Khongea Tippy Golden Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

• “Yay, I won the Haiku contest!! The winning Haiku was for this tea. I felt like I should do something to celebrate, so I picked the last of the peaches from my peach tree, made an *amazing* peach...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2485 tasting notes
  • “Having some of this in an effort to try and stick to teas that my tastebuds won't find wonky. I really don't want to waste any of my tea with not being able to taste it. I seem to be ok for...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “Thanks Stacy for providing this *VERY* generous sample! She said this tea was not on her website yet, so with her permission, I will be the first one to review it... I have tried many assams,...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 172 tasting notes
  • “I steeped this one for 4 minutes as recommended today, but I think that's too much for me. This assam is really really assam-y. So strong. Lovely flavour behind the astringency. I'm still...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1165 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

With citrus, oaky, clove, cinnamon, and raw cacao notes, Khongea Golden Tippy Assam is a smooth, rich, and malty tea with a pleasant astringency that lingers. This Assam is stronger than our Premium Taiwanese Assam and originates from the Khongea Estate in the Brahmputra river valley of the Assam region in India. This second flush tea utilizes the P126 Clonal plants that produce a large portion of golden tips and is graded TGFOP (Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe). The Khongea Estate is a member of the Ethical Tea Partnership, which focuses on sustainability and living and working conditions of those working at the tea estate. We recommend experimenting with the 4 and 5 minute brew time range for this tea. At 4 minutes the brew is less astringent yet still flavorful, however, this tea is more complex at the 5 minute range. While supplies last, we will be offering 1 free ounce of Khongea’s Assam Leaf (strong & malty Assam) with every 1 ounce purchase of our Khongea Golden Tippy Assam. Limit 3 ounces of free tea per order.

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4-5 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F degrees (boiling)

For more information, please visit butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Mmmm it was an Assam kinda morning for me. I stayed up late reliving my adolescence watching all of the “Monster of the Week” X-Files eps I could remember on Netflix. Fun times. I love that looking back I discover almost all of my faves were Vince Gilligan-written, surprise surprise. And it made me smile that “Pusher”, which he wrote and has stuck with me for over a decade, actually feels very proto-BBish in ways (the opening scene, Pusher’s speeches).

This smells so good steeping! That satisfying “TEA!” aroma (legacy teas, for me primordial ironically enough), but with a citrusy freshness too. And yeah, I must admit it smells quite a bit like the Dunhill International Superior Milds, the ones in the gorgeous blue box that Elizabeth David pointed to to indicate the color she wanted her enameled cookware to be, back when they still made those. That might sound gross but it’s a high compliment—there was never a more deliciously fresh, grassy-in-a-good-way tobacco. So yes, tobacco, but really really good tobacco, not the musty old man library stuff. I appreciate that this is real Assam, strong tasting, but completely lacks the harshness many Assams have. There’s a wonderful bitterness at the end of each sip, but it’s relatively soft for an Assam and complements the clean mild astringency at the front, with its vague fruit and flowers thing.

I could be wrong but in a way I think I like this more than Andrews and Dunham Tiger Assam. This seems more complex to me, as if it’s perfumed without actually smelling of perfume, if that makes any sense. To me, Tiger Assam is kinda like Double Knit Blend (only not quite as smooth and comforting), something when you just want to taste old skool TEA without puckering and not think much about it but be rewarded anyway. This is more like, sit undistracted and fall down the rabbit hole of your tea cup with all the senses you’re stimulating. Really gorgeous and not the sort of experience I tend to associate with Assams.

I’ve been quite enjoying this one. I find this one is a bit of a mystery, as I’m tasting a lot of things, but this past week or two I’ve been having difficulty pinning down exactly what those tastes are.

I definitely like it more at the five minute range. I think the best way I can describe the five minute steep, is that it goes sort of walnutty. It’s like, take a walnut, sprinkle some cinnamon and cloves on it, and throw on a couple pieces of hay for good measure. It finishes with a woody sort of taste, and as the cup cools, I can then taste the raw cacao notes at the finish as well, whereas I couldn’t really taste that while it’s still piping. Even then, very mildly mind you. The finish is woody with a trace of cacao. If I wasn’t looking for it, I’d probably have missed it.

