Oriental Beauty

Oolong Tea
Maple, Plums, Spices, Wood, Honey, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Hay, Molasses, Raisins, Earth, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “I had a lovely cup of this today - i really need to try stacys other steeping parameters since i always brew it for 4 mins. I quite like this one (for an oolong) and find the more i drink it, the...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5111 tasting notes
  • “Lovely lovely lovely! Lovely to look upon, with all it's various shades of color. Lovely to taste, with it's honey apricot sweetness. I shared a pot of this with a student, & when he commented...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3015 tasting notes
  • “Hello Steepster friends, it's been a while... I had plans to go hiking with Doberman Dexter this morning. We woke up at dawn, just the way I like it (yes, I'm a night AND a morning person, not...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 408 tasting notes
  • “Stacy was so generous to include this in my little sample bundle. Thank you kindly, Stacy! The scent of the dry leaf really took me by surprise. It reminded me of autumn, so I tried to break it...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 835 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Oriental Beauty is organic and utilizes the Chin Xin oolong varietal. Originating from Hungshan in the Anhui province of China, this oolong is crafted by tea master Shan Zhen Chen. Our Oriental Beauty is made from young shoots and is heavily fermented (60-70%), heavily withered (13-25%), and lightly roasted. This gorgeous tea contains leaves that vary in color, including: silver, gold, forest, auburn, cocoa, and charcoal colors. Rich honey notes linger and mingle with apricot, macadamia nut, and orchid notes. Some pastry-like notes are present and pairs well with the sweetness of this oolong, which provides a flavor somewhat reminiscent of funnel cake. We also recommend brewing this tea using 1 teaspoon of Oriental Beauty per 8oz of 180F degree water and steeping the tea for 6 minutes for a different brew.

Ingredients: Organic Chinese Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 195 F degrees

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

Not surprisingly, this is a wonderful oolong tea! It has that familiar floral aroma I find so soothing in an oolong, but with a strong honey note to it. (Because of the leafhoppers?) As for the taste, it has very prominent honey notes, possibly the strongest that I’ve noticed in a tea so far. The first steep also had a floral note that reminded me of lilacs, and a hint of something fruity, possibly plum. There was a soft roasted aftertaste, with a little bit of dryness (which I love!). I wouldn’t call it astringency— just a slight powdery dryness that lingered pleasantly on the tongue.

This is a lovely tea, great for multiple steeps. I’ll have to try it gongfu style sometime!

This tea was good. The brewed tea had a beautiful golden color. There was only a touch of bitterness in the early steepings then none. There were definite notes of plums and honey.

I really liked this tea, a lot. I will eventually want to order it but not right away.

I brewed this tea five times in a 180ml teapot with 6g leaf and 190 degree water. I steeped it for 15 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 sec. There were probably three more steepings to this tea, it wasn’t played out but I am at my caffeine limit for the night.

Flavors: Honey, Plums

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 180 OZ / 5323 ML

Round, gently sweet sip. Refreshing aftertaste, almost minty. My dad threw out my leaf after two steeps and before I could take any substantive notes. This is one of my pricier teas at over $1 per cup, so I was not super happy about this. It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it was annoying. Proper tasting note to follow at some point.

Yay, another Butiki sample from Sarsonator! I’ve become very curious about oxidized oolongs since trying the Eastern Beauty from Green Terrace, and anything from Butiki is sure to be good. :D The leaves look very similar to the Eastern Beauty – they’re very dark brown/purple with some silvery spots. They seem so fragile, and are very lightweight. I found that this tea has almost no dry scent, just a little bit of hay and autumn leaves. I followed the instructions on Butiki’s website: 2 teaspoons at 195 degrees for 4 minutes.

The brewed aroma is very floral, which surprised me! There’s also some fruity sweetness, and a strong honey note. This actually tastes quite different from the Eastern Beauty that I had before. It’s much more floral, which is not generally my favorite note, but it’s not terrible here. There’s a fruit taste which I would identify as tart but sweet plums along with a deeper raisin-like flavor. The background is all autumn leaves and hay, with a richness that reminds me of molasses. And obviously there’s that honeyed sweetness (this is a leafhopper tea, after all), but honestly I was expecting it to be stronger based on the aroma.

Very good, both similar and different from the one I had previously tried! Thanks Sars!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Hay, Honey, Molasses, Plums, Raisins

Sarsonator

Next time I will put instructions on the packs. I don’t know what I was thinking! Bad Sarsy!

Cameron B.

Oh, I don’t mind looking them up! :) Totally not an issue.

boychik

I really like Teavivre OB. Strong peaches and plums, some grapes and nuts. I gongfu it.

boychik

I have a sample of Butiki OB, saving it for tomorrow for Stacy’s Bday.

Cameron B.

I’ll most likely order at least a sample of it from TeaVivre during their black and oolong sale. :)

boychik

I wish I was in NY. I would send you a sample before sale starts. It’s seriously very good. And the price was great on sale. Don’t order a sample I will send it to you.

Ooosh. I don’t know about Oriental Beauty. It is very earthy. Like ear-thay. Something that could almost be something like honey at the beginning of the sip but not quite, imo. Oh no, this really is not for me. I’m sorry cup of tea, I hate to waste :( I will not rate this, because it is not BAD, but I really dislike that earthy taste.

Method: 2 tsp, 8 oz, 195 degrees, 4 minutes, For life mug strainer & Dr. Who mug

Dry Leaf Aroma: fruit, floral, a little hint of seaweed

Brewing Aroma: sweetness and raisins, other non-specific fruit

Flavor: Yum. This has a lightly fruity taste, and is mildly sweet. This one made me smile. It has a tiny tinge of astringency, nothing drastic, which became more noticeable as it cooled. This also reminded me a little of tobacco. But I think that tobacco smells like raisins, so maybe that’s where it came from. This one was a winner for me!!!!

Another faux sipdown (aka sipped down from physical cupboard, but not Steepster cupboard). Last time I tried this tea, I didn’t really pick up on all the subtleties that everyone else seemed to be finding. This time around, I did taste that strong honey note at the end. It strangely also left a bit of a sour sensation in my mouth afterward. Interesting. Anyway, despite getting some more flavors this time, I still am not enamored with this tea. It’s a nice tea, but doesn’t seem all that special to me. Plus, there’s a bit of astringency that isn’t that great. At least I finally got to try an Oriental Beauty oolong!

Flavors: Honey

Hey Steepster it has been a few weeks. I am going to be MIA quite a bit this fall. I will be drinking tea, just won’t be able to hang out much on Steepster.

I had this gong fu style last night. It was a really tasty treat. It tasted very cake like to me last night It was very sweet and a very nice surprise. I have enough for maybe one or two more cups and this marvelous tea will be gone from my cupboard.

This one reminds me of The Black Lotus, the differences I can clearly taste are: Black Lotus has strong Assam influence, it has more raisin in it while this one is more pure honey, its seems less complex to me. Lovely tea though, very enjoyable.