Organic Japanese Puerh

Earth, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 6 oz / 177 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “Totally forgot to log this last night. I had some with dinner and it was fantastic. That perfect contrast to the amazing steak my other half made with a wine sauce and roasted potatoes and beans. ...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5374 tasting notes
  • “Mmmm, having a cup right now. Recently, I have been on this kick looking for probiotics and fermented foods. I have a few food intolerances (sorbitol & fructose and maybe a few others too that I...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 56 tasting notes
  • “This cup contains a lot of plums tonight. First steep was darker with something that was flirting with coffee (don't do it, tea! Coffee's a jerk). Wet leaves smelled a bit fishy although that did...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 508 tasting notes
  • “Wow! This is crazy good Puerh. If you're someone who loves coffee but can't drink it for whatever reason - this is the tea you need to try. It TASTES like coffee. That was my initial reaction...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Looking for something completely different? Then we highly recommend giving this puerh a try. Our Organic Japanese Puerh originates from the Isokawa region of the Shizuoka prefecture in Japan. This unique tea was invented fairly recently and is made artificially with an organic malted brown rice culture and a combination of first and second flush harvest tea leaves. The leaves are pan fired and fermented for 3-4 days. After that period, a small amount of fresh leaves are added for 2 days. The aroma of the liquor has roasted chestnut notes with a lingering sweetness. This puerh is a strong smooth tea with a drying sweet after taste and buttery quality. Strong notes of roasted chestnuts can be detected. Cacao, tabaco, and brown rice notes are also present with a hint of fruitiness. This tea is somewhat coffee-like but not nearly as strong. This tea is not eligible as a free sample.

Ingredients: Organic Japanese Puerh Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water (or 2.5 grams of tea)
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

Wow, this puerh is really different! There’s no fishyness! It’s not pitch black and strong for the first few steeps – even following the recommended steeping of boiling water for 4 minutes! Butiki’s japanese puerh has some good barley, nutty, brown rice syrup, and coffee. What I found interesting was there was a slight dryness in the first few cups, but it went away with further infusions.
And this tea can resteep very well!

Full review on my blog, the Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/organic-japanese-puerh-from-butiki-teas-tea-review/

TeaBrat

this sounds very interesting!

Stacy over at Butiki Teas is on my mental wavelength.

She should probably have that checked.

Her flare for the unusual rivals even my own. And, boy, was this unusual. I mean that in all the best possible ways I can muster. While it technically shouldn’t be called a pu-erh in the traditional (read: Yunnan-produced) sense, it meets all the character criteria I care about. That being, it actually tastes good. Cocoa was at war with coffee, and chestnuts were the jury and arbiter…er…as far as flavor goes.

Whatever it’s called, I want more of it.

My full feature on it (and other tea/writing adventures) can be found here: http://steepstories.com/2012/11/12/writing-epiphanies-and-japanese-pu-erh/

Unsurprisingly, this reminds me of my beloved genamicha. I love the toasted rice in that tea, and I’m enjoying those flavors here as well. I could swear I’m tasting the faintest hint of seaweed, too, but maybe it’s just my brain taking the connection a little too far. I’m also getting some soy sauce, but there’s a sweet finish. This is quite roasty, but aside from that—and, perhaps, from the depth of texture—I wouldn’t say it’s particularly reminiscent of coffee. It’s a very smooth tea as well, and not very earthy at all by puerh standards. It does leave my mouth feeling kind of dry, which is strange and not entirely welcome, but for a tea this unique and flavourful I can deal with it. Definitely one of my favorites from Butiki.

Stephanie

YES! This one is so wonderful :D

greenteafairy

It really is! I’m already wishing I’d bought more than half an ounce.

Sipping down a sample.

The tea smells and tastes like umami. Bonito flakes and soy sauce, but very delicate and lightly sweet.

Would be excellent in chazuke, a Japanese tea and rice soup.

Not 100% sure about sipping on this one.

As it cools, it gets a little fruity, a little bitter. It’s really quite interesting, but I’m glad I only have this one cup sample to sip down.

I took a half day from work today, met Casey in Santa Rosa for dinner at 5 o’clock, and am now home brewing a lot of tea. Today is a good day!

My first impression was that this smelled like cooked rice with a dash or soy sauce. Casey said the flavor reminded him of slightly burnt caramel corn. There is a slight sour (not bad) note, I belive Stacy said it was like sourdough and I’d say that’s accurate. This is a very interesting, unique tea!

After eating a few clementines, I poured another cup of this tea. Maybe it was the fruit taste still left in my mouth, but suddenly there was a strong note of blackberry mid-sip. This was a very nice way to end my evening!

Thank you Stacy for this sample: I like it enough to purchase in the future for sure.
It’s buttery and smooth, absolutely no musty/funky taste. I detect some notes of roasted rice and slight fruitiness. Vey nice indeed!

Another to try from the Lewis & Clark tea box! Just a little left of this one. I really wanted to try this one as it sounds like a very unique pu-erh. And it is!

Steep #1 // 1 1/2 tsp // few min after boiling // 2 min
The pu-erh leaves are very fine, bordering on CTC size. But it certainly doesn’t get to the bitterness levels of a CTC and the cup doesn’t look as dark as even a larger leafed pu-erh would… the brew is light mahogany. The flavor is very fruity on the first cup, though I can’t tell which: sometimes it seems like blueberries, plums, strawberries. There is hints of cedar as well, but this is the fruitiest pu-erh I’ve ever tried. Surprisingly, it reminds me most of Butiki’s Taiwanese assam.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min
This cup isn’t as special… the fruitiness seems to be mostly gone. I don’t think I should have steeped it this long. It’s still mahogany in color. As it cools, it does taste more like the previous cup but otherwise it is tough to describe. The first cup was lovely though.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 min
I tried to tame this one on the third steep to try to get back to the lovely flavors of the first cup, but this time this ended up a bit mild. That is too bad. I know the first cup wasn’t contamination from another tea, since I had a string of plain teas in that infuser. First steep: one of the most unique teas I’ve tried. Other steeps: nothing special.

I didn’t make this according to directions, so I am not going to rate it right now. I did this gongfu style and it didn’t really work for me. It was very crumbly and got stuck in the teapot strainer holes, making it hard to pour. There seemed to be a lot of “dust”.

The flavor didn’t have much of the coffee or chestnut flavors that I saw other people mention. It tasted like green tea to me. I don’t care much for green tea, so I was a little bummed. I’ll try it western style maybe and see how that goes :)

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

From the Lewis and Clark TTB.

If you ever want an unusual tea to try, put this on your list: a Japanese pu’erh! It’s strange, but the good kind of strange. It smells like whole wheat bread. The liquor full-bodied and thick. Besides sweet earth, there is a black coffee note. It kind of tastes like watered-down coffee – here me out first! – but because of the thick texture it feels wonderful in the mouth. Sticky, yummy aftertaste coffee and then bread sticks an sesame seeds.

madametj

ohhhh this sounds yummy. Is there any left??

KiwiDelight

2-3 servings :]

Stephanie

LOVE this one. I got toasty rice notes.

I’d never tried a Japanese pu’erh before, so this was something I got sent in a swap. It has a somewhat earthy scent, along with fruit. Maybe… plums. The flavour kinda dark and malty, with some hints of fruit. Since I brewed it in a steeper I’d used for a mint tea, I get some mint as well. Overall, it’s different… but good.