The Black Lotus

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 g 12 oz / 351 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

This English Breakfast blend combines the best of three worlds, including some of our favorite teas from three different regions. Our Premium Taiwanese Assam adds chocolate and raisin notes and delivers a delicious malty flavor, while the Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special conveys almond, jasmine, and citrus notes. Finally, the Congou Keemun adds a touch of earthiness and mushroom notes. These premium teas blend well together to create a complex malty yet smooth breakfast tea that merits the name The Black Lotus.

Ingredients: Premium Taiwanese Assam, Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special, Congou Keemun

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F degrees

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This is a great blend. The Darjeeling lends a candy floral sweetness (I also enjoy the Giddapahar Darjeeling as a standalone). The Assam adds a malty backbone for that floral sweetness to stand on, with just a hint of the keemun in the background. It’s very light and refreshing for an English Breakfast blend.

Flavors: Flowers, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

Another lovely offering from Butiki. This one is a mixture of black tea leaves of various sizes, mostly very dark and twisty, with a few green leaves and golden frayed ones. It’s hard to believe from the aroma that there’s nothing but tea leaves in this blend, there’s such a bouquet of varying kinds of sweetness. The tea brews up to a clear, golden amber color. The flavor is malty and sweet, with a rich, complex feel and a lingering fuzzy finish that almost resembles a “golden” Yunnan black tea. There is a floral yet starchy-sweet undertone as well, and a note of roasted nuts. Overall, there’s a lot going on here without being overwhelming, as it is quite smooth and light except for the breakfast-tea-worthy caffeine kick. Wish I had more of this as well!

Wow what a yummy tea! Very malty and similar to the irish breakfast I drank yesterday but more smooth and no astringency! I love how this goes down my throat leaving nothing behind but just deliciousness! Will become definitely one of my go to black teas from now on.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Nutty

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I got this tea pretty much only because of the name. As for the tea description, I was worried about Keemun and darjeeling, two types of tea that I often don’t enjoy on their own.

When it first started brewing, I could smell the aroma of Keemun. I thought, well oh well, this was to be expected. Halfway through the brew time, the aroma became sweeter, more like the Assam that’s also in it. I didn’t detect the darjeeling so much except to notice that there were some green leaves in my steeper that threw me off at first – I thought maybe I didn’t clean it out well enough from the last use.

Anyway, the Assam makes this tea work for me. The Keemun gives it a robustness that makes it more suitable as a breakfast tea than Assam alone. As for the Darjeeling, besides the visual of the leaves, I can’t say that I notice it as much.

Overall, this tea is a lot better than I thought it would be. I am undecided about repurchasing, but I might do so on occasion just for the sake of variety in my cupboard.

Stephanie

This one is amazing iced!

Terri HarpLady

I wonder if I still have any of this in my cupboard….hmmm…

This was perfect to drink on a rainy day like today. It is tasty hot, but also tasty as it cools. I am usually multi tasking, and I rarely drink my whole cup before it cools, so this is important to me. It is a little astringent, but not enough to put me off, and tastes like a deep fruit. Like dates (which I am also eating for breakfast). Very nice.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Another from my goody bag from Stephanie! I did these out of order, since this was my first two cups of the day. I liked it a lot. Maybe not as much as Malty Irish Breakfast (I love the heavy malted teas) but it is a great and strong black.

Still watching The Civil War (Ken Burns) on Netflix today. The weirdest part to me is hearing them talk about all of these places around me and where I have lived. If the ground could talk…

Ever since mj sent me a sample of this tea I’ve been in love!
Could barely sleep last night but finally took a pain killer at 6. Thank God I have something to calm my stupid body down. xD Haven’t been able to sleep now, but figured tea would probably help calm me down some mentally and emotionally.
Think I was right. (:
Leave it to a lovely black tea to do the trick! ^^

Stephanie

I love this one very much too. Try it iced sometime, it is phenomenal!

Ost

Really? I would never think to have this one iced! I will have to try that! :O

mj

I’m glad you like it so much :)

My morning cuppa and I’m away from the house overnight. I left early this morning to house and dog sit for my parents, they have four dogs and one of them is ill and requires an operation which they have to travel a few hours for as it’s in a special clinic. Their dog Alfie has a liver shunt so they need to remove the sludge from his bladder, remove his testicles (as one is deformed due to the condition) and they are going to sort out the shunt. They are staying overnight in-case anything happens to him.

So my emergency (grab bag in-case of house sitting) tea was picked up and taken with me, The Black Lotus was one of those teas. I’ve had black tea each morning so it’s nice to do so today.

The tea leaves are dark brown/black and are thin and squiggly in shape, most are shortish/broken pieces that average a few mm. I can see they are a blend of black teas as some look like Darjeeling and others are darker and more Assam like. They have a gentle malt scent with a hint of sweet wood.

Once steeped my tea is golden brown in colour with a honey and malt scent. It is stronger than expected in flavour (in a good way) with honey, malt and wood tones (which match it’s raw scent). It’s a light black tea but with medium flavour which I’m finding very pleasing this morning. The sweet honey element makes this tea fairly smooth and easy to drink while at the same time not compromising in flavour.

I love this black tea blend, it’s everything I look for in a black tea.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Wood

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML
Veronica

I hope Alfie makes it through alright!

Yes good luck Alfie!

whatshesaid

good luck to poor Alfie!!

Best wishes for Alfie, poor thing :-(

KittyLovesTea

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I can happily report that Alfie is out of surgery now and the veterinary surgeon has said that everything has gone well so far. Their were several huge stones in his bladder made from calcium deposits over the years (that’s how long the vet took to find the problem) and they have been removed. Now all we can do is wait for him to recover, the side effect of the surgery are seizures and sometimes dogs get them so severely they need to be put down. Hopefully he will not experience any but only time will tell.

Ok, I’ll take a break from Lupicia until mj1851 posts some of her own reviews, and I’ll move on to this lovely blend that I’ve just been dying to try. This a sample from my girl mj1851, but I won’t lie: I almost bought it about 5 times before trying to knock some sense into myself like “But you have some coming! STOP!”

The moment is here! I really couldn’t tell you anything about the dry leaf other than it looks good and it smells good, as I was in way too much of a hurry to pour this into my mouth as quickly as possible. The cup I’m holding smells divine: malt, intense honey and raw sugar. As it hits my tongue, the malt is very pleasant, and although it is undeniably there, the honey notes are not as strong as I expected. Is there Darjeeling in this? There’s something that would make me think so, towards the end of the sip. There’s a pleasant nuttiness that wraps itself around the other flavours. The slight astringency makes it even more interesting.

I like it a lot. Add to cart.

mj

Haha get your Lupicia on! I’m watching family guy Star Wars spoofs with friends so I won’t be drinking tea until late tonight

Virginia

Gurl, I got me enough teas to try to last me like 3 months, so it’s really not an issue. I like seeing what you think before I try something too, it’s super interesting to compare my taste to yours. Happy Family Guy!

BLACK LOTUUUUUUS.
Family guy was hilarious as always

My first “breakfast tea” since I discovered good loose leaf. I can see where this is in the same class of some of the old bagged tea I once drank, but that is where the similarity ends. The body is that of a familiar breakfast tea, but the flavor demonstrates so much more depth. A bright smooth tea that is a true pleasure. I now understand what bright is in a tea. :) This one may have to go on my stocking list.

Thanks Stephanie for the sample