Root Beer Float Honeybush

Cream, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 3 g 12 oz / 362 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “So, I turned this into my own little float by adding a dollop of whipping cream to the top. Oh my goodness! Sooooo good. 2.25 tsp in 12 oz. Tasted like I underleafed a bit, even though I used...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1114 tasting notes
  • “This is a little more muted than normal but still quite good. I have one more cup worth left but I think this will be a restock. I have so few caffeine free options that I enjoy and so i think this...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1887 tasting notes
  • “It took me over three hours to fall asleep last night, so even though I doubt caffeine is the problem (most likely anxiety and/or an over-thinking brain), I'm going to start the day off with...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “Mmmm! I picked out some really good, non-fruity caffeine free teas to enjoy this evening. This was one of them! Mmm, yummy! I dread the day that this is a sipdown. Thankfully I have quite a bit...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1836 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Root Beer Float utilizes our caffeine-free Organic Honeybush base. This naturally sweet honeybush is enhanced with a mouthwatering root beer flavor that gives way to a creamy vanilla flavor that lingers. Gentle citrus, honey, and woody notes are also present. We recommend adding a touch of brown crystal sugar for a wonderful late night dessert treat.

Ingredients: Organic Honeybush, Organic Lotus Stamens, Organic Natural Flavoring (vegan)

Recommended Brew Time: 5 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoons of honeybush for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Time to get started on the overwhelming amount of tea that arrived today. Heyooo. I may just be up all night sipping away at tea after tea. But two upsides: 1. I have more tea, and 2. Now I can mail out some swaps that were waiting on the orders that came in today. Yes!

This one came my way from Stephanie. She’s pretty awesome.

Just yesterday I saw VariaTEA’s post on this one and decided I needed to get a sample with my next Butiki order, but I’ve been doing so many swaps I’d forgotten it was already en route haha.

I’m getting both the honeybush and root beer scents here. The honeybush is slightly stronger, but not by much. In the taste I’m getting is much more honeybush than root beer though. I have a feeling this one may be better cold. I have another cups worth though, so perhaps that’s just what I’ll do.

Yay! I’m so excited. I feel so privileged to get to try this. Unless I’m just sleepy and was stupid with the search, this tea is neither on Steepster’s database, nor is it available to purchase yet.

Anyway, I got a sample of this with my Butiki order. Stacy asked if I was interested, and I immediately responded with a resounding YES even though I detest all kinds of soda, and I’ve never had honeybush ever. It just sounded so fascinating, I had to try it.

I held out the dry leaf to everybody and asked what they thought it smelled like without telling them what it was. They all said rootbeer! You know when something smells authentic when you can tell that story. :) Anyway, this smells and tastes so much like rootbeer that it’s mind blowing. Even though I’m drinking it hot, it feels so much like I have a glass of rootbeer, that I can almost swear there’s even fizz in this, haha.

Now, I don’t really taste “float” (AKA ice cream) but I’m drinking this without sugar, so it’s entirely possible that you’ll get more of an ice creamy flavor with sugar. This tastes so much like rootbeer, that it’s actually unbelievable. I honestly didn’t think this was possible.

For anyone who even mildly likes rootbeer, definitely pick some of this up when it’s available! :)

Butiki Teas

I think you are the only customer that has tried this. :) I don’t remember sending it out to anyone else. I’m pretty sure you had an early version of this honeybush. We have been working on increasing the “float”. I’m glad that you are enjoying it! :)

OMGsrsly

That sounds right up my alley! Definitely putting it on the list for the next order. :)

CrowKettle

This sounds fantastic! Adding it to my list as well. :)

Hmmm. The dry leaf smells exactly like root beer, with a touch of sweetness and creaminess. Brewed, this is exactly like root beer. Down to the fizziness (how do you get something to taste fizzy without actually being fizzy anyway?). A touch of sugar brings out the vanilla creaminess more.

This tea lives up to the name. However, I just learned that drinking hot soda is not enjoyable for me. High marks for high quality, but low marks because I just don’t like tea a la soda. Thanks to Stacy at Butiki Teas for the sample!

Yay! Another honeybush!
Hot, this tastes a little weird. Cold though, it is delicious. Root beer without the fizziness, and with some creaminess like ice cream. I will add sweetener next time to make it a real treat.
I will be drinking lots of this in the summer!

This tea smells like the perfect, smooth combination of honeybush and root beer.. pretty incredible! I didn’t think it was possible to recreate something so unique as root beer in something like tea, but the scent of this tea has changed my belief!

Sipping… I’m getting almost a carbonated bite from the root beer flavor. The root beer fades into a honeybush finish. I’m actually glad that the honeybush isn’t too prominent and that it’s mostly covered up by the root beer. I’m also pleased that the root beer isn’t too spicy. Still not too much ice cream flavor here.. my favorite part of a root beer float, but I’m still so happy that this tea can be so spot on as far as a root beer soda flavor is concerned. Wish that there was more creamy vanilla ice cream flavor, but this made a very enjoyable cup this evening.

