobloom

Kittenna, that is true. It must be inexpensive, because they use it like a filler!!

Inexpensive and heavy(ish)!

Butiki Teas

Hibiscus is super cheap and pretty heavy but I would be surprised if many companies used it as a filler because it doesn’t take much to go extremely sour. The difference between even 5 grams in a pound of tea can be pretty noticeable.

Indigobloom

5g per lb? wow, that is more intense than I realized.

Butiki Teas

Indigobloom-Well that would be for it to be noticed. I used 13 grams in your entire tea. I started out with 20 which was way too sour. Those 7 grams made a huge difference. Better fillers would be dried fruits though not freeze-dried (since the kind we use are super expensive and usually add cost) and some nuts would work well as fillers.

Indigobloom

Oh neat, good to know the amounts! I can’t wait to start playing with the parameters. (getting so tired of waiting for a filter. gah!!)

I cold steeped this one over night (12 hour total), and then poured it into a water bottle for my first day of work. It was great having some refreshing tea with me while training to make everything feel more comfortable/at home.

Taste wise, it was flawlessly amazing and just like it tastes hot, expect – well, you know, cold! I love how full out pineapple this one is! Umph!

As far as the first work day went? Really well! I thought the job seemed easy enough and that I was picking things up really quickly and the people who are (temporarily, until construction in my store is finished) my coworkers are all really cool! The break room is huge, and has a nice tea set up so for the month or so I’m at that location I think I’ll bring some simple tea equiptment or matcha over so I can make things fresh while on break! Very, very exciting!

Plus I have my schedule for the next two weeks and I’m getting plenty of hours! All good things!

K S

Congrats.

caile

That’s great! :)

Butiki Teas

Congrats on your first day! :)

YAAAAY!

TheTeaFairy

Congrats, that’s awesome news!!

Oh, man this smells amazing in the bag, pineapple and flowery, a touch of Hawaii for sure. I could hardly wait to try it.

I steeped this for around 3 minutes at 180F and got a very light yellowish/green tea liquor. This smells very pineapple-y and tastes lovely, really like pineapple juice especially in the finish. I’m not picking up much on anything buttery but I am getting the orchid notes for sure. I will have to play with my steeping parameters a bit on this one. This will be a great one to experiment with as well, I bet it’s really good with soymilk added or maybe some rum extract. Virgin pina colada tea… yummy! I don’t sweeten too many things but I thought this was better with a touch of sugar. =)

I got a second steep out of this one and it is still flavorful.

Thank you Stacy for this Tea!

This is the first review of one of Stacy’s new tea’s.

About a month or so ago, I was chatting (PM) with Stacy and told her that I thought Butiki should/could create a Pineapple Oolong Tea. I noticed that many people on Steepster enjoy pineapple but seemed to have a hard time finding that taste in a tea that they really liked. I tried to buy a highly reguarded pineapple tea myself but it was always unavailable. I pushed poor Stacy a little, she thought it over, did her amazing flavor magic, and here is the result…Flowery Pineapple Oolong!

I was waiting for the Post all this morning…where’s that Butiki Box?!
Watered the plants, cleaned house…and finally…the Post arrived!
Ripping open the package, then beginning the brewing of my pot of tea was one fluid movement. (There should be a program called ‘Dancing with your Tea’ because I would win!) I had fresh spring water in my electric kettle…so swoop, heat, pour water in the teapot…done.

It was a long 4 minute steeping! ‘bing’

The liquor was pale yellow and steaming with the scent of orchids and tropical fruit.

I took a sip…and Oh Stacy! The flavor was the softest pillow of pineapple resting on a bed of sweet fragrant white orchids. The tip of my tongue tasted some pineapple tang. That tangy taste was from the perfect blending of natural pineapple bits and Oolong tea leaves.
This was super juicy and super creamy…even…yes… an exotic experience that transported me to a cool Island Beach lined with Palm Trees. Relaxing! Ahhhh! (Where is that Old Spice commercial guy?)

There was a little temptation that I gave in to.

Reaching into the steeping basket…I picked out a piece of pineapple and chewed on that one piece slowly… while sipping my tea. It was almost sinful…(but not)… it tasted so good!

I added sweetening, and my cup came alive with pineapple goodness. (Stacy suggests raw brown sugar crystals).

You could almost make this a cocktail worthy of Rum and a decorative umbrella! Chilled this tea doesn’t get bitter! OH…the possibilities are endless!!!

Another little thing I do with melon or acidic fruit tea’s (like pineapple) is place some sea salt in the palm of my hand (just a little), taste the salt…then drink some tea. The flavor of the fruit POPS.

My 2 cents worth:
It’s important to let tea companies know what we, the consumers, are interested in drinking. They often listen. Butiki is one of the companies that is customer oriented and listens to us. There are others that do the same. Hooray for them!!!!

