Cinnamon, Cocoa, Floral, Grain, Malt, Nuts, Earth, Chocolate, Creamy, Pecan, Yams, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 348 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “mmmmmm So I really like this tea! It won't replace Laoshan black as one of my favorite straight blaccks but it's pretty damn good! I asked Stacy for a sample of this to try out and see how it...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5357 tasting notes
  • “The world didn't end! Yeah! This isn't the tea I wanted. I wanted something dark & rich, velvety & heavy with malt. But I'm at Tony's, & his selection isn't so great, & I realized I had tossed...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3069 tasting notes
  • “Bleh. So one of the lids of my travel mugs does *not* smell good, and unfortunately, this tea was affected by it. I swapped lids with a different mug (that had been emptied) to try and curb the...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2604 tasting notes
  • “I probably won't have very many sipdowns this week. I have gone through most of my easy sipdowns and am left with moderate amounts of lots of teas (and lots of a few teas). I will make myself crazy...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2030 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Zhen Qu originates from Yunnan, China and has downy black and gold curly leaves. This lightly malty tea has wonderful honey notes that linger and mingle with floral, chocolate, and pecan notes. Our recommended steep time produces a well-balanced tea and is less dry but we also recommend trying this tea at longer steep times for a more intense flavor.

Ingredients: Chinese Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 level teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Another backlog. I had a really intense on site interview the other day that I had to get up earlier than usual for. Basically, I met ten people in the span of 5-6 hours, one at a time. Yikes. Anyway, I woke up that morning really feeling like I needed a solid black tea to drink. I probably should have reached for one that I had tasted before, but I decided to take a risk and steep this one. I’m actually so glad that I did, though, because this tea was delicious.

Most of my favorite black teas are actually Verdant’s straight blacks, but this one is definitely a contender for a top spot. It was nice and malty, perfect for mornings. Yet it was also sweet and potato-y. Overall, a pretty complex variety of flavors all deliciously blending together into this one cup of amazing tea. I’m definitely glad that I made that second Butiki order or else I would have missed out on this!

Good morning, Steepster! Yes, I know it’s almost noon, but I still have 8 minutes to write this before that happens! I figured I would choose the only Yunnan from my Butiki order as my tea of the morning, since I generally like to drink a Yunnan first. The dry leaves are adorable! Fairly short, small black leaves mixed with cute little fuzzball golden tips. It left lovely golden Yunnan fairy dust all over the teaspoon I used to measure! Aww! Dry scent is sweet, musty hay with chocolate and a slight herby spice note.

Mm, tea is so lovely. The brewed tea smells quite bready, with honey notes along with light floral and fruity scents. At first, I thought this tea was a bit too light, but it seemed that as I kept sipping it, I stopped thinking so. Maybe the flavor builds with this one? Anyway, it’s definitely light for a black tea, or even for a Yunnan. The taste is very grainy in the chewy raw grain sense, not in the bread sense. I was surprised to taste an interesting hint of cinnamon, which I loved! There’s also a wee bit of floral here (less excited about that one) and it makes an intriguing mix when combined with the cinnamon. Lastly, some cocoa notes and a very smooth, mellow texture round out the end of the sip. This tea is very lovely, and definitely different from any other Yunnan I have tried! :D

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cocoa, Floral, Grain

boychik

I went back to my notes. 2tsp for 8oz was great for me. Otherwise too light

Cameron B.

Thanks, dear, I’ll try that next time. :)

mj

You and Tealizzy are tea twins this morning :)

Tealizzy

mj – I thought that was totally funny!! :)

This morning this tea had a nice chocolate covered nut flavor. I always seem to get that more at home, whereas it’s less nutty at the office. Kinda cool actually, like two teas in one! Still love it, and I’m glad to have restocked!

2066 tasting notes

Thank you Cavocorax for the sample of this tea. I am realizing that my tastes have changed enough that I enjoy straight blacks. However, my palette is yet to have developed enough to distinguish all the subtle nuances of the teas. Consequently, they all taste the same to me: malty, sweet, and delicious but still the same. Perhaps I should try them side by side and that will point out the differences but as it stands now, as embarrassed I am to say it, I can’ really tell them apart from one another.

Courtney

It seems that, just like any tea, time and trials will do the trick. I’m excited to see your notes on this adventure.

VariaTEA

I think I may do a side by side by side comparison of this, PTA, and Jin Pin to see which I prefer of the three. And perhaps I shall toss Lord Petersham in too as that was another that I found tasted super similar.

Courtney

I love doing side by sides. I rarely actually end up doing them, but they’re enjoyable when it happens.

whatshesaid

I’m kind of in the same boat, for the most part

VariaTEA

One day. One day we will all be able to try the slight differences of all the teas.

whatshesaid

I hope so! It’s frustrating not to be able to. Like being denied membership to a very exclusive club, haha

Roswell Strange

@VariaTEA – My most recent parcel to you have a straight black in it that I’m confidant you’ve yet to try! I haven’t had it recently but I remember it being very malty. Hope you like it when it makes it to you!

Yay! Try all the teas!

This lovely tea is a surprise tea from TeaTiff – thank you so much.
2tsp 8 oz 212F 3 min
It’s very flavorful and tasty. It’s malty bittersweet chocolate, some nuts, some honey and as cools I pick faint sweet potato in aftertaste. Smells strongly of honey. I love it.
Thank you for picking this tea for me TeaTiff, I enjoyed it a lot

Boiling 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TeaTiff

Yay I am glad you liked this one.

OMG. This is freaking AMAZING. I don’t think I’d ever had this before but I added it to my wishlist after reading some reviews, and then I snapped it up when Shadowfall sold some of her stash. YES!

It’s very mellow black that’s almost creamy, and tastes like honey and malt, and I feel like I should just keep sipping it instead of typing up my note because it’s cooling as I write!

But no worries folks, this is a re-steeper!
I may, and I’m not sure yet, but I MAY like this more than the PTA! :O

Stephanie

:D I love happy tea tasting notes :)

I think I od’d on one of Yunnan Sourcing’s teas yesterday…you know when you steep too strong and drink too much? I was so overly saturated with the tea yesterday that I didn’t even write a review. So this morning when I reached into the tea cabinet, my hand went FAR away from the golden yunnans and found this…. a little forgotten treasure in my cupboard.
I love this tea’s subtlety. Especially today, after my overindulgence yesterday. The flavors are incredibly delicate, but still wonderfully identifiable… gentle chocolate and a touch of yam skin (nice earthiness) for the bottom notes…a delicate middle note combination of pecan and subtle malt and a top note of refined flowers. Sometimes, because of the slight earthiness and amazingly delicate flavors this tea holds, I get the feeling that this tea would almost like to be a keemun …. perhaps for Halloween only… lovely gentle notes make for a lovely gentle tea. Wonderful.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Malt, Pecan, Yams