The Black Lotus

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 g 12 oz / 344 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

This English Breakfast blend combines the best of three worlds, including some of our favorite teas from three different regions. Our Premium Taiwanese Assam adds chocolate and raisin notes and delivers a delicious malty flavor, while the Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special conveys almond, jasmine, and citrus notes. Finally, the Congou Keemun adds a touch of earthiness and mushroom notes. These premium teas blend well together to create a complex malty yet smooth breakfast tea that merits the name The Black Lotus.

Ingredients: Premium Taiwanese Assam, Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special, Congou Keemun

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F degrees

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This is a great blend. The Darjeeling lends a candy floral sweetness (I also enjoy the Giddapahar Darjeeling as a standalone). The Assam adds a malty backbone for that floral sweetness to stand on, with just a hint of the keemun in the background. It’s very light and refreshing for an English Breakfast blend.

Flavors: Flowers, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I really shouldn’t be drinking black tea, my insomnia has been out of control lately…but since I am going to be awake all night anyway, I might as well be alert and get something accomplished! So the aroma of the dry leaves didn’t really strike me, there was some, but it was distant, woody, and a bit chocolaty. The brewed leaves are much the same, they smell really good, not overly strong, but good!

Oh man, the liquid is really rich, sweet and cocoa filled with muscatel and a touch of forest loam. That taste is mellow, and I even accidentally let it over steep a bit (forgot to put on the timer and got distracted painting a monster…oops) but it is not bitter.

Sweet, muscatel, loamy, chocolaty…so many notes, and all of them really tasty. I even detect a bit of fruitiness at the finish.

2068 tasting notes

Butiki really is a great company for straight black teas and this is no exception. It is slightly astringent but mostly it is malty and sweet with notes of caramel and fruits. Great, as to be expected, but at the same time, not better than any of the straight blacks I already have in quantity so though I am super thankful to Inkling for the taste of this that I got before its gone, I am not heartbroken I won’t be having it again. 183.

Another fantastic offering from Butiki! This one is surprisingly smooth for a breakfast blend. I don’t notice any astringency and I didn’t feel the need to add milk, which is unusual for me. But in spite of being so smooth, it’s still strong, flavorful, and malty. It also re-steeps beautifully.

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Malt, Raisins

Another lovely offering from Butiki. This one is a mixture of black tea leaves of various sizes, mostly very dark and twisty, with a few green leaves and golden frayed ones. It’s hard to believe from the aroma that there’s nothing but tea leaves in this blend, there’s such a bouquet of varying kinds of sweetness. The tea brews up to a clear, golden amber color. The flavor is malty and sweet, with a rich, complex feel and a lingering fuzzy finish that almost resembles a “golden” Yunnan black tea. There is a floral yet starchy-sweet undertone as well, and a note of roasted nuts. Overall, there’s a lot going on here without being overwhelming, as it is quite smooth and light except for the breakfast-tea-worthy caffeine kick. Wish I had more of this as well!

Wow what a yummy tea! Very malty and similar to the irish breakfast I drank yesterday but more smooth and no astringency! I love how this goes down my throat leaving nothing behind but just deliciousness! Will become definitely one of my go to black teas from now on.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Nutty

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is currently my favorite black tea and soon there will be no more. No more! what will I do? :o

On a brighter note, I got a late birthday present from my bro (My bday was Nov 22). Cute mug cozy (one of three) Here’s a picture, on a cup of this tea :)

Fjellrev

Happy belated birthday! Mine was the day before. My brother, on the other hand, took me out for dinner haha.

Shelley_Lorraine

well then, Happy birthday to you to :) I can hardly convince my brother to go out to dinner on me let alone him offering (he’s weird about going out to eat, lol)

Fjellrev

Ha! My brother is the opposite. I didn’t really have a choice.

Stephanie

Happy birthday to you both! This is also my favorite black right now. Have you tried it iced? sigh so good no matter how you make it. RIP Butiki :(

This was perfect to drink on a rainy day like today. It is tasty hot, but also tasty as it cools. I am usually multi tasking, and I rarely drink my whole cup before it cools, so this is important to me. It is a little astringent, but not enough to put me off, and tastes like a deep fruit. Like dates (which I am also eating for breakfast). Very nice.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Another from my goody bag from Stephanie! I did these out of order, since this was my first two cups of the day. I liked it a lot. Maybe not as much as Malty Irish Breakfast (I love the heavy malted teas) but it is a great and strong black.

Still watching The Civil War (Ken Burns) on Netflix today. The weirdest part to me is hearing them talk about all of these places around me and where I have lived. If the ground could talk…

Ever since mj sent me a sample of this tea I’ve been in love!
Could barely sleep last night but finally took a pain killer at 6. Thank God I have something to calm my stupid body down. xD Haven’t been able to sleep now, but figured tea would probably help calm me down some mentally and emotionally.
Think I was right. (:
Leave it to a lovely black tea to do the trick! ^^

Stephanie

I love this one very much too. Try it iced sometime, it is phenomenal!

Ost

Really? I would never think to have this one iced! I will have to try that! :O

mj

I’m glad you like it so much :)