The Black Lotus

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 13 oz / 370 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

This English Breakfast blend combines the best of three worlds, including some of our favorite teas from three different regions. Our Premium Taiwanese Assam adds chocolate and raisin notes and delivers a delicious malty flavor, while the Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special conveys almond, jasmine, and citrus notes. Finally, the Congou Keemun adds a touch of earthiness and mushroom notes. These premium teas blend well together to create a complex malty yet smooth breakfast tea that merits the name The Black Lotus.

Ingredients: Premium Taiwanese Assam, Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special, Congou Keemun

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F degrees

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

So I sorta panicked and purchased this the day it came out… :)

Anyway, I definitely agree with an earlier description that this tastes expensive, because it totally does. xD

The scent of the tea is mainly that of Premium Taiwanese Assam, and the cocoa-y notes are dominant at the beginning. At the swallow you get refreshing fruity notes from the Darjeeling, and surrounding the entire flavor is the damp earthy flavor from the Congou Keemun.

What’s nice about this breakfast tea is that it isn’t incredibly strong and bitter like a lot of others. Instead it’s flavorful, and refreshing. I’m drinking this as a bit of an early evening pick-me-up and it’s doing the trick quite nicely! At the same time though, it isn’t so refreshing that it has a thin texture, it’s still nice and malty and is just right! It’s the baby bear of breakfast tea ;)

This is a nice blend. It’s smooth and sweet and malty, with notes of cocoa and earth. There’s a pleasant fruity aftertaste, although I’m not sure I’m picking up on anything distinctly citrus. I don’t know that this is quite bold enough to work as a breakfast tea for me (at least not during the week); Butiki’s Irish Breakfast is still my preference as far as that goes. But I’ll certainly be enjoying this as an afternoon blend.

I’ll chime in with other reviewers who were pleased with this very nicely blended English Breakfast tea. I was lured by the description on the website and the sale price and I’m so glad I placed the order. I love the smooth, malty, sweetness of it, and the lack of astringency/bitterness. Black Lotus is right up my alley!

This was actually a last minute addition to my last order that Stacy was awesome enough to let me add. It just sounded too tempting and the sale didn’t hurt either. Lol.
Even though I have plenty of other teas that have been waiting longer for me to try, I grabbed this one out of the bin to have tonight. Let me say that trying to measure this tea is worse than measuring the Caramel Vanilla Assam. Stupid huge wiry leaves and all. I finally got it measured, and weighed it so that I don’t have to fuss with the spoon again, dropped it in my steeper and got to brewing.
The wet leaf has a malty, kinda sweet/fruity, kinda almost a green bean (?) smell to it. It’s very hard to describe for me because my brain apparently decided to short out on descriptive words tonight. But difficulty aside, it’s not an unpleasant smell. Very nice actually. Lol.
The brew itself is kinda roasty and malty, and very standard black tea smell, but enough to make my mouth water a bit. I almost didn’t want to wait until it cooled enough for me to drink it without burning my mouth.
The taste has an excellent strong black tea taste to it, malty and fruity and wonderful. It’s also got a sweetness to it that surprised me. And no astringency! If there’s one reason I needed to reorder this, it would be because this tea has no astringency for me at all. Combined with the taste and I’m pretty sure I’d be ordering this again. Halfway through the cup I did end up adding a bit of cane sugar (different from my normal Truvia because the cane sugar was closer), but I found that nothing really came out more to me with the addition and that I’d probly be fine without it the next time I brew it, this tea has so much going on with it already.
I did try a second brew because that’d be over the top if it was multi-brew. But unfortuantely it was a dissapointment. Brewed 5:30 min at the same temp as above (210*) and I got rather weak black tea with none of the amazing tastes of the first brew. So this is a one steep wonder for me, sad, but most black teas are like that I’m finding. No big loss since that first steep is amazing. I’m tempted to try this with a gaiwan when I start actually using my gaiwan, just to see how the flavors come out.
Overall very very nice tea. I’d definitely consider reordering this in the future.

I received this as a sample with my Butiki order and I am so glad I did and I now need more! It is a great tea…chocolate, almond, earthiness, a great breakfast tea. I brewed it as recommended and drank it straight and it was a delight…YUM!

This is an enjoyable breakfast blend. Since I am drawn to assams on their own and in blends, it is different from the breakfast blends I normally prefer. In my batch of this tea, the darjeeling dominates the blend (not the assam or the keemun). It is a blend worth buying – high quality and good value (I’ve been able to enjoy a strong resteep each of the three times I’ve prepared this tea).

Very good breakfast tea, but I’ll need to try it again to be able to pick up on all the different flavours. The last few weeks I drank a lot of chinese black teas with strong chocolate notes, I feel like this one is lighter because of the darjeeling and congou keemun.

This is of course delicious. Great as a morning tea because it has a little punch. It is malty with nutty, chocolate, raisin, and earthy notes. Those were the most prominent notes. There was also a tiny hint of a little floral in the background.

Oh boy, I think this is getting added to the list of all time Faves! It is delicious. I love Assam teas and this one has a strong influence of it, but the blend offers a sweeter, richer aroma. I had to do a double take the first time I smelled it. Wow, it smells like honey, raisins, melted sugar, gosh if melted gold had a smell this is what it would smell like, hah. If I inhale deeper I can separate the smell of Assam and the hints of Jasmine, and something sweet. So I steeped it strong (how I usually like my black teas) and on the second steeping added some rock sugar, it is delicious. It really seems to be a high quality blend, with lovely large, dark leaves and produces a dark golden, color of honey liquor. Awesome experience, like drinking pure honey, mind blown! Love it.

There is some thing in this tea that I’m not supposed to like…..I am a solid breakfast blend drinker. I went to teavana yesterday to try a few “properly brewed” white, herbals and oolongs….. They tasted like water out of a flower vase to me. I need earthy, malty strength to stand up to rock sugar and milk. But yet, here I am, staring at the puny little package that I bought from Butiki, KNOWING I will be ordering again.

First sip, I was a bit panicked. Something greenish and floral this way came. Eeeyyyeeew. I think perhaps it was the Darjeeling, which I don’t drink… But interestingly, instead of dumping the cup, I kept sipping. Watching Olympic hockey… The mug kept distracting me…. Really? From HOCKEY? The tea began to take on an almost beer-like maltiness and the offending green became more tempered… I don’t drink, but I imagine that this is the process that makes wine connoisseurs so avid. This tea was a wee journey for my mouth…. not a road I’d usually travel, but a road all the same . I’m glad I bought rock sugar yesterday, because I would have used honey, and it would have changed the subtlety I experienced.
As someone else posted, this wouldn’t be my choice for my early morning. My mouth isn’t awake enough to appreciate what this tea has to offer. It is more like a midmorning cup, when you don’t know how you’re going to get through the rest of the day work, and it’s only 10:30 in the morning. That’s when this cup of tea will be a nice change of scenery

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML