Ruby Pie

Bunny Grahams (Vegan), Chocolate Chip, Freeze Dried Strawberries, Hibiscus, Khongea Golden Tipppy Assam, Organic Cinnamon Chips, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Safflower
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

• “Awe yeah! So this was my "something to look forward to tea" today since the custom blend arrived yesterday from Stacy. In retrospect i probably should have just tried it last night since i made...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “Ok, confession time! I've always enjoyed this tea, but it's never been a knock me off my socks sorta tea. You know what I mean, right? But I wanted to really like it because I like *Sil* and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1404 tasting notes
  • “Well, my day off was quite relaxing, if a bit too chilly even indoors. But I had that delicious experience of waking up for a delicious breakfast and tea, wrote a tasting note and caught up on...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 417 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 779. I keep craving this one, and lucky for me, based on the facts that a) it (was) stored in a plastic baggie, b) there was only one cup's worth left in said baggie, and c) I chanced...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This tea was created by the winner of our Custom Blend Contest. In October of 2012, we held a contest to send in ideas for a custom blend. A panel of judges chose the 10 best ideas and we created a poll on our site. The concept for this tea won the most votes, so we worked with the winner, Sarah, to create her dream blend. This version has only been slightly modified from the batch of tea that she won. Ruby Pie is designed to taste similar to strawberry rhubarb pie. The pie crust notes are immediately noticeable followed by rhubarb and lingering fresh strawberry and vanilla notes. Hibiscus adds a hint of tartness to supplement the rhubarb notes but does not overwhelm the tea. Adding some sugar will intensify the strawberry and rhubarb notes while still maintaining the pie crust notes. For a short interview on the process of making this tea, please check out: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2013/04/custom-blend-contest-winning-tea-now.html

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam (Black Indian Tea), Chocolate Chip Bunny Grahams (Vegan), Organic Cinnamon Chips, Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Hibiscus, Safflower, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

I am sitting here waiting impatiently for this tea to cool off enough to drink (frequently tempted to risk burned tastebuds). It smells so lovely! Like strawberries mostly. Like real fresh yummy strawberries. Not like a been-sittin-in-a-teabag-for-a-year strawberry that I’ve had before, but fresh from the garden.

And finally, a taste. Flavor is not as strong as it smells, but just as fresh. I can barely detect the base tea. I’m not sure what hibiscus tastes like so I can’t comment on that. And, honestly, I can’t remember the last time I had rhubarb. So the only thing that really stands out for me is the strawberry. But thats ok! And it doesn’t have a nasty aftertaste like many other fruity flavored blacks that I’ve tried. I might just have to stock up on this one. So sad when limited editions turn out to be good!

And one more thing: This goes really good with Biscoff cookies. Yummy!

so glad you liked it!

Shelley_Lorraine

Ooh, that’s right you’re the famous steepsterite behind this blend. It’s a good one; even most of my family likes it too. (^^)

LOL i dunno about “famous” but i did help inspire this one..stacy did all the heavy lifting ;) I really need to try the final version – stacy sent along a bit but i haven’t had time to do a taste comparison yet.

I’m happy to try some Butiki samples from my order! I’ve wanted to try this one a while! I love strawberry rhubarb pie (I’ll probably get one for Thanksgiving!) Is it odd that it tastes EXACTLY how I envisioned it?!? I made sure I got pieces of these luscious looking strawberries and cookie in the scoop for this cup!

Steep #1 // a few minutes after boiling // 3 min
The fragrance is so lovely – sweet strawberries and the flavor is the same. Definite strawberry flavor. My favorite tea strawberry flavor is from Butiki! They know how to do it! There is also a slight rhubarb flavor.. I don’t know how they do that though. Not as much “crust” flavor as I would have liked. But the base tea is perfect – pretty mild not to overpower the awesome flavor. The cup is very silky and smooth as well!

Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min
This cup is very much the same as the first… except CINNAMON has appeared! Cinnamon basically has to be just boiled in order to taste it. I just love this tea though. The flavor is perfect, and I said, exactly as I thought ‘ruby pie’ from Butiki would taste. Got to love the natural Butiki flavors that are never short of amazing magic! And nice idea, Sil!

