The Killer’s Vanilla

Guayusa Tea
Lavender, Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Guayusa, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Spearmint, Organic Vanilla Beans
Cream, Lavender, Mint, Rainforest, Spearmint, Vanilla, Wet Earth, Floral, Earth, Flowers
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Don’t let the name fool you, this guayusa is subtle and calming but it is deceptive in its high caffeine content which creates a relaxed yet alert feeling. Lavender, mint, and vanilla are well balanced and come together for a light and earthy treat. Add a little sugar and the flavors come to life. The creamy vanilla, gentle mint, and relaxing lavender mingle and fight for attention but ultimately the vanilla is the strongest. This guayusa was inspired by a song that we adore, The Killer’s Vanilla by Amon Tobin, one of our favorite artists to listen to while blending tea. For more information on the naming of this guayusa check out our blog: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2012/08/behind-name-killers-vanilla-edition.html

Ingredients: Organic Guayusa, Organic Spearmint, Lavender Flower, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Pure Ground Vanilla Beans (No Fillers), Natural Flavoring

Recommended Brew Time: 6 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of guayusa for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (Boiling)

For more information about this guayusa, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

My first Butiki Teas tea. I was still so tired this morning I thought it’d be a good time to try this one out. I’ve never had a guayusa before but a non-jittery caffeine boost is what I needed. Today we were in for question and answer sessions so I wanted to be alert. It did make me more alert but I still got a little jittery, though it could also be that I was nervous to be interviewed. The effect was not long lasting for me today I got sooo tired in the afternoon I thought I might actually fall asleep in the hallway.

The flavor was a nice balanced blend of vanilla mint, the lavender was not noticeable much for me. I liked it, made me think of cookies and cupcakes… Mmm.

Well I had a whole thing written up about this. I clicked “save” and got an error page. I like the content on this site but I get these error pages a lot, it’s kind of annoying.

I’m gonna summarize what I wrote before rather than try to reconstruct it.

Summary:
- Vanilla/nutty taste, minty finish and aftertaste that is very nice and refreshing.
- I was a little concerned the caffeine might be too much for me – since coffee often leaves me feeling jittery, and I had read this was more like coffee than teas in terms of that. Too me it felt comparable to a black tea, didn’t leave me jittery at all.

Really enjoyed this.

This is the fifth Butiki guayusa that I’ve tried. I’ve been a bit hesitant to try this one, as I detest lavender (especially the smell). I shouldn’t have been worried. It tasted very smooth, I couldn’t detect the lavender, and there wasn’t even a hint of the grassiness that guayusas are known for. Just a nice, almost creamy taste. This is a good combination of flavours. I like mint, but if you don’t, don’t worry, it’s not overpowering here.

I way over-steeped my tea as I’m packing to move and got distracted, so I had it after it had steeped for 20+ min.

1945 tasting notes

Much thanks to Sil for providing me with so much of this one, and to VariaTEA for passing it along from Sil to me! I’ve been curious about this one for quite some time but wary about ordering it because I often see it described as “Good but not necessarily one you’d want to have around in any sort of quantity”.

However, making it up this morning/afternoon for a bit of an energy boost before work (I’m working a closing/overnight cleaning shift today so it’ll be a fairly long night) I’m really enjoying this! There are a lot of interesting things going on in my cup, but in a way that really ties together.

On the whole, this is a rich vanilla tea with a fresh guayusa undertone. Thanks to something Courtney said in a tasting note once, I always associate the flavour of guayusa with “rain forests” now – and that’s what this is! Vanilla and fresh, outdoorsy rain forest tea. However, there are layers to it: within that vanilla flavour you can pick out notes of the lavender which isn’t anywhere near too floral, as well as the mint which is just present enough.

It’s soft but flavourful and definitely enjoyable. I’m not so sure yet whether I’d want to have this around all the time, after all I have some great guayusa/mate options stocked already, but I liked it and Sil has kindly given me more than enough to play around with so that I can enjoy several cups before deciding whether this’ll be a restock.

Flavors: Cream, Lavender, Mint, Rainforest, Spearmint, Vanilla, Wet Earth

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML
Cheri

I bought a small amount of this. I love it, but it’s not one I want all the time. It’s more of a comforting energy burst for me than an every day kind of tea. Or even every week kind of tea. That said, it’s really yummy.

glad you’re enjoying it. guyablahblahblah and i don’t get along :)

This is a nice Saturday morning tea. I don’t know that I would want to do this during the week, because even though it’s guayusa and chock full of energy, this blend is a relaxing Saturday (or Sunday) morning mug of tea.

I love spearmint. It’s my favorite mint. I’m really glad that’s the mint in this tea because it’s perfect with the vanilla and lavender. I love how the lavender is just barely there, but it’s definitely there if you know what you’re tasting. Lavender is kind of subtle like that.

(I had a Blue Magic Lavender beer last night. There’s a surprisingly good use of lavender. As a lover of lavender, I had to try it. It’s lighter than I often drink, but it’s a really good summertime sitting in the beer garden kind of beer. If you’re in Michigan, and you enjoy lavender, I highly recommend this beer by Right Brain. Now back to the tea.)

The vanilla. At first, I wasn’t sure it was there, but I was definitely getting a creamy. And then it was there. Perfectly balanced with everything else, and the more I drink it, the more prominent it becomes.

