Ruby Pie

Bunny Grahams (Vegan), Chocolate Chip, Freeze Dried Strawberries, Hibiscus, Khongea Golden Tipppy Assam, Organic Cinnamon Chips, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Safflower
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

• “Awe yeah! So this was my "something to look forward to tea" today since the custom blend arrived yesterday from Stacy. In retrospect i probably should have just tried it last night since i made...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “Ok, confession time! I've always enjoyed this tea, but it's never been a knock me off my socks sorta tea. You know what I mean, right? But I wanted to really like it because I like *Sil* and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1393 tasting notes
  • “Well, my day off was quite relaxing, if a bit too chilly even indoors. But I had that delicious experience of waking up for a delicious breakfast and tea, wrote a tasting note and caught up on...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 416 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 779. I keep craving this one, and lucky for me, based on the facts that a) it (was) stored in a plastic baggie, b) there was only one cup's worth left in said baggie, and c) I chanced...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This tea was created by the winner of our Custom Blend Contest. In October of 2012, we held a contest to send in ideas for a custom blend. A panel of judges chose the 10 best ideas and we created a poll on our site. The concept for this tea won the most votes, so we worked with the winner, Sarah, to create her dream blend. This version has only been slightly modified from the batch of tea that she won. Ruby Pie is designed to taste similar to strawberry rhubarb pie. The pie crust notes are immediately noticeable followed by rhubarb and lingering fresh strawberry and vanilla notes. Hibiscus adds a hint of tartness to supplement the rhubarb notes but does not overwhelm the tea. Adding some sugar will intensify the strawberry and rhubarb notes while still maintaining the pie crust notes. For a short interview on the process of making this tea, please check out: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2013/04/custom-blend-contest-winning-tea-now.html

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam (Black Indian Tea), Chocolate Chip Bunny Grahams (Vegan), Organic Cinnamon Chips, Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Hibiscus, Safflower, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Awe yeah! So this was my “something to look forward to tea” today since the custom blend arrived yesterday from Stacy. In retrospect i probably should have just tried it last night since i made it this morning and it’s sat in my travel mug all morning because i got busy.

I’ll give it another go over the next few days as well to give stacy some feedback but overall this is pretty darn tasty :) I much prefer it over frank’s honeybush strawberry rhubarb (since i get no rhubarb taste in his, just less cinnamon than strawberry pie).

I’m glad we went with a little bit of hibiscus in this one since it brings just a little tartness to the party, which is evident in all strawberry rhubarb pie!

Holding off on all my final thoughts on this though (as well as rating it) since i don’t think my travel mug does it justice and i’m super swamped at work and therefore not half as focused as i want to be.

Really happy this is finally in my hands :)

KeenTeaThyme

This sounds super yummy! I love my grandmother’s strawberry rhubarb pie and it’s such a unique taste. In a tea?! Sounds heavenly!

jessiwrites

GAH.

I want this!

Starfevre

Posts like this make me wish I wasn’t allergic to honeybush

tattooed_tea

I NEED THIS!
Strawberry Rhubarb pie is my fav, next to Pumpkin!!

it’s not honeybush hun :) this has a black base

52 teas was a honeybush and it made me sad. Though i DO need more non caffeinated teas…this is all black tea!

Emily M

I love that Stacy does custom teas. That’s AWESOME! =)
This one sounds yummy.

Starfevre

Really, black tea. This may cause my first order from Butiki. Does it have much cinnamon in it?

I honestly can’t recall if we ultimately decided to add cinnamon to it (it’s been a long process) but if there is, it’s very subtle. It’s not up on the website yet as Stacy was waiting for it to get to me so that i could taste it etc.. but it will be :) I highly recommend her teas! If it’s going to be a while, i can always send you a small sample star :)

Starfevre

A sample would be great, though I do have enough tea that I can definitely wait for it to be put up on the website. Trying before I buy might be preferable, I don’t remember if butiki does samples.

Stacy does samples with orders…rather than samples as orders if that makes sense. Though you can often order just a 1/2 ounce which is nice.

Indigobloom

omg I want to try this one SO badly!!

Well there’s a giant bag at my place waiting for the end of the month :)

Indigobloom

Sil… one of many reasons I’m looking forward to that weekend!! :D

tattooed_tea

Have I said yet how jealous I am that you guys are all down south? :( now I wanna go pout

March 23. Come on over!

