Malt, Yams, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Floral, Grain, Nuts, Earth, Chocolate, Creamy, Pecan, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 349 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our Zhen Qu originates from Yunnan, China and has downy black and gold curly leaves. This lightly malty tea has wonderful honey notes that linger and mingle with floral, chocolate, and pecan notes. Our recommended steep time produces a well-balanced tea and is less dry but we also recommend trying this tea at longer steep times for a more intense flavor.

Ingredients: Chinese Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Such a pleasant surprise after a horrible, horrible day at work that saw me both taking a short lunch and leaving late and not getting everything done and everybody wants me to do more things and everything’s going wrong and then I spilled a cup of coffee just as I was getting ready to leave and cried.

Then I got home and found a lovely little bundle of happiness from Butiki waiting for me on my doorstep! I couldn’t wait to get stuck in and try something lovely – I went for this fine specimen because the fragrance was magnificently enticing – mmm, chocolate – and the leaves themselves are these lovely, lofty, fluffy curls. The flavour is every bit as comforting. It kind of reminds me of a very nice darjeeling, but there’s more: I’m getting soft cocoa, caramel, dates, raisins. Wowzers. So cozy. This has made my day.

Ost

Awww I hope you feel better soon! Tea always cheers me up on the bad days, hope it will continue to help you on the crappy days! (:

Sami Kelsh

Tea is my lifeblood. It seems to be making a wee bit of a difference, so I shall keep drinking! Thanks! x

Drinking delicious tea at work makes me happy. It brings a sense of comfort and a feeling of home to a job where I deal with fairly dreary subject matter, sitting at my desk and reading depressing things all day long.

I would almost say that tea gets me through the day.

Especially my “special” teas. Like this one. So relaxing and cozy and warm and flavorful.

tea tea tea.

Backlog. I had this wonderful tea this morning. I accidentally left it steeping for a whopping 8-9 minutes because I was distracted with filling out forms. To my surprise/delight, the tea wasn’t bitter! I mean, it was definitely stronger than I would have liked and there was some astringency, but all in all, not bad for steeping almost 3 times the recommended time.

Good morning, Steepster! Yes, I know it’s almost noon, but I still have 8 minutes to write this before that happens! I figured I would choose the only Yunnan from my Butiki order as my tea of the morning, since I generally like to drink a Yunnan first. The dry leaves are adorable! Fairly short, small black leaves mixed with cute little fuzzball golden tips. It left lovely golden Yunnan fairy dust all over the teaspoon I used to measure! Aww! Dry scent is sweet, musty hay with chocolate and a slight herby spice note.

Mm, tea is so lovely. The brewed tea smells quite bready, with honey notes along with light floral and fruity scents. At first, I thought this tea was a bit too light, but it seemed that as I kept sipping it, I stopped thinking so. Maybe the flavor builds with this one? Anyway, it’s definitely light for a black tea, or even for a Yunnan. The taste is very grainy in the chewy raw grain sense, not in the bread sense. I was surprised to taste an interesting hint of cinnamon, which I loved! There’s also a wee bit of floral here (less excited about that one) and it makes an intriguing mix when combined with the cinnamon. Lastly, some cocoa notes and a very smooth, mellow texture round out the end of the sip. This tea is very lovely, and definitely different from any other Yunnan I have tried! :D

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cocoa, Floral, Grain

boychik

I went back to my notes. 2tsp for 8oz was great for me. Otherwise too light

Cameron B.

Thanks, dear, I’ll try that next time. :)

mj

You and Tealizzy are tea twins this morning :)

Tealizzy

mj – I thought that was totally funny!! :)

This morning this tea had a nice chocolate covered nut flavor. I always seem to get that more at home, whereas it’s less nutty at the office. Kinda cool actually, like two teas in one! Still love it, and I’m glad to have restocked!

Thank you Cavocorax for the sample of this tea. I am realizing that my tastes have changed enough that I enjoy straight blacks. However, my palette is yet to have developed enough to distinguish all the subtle nuances of the teas. Consequently, they all taste the same to me: malty, sweet, and delicious but still the same. Perhaps I should try them side by side and that will point out the differences but as it stands now, as embarrassed I am to say it, I can’ really tell them apart from one another.

Courtney

It seems that, just like any tea, time and trials will do the trick. I’m excited to see your notes on this adventure.

VariaTEA

I think I may do a side by side by side comparison of this, PTA, and Jin Pin to see which I prefer of the three. And perhaps I shall toss Lord Petersham in too as that was another that I found tasted super similar.

Courtney

I love doing side by sides. I rarely actually end up doing them, but they’re enjoyable when it happens.

whatshesaid

I’m kind of in the same boat, for the most part

VariaTEA

One day. One day we will all be able to try the slight differences of all the teas.

whatshesaid

I hope so! It’s frustrating not to be able to. Like being denied membership to a very exclusive club, haha

Roswell Strange

@VariaTEA – My most recent parcel to you have a straight black in it that I’m confidant you’ve yet to try! I haven’t had it recently but I remember it being very malty. Hope you like it when it makes it to you!

Yay! Try all the teas!

This lovely tea is a surprise tea from TeaTiff – thank you so much.
2tsp 8 oz 212F 3 min
It’s very flavorful and tasty. It’s malty bittersweet chocolate, some nuts, some honey and as cools I pick faint sweet potato in aftertaste. Smells strongly of honey. I love it.
Thank you for picking this tea for me TeaTiff, I enjoyed it a lot

Boiling 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TeaTiff

Yay I am glad you liked this one.

OMG. This is freaking AMAZING. I don’t think I’d ever had this before but I added it to my wishlist after reading some reviews, and then I snapped it up when Shadowfall sold some of her stash. YES!

It’s very mellow black that’s almost creamy, and tastes like honey and malt, and I feel like I should just keep sipping it instead of typing up my note because it’s cooling as I write!

But no worries folks, this is a re-steeper!
I may, and I’m not sure yet, but I MAY like this more than the PTA! :O

Stephanie

:D I love happy tea tasting notes :)

I think I od’d on one of Yunnan Sourcing’s teas yesterday…you know when you steep too strong and drink too much? I was so overly saturated with the tea yesterday that I didn’t even write a review. So this morning when I reached into the tea cabinet, my hand went FAR away from the golden yunnans and found this…. a little forgotten treasure in my cupboard.
I love this tea’s subtlety. Especially today, after my overindulgence yesterday. The flavors are incredibly delicate, but still wonderfully identifiable… gentle chocolate and a touch of yam skin (nice earthiness) for the bottom notes…a delicate middle note combination of pecan and subtle malt and a top note of refined flowers. Sometimes, because of the slight earthiness and amazingly delicate flavors this tea holds, I get the feeling that this tea would almost like to be a keemun …. perhaps for Halloween only… lovely gentle notes make for a lovely gentle tea. Wonderful.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Malt, Pecan, Yams