Oriental Beauty

Oolong Tea
Cinnamon, Raisins, Rooibos, Maple, Plums, Spices, Wood, Honey, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Hay, Molasses, Earth, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

Our Oriental Beauty is organic and utilizes the Chin Xin oolong varietal. Originating from Hungshan in the Anhui province of China, this oolong is crafted by tea master Shan Zhen Chen. Our Oriental Beauty is made from young shoots and is heavily fermented (60-70%), heavily withered (13-25%), and lightly roasted. This gorgeous tea contains leaves that vary in color, including: silver, gold, forest, auburn, cocoa, and charcoal colors. Rich honey notes linger and mingle with apricot, macadamia nut, and orchid notes. Some pastry-like notes are present and pairs well with the sweetness of this oolong, which provides a flavor somewhat reminiscent of funnel cake. We also recommend brewing this tea using 1 teaspoon of Oriental Beauty per 8oz of 180F degree water and steeping the tea for 6 minutes for a different brew.

Ingredients: Organic Chinese Oolong Tea

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 2 teaspoons of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 195 F degrees

For more information, please visit: www.butikiteas.com.

About Butiki Teas View company

While I have no clue what this should taste like… I am going to explain it how it taste to me.

As I drink this and listen to Of Monsters and Men, I imagine tea being grown in a public pool that nobody pees in. This tea was plucked from that area ,dried out, and processed as an oolong to be sold to consumers such as I to be drank. Many people will drink this and not taste what I taste, but I taste some sort of clean pool tea nectar.

Frickin’ weird experience… how does one rate this? I assume that any pool that has me continually drinking from its produce must be pretty dang amazing so, yeah…

p.s. I am not insane…

Cwyn

But. Are you high?

Liquid Proust

I was not and am still not high. Maybe I should write differently… it is just hard with all the voices in my head, you know?
^
I’m just kidding :p
Dang, I can’t take this serious. If Steepster had a way for me to upload my reviews via 10 second video clips you might understand more, my personality is quite potent.

I enjoy this – it is very sweet from the honey notes, and I can definitely taste a competing mix of warmth and fresh fruitiness. It isn’t the end all be all of oolong for me, but I will very much enjoy every last cup.

Oriental Beauty served with pumpkin and pecan pie while I watch Gothum. Basically everything is simply perfect!

Raw leaf smells of musty maple.
Steeping:
Leaf – 5g
Water – 90C
Method – Gaiwan 200ml

In flavour this is light, sweet, wooden and nutty. Also getting a hint of spice and plum. Very clean tasting and the sweetness is wonderful. Has a light dry and nutty after taste.

I think this has been the best Oriental Beauty I have tried. :)

Flavors: Maple, Plums, Spices, Wood

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

that sounds like such a delicious food pairing!

Not surprisingly, this is a wonderful oolong tea! It has that familiar floral aroma I find so soothing in an oolong, but with a strong honey note to it. (Because of the leafhoppers?) As for the taste, it has very prominent honey notes, possibly the strongest that I’ve noticed in a tea so far. The first steep also had a floral note that reminded me of lilacs, and a hint of something fruity, possibly plum. There was a soft roasted aftertaste, with a little bit of dryness (which I love!). I wouldn’t call it astringency— just a slight powdery dryness that lingered pleasantly on the tongue.

This is a lovely tea, great for multiple steeps. I’ll have to try it gongfu style sometime!

This tea was good. The brewed tea had a beautiful golden color. There was only a touch of bitterness in the early steepings then none. There were definite notes of plums and honey.

I really liked this tea, a lot. I will eventually want to order it but not right away.

I brewed this tea five times in a 180ml teapot with 6g leaf and 190 degree water. I steeped it for 15 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, and 30 sec. There were probably three more steepings to this tea, it wasn’t played out but I am at my caffeine limit for the night.

Flavors: Honey, Plums

190 °F / 87 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 180 OZ / 5323 ML

Round, gently sweet sip. Refreshing aftertaste, almost minty. My dad threw out my leaf after two steeps and before I could take any substantive notes. This is one of my pricier teas at over $1 per cup, so I was not super happy about this. It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it was annoying. Proper tasting note to follow at some point.

Yay, another Butiki sample from Sarsonator! I’ve become very curious about oxidized oolongs since trying the Eastern Beauty from Green Terrace, and anything from Butiki is sure to be good. :D The leaves look very similar to the Eastern Beauty – they’re very dark brown/purple with some silvery spots. They seem so fragile, and are very lightweight. I found that this tea has almost no dry scent, just a little bit of hay and autumn leaves. I followed the instructions on Butiki’s website: 2 teaspoons at 195 degrees for 4 minutes.

The brewed aroma is very floral, which surprised me! There’s also some fruity sweetness, and a strong honey note. This actually tastes quite different from the Eastern Beauty that I had before. It’s much more floral, which is not generally my favorite note, but it’s not terrible here. There’s a fruit taste which I would identify as tart but sweet plums along with a deeper raisin-like flavor. The background is all autumn leaves and hay, with a richness that reminds me of molasses. And obviously there’s that honeyed sweetness (this is a leafhopper tea, after all), but honestly I was expecting it to be stronger based on the aroma.

Very good, both similar and different from the one I had previously tried! Thanks Sars!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Hay, Honey, Molasses, Plums, Raisins

Sarsonator

Next time I will put instructions on the packs. I don’t know what I was thinking! Bad Sarsy!

Cameron B.

Oh, I don’t mind looking them up! :) Totally not an issue.

boychik

I really like Teavivre OB. Strong peaches and plums, some grapes and nuts. I gongfu it.

boychik

I have a sample of Butiki OB, saving it for tomorrow for Stacy’s Bday.

Cameron B.

I’ll most likely order at least a sample of it from TeaVivre during their black and oolong sale. :)

boychik

I wish I was in NY. I would send you a sample before sale starts. It’s seriously very good. And the price was great on sale. Don’t order a sample I will send it to you.

Ooosh. I don’t know about Oriental Beauty. It is very earthy. Like ear-thay. Something that could almost be something like honey at the beginning of the sip but not quite, imo. Oh no, this really is not for me. I’m sorry cup of tea, I hate to waste :( I will not rate this, because it is not BAD, but I really dislike that earthy taste.

Method: 2 tsp, 8 oz, 195 degrees, 4 minutes, For life mug strainer & Dr. Who mug

Dry Leaf Aroma: fruit, floral, a little hint of seaweed

Brewing Aroma: sweetness and raisins, other non-specific fruit

Flavor: Yum. This has a lightly fruity taste, and is mildly sweet. This one made me smile. It has a tiny tinge of astringency, nothing drastic, which became more noticeable as it cooled. This also reminded me a little of tobacco. But I think that tobacco smells like raisins, so maybe that’s where it came from. This one was a winner for me!!!!

Another faux sipdown (aka sipped down from physical cupboard, but not Steepster cupboard). Last time I tried this tea, I didn’t really pick up on all the subtleties that everyone else seemed to be finding. This time around, I did taste that strong honey note at the end. It strangely also left a bit of a sour sensation in my mouth afterward. Interesting. Anyway, despite getting some more flavors this time, I still am not enamored with this tea. It’s a nice tea, but doesn’t seem all that special to me. Plus, there’s a bit of astringency that isn’t that great. At least I finally got to try an Oriental Beauty oolong!

Flavors: Honey