The Killer’s Vanilla

Guayusa Tea
Lavender, Natural Flavors (Vegan), Organic Guayusa, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Spearmint, Organic Vanilla Beans
Cream, Mint, Vanilla, Earth, Spearmint, Citrus, Lavender, Rainforest, Wet Earth, Floral, Flowers
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Don’t let the name fool you, this guayusa is subtle and calming but it is deceptive in its high caffeine content which creates a relaxed yet alert feeling. Lavender, mint, and vanilla are well balanced and come together for a light and earthy treat. Add a little sugar and the flavors come to life. The creamy vanilla, gentle mint, and relaxing lavender mingle and fight for attention but ultimately the vanilla is the strongest. This guayusa was inspired by a song that we adore, The Killer’s Vanilla by Amon Tobin, one of our favorite artists to listen to while blending tea. For more information on the naming of this guayusa check out our blog: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2012/08/behind-name-killers-vanilla-edition.html

Ingredients: Organic Guayusa, Organic Spearmint, Lavender Flower, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Pure Ground Vanilla Beans (No Fillers), Natural Flavoring

Recommended Brew Time: 6 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of guayusa for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (Boiling)

For more information about this guayusa, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

OK…so I have to say upfront that I’ve been curious about this tea for awhile. Cavocorax sent me a generous sample awhile back, but I’ve been in an avoidance pattern for weeks (months?). There is some part of me that was sure this would be yucko, because I just don’t really like lavender in my tea.

So guess what? It’s actually no bad! The vanilla aroma is especially nice, & the lavender is not particularly noticeable. Probably not something I’d keep in my cupboard, but worth trying. I drank it hot, & there is also some in the fridge, so that I can try it chilled.

Sipdown 298

VariaTEA

I was also surprised by this blend. I found it nice though, like you, I doubt I would ever stock it.

Terri HarpLady

I also chilled some of it, & it was ok that way too.

Another early start at work, another guayusa to get me through. At the moment this one and Good Morning Sunshine are my go-to guayusas, though I still haven’t tried Cider and I haven’t had Blackberry Lime for a couple of weeks…

Still not picking up the additional flavours in this one, but that could be the timolino’s fault? I really have to sort out trying this in a proper mug to maybe negate the tinny taste. Good Morning Sunshine is far more blatant with its citrusy flavour and I do love that.

I’m also super excited because I got some more of Monstrositea’s masala chai. It was such a dreamy blend and I’m so excited for another rainy day off so I can relive it. Though of course I’m also anxious that I’ve overhyped my memories…

2068 tasting notes

Hello Steepster! How I have missed you and tea this past week. I had friends visiting from out of town and that left very little time to enjoy tea, with the exception of some matcha quickly whipped up in milk to share with my friend and some Corn tea when we went for sushi. Now my friends have parted which is sad but it means I can get back to enjoying some tasty, tasty cuppas, starting with this one, courtesy of Sil (thank you!!).

This package of tea is actually meant to go to Roswell Strange but I figured neither would mind if I stole a little bit for myself. So, now, as I eat breakfast and watch training videos for my new job (Yay for getting hired! Boo for having to go back to retail work, but yay for having an income again!). The last cup I tried of this was surprisingly delicious with amazing notes of vanilla and a hint of delicious lavender that was all tied together with a little minty bow. Today, though it is still enjoyable, I am not loving this one as much. The vanilla is there but not as much as I would like it to be while the mint and guayasa are really fighting to be the main attraction. Lavender appears as a little bit of spice as opposed to being more floral like the last cup. Good, but not something I need to stock. I am glad I got to try it once again though.

OMGsrsly

Yay new job! :) Yeah, retail isn’t always the best, but income is delightful.

Sami Kelsh

Yay employment, though! high fives

VariaTEA

Thanks guys. And income definitely is delightful. A retail job is better than no job and it is something I can continue to do when I go back to school in the Fall. Plus, I will be working with a friend which should be nice.

Roswell Strange

Hooray new job!

Butiki Teas

Congrats on the job! :)

I tried this cold brewed, but only brewed a cup’s worth because I wasn’t sure I’d like it cold and I didn’t want to risk wasting too much of the prrreeeccciooouussss. I totally regret that decision now. This is excellent cold brewed! It’s completely refreshing. It does taste slightly different than when it’s hot. The mint comes through stronger, with the lavender close behind. You lose a bit of the vanilla. I’m still a huge fan though! I brewed this for 10-11 hours in the refrigerator. 2.25 tsp/12 oz filtered water.

Iced 8 min or more 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Cheri

I’m going to order some of this, so I’ll have to try it, and the blackberry lime as well.

Many thanks to kaylee for sending me this in a swap. This is my second time trying a guayusa tea, and while I’m still adjusting to the taste, this was quite interesting.

I followed the steeping instructions on the package (1.5 tsp, 8 oz, boiling water, 6 minutes) and came away with a dark amber brew that smelled of vanilla and herbs. I could taste the medicinal-ness of the guayusa in the background, but I swear that I smelled some other flavours that weren’t listed as part of the ingredients: thyme, definitely, and perhaps oregano.

Not quite sure what to make of this. Perhaps it’s the lotus stamens? It’s interesting, I’ll give it that.

AAAARGH I got my tasting note eaten!!!!!

I first had this tea several months ago when I first got it, I think as part of my Black Friday splurge. I was not impressed. In fact, I was so weirded out by the flavor that I’ve avoided retrying it until now.

As usual, I have a better appreciation of this tea once I know what to expect. This is my first guayasa, so I don’t know how much of what I’m tasting is the flavoring and how much is the base. The “vanilla” part of this tea is pretty killer. It’s almost exactly the thick, sweet flavor of vanilla extract. The mint part of this tea is also a killer – in a less auspicious way. It’s pungent, a little too cool. It’s almost sanitary! It tastes more like some kind of cleaner than any kind of flavor you’d want in a food or drink. In addition to those, there’s also a grassy undertone (I think that might be the guayasa) that pushes it even farther to the left of what I was really hoping for.

If this tea had just the vanilla flavoring alone, I’d give it something in the 80’s or the 90’s. However, the mint part is just not enjoyable to me. I know people like this tea, so I know it’s a my-taste thing, but I’m having a hard time imagining someone drinking this and going “Mmm!” Fortunately, it’s not overwhelming enough yet that I don’t think I’ll be able to finish the bag. Yet.

Boiling 6 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML