Cinnamon, Cocoa, Floral, Grain, Malt, Nuts, Earth, Chocolate, Creamy, Pecan, Yams, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 348 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “mmmmmm So I really like this tea! It won't replace Laoshan black as one of my favorite straight blaccks but it's pretty damn good! I asked Stacy for a sample of this to try out and see how it...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5079 tasting notes
  • “The world didn't end! Yeah! This isn't the tea I wanted. I wanted something dark & rich, velvety & heavy with malt. But I'm at Tony's, & his selection isn't so great, & I realized I had tossed...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3010 tasting notes
  • “Bleh. So one of the lids of my travel mugs does *not* smell good, and unfortunately, this tea was affected by it. I swapped lids with a different mug (that had been emptied) to try and curb the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2390 tasting notes
  • “I probably won't have very many sipdowns this week. I have gone through most of my easy sipdowns and am left with moderate amounts of lots of teas (and lots of a few teas). I will make myself crazy...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1994 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Zhen Qu originates from Yunnan, China and has downy black and gold curly leaves. This lightly malty tea has wonderful honey notes that linger and mingle with floral, chocolate, and pecan notes. Our recommended steep time produces a well-balanced tea and is less dry but we also recommend trying this tea at longer steep times for a more intense flavor.

Ingredients: Chinese Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Okay, seriously, I think this is my new favorite tea. This morning’s cup tasted like rocky road ice cream/ brownies with nuts. I’m not a fan of either of those, because the nuts distract me from the chocolate-y goodness, but as a tea, it’s amazing! Yum yum yum!! Smooth and delicious! I did add a splash of half and half today, which might be the touch needed to make this pure dessert. Dessert for breakfast! That’s right!!

Cameron B.

I agree, this tea is yum! :D

1972 tasting notes

Thank you Cavocorax for the sample of this tea. I am realizing that my tastes have changed enough that I enjoy straight blacks. However, my palette is yet to have developed enough to distinguish all the subtle nuances of the teas. Consequently, they all taste the same to me: malty, sweet, and delicious but still the same. Perhaps I should try them side by side and that will point out the differences but as it stands now, as embarrassed I am to say it, I can’ really tell them apart from one another.

Courtney

It seems that, just like any tea, time and trials will do the trick. I’m excited to see your notes on this adventure.

VariaTEA

I think I may do a side by side by side comparison of this, PTA, and Jin Pin to see which I prefer of the three. And perhaps I shall toss Lord Petersham in too as that was another that I found tasted super similar.

Courtney

I love doing side by sides. I rarely actually end up doing them, but they’re enjoyable when it happens.

whatshesaid

I’m kind of in the same boat, for the most part

VariaTEA

One day. One day we will all be able to try the slight differences of all the teas.

whatshesaid

I hope so! It’s frustrating not to be able to. Like being denied membership to a very exclusive club, haha

Roswell Strange

@VariaTEA – My most recent parcel to you have a straight black in it that I’m confidant you’ve yet to try! I haven’t had it recently but I remember it being very malty. Hope you like it when it makes it to you!

Yay! Try all the teas!

This lovely tea is a surprise tea from TeaTiff – thank you so much.
2tsp 8 oz 212F 3 min
It’s very flavorful and tasty. It’s malty bittersweet chocolate, some nuts, some honey and as cools I pick faint sweet potato in aftertaste. Smells strongly of honey. I love it.
Thank you for picking this tea for me TeaTiff, I enjoyed it a lot

Boiling 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TeaTiff

Yay I am glad you liked this one.

OMG. This is freaking AMAZING. I don’t think I’d ever had this before but I added it to my wishlist after reading some reviews, and then I snapped it up when Shadowfall sold some of her stash. YES!

It’s very mellow black that’s almost creamy, and tastes like honey and malt, and I feel like I should just keep sipping it instead of typing up my note because it’s cooling as I write!

But no worries folks, this is a re-steeper!
I may, and I’m not sure yet, but I MAY like this more than the PTA! :O

Stephanie

:D I love happy tea tasting notes :)

I think I od’d on one of Yunnan Sourcing’s teas yesterday…you know when you steep too strong and drink too much? I was so overly saturated with the tea yesterday that I didn’t even write a review. So this morning when I reached into the tea cabinet, my hand went FAR away from the golden yunnans and found this…. a little forgotten treasure in my cupboard.
I love this tea’s subtlety. Especially today, after my overindulgence yesterday. The flavors are incredibly delicate, but still wonderfully identifiable… gentle chocolate and a touch of yam skin (nice earthiness) for the bottom notes…a delicate middle note combination of pecan and subtle malt and a top note of refined flowers. Sometimes, because of the slight earthiness and amazingly delicate flavors this tea holds, I get the feeling that this tea would almost like to be a keemun …. perhaps for Halloween only… lovely gentle notes make for a lovely gentle tea. Wonderful.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Malt, Pecan, Yams