Great job creating a fabulous tea again Stacy! Stupendous!

http://youtu.be/-MRMqsP9Kb0 The Pineapple Song

tigress_al

This sounds soooo good! What a stand-out company of Butiki to be so involved with customer feedback.

Butiki Teas

I was planning out a white tea with pineapple but you really convinced me to go with a pineapple oolong and I am so glad I did! It wouldn’t have had the wonderful delicate orchid notes or the butteryness. I love Wen Shan Bao Zhong and it just made such a lovely base. Thank you so much for the recommendation Bonnie! Those freeze-dried pineapple pieces are so yummy. They certainly are difficult not to eat. Great music video too. Now I’m in a very tropical mood.

Tawny Kira

Oh my goodness! This sounds so delicious!!

Azzrian

Oh MY MY MY this does sound SO good!

Kittenna

I am going to need this tea… drinks tea as fast as possible

Kittenna

Also, bahahaha, Dancing with your Tea! Love it! Did you watch that video on Teavivre’s site where that guy dances with a teapot with an incredibly long spout, and makes a big show of pouring it? I can’t recall who posted it (other than Teavivre), was it you? Or Azzrian?

Kittenna

It was quite beautiful/amazing! I wonder if I can find it for you…

Azzrian

Not me I have not seen it but going to watch it now lol

Bonnie

Well, here you go girls…so eye candy! Tropical http://youtu.be/3R2cnxz27LI Old Spice!

Bonnie

WOW! I watched the video…and…ouch if you miss…you are seriously burned! WOW!

Kittenna

Mmmmm, Old Spice guy ;) A couple girls I know actually met him. Soooo jealous.

Bonnie

When I met my ex-husband he was that good looking. I’d rather nice than cute any day! Blech on mean people!!! (that guy is…well…he has a nice personality!!!) ;)

Kittenna

Oh yes, me too. Old Spice guy seems really nice :D It seems my ex kind of fell into the other category though… :(

Kittenna

Agreed :D I’m still suffering from a broken heart, so it would probably do me some good :P

Kittenna

(To avoid confusion, the ex I am referring to here is not the one from Northern Ireland. :P)

Ninavampi

Dancing with your tea competition… That sounds amazing!!! I actually stopped and thought about it for a few minutes… hahaha…

After tasting this, I couldn’t believe how long I waited to order from Butiki. I am LOVING everything so far. This one might just be my favourite.

I love how light and crisp and refreshing it is. This is probably the freshest-tasting pineapple flavour that I’ve had in a tea. It’s not overly candy-sweet or sickly at all, just a bright, smooth kiss of pineapple. Deelish!

I think the floral note is what makes it so interesting and addicting. Is it a flavouring that’s added, or just a natural quality of the oolong? Either way it’s really, really lovely. I don’t have oolongs that often, but I’m really starting to enjoy them.

I had it hot for my first try, but I’ll definitely try it iced as well. It would be SO delicious iced, I can just tell! I like that it’s one of those versatile teas that’ll be tasty no matter the temperature.

Butiki Teas

So glad you are enjoying the teas! The floral note is all the oolong. Only natural organic pineapple flavor was used for this blend.

Butiki Teas

There will also be a slight bit of floral from the calendula pieces but the oolong base is very floral.

softrevolution

Wow! Tea continues to amaze me :)

STACY FROM BUTIKI, THANK YOU FOR THIS SAMPLE!

First order with Butiki came on Friday.  But did I know it came on Friday?  No I didn’t!  And why didn’t I know?  Cause Mr. Right was having a bad case of Nascar fever, that’s why!  ( Nascar week here in Montréal.)

See, Mr Right is in charge of picking up the mail everyday (We live in the country and don’t get mail delivered at the door).

I don’t know if some of you are like that, but when I have tea on it’s way, I become very anxious and kind of obsessed with cheking the mail…rings a bell? sounds familiar? So before I left for work Friday morning, I asked:  «Honey, before you leave for the race, could you please make sure you go pick up the mail?»

What I’m thinking is «Oh! Please Tea God, make sure my tea has arrived so I may have a heavenly tea week end!»  (don’t laugh, you all know THERE IS A TEA GOD, so don’t pretend you never pray for him!)

Of course Mr Right said:  «I will go for sure, don’t worry.» And I beleived him.  I trusted him. No reason to doubt him.

When I came back home Friday night, there was no package on the kitchen table. Oh well, I thought TEA GOD must have been too busy for me…

So I was a Nacar widow for the week end…every year he spends Nascar week end at the race track in Montreal with my broher.  They have a men’s week end, with men’s food and men’s beverages that won’t incude tea of any kind. (so they thought…)

On Saturday night, Mr Right calls to check on me.

He’s having a blast.

Happy for him, really.

He asks why am I not more enthousiastic for him. ( I usually am…)

I tell him about my anticipation and then my dispointment for not getting the tea.

Basically, I’m in a tea depressed mood. There, I’ve said it!

