The Killer’s Vanilla

Guayusa Tea
Lavender, Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Guayusa, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Spearmint, Organic Vanilla Beans
Mint, Vanilla, Cream, Earth, Spearmint, Citrus, Lavender, Rainforest, Wet Earth, Floral, Flowers
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Don’t let the name fool you, this guayusa is subtle and calming but it is deceptive in its high caffeine content which creates a relaxed yet alert feeling. Lavender, mint, and vanilla are well balanced and come together for a light and earthy treat. Add a little sugar and the flavors come to life. The creamy vanilla, gentle mint, and relaxing lavender mingle and fight for attention but ultimately the vanilla is the strongest. This guayusa was inspired by a song that we adore, The Killer’s Vanilla by Amon Tobin, one of our favorite artists to listen to while blending tea. For more information on the naming of this guayusa check out our blog: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2012/08/behind-name-killers-vanilla-edition.html

Ingredients: Organic Guayusa, Organic Spearmint, Lavender Flower, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Pure Ground Vanilla Beans (No Fillers), Natural Flavoring

Recommended Brew Time: 6 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of guayusa for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (Boiling)

For more information about this guayusa, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

My first Butiki Teas tea. I was still so tired this morning I thought it’d be a good time to try this one out. I’ve never had a guayusa before but a non-jittery caffeine boost is what I needed. Today we were in for question and answer sessions so I wanted to be alert. It did make me more alert but I still got a little jittery, though it could also be that I was nervous to be interviewed. The effect was not long lasting for me today I got sooo tired in the afternoon I thought I might actually fall asleep in the hallway.

The flavor was a nice balanced blend of vanilla mint, the lavender was not noticeable much for me. I liked it, made me think of cookies and cupcakes… Mmm.

Well I had a whole thing written up about this. I clicked “save” and got an error page. I like the content on this site but I get these error pages a lot, it’s kind of annoying.

I’m gonna summarize what I wrote before rather than try to reconstruct it.

Summary:
- Vanilla/nutty taste, minty finish and aftertaste that is very nice and refreshing.
- I was a little concerned the caffeine might be too much for me – since coffee often leaves me feeling jittery, and I had read this was more like coffee than teas in terms of that. Too me it felt comparable to a black tea, didn’t leave me jittery at all.

Really enjoyed this.

This is the fifth Butiki guayusa that I’ve tried. I’ve been a bit hesitant to try this one, as I detest lavender (especially the smell). I shouldn’t have been worried. It tasted very smooth, I couldn’t detect the lavender, and there wasn’t even a hint of the grassiness that guayusas are known for. Just a nice, almost creamy taste. This is a good combination of flavours. I like mint, but if you don’t, don’t worry, it’s not overpowering here.

I way over-steeped my tea as I’m packing to move and got distracted, so I had it after it had steeped for 20+ min.

My mom actually asked to drink tea with me last night… this doesn’t happen.
She likes caramel, cherry, and vanilla. Therefore, I chose a vanilla tea because I haven’t had a good one yet and I owned a Butiki one :)
Here’s what I will say about this tea:
1 I wish I could try it fresh
2 I approve
3 My mom wants more… no one tell her, but that isn’t happening

TeaBrat

Poor Mom!

I received a sample of this from Carol Who. I do like vanilla tea, but this is the first time I’ve tried Guayusa. I thought it was a black tea before I brewed it, but now it looks like a dark herbal tea and smells like mint and vanilla. It also tastes like a mint tea. It has more of a plant taste than mint tea, but not much more. The vanilla is more subtle than I would like, but it is good. I doubt I would buy this, but it’s good. I don’t know if I like the idea of a tea that tastes like mint containing caffeine, though… I would only drink this as an alternative to a tea with caffeine, so that makes this tea a bit more impractical.

Flavors: Mint, Vanilla

I have never had a guayusa tea before, so I’m not exactly sure how correct my impressions will be here. I really liked what I think was the base flavor here, kind of reminds me of the outdoorsy (woody? leaf pile-y?) qualities of mate or honeybush without the medicinal quality you sometimes get in rooibos. I was expecting it to have a tinge of dirt flavor when I was reading all these people saying “earth” because earthy to me means dirt—-not exactly in a bad way. The vanilla was light and creamy here, and the mint was more of an afterthought that made it seem refreshing.

