Ruby Pie

Bunny Grahams (Vegan), Chocolate Chip, Hibiscus, Khongea Golden Tipppy Assam, Organic Cinnamon Chips, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan), Safflower
Berry, Strawberry, Tangy, Tart, Custard, Rhubarb
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “Awe yeah! So this was my "something to look forward to tea" today since the custom blend arrived yesterday from Stacy. In retrospect i probably should have just tried it last night since i made...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5059 tasting notes
  • “Ok, confession time! I've always enjoyed this tea, but it's never been a knock me off my socks sorta tea. You know what I mean, right? But I wanted to really like it because I like *Sil* and...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “ My Butiki order arrived yesterday! I've basically been getting packages in the mail all week, and well I know you know how awesome that feels. This was one of the teas I ordered a lot of,...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 779. I keep craving this one, and lucky for me, based on the facts that a) it (was) stored in a plastic baggie, b) there was only one cup's worth left in said baggie, and c) I chanced...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2367 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

This tea was created by the winner of our Custom Blend Contest. In October of 2012, we held a contest to send in ideas for a custom blend. A panel of judges chose the 10 best ideas and we created a poll on our site. The concept for this tea won the most votes, so we worked with the winner, Sarah, to create her dream blend. This version has only been slightly modified from the batch of tea that she won. Ruby Pie is designed to taste similar to strawberry rhubarb pie. The pie crust notes are immediately noticeable followed by rhubarb and lingering fresh strawberry and vanilla notes. Hibiscus adds a hint of tartness to supplement the rhubarb notes but does not overwhelm the tea. Adding some sugar will intensify the strawberry and rhubarb notes while still maintaining the pie crust notes. For a short interview on the process of making this tea, please check out: http://butikiteas.blogspot.com/2013/04/custom-blend-contest-winning-tea-now.html

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam (Black Indian Tea), Chocolate Chip Bunny Grahams (Vegan), Organic Cinnamon Chips, Freeze-Dried Strawberries, Hibiscus, Safflower, Organic Natural Flavors (Vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

About Butiki Teas View company

Sil thank you so much for this sample!

What a wonderful tea. I am not a pie person so when I saw Ruby Pie in my swap package I decided this would be the last to try. nothing against butikis wonderful teas, I’m just not that into baked goods. If it’s cake this and bread that, I don’t rush to get it.

Today is the day Ruby Pie meets the brew basket. The dry leaf is not overly fragrant. Once steeped, pow, aroma wafts out of the jar. A mason jar is so not the right vessel for this tea, I don’t know what I was thinking. Still, you can smell it in there. The brewed liquor is light caramel, I expected red for some reason. And the flavour is so unbelievably … pie crust! I love this tea. It is absolutely delicious. This is not a bandwagon tasting note. I am not saying this because everyone loves butiki and I must conform. This tea manages to capture pie entirely. Liquid pie crust in your cup. Fantastic job, I have no idea what goes into it. I don’t mean ingredients, I mean the balance of getting everything just so, in order to have tea drinkers everywhere go “omg, that’s pie crust!”

Now when it comes to the strawberry or rhubarb, it’s getting foggy for me, I can’t really tell where one stops and the other begins. And there’s a wonderful aftertaste of pie crust with something slightly tart. Could be hibiscus. I think it is hibiscus. Booyah!

YAY! glad you liked it :)

JustJames is it the middle of july yet?

justjames…i wish!

JustJames

this is going to sound hysterical, but one of my aims once i finish my degree is to have a stress free card carrying tea habit. to buy what i want when i want without fussing over such a tight budget! there are lots of other goals as well, but that’s the really selfish one, lol!

Dry: Short black loose leaf blended with bits of graham cookies, flower petals, and big chunks of freeze-dried strawberries. This smells very much like sweetened strawberries right out of the bag, similar to strawberry shortcake ingredients to my nose.

Steeped: Light brown liquor with a bit of a film, but smells devine. Fresh strawberry aroma with a creamy backdrop.

Taste: My grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to make the most delicious rhubarb pies. I never asked her for that particular recipe unfortunately, but the good news is that this tea reminds me very much of it! Somehow this tea manages to taste like sweet strawberries with actual pie crust notes and a tiny hint of tartness, as if from rhubarb. The base is tasty as well. No strong spicy notes also make me happy as many teas are just way too cinnamon for my liking. Not this one though. It is wonderful! This is also my first Butiki tea and the first strawberry tea I’ve actually enjoyed (doesn’t taste artificial). Yum!

Terri HarpLady

Yay!
Sil, (I know you’re out there lurking somewhere), isn’t this your own personal blend?

1.5 tbsp for 375 ml

Straw-like black tea taste in forefront. Strawberry and graham cracker flavours mingle at end the sip. A bit bitter at the end of the cup.

Thanks Sil for sharing with me!

i see you’ve been inspired to DRINK your darn teas lol

JustJames

must admit i’m looking forward to trying this one at some point =0)

james… for serious… you haven’t tried this one yet?!?!?

Yes! This was the tea I was looking for this afternoon! Buttery, slightly fruity, and even a bit floral- This tasted very much a like the tea version of a flaky-crusted pie!
The scent of the dry leaf is mostly of strawberries and rhubarb- very sweet and enticing.
The butteriness hits me first and just feels great in the mouth. The strawberry mixed with something flowery comes into play next. Rhubarb and cinnamon come through in the aftertaste.

Thanks for the sample of this, Stacy! I think I might have to order this next time. So delicious!

so glad you like it

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Thanks for inspiring it!

