Gui Fei Oolong

Oolong Tea
Apple, Honey, Nectar, Nuts, Roasted, Sweet, Blackberry, Blueberry, Cacao, Caramel, Cream, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Ginger, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Accidently brewed this one for over 8 minutes, my bad! However, it doesn't seem to have suffered! It's just a toasty oolong, with... wow, a super sweet flavour that reminds me strongly of an ice...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2246 tasting notes
  • “i needed a break from flavoured teas so i pulled out a couple of oolongs that i'd ordered (willingly) from Stacy. This is the first one. Although it's a darker oolong it has <THAT> taste that i...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “Good Lord! I am kicking myself for not trying this before now! SERIOUSLY! This oolong is out of this world! I am on steep three and I am sure I could get at least two more if not more than...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “2 tsp / 16 oz Really enjoying this today. I swear so many things must impact the way one tastes tea, because every time I drink this, it's different. Today, I'm enjoying the lightness and...” Read full tasting note
    RachelJ 110 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Gui Fei Oolong was sourced from Lugu Township in Nantou County, Taiwan and is a particularly unique tea. Green leafhoppers are allowed to bite the tea leaves which causes the leaves to begin the healing process which creates the honey notes in this tea and also begins the oxidation process. This tea utilized traditional Dong Ding processing techniques. Gui Fei Oolong has a natural sweetness to it and produces no astringency. Notes of honey, lightly burned toast, raw almonds and apples can be detected.

Ingredients: Taiwanese Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 180 F

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

I’m not sure why I still have a few Butiki teas that I haven’t tried yet, even though I bought them in July. This one is tightly rolled with a surprising amount of stems attached. The color ranges from caramel to dark chocolate, and it pretty much just smells like roasty oolong. I steeped mine for 4 minutes at 185 degrees.

Once the tea is brewed, it still has a fairly strong roasty aroma. It also smells creamy and nutty, with a little bit of fruitiness. This is probably my favorite of the roasted oolongs I’ve tried so far, although I’m not sure the genre is for me. The main flavor is roasty with nutty and sweet undertones. I taste a little bit of fruitiness that reminds me of apples, and there’s a lovely lingering sweet aftertaste, not quite honey but nectar perhaps? Overall, quite tasty. :)

Flavors: Apple, Honey, Nectar, Nuts, Roasted, Sweet

Thanks Stacy for a sample of this one. It is really fun to get these samples, especially when they are not something I would have picked out for myself!

So I may have underleafed this one. I know Stacy usually sends exactly one serving in her little sample baggies, but it just really looked like more than 1 tsp to me so I used half. It took forever to steep it enough to get some good strong flavor going but I finally accomplished that. I will use the other half of my sample in my teeny 4oz gaiwan at some later point. Typically heavily oxidized oolongs are not my thing, but this has some impressive fruity and roasty cocoa noted like a fancy black tea might. Very complex and interesting! So glad I got to try it :)

Cameron B.

Yum, sounds wonderful. And isn’t this the one that she was playing around with a caramel apple version? :D

Stephanie

I think it might be! If so I am VERY EXCITED!

TheTeaFairy

I love this one, it’s already fruity and honey like, I’m pretty sure it will make the perfect base for a caramel apple tea :-)

Cameron B.

I have little to no experience with oolongs, but I loved the oxidized oolong I tried recently and I’m fairly confident I would also love the roasted variety. Yummy!

I’m not working right now so I can afford to have oolong Gungfu sessions in the afternoon, yay!

A Steepster member inspired me to drink this and read my book under a blanket, so that’s what I’m doing! I feel a little guilty though… Cause it’s a beautiful day outside…

How come tea wins over sunshine?

Oh, yeah, that’s right…tea wins over everything!!

So I’m having this beautiful tea. It is medium roasted and I have had it many times, just never logged it.

This one is a leaf hopper bitten tea, so you know it will be sweet! Using 7g in my beautiful Butiki Gaiwan.

The third steep is really the one that starts to give. That’s when the leaves start to unfurl. The difference between the second and the third steep is an explosion of sweetness!

