Hattialli Golden Lion Assam

Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “First cup of the day, trying to wake up. I have a bit of a headache & will have to wear sunglasses, as I'm having the photo sensitivity problem this morning. Otherwise I'm good! I'm relaxing in my...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “had this in the morning. I have a bunch of tea to try and drink tomorrow morning/afternoon before i have to head out to the middle of nowhere to hang out from 6pm-6am. ugh. This is one of those...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4707 tasting notes
  • “I'm testing out the leaves from my order a while back. This is possibly my favorite tea! Sadly, I think the leaves may have changed from the sample I had a while back (possibly a new...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1291 tasting notes
  • “This is day 3 of my raw food cleanse. From time to time, I like to follow a raw diet to cleanse my body. This time around, I haven’t really been overly hungry (yet) but today is a real low. I’m...” Read full tasting note
    butikiteas 51 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Hattialli Golden Lion Assam originates from the Hattialli Tea Estate in the Dibrugarh District in the South Bank, Assam region of India. The name Hattialli comes from the words “Hatti Alli”, which means Elephant Road. This name came about because of a nearby elephant camp. The Hattialli Tea Estate is known for golden tippy handpicked teas and the balance of briskness and mellowness of their teas. The golden tips of this tea are longer than the black leaves, which imparts a more golden appearance. This phenomenal malty second flush Assam has baked bread and oak notes. Sweet potato and dried apricot notes are also detectable with fleeting lighter floral notes. There is a fruity sweetness and light astringency present in this truly exceptional second flush Assam.

Ingredients: Indian Black Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

I forgot how good this tea is. I used the last of my package for one giant mug, and it ended up being just a tiny bit over 4 tsp.

This tea is dark and rich and malty and delicious. It goes quite well with the chocolate chocolate coconut cherry almond granola I made last night. :)

I might have to re-order this one as a special occasion tea.

This was another surprise sample!

So, no idea what this tea is all about or what it has in it (besides Assam?) but it is rather nice. I guess that should go without saying as it IS a butiki tea. :P

I brewed it to spec and ended up with a dark amber coloured tea that smells almost like it has honey in it. And I’m getting fruity smells in there too. It tastes like a nice medium strength tea with a touch of sweetness in it. I really should drink the Premium Taiwanese Assam I ordered so that I can get a better sense of what this one is like in comparison.

I’ll re-steep and possibly update later!

I really really like this. Partially because the name means Elephant Road (in addition to ducks, I’m pretty crazy about elephants. As is evident by my elephant mugs, and elephant pillow buddy thing among other things) and partially because at the 3:30 steep this tastes a lot like Mi Xian Black + malt which is fantastic!

I think this is the one where Stacy personally recommended throwing an extra minute on the steep time, so I’ll try that for the next cup with fresh leaves. My first cup I went with the website recommendation. I wanted to try both and compare, and pick which way I like better. The three and a half minute steep is lovely. It’s not extremely strong, but it’s still well flavored and fairly robust. I mainly pick up on the apricot notes than anything else, and it has a malty finish.

The leaves are quite different than what I expected. I guess after two different Premium Taiwanese Assams, Mi Xian Black, and Laoshan Black from Verdant, I tend to expect to see twisty bramble like tea leaves now, but these ones are greeny gold and curly. :) Thanks to the strong apricot notes, this is really nice and sweet. Yum! :)

I’m really in love with this already, and will definitely be picking more up on my next order.

Butiki Teas

I’d love to know which way you prefer the brew if you do attempt a longer brew. :)

Chizakura

For sure! :) I’ll write another tasting note for it when I do.

Great! :)

Chizakura

Okay, I’m lazy for just putting this in a comment instead, I admit it. I tried the longer steep, and it was interesting, as it was almost like a different tea! With the three and a half minute steep, I didn’t really notice anything peppery, but with the longer steep it made it really pop!

Both ways are quite good, but I think I like how apricoty the shorter steep is, so I think I’ll brew it that way for the next cups. :)

1914 tasting notes

Sipdown, 195. This was a surprise sample from my last Butiki order. I am normally not a fan of assams, but I am willing to try anything once, and always happy to have my ideas about types of teas overturned.

Steeped, it smells, well, assam-y. It’s kind of hard to describe. I think its the smell of slight astringency (but it doesn’t smell too strong), coupled with a raisiny note. But yeah, I get the malty, peppery, hay-ish, yunnan-ish notes as well.

Well, this is nice! Definitely reminds me of a yunnan. I taste sweet potatoes and hay and maltiness. Quite a surprise really, this is an assam that I would never guess is an assam. No astringency, not quite bold or in your face. Just the way I like my black teas, smooth and easy to drink.

I appreciate the free sample of this that came with my Butiki order. This is a really nice Assam, and like some others have said, it reminds me of some of the Chinese blacks I enjoy. I had it last night, and should have written a description yesterday for more accuracy. Suffice it to say, I like it enough to re-order it.

Sample sipdown!

Had a headache this morning…opted to try this one over my sample of Good Morning Sunshine, but I think I might save that one for Boxing Day (I work retail).

This assam seemed a bit richer than the Premium Taiwanese Assam, and I think I got more malty and mineral notes. I was pleased that I had very little to no astringency with this one. It did remind me a little of yunnan teas I have had. I think that yunnan and assam are my favourite straight black teas.

I got this as a sample from Stacey with one of my recent Butiki orders. Thank you for allowing me to try this!

I brewed this per the instructions and it just didn’t seem to be for me. I have had some straight assam’s before and nothing has ever been so bitter for me. This just hit my mouth wrong. I wish I had more to experiment with to see if it was just me rushing through the preparation. The tasting notes online sounded really intriguing.

Butiki Teas

Hmmm, this one should be astringency & bitterness free.

This has a thick texture and malty flavor that makes it very satisfying, and it is smoother, less bitter than most assams. There is an oaky thing going on which is somewhat unusual and very pleasant. With it is some to-be-expected astringency (comes in mainly at the end of the swallow and lingers lightly), but nothing unbearable or even that noticeable. And as always, the dry leaves are beautiful, long and unbroken; these in particular are a bit pale like tiny golden tree branches. Lovely without being so complicated/distracting as to require full-on attention.

When I first got the tea I was taken back by the delicious aroma of chocolate (cacao) and the hint of cinnamon. I was disappointed that I could not taste the same notes in the tea. My first pot was brewed too long (>5min) but the second pot (~4min) was much better.

Ha, I didn’t even realize I’d asked for a sample of this tea back with my very first Butiki order-but there it was, floating around in my cupboard. This is only the second straight Assam I’ve tried, the other being Butiki’s PTA. It yielded a fairly light cup, very little in the way of malt, complete with the slightly raisiny notes I’ve come to associate with what I think are Assam teas. I enjoyed it more as it cooled, since it seemed to become even more flavourful. I’m glad to have had the chance to try it, but don’t think I’d seek out similar tasting teas to own—I think as far as straight blacks are concerned, I like a bit more heft, some smoke, etc. Still though, thank you Stacy for including this with my first order!

Amariel

This is one I have been curious about.