The Black Lotus

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 13 oz / 370 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From Butiki Teas

This English Breakfast blend combines the best of three worlds, including some of our favorite teas from three different regions. Our Premium Taiwanese Assam adds chocolate and raisin notes and delivers a delicious malty flavor, while the Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special conveys almond, jasmine, and citrus notes. Finally, the Congou Keemun adds a touch of earthiness and mushroom notes. These premium teas blend well together to create a complex malty yet smooth breakfast tea that merits the name The Black Lotus.

Ingredients: Premium Taiwanese Assam, Giddapahar Darjeeling Extra Special, Congou Keemun

Recommended Brew Time: 4 minutes
Recommended Amount: 1 1/2 teaspoon of tea for 8oz of water
Recommended Temperature: 212 F degrees

For more information, please visit: http://www.butikiteas.com

About Butiki Teas View company

This is a great blend. The Darjeeling lends a candy floral sweetness (I also enjoy the Giddapahar Darjeeling as a standalone). The Assam adds a malty backbone for that floral sweetness to stand on, with just a hint of the keemun in the background. It’s very light and refreshing for an English Breakfast blend.

Flavors: Flowers, Malt

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 4 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

Another from my goody bag from Stephanie! I did these out of order, since this was my first two cups of the day. I liked it a lot. Maybe not as much as Malty Irish Breakfast (I love the heavy malted teas) but it is a great and strong black.

Still watching The Civil War (Ken Burns) on Netflix today. The weirdest part to me is hearing them talk about all of these places around me and where I have lived. If the ground could talk…

This is my second Butiki tea!!! :D I’m so excited. Oh my goodness, you have no idea how excited I am! Got a sample of this from, mj! Thanks so much! Super stoked!
Wasn’t totally sure if I’d like this, to be honest.
But again with tea surprising me. xD
I wasn’t too big on the honey taste in teas. But this one is super malty, with a hint of honey in it that makes it sweet. I love this combo.
This tea is amazing! I’ll have to buy some myself now! Thanks for the sample, mj!!

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Sugar

mj

I’m glad you like it :-)

Ost

Thanks so much! :D So happy to try more of Butiki!

My morning cuppa and I’m away from the house overnight. I left early this morning to house and dog sit for my parents, they have four dogs and one of them is ill and requires an operation which they have to travel a few hours for as it’s in a special clinic. Their dog Alfie has a liver shunt so they need to remove the sludge from his bladder, remove his testicles (as one is deformed due to the condition) and they are going to sort out the shunt. They are staying overnight in-case anything happens to him.

So my emergency (grab bag in-case of house sitting) tea was picked up and taken with me, The Black Lotus was one of those teas. I’ve had black tea each morning so it’s nice to do so today.

The tea leaves are dark brown/black and are thin and squiggly in shape, most are shortish/broken pieces that average a few mm. I can see they are a blend of black teas as some look like Darjeeling and others are darker and more Assam like. They have a gentle malt scent with a hint of sweet wood.

Once steeped my tea is golden brown in colour with a honey and malt scent. It is stronger than expected in flavour (in a good way) with honey, malt and wood tones (which match it’s raw scent). It’s a light black tea but with medium flavour which I’m finding very pleasing this morning. The sweet honey element makes this tea fairly smooth and easy to drink while at the same time not compromising in flavour.

I love this black tea blend, it’s everything I look for in a black tea.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Wood

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 7 OZ / 200 ML
Veronica

I hope Alfie makes it through alright!

Yes good luck Alfie!

whatshesaid

good luck to poor Alfie!!

Best wishes for Alfie, poor thing :-(

KittyLovesTea

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. I can happily report that Alfie is out of surgery now and the veterinary surgeon has said that everything has gone well so far. Their were several huge stones in his bladder made from calcium deposits over the years (that’s how long the vet took to find the problem) and they have been removed. Now all we can do is wait for him to recover, the side effect of the surgery are seizures and sometimes dogs get them so severely they need to be put down. Hopefully he will not experience any but only time will tell.

Ok, I’ll take a break from Lupicia until mj1851 posts some of her own reviews, and I’ll move on to this lovely blend that I’ve just been dying to try. This a sample from my girl mj1851, but I won’t lie: I almost bought it about 5 times before trying to knock some sense into myself like “But you have some coming! STOP!”

