Irish Breakfast

Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Butiki Teas

From Butiki Teas

Our Irish Breakfast combines our Khongea Golden Tippy Assam and Hattialli Golden Lion Assam with our Organic Ceylon. This strong malty breakfast tea has chocolate, raisin, oak, tobacco, and bready notes with a citrus finish. Irish Breakfast is smooth and sweet with a light astringent finish. We recommend adding an additional 1/2 teaspoon of tea per serving when used with milk or sugar or if a stronger brew is preferred.

Ingredients: Khongea Golden Tippy Assam, Organic Ceylon, Hattialli Golden Lion Assam

Recommended Brew Time: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Recommended Amount: 1 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F (boiling)

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

Well crap the store is busy! I guess a whole bunch of people waited until last minute for their Christmas shopping to get done. It’s going to be fun squeaking in time to log my work teas today (but at leas the shift will go by quickly)!

Anyway, I actually had this in the morning before I left for work, while I was getting ready. I wanted to get in as many sipdowns as possible today because I’m sitting at 136 (before counting what I’ll get from the 12 Days exchange, a few swaps I’m expecting, two Black Friday orders I’m still waiting on, and a couple other orders to boot) – most of which is in large quantity, and that’s a scary number. I also have half a jug of milk to use up which’ll be going bad any day now, so those were both things I took into consideration in picking my morning tea.

It’s not often I reach for an unflavoured tea over a flavoured one – but this was one of few things I had in a quantity that I could sipdown. I recieved this as a one cup sample from Stacy which she threw into my last Butiki order, generously on top of the two other samples I had requested. I actually really like most straight blacks – I just happen to like flavoured blacks a little more.

Dry, the leaf smells nice and bold with some oak notes. There was a subtle sweetness to the leaf as well. For preparation, I used the prepackaged amount in 8 oz. of boiling water, steeped for about 3 min. and 45 seconds. The steeped smell was very bold, rich and malty, with a mild sweetness to it and just a touch of astringency on the tail. I ended up drinking the first third of my cup straight (no additives) and it was super good and definitely provided a nice wake up slap.

The last two thirds had a splash of milk added in, but no sugar (I hate adding sugar to tea). With the milk added, it was still very smooth and malty with creamier sort of chocolate notes (very subtle, though) and a richness of a different sort and no astringency. This too was very lovely to drink first thing in the morning. I think I preferred it this way, but only slightly.

I’m very disappointed now this didn’t make it into my Black Friday order and Stacy is all out of this (version of the) blend now, for a while. This is a straight black I could definitely see myself drinking often as a morning tea (not so much any other time of the day, though). Oh well.

9/10 – would totally drink again if given the chance. A very sad sipdown, indeed. I’ll keep my eyes out for the opportunity to acquire angina in swaps and such, and I’m sure I’ll eventually try the new version. Also, I do have some Taiwanese Wild Mountain Black to try, too…

Loved this nice strong cup of full leaf Irish breakfast tea. I made a pot of it for the family and only told them it was Irish breakfast so they assumed it was the same blend we usually have. I got two comments of “What tea is this again? It’s really good.” Thanks Stacy for yet another amazing blend!

Boiling
TheTeaFairy

Haha! Way to go , nothing lime a good tea trick!

So, I told myself that I’d try this Irish Breakfast out tomorrow morning for breakfast, but I couldn’t resist trying it out now. I’m so glad I did.

This is delicious! Malty and smooth, with a hint of astringency. A bit of sweetness, too. Quite a polite Irish Breakfast, unlike some others I’ve had that were more of a kick-in-the-face-and-yell-my-brain-awake type breakfast teas. I’ll probably brew this on the stronger end for the mornings.

A nice, robust (yet relatively smooth when I steeped it at around 190-F), malty tasting tea. I use it for straight forward, classic tasting iced tea. I bet it is good as a latte as well, will have to try that.

This was a nice quality full leaf, and it brewed up quite nicely…but there was no real malt to it. I tried this with a splash of 2% milk, which is how I enjoy my morning cup of Assam. So, nothing at all wrong with the quality, just not the one for me.

First tasting note!! Irish Breakfast is one of my staples. This one was a little weak for me and not too much flavor but I still liked it and would buy it again.

I’m not usually a breakfast blend sorta girl, preferring to go right for m y Tiger Assam for the roughest of mornings, but I am surrounded by samples that are demanding attention. So here goes!

y eyes are still lidded and heavy because I didn’t sleep enough the past 2 days, but I don’t think I can blame the tea for that. It’s trying it’s best.

It’s really dark and malty, and I think I’m getting bread notes from it as well. It’s an interesting mix! I suspect it’ll taste better once it cools a bit. I might just add a splash of milk to it to help it cool so I can get more wake-up-juice in me STAT! (235)

…the other one from Terri in my morning comparison. This one is just a little more smooth than the malty irish breakfast, and therefore wins me over just a little bit more. This is a smooth, strong cup of tea that makes me happy.

Terri HarpLady

and your happiness makes me happy! :)

This was a surprise sample from a swap with Courtney – she very kindly sent me no less than two irish breakfast mixes and a couple other surprises. The tealux cream irish breakfast was a hit, and this one, while a much more classic breakfast mix it´s also a winner.

This is a much more classic breakfast mix and a really lovely one. I do not love it quite at the level of my current breakfast infatuation (Mariage Freres´s American Breakfast) which seems to be just a bit more everything including more chocolatey (without actually having any cocoa on it) but this would definetely be very welcome on my tea shelf.

Ysaurella

this one was a miss for me, too bitter but may need to retry with a lower temperature and quicker steep

cteresa

I added sweetener and milk, which is probably so inappropriate but something I need if I am doing a breakfast blend for breakfast. I did not notice the bitterness then, it was lovely indeed (though american breakfast is still top rated for me!)

Grr! There are beagles (from god knows where) running all over the neighborhood and yapping nonstop, and our bullmastiffs think they absolutely have to eat them and are thundering around the house bellowing.

I’ve had this sample from Butiki for forever and never paid any mind until last night, as I was working on my program notes and decided to go with a peppy black tea.

I did the 212 degrees at 3.5 minutes like Stacy said, and it was actually quite a pleasant cup. My understanding of Irish Breakfast is that it’s supposed to be quite strong (my one other Irish Breakfast was QUITE strong), but last night’s cup was rather mellow. A bit of that breakfast-tea almost-not-quite-mushroominess, but really no astringency. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for in a breakfast tea, but no complaints from me.

I did a resteep this morning for about 5 minutes. It was a tad bit stronger at first, but with the subsequent sips it’s mellowed.

And now for one of the pieces I’m doing notes on. The third movement (the first one in this vid) took my breath away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTAMISjMLS0

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Anna

I had to reread this three times, because I thought it said, ‘bagels’ (still in breakfast mode) and it was really confusing to me that they’d be running all over the neighbourhood.

K S

Anna you just put a very funny image in my head. :) We have a chihuahua mix so Spike just has stay in when the neighbors dogs run the neighborhood. There are leash laws but the neighbors ignore them. Kind of makes me wish I had bull mastiffs to accidentally on purpose turn loose.

Butiki Teas

Anna-Hahaha, I had the same issue. How could anyone be angry at bagels?

Fjellrev

Is there a bylaw where you are that pets should be on leashes?

TeaKlutz

OMG Anna that is too funny. Fjellrev – I have no idea if there’s any kind of law like that out here or not. If there is, our neighbors (and just people living within the general 1-mile radius) don’t seem to know or give a hoot. :P