Doke Silver Needle

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Bonnie

• “*Thank you Stacy for this lovely sample tea!* I've been absent but busy lately tasting tea's that aren't ready for Steepster yet for a couple people, spent a little time with grandson Micah...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *CrowKettle* - this was a nice surprise sample! (Sipdown, 166) I waited until my variable kettle (http://bit.ly/1de2AJv) arrived so I could try it out! (Eeee! New kettle!!! I'm still...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1412 tasting notes
  • “This tea is so fragrant and rich smelling The taste is wonderful, woodsy, nutty, with light sweet creamy notes. I am not finding any cherry notes in this particular cup. I will pay closer...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes
  • “mmmmm yep. For a white tea, this one is really tasty :) I drank the entire cup without realising it, which is a sure sign that it's delicious! I'll have to restock this one once i run out for...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4044 tasting notes

From Butiki Teas

Our Doke Silver Needle originates from the Doke Tea Estate in Bihar, Northern India. This second flush utilizes the Chinese varietal and is AAA graded. Our Doke Silver Needle is hand-picked from an organic tea garden and consists of young, tender buds that are covered in soft down. This complex and malty full-bodied Indian white tea has wood, cherry, cocoa butter, cream, and almond notes. Some gentle floral and hay notes can also be detected. Doke Silver Needle is the perfect introduction to white tea as it has a lot of flavor and is also a little sweet.

About Butiki Teas View company

Thank you Stacy for this lovely sample tea!

I’ve been absent but busy lately tasting tea’s that aren’t ready for Steepster yet for a couple people, spent a little time with grandson Micah cooking vegetables, (he loves Brussel Sprouts!) and I went to a Native American Pow Wow at the University Saturday. ( a free local event http://youtu.be/65uifoEUMAw my homemade video)

I had just drifted off to sleep last night when there was a huge flash of light and loud explosion of thunder…bang! Hail then snow (it had rained during the evening briefly).

This morning there was fog and snow on the ground (which will melt quickly) so I made cauliflower alfredo and froze batches of the sauce for later. Here’s the link if you want to try the recipe. It’s not vegan, but it can be adapted. http://ahealthytreat.com/2013/09/26/cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/

After clean-up, I remembered that I had this tea from Stacy! I love Silver Needle and my friend Eric went “WOW” when he saw that it was ‘Doke’.

When you touch the leaves they feel like the softest velvet, remarkably delicate… slender, long strands that become longer and fatten up when wet. Beautiful olive green leaves with copper!

I placed the tea in my smallest Gaiwan, steeped a very short time at 180 degrees.

The aroma was a combination of bosc pear skin, honeysuckle, nutmeg and saffron.

I made a sweet cream white sauce yesterday, into which I grated fresh nutmeg. It was a rich and delicious sauce, delicate… without being too spicy. (the sauce became the base for stuffed Greek Zucchini)
When I tasted the Doke Silver Needle, I thought of sweet cream sauce I made the day before. Somehow, the connection between both sweet and savory, spice and tea came together. I love the combination.

I went to Butiki’s website to add this tea to Steepster and was surprised that my taste experience was so different than Stacy’s description. Maybe another time I’ll taste something different.

Tea is an ever-changing experience and Silver Needle is a tea that always takes me on a journey.

‘Doke’ Silver Needle Tea is complex and full flavored.

An exquisite tea!

Butiki Teas

Bonnie-That recipe would be very easy to vegan-ize and looks so delicious!

I am not at all surprised that your experience was quite different than our tasting note. To me, this tea can taste completely different depending on how its brewed. This is probably the only tea that I actually prefer western style because the malt notes come out a bit more this way.

Bonnie

I saved the bulk of the sample to taste with friends so I’ll try it Western Style next time. Thanks Stacy!

Butiki Teas

Bonnie-Great! I would love to know if you find it to taste substantially different depending on brewing style. Maybe its just me.

Bonnie

It’s always you Stacy, just sayin!

Hahaha. When in doubt, its probably me. :D

Thank you CrowKettle – this was a nice surprise sample! (Sipdown, 166)

I waited until my variable kettle (http://bit.ly/1de2AJv) arrived so I could try it out! (Eeee! New kettle!!! I’m still trying to figure out how it works, but I do like that it doesn’t beep or anything once the water is heated!

This is a really nice white tea. I don’t often drink white teas because they taste like barely flavoured water, but this one has a lot of neat flavours to it. I’m getting hay, and peach notes. Very nice!

Terri HarpLady

Nice! I want a new electric kettle, Leif has taken over mine?

Terri HarpLady

Oops, that wasn’t suppose to be a question

Cavocorax

Haha. I do that sometimes. ;)

I’m really happy I got one. I love that this one will keep the water warm for an hour!

This tea is so fragrant and rich smelling
The taste is wonderful, woodsy, nutty, with light sweet creamy notes. I am not finding any cherry notes in this particular cup. I will pay closer attention with my next cuppa. It is amazing to me how whites sometimes have that creamy feel to them
Wonderful choice on a cold winter afternoon.

mmmmm yep. For a white tea, this one is really tasty :) I drank the entire cup without realising it, which is a sure sign that it’s delicious! I’ll have to restock this one once i run out for those days when i want a lighter tea that is still refreshing, sweet and tasty. thanks for introducing this one to me Stacy!

Amariel

I had this tonight as well. Was a sipdown. Two steeps. Yum.

Thank you Stacy for this lovely sample tea you provided me in my last order. A lot of white teas are not very well understood by me, or perhaps they are too light for my palate. I’m not getting all of the tasting notes that other people are getting, but I do think this has a good flavor of almonds and cream with a nice sweetness in the finish. I am definitely getting some fruit but not so sure if it’s cherry. If I was going to keep another white tea around in my stash, this might be a serious contender. I’ve really enjoyed trying it and it’s nice on this sunny afternoon.

Sipdown. Nice white tea, sweet, floral, hay notes…retains a nice taste even when lukewarm. Doesn’t go astringent on me. Between this and the Glenburn Silver Needle I’m not sure which I’d rather as they’re both nice, but I’ll probably stock this again in the future.

Sipdown, and what a pleasant one at that!

This tea is just so pleasant, I hesitate to properly describe it in a way other than YUM! It’s a little sweet and fruity, and more body than most whites I’ve had. I’d love to see how the other Doke harvests are, as well as some of the other whites Stacy has to offer. I’m curious on the White Rhino, and maybe a few others.

Thanks CrowKettle for letting me have the rest of the pouch.

I got a package from CrowKettle yesterday, with a couple of teas she was looking to give away, but she also included a sample of this tea! Isn’t that nice?? :D

I was eager to steep this one up this morning…it has been so long since I’ve drank a straight white tea! It is very brisk and refreshing, with lots of hay and earthy notes, while still remaining light bodied. There are some light fruity overtones rounding out the experience. Very nice! Thanks again CrowKettle!

Stephanie

I accidentally let steep #2 go for a long time….and it tastes like darjeeling now! WEIRD! But tasty ;)