I would choose this tea on a lazy weekend morning as opposed to a busy weekday. This feels like the kind of thing to wake up your mind (to chat with friends, read a book, etc.) but didn’t make my body necessarily feel energized. I’m expecting that the Blackberry Lime flavor of Butiki’s guayusa will go more in that direction.

Flavors: Cream, Mint, Vanilla

Lilysmom

I’ve never tried this, but am tempted when I read comments that it tastes of cream mint and vanilla. What scares me are the comparisons to wood, leaf-piles and earth / dirt! Those flavours never sound good to me!

The Cookie Lady

That’s what I was afraid of, as well. The little bit of base flavor I found was really pleasant. I’d be happy to send you some if you’d like to try it!

Lilysmom

Thank you, that is very kind of you! It’s ok tho, I am in Canada, and I know postage to send to and fro is pretty pricey! Thank you tho!

Kittenna

Earthy here is definitely different from the earthy that I find in some pu’erhs (which can literally mean, dirt tasting.) I don’t mind the base, but still prefer regular tea. Blackberry lime, at least in the first infusion, is super juicy and fruity, and the earthiness is fairly masked. It’s pretty delicious.

I didn’t read the description very carefully when I ordered this one…I thought it was just vanilla flavored, so the mint was a surprise! It also has an interesting herbal scent that I don’t really care for. Mint is the predominant flavor in my cup, but the vanilla is definitely present as well. There’s also an interesting earthy undertone which I’m guessing must be coming from the guayusa base. An interesting blend overall, but I don’t think I would re-purchase.

Flavors: Earth, Spearmint, Vanilla

Cheri

I’d forgotten this had mint in it the first time I went to have it, too. I quite like it.

Thanks TTTTB for this tea!

I’m enjoying the tea. It’s more complex than I thought it would be. I didn’t look at the ingredients before brewing. I was surprised about the lavender . The spearmint goes well with the vanilla. I like a change from peppermint to spearmint . Not bad, not the greatest ever.

This same came from NayLynn. I haven’t tried any of Butiki’s guayusa blends, or any guayusa blend in general, but I’ve been curious about them since most of the flavor sound really good. Visually, this looks like flaky crumbled dry leaves. They’re a muted green/grey color. I confess, I was a little sad when I noticed the lavender buds mixed in, as I didn’t realize there was lavender in this one. Ah well. Steeped a teaspoon and a half of leaf for 6 minutes in boiling water.

This one is just okay for me. I don’t taste a lot of lavender, which is very good in my opinion. The lavender mostly comes off as citrusy in this blend instead of heavily floral. Mostly what I taste is the mint, but even it is quite mild. I could use more vanilla here. Overall, this is a very mild minty herbal with a few other light flavors.

Flavors: Citrus, Lavender, Mint, Vanilla

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Kirkoneill1988

the name of the tea does not sound right. lol it sounds like someone would kill for a cup of this tea :P

Much thanks to Sil for providing me with so much of this one, and to VariaTEA for passing it along from Sil to me! I’ve been curious about this one for quite some time but wary about ordering it because I often see it described as “Good but not necessarily one you’d want to have around in any sort of quantity”.

However, making it up this morning/afternoon for a bit of an energy boost before work (I’m working a closing/overnight cleaning shift today so it’ll be a fairly long night) I’m really enjoying this! There are a lot of interesting things going on in my cup, but in a way that really ties together.

On the whole, this is a rich vanilla tea with a fresh guayusa undertone. Thanks to something Courtney said in a tasting note once, I always associate the flavour of guayusa with “rain forests” now – and that’s what this is! Vanilla and fresh, outdoorsy rain forest tea. However, there are layers to it: within that vanilla flavour you can pick out notes of the lavender which isn’t anywhere near too floral, as well as the mint which is just present enough.

It’s soft but flavourful and definitely enjoyable. I’m not so sure yet whether I’d want to have this around all the time, after all I have some great guayusa/mate options stocked already, but I liked it and Sil has kindly given me more than enough to play around with so that I can enjoy several cups before deciding whether this’ll be a restock.

Flavors: Cream, Lavender, Mint, Rainforest, Spearmint, Vanilla, Wet Earth

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML
Cheri

I bought a small amount of this. I love it, but it’s not one I want all the time. It’s more of a comforting energy burst for me than an every day kind of tea. Or even every week kind of tea. That said, it’s really yummy.

glad you’re enjoying it. guyablahblahblah and i don’t get along :)