The moment is here! I really couldn’t tell you anything about the dry leaf other than it looks good and it smells good, as I was in way too much of a hurry to pour this into my mouth as quickly as possible. The cup I’m holding smells divine: malt, intense honey and raw sugar. As it hits my tongue, the malt is very pleasant, and although it is undeniably there, the honey notes are not as strong as I expected. Is there Darjeeling in this? There’s something that would make me think so, towards the end of the sip. There’s a pleasant nuttiness that wraps itself around the other flavours. The slight astringency makes it even more interesting.

I like it a lot. Add to cart.

mj

Haha get your Lupicia on! I’m watching family guy Star Wars spoofs with friends so I won’t be drinking tea until late tonight

Virginia

Gurl, I got me enough teas to try to last me like 3 months, so it’s really not an issue. I like seeing what you think before I try something too, it’s super interesting to compare my taste to yours. Happy Family Guy!

BLACK LOTUUUUUUS.
Family guy was hilarious as always

My first “breakfast tea” since I discovered good loose leaf. I can see where this is in the same class of some of the old bagged tea I once drank, but that is where the similarity ends. The body is that of a familiar breakfast tea, but the flavor demonstrates so much more depth. A bright smooth tea that is a true pleasure. I now understand what bright is in a tea. :) This one may have to go on my stocking list.

Thanks Stephanie for the sample

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I love this one!

I must just have a really weird palate.

This blend isn’t heavy enough for a breakfast blend, in my belief, but it’s crazy tasty. It’s lovely and delicate, malty on its own but once a bit of sugar and cream is added, I’m getting buttered popcorn and toffee.

Maybe it’s because I’ve only had four hours sleep?

Thanks to Stacy for the sample! Yum.

I am home from mini vacation and just wanted to say that I’m drinking this iced right now and it is faaaaantastic!

Also if you are a foodie and live within driving distance of Cincinnati you MUST visit Jungle Jim’s International Market! www.junglejims.com

It is my new happy place LOL. Somewhat disappointing tea selection though…

Terri HarpLady

Cool! We have a kind of like that in St. Louis, called Global Foods. They have every amazing looking produce you never heard of! :)

Stephanie

Jungle Jim’s is insanely huge- 6 1/2 acres of store, I kid you not! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Jim’s_International_Market I’m not sure there is any other place quite like it!

Veronica

Wow. I adore my Wegman’s, but it’s nowhere near 6.5 acres!

Terri HarpLady

yeah, Global isn’t nearly as big as that, but they have every jelly, noodle, snack food, hot sauce, etc, from every place in the world. They have things in their huge freezer section like goat’s head. They have Balut eggs too.

inranger

I visit a cousin near the Fairfield store once a year or so, may have to make our next beer run there. :)

Stephanie

Yes, inranger you should! They have All The Beers! My husband brought home a LOT of different stuff! :D

My favorite thing so far was the Stroopwafels!

inranger

Thanks to Google, I now have to try stroopwafels myself!

Dinosara

Haha we drive past that place fairly frequently when we travel from southeast Ohio (where I live) to Louisville KY (where my parents live). I always noticed the sign because it was kind of funny. Guess we will have to stop sometime.

This is Butiki’s version of an English Breakfast tea. EB is generally not the sweet spot for me but this tea is. It has far more complexity than your usual EB. It is more medium-bodied and something I believe I prefer in the afternoon rather than as a morning tea. There is a bit of malt from the assam, a bit of sparkle mid-tongue from the darj and a nice, grounded bottom from the keemun to balance it all out. Overall, this tea is about balance to me. As it cools, there is a delicate, pretty floral waft up into my nose and really pleasant sweetness. My overall impression is that this tea is sweet and lovely with a bit of bottom and a bit of sparkle. Like LaVern Baker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-s_TTKlIGE
This is happy tea.
More on my blog : http://mizzprissy.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/the-black-lotus-butiki-teas/

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
Butiki Teas

Hi There-Would you mind PMing me? I can’t seem to message you.

This tea is very nicely balanced, plenty of flavor but never harsh or overwhelming. Honey is the predominant note for me, you won’t need to add much sweetener if any!