YAAAAY!!! so glad you liked it :)

Tea Sipper

:D Though I’m still a bit scared as to how I knew exactly how it would taste.

CrowKettle

I’m going to pick up more of this in my next order. It’s one of the few teas that my whole family actually likes :)

i am shamefully behind in my reviews!

a few days ago i came in from the rain, clattering the mail box lid as it was nearly too late. what’s this? something puffy! a puffy envelope in december? always exciting! i didn’t recognize the writing. a mystery envelope! i decided a shake was in order…. something shifted from side to side. i sniffed…. tea! it had to be tea!!

but who from? and which one?

Sil! you sly tea ninja!! i have been wanting to try this blend for ages…. you even remembered that i frequently mess up the first steep (she sent enough for 2 cups).

i smelled rhubarb, cherry, strawberry…. tea, crust….. and the tasty mucky stuff that all that all those elements create together when they puddle. the kettle boiled, the water was ready…. it was going to good! it smelled amazing! i tasted FLAT.

now i know that was me. i was sure of it. sil, if you have been wondering why i haven’t reviewed sooner…a) i was behind, b) i was grumbling.

tonight i got over it….. i cheated…. i added honey. there we go! perfect! wunderbar!

sil, thank you so much…. happy christmas…… xo

Lol that’s the original blend as well….we tweaked it again afterwards to public consumption :). (Getting near the end of the original so that might have contributed to the flat haha…)

JustJames

no! with the honey it was perfect… the flat was aaaaaaall my special gift =0)

Thank you Stacy for this sample tea!

I sellected Ruby Pie this morning because it matched the beginning to my day. How? It matched the color of the sunrise this morning!

Vibrant rose, streaks of gold and cream… bright lights in a black sky.

I was awake at 5:45 AM, the wind howling hard through the trees and if I hadn’t been disturbed, would have missed the most glorious sunrise.

If you watch the you-tube video (made this morning), the last pictures this special sunrise. My granddaughter Megan’s music is paired with it, as a tribute to the 100 year storm we’ve been through here on the Frontrange.

Here’s the You-Tube morning photo’s with music… be kind, it’s my first attempt! http://youtu.be/vaIUqSXnqDE

Ruby Pie isn’t heavily hibiscus (thank’s Stacy) or too strawberry either. The blend is pie-ish. I like that word, ‘pie-ish’ because it means that Stacy got it right, adding cookies (huh?!) to the tea blend. Comforting, dessert tea.
Stacy’s nuts, so she added those too! Nut’s, crust, berries and a little tang in a colorful combination that makes me chuckle at how creative she can be. (What tea delights will transformulate (made that up) from her brain as she becomes a Whovian?!)

Goodness Stacy!

Butiki Teas

Great video! Love all the pics. Gorgeous sky photos. The music works perfectly, your granddaughter is very talented!

Bonnie

She’s never had a piano lesson…Thanks Stacy.

Wow, that’s impressive!

Sil you are wonderful!
Stacy from Butiki you are a genius!
RUBY PIE you are a delight!

This is a masterpiece – because RARELY do people MAKE IT in LIFE by ‘playing it safe’ and Butiki thrives on the creativeness behind the cuppa! Thank you for being so creative and taking those creative combo risks! They are great!

The Black tea base is fairly strong and I like that. The Vegan Bunny Grahams are a brilliant addition! They give it a wonderful crustiness to it! The floral notes give it a peppy and peppery pop here and there and the Strawberry notes are WONDERFUL! The Cinnamon notes are strong and appreciated. This tastes more like a meal than a cuppa!

I’ll have to order this and SOON!

If you over infuse it will be a little more cinnamony as well as stronger and “darker” or more astringent but it’s still an interesting flavor and satisfying and filling at that!

Chizakura

I have some of this on the way. :) Looking forward to trying it!

I’m so glad that the box made it to you safely :) Just note, that the final blending is a little different that the samples i sent you lovely ladies :) It’s from the original batch!