Butiki Teas

Totally missed this note. Doh! Glad you are digging the tea! I’m so happy we went with the hibiscus too. Not too much, just enough to give it that rhubarb taste. Let me know your final notes and if you think any other adjustments are needed and I will be sending you those questions.

I’m going to try and have more on Sunday so that I can focus on it. I HAVE however, dolled out samples here and there that will be sent to a few people in the near future. haha

Great! What, you’re not saving all 168 cups worth? :P

weeellllll i figured 160 would tie me over. grin

CelebriTEA

This is really yummy!
I LOVE Strawberry Rhubarb pie and this is the Uber Perfect tea version :-)

glad you love it celebriTEA :)

Ok, confession time! I’ve always enjoyed this tea, but it’s never been a knock me off my socks sorta tea. You know what I mean, right? But I wanted to really like it because I like Sil and ButikiTeas.

Anywyas,this has gone from a 78 to an 88. I figured out what I needed – a longer steep time. Maybe 5 minutes? I want MORE flavour and this is just great now. Lovely rhubarb, slightly tart, slightly sweet and a bit of graham in there to weigh it down. YES. FINALLY I GET IT NOW.

Yvonne

I’ve heard so much about this tea – wish I could try it!

Cavocorax

If you ever place an order with Butiki, she will throw in a few samples and you can request which ones. Her teas rarely disappoint.

keychange

That’s so funny-a longer steep time pretty much ruined this tea for me yesterday! Although I’m guessing it was steeping for more than five minutes, but still. Funny what works.

Terri HarpLady

It’s been awhile since I drank this one. I picked up an oz with my last butiki order, just for fun. :)

haha a 78 is a perfectly reasonable score for a tea :)

Cavocorax

:) Well 78 means I like it, but not that it’s completely irreplacable. :P Anything over 85 means I need to buy at least 2oz of it when I order.

Cavocorax

Keychange – yeah there’s probably a very narrow margin where oversteeping makes the flavours better before it makes it infinitely worse. I didn’t mean to steep it so long but my cat wanted some attention before I left the house.

keychange

Oh yeah, cats can do that to your tea anyday!

Terri HarpLady

and they do it on purpose!

Fjellrev

NIce, maybe that was the “problem” I had with this tea too. I was afraid of steeping it too long because I thought the base would only get stronger and cover up the other flavours even more.

Well, my day off was quite relaxing, if a bit too chilly even indoors. But I had that delicious experience of waking up for a delicious breakfast and tea, wrote a tasting note and caught up on steepster, and promptly curled up with a book for a post-breakfast nap. The nap lasted, like, two hours longer than I intended it to, but every time I woke up and contemplated getting out of bed I realized how frigidly cold it was and there was no way I was getting out from under the covers.

Anyway, I finally cajoled myself into waking up by promising myself i’d have a cup of tea with lunch, and this was the chosen one. It wasn’t nearly as flavourful as past cups have been, but this may also be because I’m reaching the bottom of the bag. This is also one of those teas where you want to make sure you get a good ratio of leaf to “bits” to have the ideal cup, which is a bit hard to do sometimes. Still going on the reorder list, though! It is such a genuinely spot-on rendition of a strawberry rhubarb pie, and the milk i added just blew this tea clear out of the water. And the cup becomes even more magnificent as it cools. Go sil and Stacy!

woot!

Anna

I agree, this one is really tasty. What did you read?

keychange

Delicious! and right now, I’m reading “An Unfinished Life” by Mark Sprag. I’m slightly more than halfway through it, and although it’s a very compelling story, I’m struggling a bit because I haven’t quite developed an attachment to any of the characters. I think that’s my gripe about a lot of novels—I don’t care enough about the characters before momentous things start happening to them, and that throws me off a bit. Having said that, I still have a ways to go with this book, so it still might be a good read.

Anna

That’s really interesting to me – what makes you connect with a character?

keychange

That’s actually a really good question. I think that if I can generate enough empathy for them, it’s a good start—not even necessarily because I can imagine myself in their position, but because I can conjure up an image of “them” as opposed to anyone else in the world. But when a character might as well be anyone, themselves or otherwise, I have no emotional investment in the outcome. And although I don’t look to be emotionally invested in everything I read, I do look for it in most fiction, unless the storyline is so unbelievably compelling that it honestly doesn’t matter, although I think that’s rare. What makes you connect with a book and want to finish it?

Anna

It was an interesting comment, because generally, at least in commercial fiction, those ordeals are thrown in fairly early on to make readers connect with the characters – their actions tell the reader something about who they are, the challenges they face are designed to make the reader invests emotionally in the outcome, &c, &c – classic first act in a three-act structure, obviously.