I added a little sugar, just a touch, part way through the mug, since Stacy suggests that with this tea. She sure knows what she’s talking about. When Stacy says to add a little bit of sugar to really bring the flavors to the forefront, add that sugar. Just a little tiny bit (less than 1/4t for a 15 oz mug) and I now have The Killer’s Vanilla dancing in my mouth.

I’m also listening to the music that this tea is named after. I’ve never listened to Amon Tobin before. Thanks for sharing this, Stacy. I will have to add an Amon Tobin playlist for working to and try this out. It’s definitely intrigued me, and if the rest is like this, it’ll great for working to.

Thank you, Stacy from Butiki Teas, for blending such awesome teas. And thank you to mj1851 for recommending this one to me. You’re absolutely right that this is a great tea.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 15 OZ / 443 ML
TheTeaFairy

Spearmint and Amon Tobin, yes please :-)
This is one of Butiki teas I haven’t tried yet, for some reason i never felt the attraction. I will for sure gave it a shot on next order.

Cheri

At least get a sample of it. I only got an ounce so I don’t really have enough to share this time. It is really nice.

This morning it feels like the only thing that could wake me up is a roundhouse kick to the face a nice cup of guayasa. The enigmatic mj1851 sent me this bad boy and thanks to her, my day can be more Brie from desperate housewives working in the garden, and less Plants vs Zombies.

So after falling asleep at 2 am, waking up at 4:30 am to a sick baby ( aw :( ), I finally get my first cup of tea in.

I normally really dislike lavender, but in this it’s saying “Hey Virginia! I like your hair!” as opposed to the usual “Virginia, let me suffocate you in my pungent vapors”. For the most part though , vanilla and mint are the most prominent flavours, with a tiny hint of – dare I say it? Cannabis.

boychik

Poor baby and poor you. Hope baby feels better soon

Terri HarpLady

I hope baby is better this morning, & I hope you get some rest.
My experience with this tea was similar. I was sure I would hate it, lol, wanted to try it, but kept putting it off.
It really is not bad!

OK…so I have to say upfront that I’ve been curious about this tea for awhile. Cavocorax sent me a generous sample awhile back, but I’ve been in an avoidance pattern for weeks (months?). There is some part of me that was sure this would be yucko, because I just don’t really like lavender in my tea.

So guess what? It’s actually no bad! The vanilla aroma is especially nice, & the lavender is not particularly noticeable. Probably not something I’d keep in my cupboard, but worth trying. I drank it hot, & there is also some in the fridge, so that I can try it chilled.

Sipdown 298

VariaTEA

I was also surprised by this blend. I found it nice though, like you, I doubt I would ever stock it.

Terri HarpLady

I also chilled some of it, & it was ok that way too.

Another early start at work, another guayusa to get me through. At the moment this one and Good Morning Sunshine are my go-to guayusas, though I still haven’t tried Cider and I haven’t had Blackberry Lime for a couple of weeks…

Still not picking up the additional flavours in this one, but that could be the timolino’s fault? I really have to sort out trying this in a proper mug to maybe negate the tinny taste. Good Morning Sunshine is far more blatant with its citrusy flavour and I do love that.

I’m also super excited because I got some more of Monstrositea’s masala chai. It was such a dreamy blend and I’m so excited for another rainy day off so I can relive it. Though of course I’m also anxious that I’ve overhyped my memories…

1932 tasting notes

Hello Steepster! How I have missed you and tea this past week. I had friends visiting from out of town and that left very little time to enjoy tea, with the exception of some matcha quickly whipped up in milk to share with my friend and some Corn tea when we went for sushi. Now my friends have parted which is sad but it means I can get back to enjoying some tasty, tasty cuppas, starting with this one, courtesy of Sil (thank you!!).

This package of tea is actually meant to go to Roswell Strange but I figured neither would mind if I stole a little bit for myself. So, now, as I eat breakfast and watch training videos for my new job (Yay for getting hired! Boo for having to go back to retail work, but yay for having an income again!). The last cup I tried of this was surprisingly delicious with amazing notes of vanilla and a hint of delicious lavender that was all tied together with a little minty bow. Today, though it is still enjoyable, I am not loving this one as much. The vanilla is there but not as much as I would like it to be while the mint and guayasa are really fighting to be the main attraction. Lavender appears as a little bit of spice as opposed to being more floral like the last cup. Good, but not something I need to stock. I am glad I got to try it once again though.

OMGsrsly

Yay new job! :) Yeah, retail isn’t always the best, but income is delightful.

Sami Kelsh

Yay employment, though! high fives

VariaTEA

Thanks guys. And income definitely is delightful. A retail job is better than no job and it is something I can continue to do when I go back to school in the Fall. Plus, I will be working with a friend which should be nice.

Roswell Strange

Hooray new job!

Butiki Teas

Congrats on the job! :)

I tried this cold brewed, but only brewed a cup’s worth because I wasn’t sure I’d like it cold and I didn’t want to risk wasting too much of the prrreeeccciooouussss. I totally regret that decision now. This is excellent cold brewed! It’s completely refreshing. It does taste slightly different than when it’s hot. The mint comes through stronger, with the lavender close behind. You lose a bit of the vanilla. I’m still a huge fan though! I brewed this for 10-11 hours in the refrigerator. 2.25 tsp/12 oz filtered water.

Iced 8 min or more 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cheri

I’m going to order some of this, so I’ll have to try it, and the blackberry lime as well.