Butiki Teas

I had so much fun working with Sil on this blend and I think it turned out pretty interesting. Love the vegan Bunny Grahams. :)

Ended my tea day with this one. Sil sent me a big sample of this awhile back and I’ve really enjoyed it! I don’t love the rubharb but the pie crust and vanilla is super delicious. Sad to see this one go! Thanks for the large sample Sil!

This came in my last order from Butiki and the first time I tried it I added soymilk to it, which I do NOT recommend because it has hibiscus in it and that will make your milk or plant milk curdle (ewwww).

Anyway I knew I had to retry it before I could review it. The dry leaf smells very fruity and a bit tart.

The cup is very red after it’s brewed. Now, normally I loathe hibiscus so I probably wouldn’t have purchased this had I realized it was in there. IMO the tea is pretty tart and adding a packet of turbinado sugar definitely helped. I am getting a lot of strawberry and the tea smells like pie but I don’t get a lot of pie flavor, vanilla or even black tea. I think the hibiscus just overpowers everything.

This isn’t bad, I just think it isn’t really for me. If someone wants to swap for it I will consider any and all offers. :)

vanilla?

sorry to hear you didn’t like it. there was a great debate about the hibiscus, and i know we put as little in as possible to give it that rhubarb-y tartness heh

TeaBrat

In the description it says there’s vanilla flavor? Anyway I definitely don’t hate it, hibiscus just has a tendency to make my stomach hurt. :)

Butiki Teas

Sil-There is some vanilla in the bunny grahams. I didn’t add any vanilla flavoring but it does come through a little bit.

aaah that makes sense stacy.
amy – sorry it makes your tummy hurt! and man are there a lot of teas with hibby in it!

This tea presents quite a lovely impression of a strawberry pie made from cooked fruit with just a touch of cinnamon and only slightly sweetened. These are among my favourite types of pies, ones where the fruit is allowed to shine and its freshness is highlighted. Very nicely done!

This tasting note is more a series of impressions brought to you thanks to the generosity of CrowKettle who sent this to me as a surprise.

Scent: Graham crust, strawberry slightly green bright note, cinnamon, bright note from the tea

Broth: deep orange gold with a hint of red.

Taste: Light strawberry that becomes more apparent in the aftertaste with a hint of sharpness from the hibiscus. Hint of pastry that offers a thickness and a certain smoothness to the tea. Cinnamon note blends in with the flavour of the base tea which has a certain richness, a touch ofbitterrness, honey and a certain brightness. Pleasant but not in you face flavouring. The strawberries are like slightly under ripe berries that have been left out in the sun after slicing with a very subtle floral note blending into the fruit. A touch of woodiness is present either from the cinnamon or the base tea. Enjoyable with the flavouring developing and becoming more apparent as I sip down the cup.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 225 ML

I wanted to dig into this one right away when my goody box from sil came last week, but I thought with the strawberries, maybe I should wait til Canada Day with this one, and so I did. (This decision helped narrow down which tea I wanted to try first, also.)

So, this brewed up a lovely reddish pink colour from the hibiscus, but lucky for me, there is not much hibby in this to be a bully. I am getting a fairly strong black base, with the fruit and pie behind it, though as the tea cools, they come forward more. I’m wondering how this would be iced. Methinks it would rock. Love seeing the strawberries in the dry leaf.

I have one more serving in the sample pouch, though I am going to see if I can get at least one more steep from the leaves I have already used.

I finallly ordered this! I was waiting to make a big order at Butiki since shipping is kinda expensvie now, so I might as well make it worth it!

This black tea is deliciously fresh strawberry and rhubarb. There is a slight baked pie taste. I added some rock sugar half way through and this really brings out the baked pie taste even more.

I resteeped this for 4 minutes and it was a little weaker, but still delicious.

I chilled some of this and it is delicious as well!

Good job Sil (I think it was Sil anyway!) on suggesteing this combination in the contest!

YAY! so glad you enjoyed it! and yeah that one is my fault though stacy gets full credit for making it awesome!

Aimee Popovacki

that one sounds so good! I love rhubarb stuff so I feel like i’d really like that.