Oh-oh… I sense a discompfort at the end on the line.  silence.  never good.

Then, the bomb:  «You know, when I picked up the mail yesterday morning before leaving, there was a small package.  I didn’t really look at it, sorry.  I just remembered now, I forgot it in the car…ooops…»

Words are sinking in….  forgot it in the car… forgot it in HIS CAR!  Been sitting there, in the heat wave for almost 2 days, can’t be good!  I try to compose myself, I have a nervous twitch going on, but I manage to maintain a hint of normalcy in my voice.

«Honey, you know, heat is not the best thing for tea… and why did you think I was asking you to pick up the mail on Friday?  Why am I usually so anxious to get the mail?  TEA… yes, my love…TEA. You should have guessed.»

To his defense, Nascar is as much of a passion for him than tea is for me. ( well maybe not quite AS MUCH, but close enough)

So compassion sets in, and my love for him releases the tension.

A simple «Can you get them for me and put them in a cool place until you come back?»

leads to  «Ok, now can you open Pineapple oolong and descibe how it smells for me?»

And so he did for all the pouches!  We had «phone tea» together and we loved it:-)

He then told me he had too much beer and was contemplating the idea of making a cup of Orange Creamsicle!

Yes, he ended up having my heavenly tea before I did!  Both NASCAR GOD and TEA GOD working wonders for him this week end! What can I say, he’s a very deserving dude!

He came back this morning, a little ashamed of himself, but the tea was preserved!

I had to try this one right away!  Mr Right said on the phone that it smelled just like pineapple Lifesavers. That’s exactly it!  Mmmm…the taste is so pineapple and natural! I haven’t indulged in a good fruity flavored tea in a long time.  This one is spectacular!  Exotic and creamy…but the taste is light and refreshing, with an all natural sweetness at the end. The oolong is a good quality one, does make a big difference.  Too often, the base tea is of a lower quality in flavored teas.  Butiki, from what I’ve been reading on Steepster, never does that. Those pineapple chunks are so fragrant! And the calendula buds make this blend so pretty! In fact, I find all teas at Butiki are pretty. As if Stacy blends them with all the care and love she thinks they deserve. She probably does!

This one is a hit, and I will definatly order it next time.

I have to mention the incredible service I received from Stacy.  She made me feel so welcomed as a new client!  I loved the attention and the special samples she so graciously included.  Sets apart from competition, just love a vendor that makes you feel special :-)

Thanks again, can’t wait to try the rest of my bunch!

Butiki Teas

“Phone Tea” gave me such a good laugh. Thanks for the compliments :)

Bonnie

Oh this was such a wonderful and fun review to read. I hope you write more. I want to see the movie version of this TEA/ NASCAR relationship with the accent and all which I wish I had. All beautiful and charming and magical!

TheTeaFairy

@Butiki: yes, our «phone tea» session was a lot of fun, great way of getting a good description! As for the compliments, they are well deserved!

TheTeaFairy

@Bonnie: thank you, what a nice compliment coming from you! The movie would be boring I’m afraid…regular folks with regular lives! But we always try to put the fun in it, especially when going through rough times…I WISH I could write more! Couple of vacation days coming my way, stay tuned:-)

momo

I love when tea and racing can come together! There is actually a tea from a company in Singapore, TGW or something like that, called Race Day! The only place in North America with it is over in Vancouver and they want waaaaay too much for shipping so I am waiting for the day I make it to Vancouver to get it.

That sounds fantastic! I love that he would have “phone tea” with you :)

TheTeaFairy

@Sil: yes, he’s funny that way!

CupofTree

It was such a joy to read this. Thank you for sharing :)

TheTeaFairy

@Amanda: on the contrary, I would never have mixed the two! But I know your likings for racing, so you obviously have more experience than I do with combining tea with cars :-) Hope you get to try that tea soon, sounds like you’ll have to come and visit us here in Canada!

TheTeaFairy

@CupofTree: Thanks! Always nice to share a story here:-)

tigress_al

Lol, your story made me laugh. Tea tells a story on its own…“the Nascar adventures of Flowery Pineapple Oolong.”

TheTeaFairy

@tigress: hahaha! Love the title, now that could be featured as a movie title, maybe Bonnie was right in her comment afterall, should I present the idea to Pixar for their next animated car movie?

Mmmm, love this tea!

Did a blog entry on it, http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/flowery-pineapple-oolong-from-butiki-teas-tea-review/

I’m spending the day working on crochet stuff and watching more Boys Over Flowers. That show is total soap opera like and addicting! Perfect to watch tea to!

Indigobloom

Nice! are you watching the Japanese version?

Awkward Soul

I’m watching the Korean one. I’m working my way through a big list of Kdramas.

Indigobloom

ah. I think that’s what I watched to. but my supplier ran dry. What others do you have? I’m hoping to youtube it!

Awkward Soul

I’ve been watching them on dramafever.com. The ads suck, but they got a good collection.