Along with how it’s difficult to describe how it tastes, it’s also difficult to put a rating on it. I’m not really sure where it stands as a number. However, I know I really like this, and while I wouldn’t order it every time, I’d definitely order it every two or three times. :)

My family is Irish, so I grew up drinking Assam-heavy blends. My mother’s family emigrated from Ireland when she was an adolescent. My father’s side of the family has been here longer, but they may be even bigger tea drinkers. I have a cousin on his side who just turned a year old, and he already takes a cup Barry’s in his bottle both in the morning and at night. “Decaf at night, of course!” defends my aunt, but let’s not get into whether or not this is child abuse…

Anyway, my point was that I love Assam, and this one is now one of my favorites. It’s a little less sweet than the Assams I tend to like most. This one’s strength lies in, well, it’s heartiness and strength. A great cup!

Yay, my Butiki order arrived yesterday. I’ve been wanting to try some different assams and figured Butiki would be a good place to do some experiments. This looks like a good morning tea.

This isn’t one I would drink straight, plain it has a definite briskness and brightness with some pungency in the finish, it seems really assertive for my taste. It’s really good with milk and sugar added and I guess that’s the way most people drink assams anyway. This reminds me a lot of an East Frisian tea.

I enjoyed reading this article this morning on Northern German tea culture. Perhaps I will try preparing my tea like that someday. :)

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
ifjuly

i really enjoyed that article, thanks for sharing it. i didn’t know the why of EF, so it helped clarify that a bit.

what a nice Assam! has beautiful golden tips and infuses quickly since the leaves are quite small. the liquor started out as the most gorgeous golden shade of burnt sienna….then it slowly darkened into this stunning auburn shade of amber. quite red with an orange warmth to it. it was lovely to see this steep!

it reminds me a lot of Grandpa’s Anytime Tea in terms of flavor & color. this was a solid cup and had a rather smooth flavor in my opinion. but nice and full-bodied. also had that cozy graham cracker ‘essence’ floating around somewhere in the back, which most definitely came to the forefront in the second steep. in the first steep, i could have almost sworn i was getting ‘raisinette’ at the end of each sip! then again, my adulerants were brown sugar and soy milk. this tea held up very well to both and turned a lovely shade of caramel.

a very nice Assam. i might just prefer this to their Premium Taiwanese Assam, though i’m not entirely sure. will have to do a side-by-side comparison. but for anyone curious about the taste of Grandpa’s Anytime Tea, try this! ….it has the same lovely flavor and produces a most splendid color.

TheTeaFairy

Oh, I absolutely love this Assam, and yes, the colour is so gorgeous! Is “burnt Sienna” on that colour chart of yours?

pyarkaaloo

Hahah! No it’s not from that crazy color chart with camelback, whole wheat & baguette ;p I remember burnt sienna from my days of yore in childhood, back when I used crayola crayons (64 count)- it was one of the colors that I remember fondly :)

glad u love this tea :D

donkeytiara

oh, now i must order….dang, it’s easy for reviews to spend my money….

I’ve been a bad Steepster friend the last week or so. I haven’t been posting tasting notes, I’m barely reading tasting notes, not keeping up on the forum. I’m sorry. I’m around. Love you guys – I’ve just been in a bit of a “funk” lately. I think I’m sick of winter and have taken hibernation to the next level.
I need to log some of the teas I’ve been drinking so that I can take them out of my cupboard.
Thank you TheTeaFairy for sending this my way.
I like tippy golden teas in general, even though Assam isn’t my favorite. I had a good time with this tea at work yesterday. Not my favorite – but a solid black tea.

Fjellrev

I hope you’ll get out of that funk soon!

TheTeaFairy

Don’t worry, we still feel the love :-)