I thought it would be fun to do a side-by-side, haven’t done one of those in a long time (and I had my alphabetized “control group-standard” tea cups out anyway). And I’m wired from all the pu erh (Yowza! Definitely a “one serving resteeped all morning’ll do ya” thing) so no-cafs are the only option. Aaaaand once again this is a generous sample from Stacy. (I feel a little bad because I mentioned the top 3 picks for samples in the “note to seller” box meaning any 1 would be great, and I got all 3. Super nice!) So here we go. This versus Utopia Rooibos Root Beer. It’s not entirely a fair comparison in that this is honeybush (a less distracting base than rooibos, I find) and Utopia’s is rooibos, and this is meant to be a float and Utopia’s is simply labeled root beer. But! I will just try to keep those factors in mind.

Dry, Utopia has a much stronger root beer, barky/rooty-soda (think birch beer, sarsaparilla, sassafras)-type smell. Steeping, it’s spicier smelling upfront too, though that dwindles the longer it steeps. Even though it doesn’t aim to be like a float, it has a lot of vanilla, as root beer tends to anyway. Butiki’s steeping aroma, while more subdued, has a specific black pepper-y note I dig though.

Onto the taste! Since I’m guessing Butiki’s is going to be subtler, I’ll start with that one. It tastes good and smells even better. It is surprisingly a bit thick on the tongue for a no-caf, which I like. After a couple sips I added a little sugar as recommended (I just about always find the precise recommendations for Butiki’s teas dead-on helpful, so I always follow them). That brings out the soda quality more, somehow making it taste a little fizzy. The creamy float quality comes in at the end of the sip; it’s subtle, but the vanilla is a delicious one. As it cools, it gets much creamier and is really yummy.

Utopia’s is a lot stronger and spicier, still surprisingly thick and a tad creamy, and sweeter in a chemical-y way. It has a hard to describe aftertaste, first chemical-y and a little unwelcome but eventually seguing into licorice root sweetness. I have to say I’m really impressed with how little I taste the rooibos (I don’t mind rooibos really, but I’ve noticed it can be hard to tamp down enough to keep from distracting from intended flavorings…it’s a very distinct thing that, once you notice is hard to ignore). The spiciness and strength of Utopia’s evokes the aforementioned more unusual rooty beers, stuff like sassafras and sarsaparilla.

I’m not terribly surprised at the results here—Butiki’s being softer, subtler, but delicious; Utopia’s being sharper, very bold and kind of spicy if a little chemical—but am pleased to learn I like both and would drink either or both again happily. Good to know as it saves me some sugar, as I’m unwilling to drink diet root beer. (:

Second tea bought from Butiki. First of all, the smell. When you smell the leaves it smells so nice. Then when you steep it, the room fills with that smell and you just can’t wait for the tea to steep before you can take a sip. The taste is decent, not overpowering and definitely root beery. The flavors goes away in about 30 seconds and leaves no aftertaste. A very decent brew, thanks Stacy.

This was refreshing iced last night when my AC was not working correctly. It even tickled my nose on the first sniff like real rootbeer sometimes does. I do prefer it hot most of the time. It has a light creamy root beery taste. I love that it is caffeine free with honeybush. When I first ordered it I was hoping my son would like it so we could share it until I realized it would not happen, he is a root beer snob and nothing will be as good as the ones he gets on special occasions.

Of course because I already placed my order I wish I got more, it was hard deciding. I was positive I knew what I was getting and I some how managed to spend 4hrs hours changing it multiple times and missed my chance for sleep.

Last of my Butiki samples.

This is a pretty perfect root beer flavor. Not sure I’m getting the “float” part of it. The slightly woodsy flavor naturally occurring in honeybush is just right for root beer. It’s kind of making my crave an actual root beer float. Maybe it’s just that I spent a nice hot afternoon in the garden. Ugh. Gardening should be done on cloudy days or mid-morning. Too early and you become mosquito food.

Is it too late to plant oregano seeds?

Anyway! Back to tea! Root beer always reminds me of my childhood. I remember one hot sunny day, dad picked my sister and me up from school. He carried our backpacks as we walked home. Halfway there, us kids spotted an ice cream truck and begged dad to get us something. Somehow he indulged us and we each got a giant (so it seemed at the time) cup of root beer float. I don’t know how much of it I had before I gave the rest up to dad. I had no appetite for dinner. That memory always makes me feel warm and loved. Dads are the best.

Stacy very kindly threw this in as an extra sample in my recent Butiki order, and I’m really glad she did. It’s not one I ever would’ve picked out for myself—I pretty much never drink soda and don’t think of myself as a root beer fan, although I loved it as a kid. And this really does taste just like root beer, just not sweet. It’s even sort of creamy, hence the float part. I tried this both hot and cold—I cold-steeped my leftover leaves—and, while hot root beer doesn’t sound great, I found this blend (surprisingly?) delicious either way. I don’t come across too many honeybush-based blends, but this one’s making me wish I did—it’s much smoother, far less woody, and maybe a bit sweeter than (red) rooibos.