The Killer’s Vanilla

Guayusa Tea
Lavender, Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Guayusa, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Spearmint, Organic Vanilla Beans
Mint, Vanilla, Cream, Earth, Spearmint, Citrus, Lavender, Rainforest, Wet Earth, Floral, Flowers
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Don’t let the name fool you, this guayusa is subtle and calming but it is deceptive in its high caffeine content which creates a relaxed yet alert feeling. Lavender, mint, and vanilla are well balanced and come together for a light and earthy treat. Add a little sugar and the flavors come to life. The creamy vanilla, gentle mint, and relaxing lavender mingle and fight for attention but ultimately the vanilla is the strongest. This guayusa was inspired by a song that we adore, The Killer’s Vanilla by Amon Tobin, one of our favorite artists to listen to while blending tea. For more information on the naming of this guayusa check out our blog: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2012/08/behind-name-killers-vanilla-edition.html

Ingredients: Organic Guayusa, Organic Spearmint, Lavender Flower, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Pure Ground Vanilla Beans (No Fillers), Natural Flavoring

Recommended Brew Time: 6 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of guayusa for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (Boiling)

For more information about this guayusa, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

My first Butiki Teas tea. I was still so tired this morning I thought it’d be a good time to try this one out. I’ve never had a guayusa before but a non-jittery caffeine boost is what I needed. Today we were in for question and answer sessions so I wanted to be alert. It did make me more alert but I still got a little jittery, though it could also be that I was nervous to be interviewed. The effect was not long lasting for me today I got sooo tired in the afternoon I thought I might actually fall asleep in the hallway.

The flavor was a nice balanced blend of vanilla mint, the lavender was not noticeable much for me. I liked it, made me think of cookies and cupcakes… Mmm.

Well I had a whole thing written up about this. I clicked “save” and got an error page. I like the content on this site but I get these error pages a lot, it’s kind of annoying.

I’m gonna summarize what I wrote before rather than try to reconstruct it.

Summary:
- Vanilla/nutty taste, minty finish and aftertaste that is very nice and refreshing.
- I was a little concerned the caffeine might be too much for me – since coffee often leaves me feeling jittery, and I had read this was more like coffee than teas in terms of that. Too me it felt comparable to a black tea, didn’t leave me jittery at all.

Really enjoyed this.

This is the fifth Butiki guayusa that I’ve tried. I’ve been a bit hesitant to try this one, as I detest lavender (especially the smell). I shouldn’t have been worried. It tasted very smooth, I couldn’t detect the lavender, and there wasn’t even a hint of the grassiness that guayusas are known for. Just a nice, almost creamy taste. This is a good combination of flavours. I like mint, but if you don’t, don’t worry, it’s not overpowering here.

I way over-steeped my tea as I’m packing to move and got distracted, so I had it after it had steeped for 20+ min.

First tea of the day, and this has grown on me since I first got it. Either I’m getting more used to the earthy guayusa or it’s mellowed out over time. I wouldn’t really call this a ‘vanilla’ tea, because I find the mint more prominent a flavour in the blend, but it is still definitely present in a creamy candy mint sort of way. It actually reminds me a little of Santa’s Secret with the way that flavour is done. The earthiness and almost savoury note of the guayusa makes this much more of a breakfast-time tea than a dessert tea, though. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed much of the lavender except in a general floral note occasionally, but maybe all the little pieces of lavender have fell to the bottom of my bag and I’ll get a really lavender-based last couple of cups. I added a pinch of sugar and it did bring out the vanilla more but not to the point where I’d say it’s the strongest flavour. Then again, mint is a much stronger flavour in general or at least it is to me. As always, I’m not complaining, because I’m not a huge fan of vanilla. I enjoyed this a lot more than I used to, but it’s not one of my Butiki favourites.

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I did not read the ingredients list prior to brewing up the sample someone had sent me of this tea many moons ago….

So I didn’t notice that it had guayasa in it…I was getting some sort of chamomile-like scent, not sure where that came from, but I didn’t care for it. I guess though I love the scent of vanilla+lavender, I could do without the taste.

Cool to try an old tea from my wish list, especially one that no longer exists!

PS – oh hey there. :)

Indigobloom

You’re here! welcome back :)

My mom actually asked to drink tea with me last night… this doesn’t happen.
She likes caramel, cherry, and vanilla. Therefore, I chose a vanilla tea because I haven’t had a good one yet and I owned a Butiki one :)
Here’s what I will say about this tea:
1 I wish I could try it fresh
2 I approve
3 My mom wants more… no one tell her, but that isn’t happening

TeaBrat

Poor Mom!

I received a sample of this from Carol Who. I do like vanilla tea, but this is the first time I’ve tried Guayusa. I thought it was a black tea before I brewed it, but now it looks like a dark herbal tea and smells like mint and vanilla. It also tastes like a mint tea. It has more of a plant taste than mint tea, but not much more. The vanilla is more subtle than I would like, but it is good. I doubt I would buy this, but it’s good. I don’t know if I like the idea of a tea that tastes like mint containing caffeine, though… I would only drink this as an alternative to a tea with caffeine, so that makes this tea a bit more impractical.

Flavors: Mint, Vanilla

I have never had a guayusa tea before, so I’m not exactly sure how correct my impressions will be here. I really liked what I think was the base flavor here, kind of reminds me of the outdoorsy (woody? leaf pile-y?) qualities of mate or honeybush without the medicinal quality you sometimes get in rooibos. I was expecting it to have a tinge of dirt flavor when I was reading all these people saying “earth” because earthy to me means dirt—-not exactly in a bad way. The vanilla was light and creamy here, and the mint was more of an afterthought that made it seem refreshing.

I would choose this tea on a lazy weekend morning as opposed to a busy weekday. This feels like the kind of thing to wake up your mind (to chat with friends, read a book, etc.) but didn’t make my body necessarily feel energized. I’m expecting that the Blackberry Lime flavor of Butiki’s guayusa will go more in that direction.

Flavors: Cream, Mint, Vanilla

Lilysmom

I’ve never tried this, but am tempted when I read comments that it tastes of cream mint and vanilla. What scares me are the comparisons to wood, leaf-piles and earth / dirt! Those flavours never sound good to me!

The Cookie Lady

That’s what I was afraid of, as well. The little bit of base flavor I found was really pleasant. I’d be happy to send you some if you’d like to try it!

Lilysmom

Thank you, that is very kind of you! It’s ok tho, I am in Canada, and I know postage to send to and fro is pretty pricey! Thank you tho!

Kittenna

Earthy here is definitely different from the earthy that I find in some pu’erhs (which can literally mean, dirt tasting.) I don’t mind the base, but still prefer regular tea. Blackberry lime, at least in the first infusion, is super juicy and fruity, and the earthiness is fairly masked. It’s pretty delicious.

I didn’t read the description very carefully when I ordered this one…I thought it was just vanilla flavored, so the mint was a surprise! It also has an interesting herbal scent that I don’t really care for. Mint is the predominant flavor in my cup, but the vanilla is definitely present as well. There’s also an interesting earthy undertone which I’m guessing must be coming from the guayusa base. An interesting blend overall, but I don’t think I would re-purchase.

Flavors: Earth, Spearmint, Vanilla

Cheri

I’d forgotten this had mint in it the first time I went to have it, too. I quite like it.

Thanks TTTTB for this tea!

I’m enjoying the tea. It’s more complex than I thought it would be. I didn’t look at the ingredients before brewing. I was surprised about the lavender . The spearmint goes well with the vanilla. I like a change from peppermint to spearmint . Not bad, not the greatest ever.