This came to me in a swap from Sil.
When I first smelled this brewed tea, it reminded me of apple crisp. There was a tart smell with cinnamon. It reminded me of apple, but it could have been rhubarb. The brewed tea tastes like strawberry and rhubarb. But again it could be strawberry and apple. You can also taste a pastry flavor, almost like pie crust. There is also a peppery taste that I would associate with rhubarb. Delicous. Thanks to Sil and Butiki for this wonderful blend.

So glad you enjoyed it :)

I sprinkled a bit of raw sugar in this one.

This smells amazing dry and brewing, heady sweet strawberry. I rarely like strawberry flavored teas it seems, but With Open Eyes made a believer of me, and I love rhubarb, so…and come on, Bunny Grahams! So cute.

The first flavors here are sweet-tart berry that turns lush and jammy as it lingers in the mouth. The hibiscus is very well balanced—not too tart, but keeping the strawberry and pastry in check enough to really evoke the cooked filling of a rhubarb strawberry pie. There’s a magical fruit-floral combination (kind of like how really good fresh berries, the small wild ones you pick, smell like flowers, not just fruit) in the smell that also becomes the taste as it cools (and I couldn’t resist scooping some Bunny Graham mush out of the infuser basket for a taste, and it’s pumped full of that perfumed fruity flavor in a major way). I’m not getting tons of pastry or cinnamon/bakery spices here, a little as it cools (and what cinnamon I do taste does a good job of supporting and playing foil to the fruit flavor more than starring in itself…it lends a warming slight bitterness that really makes the fruit taste like cooked filling). And while that would just put it over the top, even without lots of it this tea is still gorgeous because of that heady floral perfectly balanced sweet-tart jamminess. I wish my rhubarb pie filling tasted this good. Also, and this might not sound like a plus but is in my case, the black tea base is so light as to be entirely in the wings. Normally I want to be able to taste the tea more, even with dessert flavored blends, but experience has taught me generally I don’t like the way black tea tastes with fruit, so this works just fine for me. Yummy!

EDIT: Actually, the crust comes out a lot more at the end of the cup, either through flavor build up or cooling, not sure. It’s light but sugary and lovely, a bit like a sugar cookie. Again, yummy!

Surprised to discover this resteeps ok too (with flavored blacks I often don’t even bother trying honestly, but hibiscus seems to do well resteeped so I went for it). Bonus!

Thanks for sharing this with me Sil!! This smells SO good. It kind of has a nice baked aroma to it. Oh my goodness. The flavor is awesome. There is a slight bitterness to it but as it cools it fades. It’s sweet and just a tad tart. The strawberry flavor is juicy and natural tasting. It even has kind of a pie crust taste going on. I reaalllyyy enjoyed this one! Thank you so much Sil!!

I love strawberry and rhubarb. It’s one of the only pies I like. I was delighted when Sil included this tea in with the other samples she sent me. I have been searching for a good strawberry tea that did not taste like Crystal Lite or chapstick and I think I have found it.

This was the most pleasant and natural tasting strawberry tea I have ever had. It tasted like a really ripe and juicy strawberry. I was also really surprised how much I loved the hibiscus in this one. It wasn’t overpowering at all and added a nice bite to it like rhubarb. I am also getting a bit of spice maybe cinnamon or clove. It’s bringing out a pie crust feel.

I think this may be the first strawberry tea that worked for me. I’m pretty picky when it comes to fruity teas but this was just perfect. I would buy pounds of this tea fairly comfortably without any guilt or panic. I will definitely be ordering a bunch of teas from Butiki because this one was just delicious.

Thanks to Sil for this sample.

Terri HarpLady

That sounds delicious!

Kittenna

Haha Terri, I’m sure a sample is coming your way shortly :P

Oh yay! So glad you liked this one grace! I highly recommend Stacy’s other teas :)

1940 tasting notes

One of my favorite pies has always been strawberry rhubarb, I grew up with my grandfather making it for us every Friday throughout the summer, so I knew that I had to try this tea. It smelled absolutely delicious steeping, although it was more sweet than I expected. I think the bunny grahams were a great addition, they add a real pie crust aspect to this tea and I wouldn’t have enjoyed it nearly as much without them. Although, I should have known better than to make this in my ingenuiTEA, they’re going to be a pain in the rear to clean out of it. I just wasn’t thinking this morning when I made this. I’m home with a sick toddler and was crossing my fingers that I’d have enough time to make some more tea before he puked on my bed again. That was not how I wanted to wake up this morning, it looks like today is just going to be one of those days.

Anyway, enough discussion about gross things and back to the tea

The strawberry tastes almost candy-like to me, even with the hibiscus added to give it a tart rhubarb like note. While most companies go overboard with the hibiscus, this is a great example of how to do it right. Thanks for including this in my order Stacy, I’m really glad I got to try it and it has certainly made my day a little brighter.

So, I know this is supposed to be pie. But Fiance and I used to help his grandma grow her rhubarb every year and she’d give us two pans of strawberry rhubarb sponge pudding in turn. The animal cracker bits and big chunks of strawberry really evoke that image to me. (The post steeped leaf even more so. Like. I want to get a spoon and eat it.)

The smell here is like sticking my nose in some warm strawberry jam. Where it smells sticky and sweet and you just want to sit there. I can pick up the hibiscus, but I’m not afraid of it.

The same jammy smell comes off the steeped leaf.

Can I just say? This was the best natural strawberry flavor I’ve ever had in a tea. It was sweet, but not cloying or candy-like. Just really juicy ripe strawberry sweet.

I’m also picking up a little floral with the strawberry. Then cinnamon which really pushed the feeling of pie crust into the next level for me. The end notes are where the tart notes come in and they really do remind me of rhubarb.

Stacy, your use of hibiscus is masterful here and adds a lot. I’m surprised to find, I don’t think I actually hate hibiscus…just lots of hibiscus.

Another great blend!