But your comment, that you generally ‘don’t care enough about the characters before momentous things start happening to them’ suggests that you need more than just those events and challenges. I think it can be very tricky to dissect why we care so much about certain characters, and why others entirely fail to interest us – but I still like to see someone try.

To be honest, I read very strategically, as I don’t have much time for pleasure reading, so if I pick something up, it’s something I know I’m going to like. Exceptional writing appeals to me, as well as high concept storylines.

TheTeaFairy

I’m having a second steep pot of this right now :-) so good!

keychange

It is indeed delicious! and Anna, I think you’re right-I do tend to need more than just action to really help me invest myself in a book. That’s partially why I tend to be more drawn to longer books, although obviously that isn’t necessarily always an indication of quality. Size not mattering and all that sort of thing!

Sipdown! 779.

I keep craving this one, and lucky for me, based on the facts that a) it (was) stored in a plastic baggie, b) there was only one cup’s worth left in said baggie, and c) I chanced across it tonight while migrating baggied samples downstairs and airtight packages upstairs to encourage sample drinking, I get to finally satisfy that craving! Wooooo!

If you like flavoured black teas… this tea would be an excellent purchase. Just saying.

whatshesaid

I’m going to have to try it :)

did i not send you some?

I made this into tea syrup the other night- I brewed 1 cup of tea triple strength, and then simmered the tea with 1/2 cup of sugar and let it cool. Now I’ve been adding a few spoonfuls of it to club soda…HOLY CRAP SO GOOD!

It tastes like strawberry rhubarb cream soda with a hint of tea. dies

Everyone should try this!!!

However- when I was putting the dry leaf in the steeper, I came across a particularly large piece of bunny graham…and made the mistake of nibbling it. DON’T TRY THIS AT HOME! bleh! I had to rinse off my tongue LOL

moraiwe

Yay! Tea soda for everyone!

Stephanie

:D :D :D

Roswell Strange

I guess I’m adding this on my list of things to make into tea sodas (along with DAVIDsTEA’s Coconut Grove, Butiki’s Root Beer Float, and 52Teas’ Very Big Hill Dew Honeybush).

so happy people like this blend heh

Dinosara

Will definitely have to try this… I’ve been thinking about tea sodas recently!

TeaBrat

wow, I should try this!

Veronica

Brilliant! I need to try this.

Awesome idea!

This sounds so good!!

This is Sil’s signature blend, so I’m drinking this to honor my dear Steepster Sister!! No real reason, just cuz she’s awesome! I’m also copying Cavo, cuz she drank it earlier today :)

This is interesting to drink once in awhile. It always starts out tasty, & for a strawberry & cookie (teddy grahams?) tea (I have no idea what rhubarb tastes like),the base is pleasantly bold, but I think the tartness & slight bitter edge grows as it cools, & the tart hibiscus mouth lingers…& lingers… :)

caile

You haven’t tasted rhubarb?

Fjellrev

You’re truly missing out on the rhubarb awesomeness.

oh man.. raw rhubarb dipped in sugar was my staple growing up…fresh from the garden…

Yvonne

Me too, Sil!

Terri HarpLady

Seems like I thought you weren’t suppose to eat rhubarb raw, like it was toxic if it wasn’t cooked…

caile

It may be the rhubarb leaves you are thinking of..

Terri HarpLady

I’ve never grown it either

Butiki Teas

Terri-Nope, not teddy grahams, those are bunny grahams! http://www.annies.com/products/snacks/chocolate-chip-bunny-grahams/

I’m going to start this with a story about my day – feel free to skip right ahead to notes on this tea at the bottom if you’d like :)

I spent the majority of last night extremely sick and slept away most of my night on the bathroom floor. This really did not make for a great start to my Monday morning. I barely dragged myself out of the bed I had somehow managed to get into at some point, and I ended up missing my first class. The class with the most terrifying prof with intense information overload each and every class. Delightful. I did make it for my next class, thank goodness. I also had the foresight to bring Bangkok in my Timolino today – favourite tea comfort, and ginger for the upset stomach. Mondays are my longest day, where classes run from 9-7:30p with one 1 hour break. So I endured all but one of my classes today with a horribly upset stomach and running on little sleep. Today was totally a sucky Monday. When I did finally arrive back home there was a tea parcel waiting for me, and this just seemed to make it all better – so thank you Cavovorax, and the speedy postal service, for brightening my day.