This is all about lightly burnt toast and honey to me. Like really, if I burn my morning toasts a little and melt a bunch of gooey honey on top, this is what I’ll get. I so love that oven roasted quality, and it’s not smokey, not at all. It’s hard to explain, but this tea feels a bit like an alcoholic beverage, it numbs the tongue a little, like pu’erh does sometimes. It’s got nutty and fruity notes as well.

I have so many steeps in front of me… «Near…Far…WhereEeeever you are….My tea will go on, and on….» just sang my inner Celine Dion (oops, the windows are open, sorry neighbour)

TeaTiff

Oh how I miss this tea!! Enjoy a sip for me and a blanket:)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! It’s all your fault TeaTiff!!

TeaTiff

You can blame tea and a blanket on me any day. Sounds so nice!

TheTeaFairy

And don’t forget the book!!! Here, I just dedicated my 7th steep to you dear ;-)

What are you reading?

Cheri

(This is the dream day I want today. Instead, I’m at work and I’m pseudo-gongfu brewing.)

TheTeaFairy

Cheri, I I’m reading Birdman from Mo Hayder, and English author I have just discovered. A pretty intense thriller!

And I feel for you, “pseudo-gongfu at work” lol.

boychik

Looks like you are tea drunk!

TheTeaFairy

Yes!!! I guess I am boychik, alcohol and celine Dion in the same session would be too much to handle in any normal state of mind!!

Cheri

TheTeaFairy, at least I can sort of make it work for me in the office. I get to drink great tea all day long. That’s a bonus! If only I were curled up under a blankie with a really good book. Birdman sounds interesting. I will add it to my list to check out.

chadao

Sounds delicious! I wonder what “gui fei” means. When I was working at Ku Cha in Boulder, we were selling a Gui Fei, but it was a green/flower blooming tea.

inranger

Apparently it means concubine tea and is an uncommon oolong from Taiwan. It’s produced by a unique method: it’s briefly attacked by insects, tea green leaf hoppers. And it get’s it’s name from Yang Guifei – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Guifei

Oolong teas are one of my favorite types… this tops them all!!!

Flavors: Apple, Blackberry, Blueberry, Cacao, Caramel, Cream, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Ginger

I had this tea on my wishlist, and TeaTiff sent it my way in our hepatite swap!
Thanks so much, TeaTiff!!
This tea is everything I thought it would be and more…. it’s fruity, with honey goodness…and I can even taste the almond that’s mentioned in the description. The spun sugar aftertaste is beyond delightful.
I’m only on my second steep and I’m sure I’ll get a few more out of this one….
So, so yummy!!

TeaTiff

Yay, glad you like this one!

I really really disliked this one last time I tried it. Per Stacy’s suggestion, I steeped at a lower temp this time around.

I made this gongfu style, 2.5 tsp for 5 oz with a 5 second initial rinse. I ended up drinking this tea over the course of three days, ultimately getting somewhere between 15 and 20 steeps. I never did grow to like it. I just wanted to see how many steeps I could get out of it. I took notes on the first four steeps, but after that the cups were so similar that it seemed redundant to take detailed notes.

first steep – 180f, 30 seconds
It’s hard to find the right word for the smell. Mineral, maybe. It tastes of dirt and that mineral(?) note. There’s almost a saltiness to it. The mouthfeel is heavy.

second steep – 180f, 40 seconds
While the first steep was very pale, this one is a deep orange. It has the same earthy mineral scent as the first steep. Just like the color, the scent is deeper in this steep. The flavor is about the same.

third steep – 185f, 60 seconds
This steep is actually slightly paler than the second one, almost a honey color. The smell is earthy now. That mineral/rock note has scurried off from the scent. Aaand apparently it ran right into the flavor. Ugh. Somebody recently asked on the message board what a mineral note tastes like and the first response was “go lick a rock”. Yup, this tastes like licking a rock. Or, more accurately, what I imagine a rock would taste like. With the exception of thoroughly washed fruits, veggies, tubers, and legumes, I make it a general rule not to lick things that come off the ground. So there’s that.

fourth steep – 180f, 30 seconds
This steep is SO much better! More earthy than rocky, with a hint of sweetness at the end. It’s actually better when it cools to room temperature. It takes on a more toasty character with a smooth mouthfeel and pleasantly fresh aftertaste.