This was one in the package from Cavovorax. I have tried this one before and it just didn’t quite work out the first time. This time is going much better. I really do love rhubarb – almost as much as my love for watermelon and pumpkin. I don’t consume nearly as much or enough of it since I left home. I really should’ve brought my Mom with me to bake me rhubarb goodies. Why didn’t I have the foresight for that… Okay, back to this tea. I’m much happier this time around with it, and I’m even more thrilled it went into my Butiki order yesterday. I may try the resteep with a touch of sugar like is suggested. Yum!

I’m having the second resteep tonight and it is quite delicious. I’m even more excited about my Butiki order now.

yyz

Hope you have a better day tomorrow and are feeling better!

Tea Sipper

Yikes! I hope tomorrow is better! I’ve been thinking of strawberry rhubarb pie all day.

Jennkay

Oh man, Mondays are hard enough without a full schedule and an upset stomach. Hope you’re feeling better!

Amanda Wilson

I hope you feel better!

Aimee Popovacki

yuck! feel better!

Thanks guys :)

keychange

Uggh, I hate nights like that and hope you feel better soon. And good for you for plowing on through the day anyway! so not what I’d do, I don’t think. I’m weak though LOL.

OMGsrsly

Oh, that sounds horrible! Congrats to making it through all those classes, and I hope you’re feeling better.

Courtney

Thanks! I had a much better day today :)

The bunny graham is whole!!! (Every time I use more than one exclamation mark I think of Terry Pratchett’s Reaper Man, but I’m good since I’m still under five).

This tea is the sweet taste of spring, although drinking this is not bound to that season. It’s a big cup of delicious vanilla pastry and red berry goodness.

Thank you Courtney for helping me get a couple more cups of this delicious, delicious tea. I really loved the sample Roswell Strange sent and having it again tonight, I am still very impressed with it (Good job Sil!). It makes me really, REALLY happy that I have more on the way in my group Butiki order.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Courtney

Yay! I sent you the rest of mine, but I’m getting ready for a Butiki order soon. :)

VariaTEA

I gave in and added some to my Butiki order so if you are in need, I can send some your way :).

Courtney

Haha thanks! I think I’ll survive. I have so many teas to get through as it is, and more on the way.

Says the girl with only 47 teas in her cupboard to the one with 122 :P

Courtney

Hahaha! But I have a tiny wee cupboard! Half my Tealux and HI orders are “hidden” in my swap box so J doesn’t suspect cupboard “spillage” haha! You’re doing so well with your sipdowns though. :)

…says the girl with 122 teas in her cupboard where the girl with 150+ can hear…

VariaTEA

haha. Courtney, I like how you are hiding teas. Luckily my roommate does not mind but I imagine when I move back home I will have to do the same.

And Sil, remember back when I hit 200 and said I was aiming for 150 and you suggested 175 :P. Go big or go home! Though, I got new teas today so I thought you would be happy.

ya ya you’re so awesome..blah blah kidding :) I’m just happy that i made my goal of 150 this month…since anytihng i’m bringing back from florida is “march” leaves me with quite the jump to get to 140 for the end of march, but i can do it!

VariaTEA

I probably shouldn’t say anything or tea might just appear as it does to you :P. And you almost always hit your goal so I am sure you will get to 140 by the end of March.

Roswell Strange

*Cough*200+*Cough* I win. And by win, I mean lose. But also win.

Mmm, finally sitting down and enjoying this one again. To be perfectly honest, I put off having it for a really long time because when I last had it I ended up getting violently ill – though I’m convinced it was either from the eggs I had at the same time or a result of being sick prior and not being completely aware of that – and nothing to do with the tea itself.

Still, the association is there and so I’ve been hesitant to re-invite it.

Parameters for this 10 oz. mug were just barely 1 1/2 tsp. of leaf in boiling water, steeped for four minutes. Taste wise, it actually tastes fairly different from what I remember. My recollection is a very intensely strawberry/rhubarb tea with a bit of pie crust, but what I’m experiencing right now is more akin to lots of pie crust with medium notes of juicy strawberry and lighter notes of rhubarb. Perhaps that boils down to just a different assortment of stuff in the leaf…

Anyway, it’s a delicious cup and I very much enjoy it. I’m glad I put my hesitation aside and didn’t let it prevent me from still enjoying this blend, because just… Mmmmmm!

VariaTEA

Sil, I like to imagine you just having a room filled with this delicious tea given you helped create it and all.