I found that the brew consistently came out best at a 30 second steep between 180-190f. The flavor was always earthy and rocky, but it got smoother over time. It did grow on me but never quite got to “delicious”. I am very impressed by the high number of good steeps that I got out of it. No rating because I’m not sure how to split the difference between blegh taste and impressive steepability. Also because I think someone who enjoys dirt & rock notes would totally enjoy this tea.

Nicole

“dirt and rock notes” LOL

Very nice review!

I love cupboard surprises! This little one was lurking in the back of the kitchen cupboard.

And it is good.

Maybe not blow me away good, but seriously solid.

Sweet honey, a bit of sweet and fruity lychee essence, and a very mellow toastiness — in a toasted nut kind of way — all wrapped inside this mildly thick, syrupy-like liquor.

Mmm.

This is one of my favorites from Butiki; I don’t know why I’ve never logged it before. It’s nice and lightly roasty—usually I like my oolongs to be super roasty, but for some reason this one ticks all my boxes even though it’s not. It’s light and sweet, with a wonderfully fruity aftertaste—maybe apple, I guess. And that leafy oolong floral note that ruins so many teas for me is happily absent. I’ve been hoarding what’s left of the ounce I got in my first Butiki order (which was over a year ago at this point), but I’m trying to stop doing that—hence this cup. This is definitely something I’ll reorder in the future.

Jenier order arrived today. I’d forgotten they did that, but when the very first thing I see when I open the box is a small envelope with my name on it and containing a little hand-written ‘hope you enjoy, thanks for your order’ card, I get a happy! Also, I bought another 50g pouch of their golden monkey, but the actual pouch weighs 120g. They did the same thing last time when I also bought a supposedly 50g pouch of golden monkey. I’m definitely not complaining, but… they must have really poor scales in Scotland.

This is an older one I found in my Haven’t Yet Posted About Box (which needs a better name) and it was Sil who shared it with me.

I don’t know anything at all about this oolong, so I had to look it up. Apparently it’s had leafhoppers. Isn’t that the same thing that happens to Oriental Beauty? I’m not too keen on OB these days, actually, but there can be several other factors involved with that. It would be silly to expect immediate dislike just because they have leafhoppers in common. It could be loads of other things that make OB not really appeal to me.

This one looks darker than OB. Has it been roasted a little bit? It smells like it has. It also smells extraordinarily like peaches! And a little nutty as well, but mostly peach or some similar stone fruit.

Okay, this is already seeming much better than OB! Isn’t it strange how the more conscious you are to NOT compare with a specific other kind of tea, the more you find it impossible to avoid it?

At first when I sip I get a borderline sharp bitterness. Perhaps I oversteeped it just a little bit? This note turns into a sort of coal-y thing on the aftertaste, like burnt toast where it has been attempted to scrape the worst of the burn away. This, for me, is the top note.

Underneath that it’s gone all fruity. Again I’m reminded mostly of peaches or similar, but I’m not really getting this honey note that the description mentions. Perhaps that’s the note that is coming out as peaches for me.

The bottom note is very fleeting. It’s only sort of there if you squint, but if I really pay attention I can find a whiff of something nutty there. Just for a moment before the other notes completely takes over. I can’t find it on every sip no matter how closely I pay attention, but every once in a while, there it is. I’m thinking of a relatively sweet-flavoured nut like almond or hazelnut. I associate those with a modicum of sweetness. (Walnut is more sort of tree-like for me and not sweet at all. I’m not sufficiently familiar with other types of nuts to be able to categorise them. I’m not much of a nut-eater really. I’m merely a nut. :p )

This is rather nice, and not like OB at all. That just goes to prove that it’s not the leafhopper effect that makes OB less interesting for me.

Thank you so much Courtney for sending me that one.
I love it, this is typically the teas I appreciate : creamy, buttery and with touches of honey and herbal hints.
I prefer it as it cools because the buttery note and the mellowness of the tea is renforced.

Thanks again Courtney

Courtney

I’m glad you enjoyed this one. :)